main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**OFFICIAL THREAD** Star Wars PT in HD. Blu Ray Saga Box Set in 2011.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Strilo , Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Since this is the first complete set with all six movies, I expect the Blu Rays to be the FINAL final versions.

2. Darth_Kathy_Weezly

Darth_Kathy_Weezly Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    So now the complete set is to be released next fall.

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yup I saw that. Saga boxed set in 2011. It's official!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Ok.....since they are releasing them in hi-def that means that they would HAVE TO fix the color problems or at least they lightsabers color problems in the OT right? I mean there is just no way to get around it, by transferring the films over to HI-DEF its just a given...right???

5. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Or we're just going to have a Hi-Def color-changing lightsaber. :p

6. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Please god no. Please no.

7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I would hope so. Blu Ray's resolution to ME means being exceptionally careful and exact in order to get a flawless transfer.

8. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    There have been some pretty bad Blu-ray transfers...
    [image=http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/adzez/Star%20Trek/e3291f42.png]

But as I've posted before, hopefully (and it will if done right) it'll look like this:
    [image=http://www.artfutura.org/img/imgs_05/zip/ILM%20-%20Star%20Wars.jpg]

And not this:
    [image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080118161852/starwars/images/9/9d/Military_Complex.jpg]

9. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    IIRC, the OT is already IN HD, on the film-to-HD transfers by Lowry that were the basis for the 2004 DVDs. Hopefully they'll color-correct those, but there's sadly a decent chance they'll just pop out the Lowry transfers with all the color problems intact.

10. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007

Indeed something like that is what im now VERY worried about witch is why we should be trying to find out as much as we can about this release.

But i cant see anyone (even someone as pig headed as Lucas) blowing the last big release of the saga witch the whole world has been waiting for by not even so much as putting them through ONE LAST cleaning process. They said right in the press release after it was first announced that they would be "utilizing the highest possible picture and audio presentation possible".

That coupled with the fact that this box set happens to be THE ONE that has been anticipated for YEARS by everybody is what gets my hopes up that Lucas will take this big opportunity to just do a quick once over of the films for any mistakes or bloopers like vaders pink lightsaber.

Isn't true HD a whole different ballpark anyways? What i mean by that is even if George Lucas somehow just deliberately did not want to improve the dvd versions of the OT wouldn't he be FORCED TO in order to transfer the films into blu-ray? I mean we are talking about crystal clear 1080p definition here not just the average 720p we get when they show the movies on spike tv.

11. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Assuming GL knew what he was talking about (and he may not have), the Blu-ray editions will be the 1997 special edition transfers, which could be better or worse than the DVDs.

They really should get the original film from collectors, which can still be in decent shape, like this guy has:
    http://www.jedi1.net/

12. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    I feel kind of the opposite. Given Lucas's track record, I don't see the point in getting worked up about this thing until we find out whether it's going to be worth it or not.

Might as well just not worry about it until the release, then check the reviews for all the details and decide to buy it or not.

It's not like we can pressure Lucas into doing any more work on these films than he wants to do. Heck, for all we know he considers the color problems his "realized vision"!

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    When Green-ray gets invented, they'll release FINAL final final versions.

In a box shaped like Yoda's head.

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I was just thinking that if the Blu-Ray release is done well and doesn't have the color, etc. issues being discussed above, that I may finally buy a Blu-Ray player. But maybe I'll just wait for a Green-Ray player instead.

15. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    I'll just wait for a pink-ray player and then the pinksabers will finally match.

16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I agree. If they didn't do at least SOME color correcting, there would be a LOT of color-bleed and saturation on certain things, like lightsaber effects, certain colors in ANH, and Hoth. If there is no color correction for Blu-Ray, then those vivid colors would be all over the place on the screen...and it would take things like matte boxes around TIE fighters (like in ANH) and make them even MORE obvious. So if they want the Blu-Rays to do the SW saga true HD justice, then they really just...HAVE to do some color correction...:-B

17. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I know that they did the digital transfer for the Lowry restorations, but that wasn't necessarily HD though, right? There would definately HAVE to be some "upconverting" of the resolution in order to put it in blu-ray format-even from the 2004 DVD transfers...

18. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    Exactly what im thinking.

19. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    The transfers were definitely in HD - that was the whole point, to preserve the films in the highest possible digital format.

What I'm not so sure about is whether the effects added to the transfers for the 04 DVDs were rendered in HD - I imagine they would have been, though I suppose it's possible they weren't.

But by and large, the films have been ready to be printed to Blu-Ray discs for the better part of a decade.

20. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    =D= =D=

21. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Well then this one better be shaped like Max Rebo.

22. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Star Wars on Blu-Ray: Now With More Max Rebo Likeness . . .

But that would only work for the entire Saga on Blu-Ray, since Rebo was not in the PT.

23. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    His music plays in Dex's Diner. That's good enough for me. :p

24. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Fine. You win. :p

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Also the Blu Ray release is a saga boxed set... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.