main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* RotS Soundtrack Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Pooja, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithlord_kev

Sithlord_kev Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2005
    I can't hear any tapping when does it take place???

2. LORD_MONSTROSITY

LORD_MONSTROSITY Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 23, 2004
    Put on some headphones, and you'll hear noises like pag turns, or Johns stick thing hitting his music stand, in a lot of songs.

You'd never hear it in the movie, and it doesn't detract from the music. In fact, it's cool to have the grit in there... like Nirvana music.

EDIT : I can't remember where, though.

There are lots in TESB.

3. LORD_MONSTROSITY

Apr 23, 2004
    I don't know for sure but try, Yoda's Theme, or the beginning of The Battle of Hoth (Ion Cannon/Imperial Walkers/Beneath th AT AT/Escape in the Millennium Falcon)

EDIT : I'll listen, mark it and get back to you.

4. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    My favorite track at the minute is Anakin's Betrayal it's BRILLIANT before I saw the movie I didn't really pay attention to it but now after seeing the movie 3 times it's so beautiful and tragic with it being the end of the Jedi I just love it also I love Anakin Vs Obi-Wan, Padme's Ruminations, Battle of the Heroes and the opening music I love the military like force theme it's brilliant, well basically the whole album is BRILLIANT.

5. Marie_Kenobi

Marie_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2002
    ObiWanCon, I think you just listed all of my favorite tracks, too! LOL

--Marie K.

6. LORD_MONSTROSITY

Apr 23, 2004
    To get back to you, the reason there seems to be so many of those taps and pg turns, is because alot of the album is quiet music.

You can here one of the taps in Anakin's dream, approximately in between 0:45 - 1:00.

7. MystikalMaceWindu

MystikalMaceWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2005
    My favorite track at the minute is Anakin's Betrayal it's BRILLIANT before I saw the movie I didn't really pay attention to it but now after seeing the movie 3 times it's so beautiful and tragic with it being the end of the Jedi I just love it
    When I got the soundtrack before the movie came out, that was and is my favorite track. It immediately grabbed me, and I listened to it more than any other. I thought it was going to be used when Anakin betrays Mace Windu (since it is called "Anakin's Betrayal" -- it should have been called "The Clones' Betrayal). But when I saw the movie, and the first lilting sounds of the track surfaced as Obi-Wan is shot at and falls to the water, I was pleased... it was used very well in the movie. The piece is very moving, fittingly somber, yet moving. When ROTS is on DVD, I will be watching the scenes where the Clones turn on the Jedi, over and over again.

8. XenoSkywalker

XenoSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    I LOVE the sountrack, and have asked for its hand in marriage...

...I am waiting for a reply shortly!

9. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I wouldn't go that far XenoSkywalker maybe a one night stand.....

WHAT DID I JUST SAY

10. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    Does anybody else love the way Princess Leia's theme (I think that's what it is) blends into Battle of the Heroes after 4 minutes on the New Hope and End credits track? For some reason, i just like it a lot.

'' 2. On track 8. Padme's Ruminations (haunting piece of music, BTW) After the lone womans voice has finished crying, very breifly, I think it reprise's Across The Stars, very lightly. Anyone else heard this? ''

It does indeed G-FETT. After listening to the track about 10 times I finally found it. Well spotted.

11. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I've had to see the film a few times and listen to the whole album a few more times to finally appreciate it.

The only real quibble I have with the music and this is from someone who cried (well I am a girl after all) at "Across the Stars" from AOTC soundtrack, is that the end titles are very, very disappointing. I LOVE the "triumphal procession" music from the OT as well as Leia's theme and those other cues however, unless the triumphal music was meant to represent the beginnng of the rebellion (and bits of the senate plot that were cut out of the final print).. well, it just didn't fit with the tone of the film imo. Too .. upbeat and triumphal (for lack of a better word), I suppose. I also missed the little musical easter eggs pegged onto the end of the end credits of both TPM and AOTC tracks (Anakins sweet little theme being discretely invaded by a subtle imperial march and the deep darth breathing at the end of the AOTC credits).

Having said all that, I thought that the Anakin/Padme love theme from AOTC worked wonderfully in the film as the faintest echo of it (as noticed in the "Padmes Ruminations" track) just added that little touch of bittersweetness into the emotional scene (I loved it in "Anakin's dream" too). "Anakins Betrayl" and "Anakins Dark Deeds" .. Anakins anything actually, sent shivers down my spine.

It'll take awhile for me to get as used to it as the music I grew up with from the OT (obviously) but I think that Williams should certainly take a lot of the credit for the films fantastic atmosphere.

12. Marie_Kenobi

Marie_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2002
    The ceremonial music at the end of the soundtrack caught me off guard, too. What's even more surprising is that's not even the music that was played at the end of the movie during the credits. So...was there a reason behind all this? You're right--the music is much too happy compared to the rest of the soundtrack to fit in. But, regardless, I love it. :)

I take it no one has run across a breakdown of the soundtrack in the film yet?

