**OFFICIAL THREAD** Star Wars PT in HD. Blu Ray Saga Box Set in 2011.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Strilo, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I thought it would be fun to have a thread for discussing the PT on HDTV and on Blu Ray Disc. I know it's been shown on TV in HD. I wonder about releasing them on Blu Ray Disc in the near future...
  2. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Discs are for materialistic, Imperialist oppressors. :p

Now that that's out of they way...IIRC, Lucas was one of the early supporters of the Blu-Ray format and in fact, originally wanted to wait for *any* DVD release of Star Wars until Blu-Ray was available. Assuming that's still the case (and that I'm right in the first place :p) we should see PT on Blu-Ray before terrifically long.
  3. _Sublime_Skywalker_ Force Ghost

star 4
    Meh, Lucas might just be prolonging it for his own amusement.
  4. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    I don't have a Blu-Ray player, so I haven't given any thought to this.

The PT set will come out eventually, but probably not in the next 5-6 months
  5. CloneCaptainRex Jedi Master

star 4
    I remember an interview with Rick McCallum in SW insider about this around September '07. He said that they wanted to releasse them on HDDVD "soon".
  6. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    They won't be released on HD DVD at all.
  7. Mr Bungle Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm personally dying for both the OT and (especially) PT to come out in Blu-ray. I think both would shine in 1080p, but the PT in particular would look fantastic. TPM would benefit the most as it was shot on film.

However, I'm not sure I see it happening any time soon. Lucas is all about consumer demand. He will release them when he feels they'll make the most money. It's that simple. Soonest will be to coincide with the live action tv series to boost interest. That's a total guess, however.

You'd think that with his friend Coppola releasing the Godfather trilogy in BD format that ol' George might do the same. But we had to wait for almost six (?) years for the OT set to come out on standard DVD (the format debuted in 1997). This is my biggest problem with GL. For someone who embraces technology so much, he sure likes keeping it to himself. The only reason for it not being out yet: money.
  8. obi-rob-kenobi4 Force Ghost

star 4
    They need to just come out with the official saga edition with all 6 on blu-ray. I just cant stress it enough.[face_tired]
  9. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    What about HD? Has anyone seen the PT on TV in HD? I know Showtime or HBO has shown them from time to time...
  10. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Does viewing them via 1080i upscale on the 360 count?
    If so... then yes.
    Visually, ROTS is the most stunning... hands down.

And, I think Spike Tv has aired them as well. I've watched them soo many times on different channels that I can't remember which ones were in HD.
  11. TPF1138 Jedi Padawan

I need to see Revenge of the Sith on Blu-Ray. Saga editions can't come soon enough. Another pass on the originals wouldn't go a miss either, nothing drastic just little things, like cleaning up the lightsabers so they're consistent across the saga. Episode IV particularly needs this.

But thats just fan-wank, whats important is that these films find their way onto Blu-ray sooner rather than later. I really hope Lucasfilm are working on them right now.
  12. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    Episode 4 could use some extra touching work on the lightsabers so that they are more similar to the other ones in the Saga. Otherwise, there shouldn't be much outside of making everything a little sharper in the HD format.
  13. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    SSS no upscaling does not count. :p
  14. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Figures.
    It was worth a shot anyways.

:D
  15. -Commander_Thigh- Jedi Master

star 4
    What better time to release them on Blu-Ray than next year, the 10th anniversary of TPM?

16. Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I can't imagine they would be out anytime soon, unless LFL keeps up with their releases once every one or two years. I was at Borders the other day and saw PT and CT box sets I had never seen before, so I assume they'd want to finish off with those first. And also, if I was to venture a guess, they would probably want to make some changes to the films, as that would help to sell them. It'd be tough to convince people to buy the films on Blu Ray so soon after having bought them on DVD, so they'd need an angle like "come see the UPDATED prequels" to convince more people.

At least that's what I would do in their position.
  17. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. By allowing people to buy the box sets and have them for a while before releasing the Blu-Ray versions is brilliant. That way, along with advertising "Updated Versions' of the films, people will want to buy the new versions because the box sets would have been out for a while and would not contain "Updated" films.
  18. obi-rob-kenobi4 Force Ghost

star 4
    We need more special features!

I really hope when the saga box set does come out they put a LOT of good documentary's and things in it.

The ones in the dvds now are so good but there is just not enough of them.
  19. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I want more deleted scenes.
  20. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    ^^Yes^^

And also, I want extended PT scenes...
    There are two OT scenes I want really bad:

"Seven Cuts" and "None Shall Pass"
  21. DARTH-SMELLY-FEET Jedi Youngling

star 3

Big time, there is loads off stuff that didn't make the cut for some reason that I really want to see.
  22. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I also love outtakes. I want a 10 minute blooper reel for each one of the films.
  23. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    Only 10 minutes? I want ALL the bloopers :p

I've just seen AOTC in HD and it was absolutely stunning =P~
  24. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    Bloopers are good. I've never seen a blooper reel that's lasted 10 minutes before, though.
  25. Obi-Wan-1000 Force Ghost

star 4
    I wonder when Lucas will release them on Blu-ray. I wonder how much they will cost.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.