--Marie K.

13. bry-maul

bry-maul Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2005
    I posted what I thought was a track breakdown on the previous page. After seeing the movie, here's how I think it goes down. Of course bits and pieces of different scenes fall in each of these pieces, but this is as close as it gets, IMO.

SW and ROTS
    GG and the Droids
    G Speaks to Sids
    Anakin's Dream
    Palps Teachings
    GG
    Padme's Rumm
    Ani Betrayal
    Enter Vader
    Dark Deeds
    Ani v Obi
    BotH
    Immolate
    Birth and Destiny
    End and ANH

14. RangerFett

RangerFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2005
    Has anybody posted the music cues from the movie that did not make the soundtrack, specifically:

The music playing under the scene when we see Vader on the Star Detsroyer with Palpatine and Tarkin. Nice, somewhat haunting tune that I missed in the soundtrack.

There was also a up-tempo "fight" music playing underneath the Anakin/Dooku fight. Wherw was that in the soundtrack?

15. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I think John Williams just did the Ceremonial Music for fun, really. I think it's his way of enjoying himself and saying good bye to the Saga....

What we get of the CD is like the ROTS Closing Credits Concert Suite, whilst the actual movie version is a shorter, more somber affair.

16. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I've been doing some re-edits at home everytime I see the movie, trying to reconstruct it. Some of it just can't be done, but some of it can.

For instance, if you cut off about the last :40 of "Grievous Speak to Lord Sidious" it segues perfectly into "Anakin's Dream." Still trying to figure out where that last :40 fits.

"Palpatine's Teachings" works as a piece, expect for the heralding at the end, which is from much later in the film, when Obi-Wan meets up with Bail and Yoda on the Blockade Runner. I cut off the heralding, extended the bridge note, and raised the levels so that you could actually hear the track without raising the stereo volume to 11.

17. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I've never really understood why they mix the music up so much on the CD. I guess there must be some sort of commercial reason?

18. dehrian

Mar 18, 1999
    Williams prefers it that way. He thinks it makes for a more pleasing listening experience. He doesn't think a straight rip from the movie is particularly pleasing to the ear, for some reason. Personally, I think he has it backwards, but that's just me.

19. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well, I've got to say, out of the "mixed up" PT soundtracks and the "Extended" OT Soundtracks, the OT ones are my favourite, because they run the music in sequence from start to finish.

That might not work so well for other movies, but for Star Wars it does, because the music is actually telling the story.

20. bry-maul

Apr 5, 2005
    dehrian,

does my list look in the right order to you (if you consider the main focus of each piece)? the one i'm not sure about is GG and the Droids. After my last viewing I thought it might be part of the action on the Invisible Hand, but now I'm thinking it is actually the wheelbike scene, but can't place it in order with the other tracks. I assume it really just follows GG.

thanks!

21. dehrian

Mar 18, 1999
    does my list look in the right order to you (if you consider the main focus of each piece)? the one i'm not sure about is GG and the Droids.

That one's almost impossible. The bulk of it happens right in the middle of the "General Grievous" track, which begins with Obi-Wan riding Boga, and ends with Grievous/Obi-Wan fisticuffs. "Grievous and the Droids" takes place in the middle of all that. So it depends on how you want to hear it. It put it after "General Grievous" myself.

22. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    When I first got the soundtrack for ROTS I thought it was okay. Not great, but better than most other movie soundtracks. My main complaint was that I thought it didn't have enough of a main theme unique to ROTS throughout.

The other day I listened to the soundtrack again on my MP3 player as I was running. I was totally blown away by it! After seeing the movie and knowing what music goes where in the story, it makes it so much more powerful. It's dark, it's tragic, it's great!

Also, there's a subtle piece of music that I don't think is on the CD that REALLY adds depth to ROTS, imho. It's first heard when Anakin and Palpatine are talking, Palpatine says, "I hope you trust me..." Then a variation is played again when Mace is on the Clone Transport on his way to arrest Palpatine, after talking to Anakin in the hanger. I'm sure it's played other times as well, but those two I remember off the top of my head.

It's a little piece of music that goes with the story PERFECTLY-- it's the kind of music I always thought would be in the prequels when I first heard they were being made.

23. bry-maul

Apr 5, 2005
    but everything else looks in order?

thanks again!

24. Cam_Mulonus

Cam_Mulonus Jedi Master star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    I think I just noticed something rather startling...

Don't know if it's been brought up before, but near the end of BotH, there is a cue that is very similar to the cue where the first Death Star is destroyed. Not nearly as powerful, but very sad. I think it is supposed to be the same cue, but I could be wrong. Thoughts?

25. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Yeah I noticed that too Cam.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.