**OFFICIAL THREAD** Star Wars PT in HD. Blu Ray Saga Box Set in 2011.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Strilo, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    They do have green boxes for Blu-Ray releases already, so the full saga release on Blu-Ray could still come in a Yoda box. :p
  2. DARTH_BELO Force Ghost

star 4
    This brings up an interesting idea:

I wonder what the actual box/packaging WILL look like, and how it will be designed, for the Saga blu-ray....?

Remember back before the 2004 DVD packaging was first shown, and we caught glimpses of three different designs we thought for a while WERE the packaging, then we found out that was just a test model...

Does anyone know where images of those can still be found? It would be interesting to see them again...
  3. Chance the Jedi Force Ghost

star 5
    I've never seen the different designs for them, but did they look something like this?

[image=http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/7396/swtrilogynewkind33qv.png]
  4. thecolorsblend Jedi Knight

star 1
    The below are the only supposed alternatives I ever heard about.

[image=http://www.blissnet.org/tfn/01.jpg]

[image=http://www.blissnet.org/tfn/02.jpg]

[image=http://www.blissnet.org/tfn/03.jpg]
  5. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    No Blu-Ray player here right now. I'm getting one just for the release of these films. Although my husband rolled his eyes when I told him about the one-year deadline. :p

I want more deleted scenes. They filmed over four hours of footage for AOTC.
  6. Melancholy Force Ghost

star 4
    If Lucas had a clue, he?d have the BluRay set come in a Jedi set and a Sith set.

Have some cool head shaped packaging made like what was done with the Alien Quadrilogy.

[image=http://i53.tinypic.com/346m51s.jpg]

Have one set come in a Yoda head and the other come in a Vader head.

If you consider yourself Jedi, you buy the Yoda head.

If you consider yourself Sith, you buy the Vader head.

You might even get some Strilo edit: Let's go with "fans" to actually buy both. He needs to do something slick because these things already sound like a disaster.

No old OT in Hi-Def
    No SE versions for the PT other than removing Yoda puppet in TPM.

A few OT deleted scenes won?t get it done.

If they don?t fix all of the problems with the 2004 SE-DVD release (color problems, saber scoping problems, audio nightmares all over the place, etc. al.), then these things will set new records for store shelve life.
  7. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    Knowing the LucasFilm habits of getting as much material out there as possible, i can definitely see your Jedi and Sith box sets being released together.

The real stickler is what is being done to make the movies ready for the Blu-ray stage. There are a lot of color issues, sound issues, etc. that need to be cleaned up before the release occurs. If they are fixed, then I agree that their shelf life will be a lot better and sales probably would be higher than if they weren't fixed or a mediocre retouching job was done.
  8. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    An inside source at Lucasfilm confirmed my suspicion that there is a little team that has been working on updates for the SW films for a while now. Most likely since 1997 or at least prior to the 2004 updated DVDs.
  9. Anakin_Skywalker20 Force Ghost

star 5
    So... there won't be any SE of the PT?? Man...that..sucks. :(
  10. DARTH_BELO Force Ghost

star 4

YEAH, these are the ones!! WOW - what a blast from the past!!!
  11. StampidHD280pro Force Ghost

star 4
    If that meant a decent looking Jabba in ANH, it would be a dream come true.
  12. obi-rob-kenobi4 Force Ghost

star 4
    So can you tell us more?
  13. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    They did not know more, as they are not on that team.
  14. apotampkin Jedi Master

star 1
    Wut, why? :(

I was already fantasising about the blu-ray player I was going to buy for this... but if it's just a OT SE 2.0 I think I'll pass [face_not_talking]
  15. Anakin_Skywalker20 Force Ghost

star 5
    I meant if they're gonna work on the PT more...other than replacing puppet yoda with digital in TPM. I like to see more footage that was filmed but never made it into the final cut of EP2 and Ep3. Though, unlikely.
  16. Melancholy Force Ghost

star 4
    I hope that Strilo is right, but I'm already getting bad vibes about this thing. o_O

I've always felt Lucas shows little respect for the fans. It's like he thinks we'll just accept anything he does so long as it has the Star Wars stamp on it. You'd think that some simple observational understanding would prevent this belief, but some people are stubborn beyond words. [face_shame_on_you]

Unfortunately, the few that do do this don't make things any easier for the rest of us. What is that famous P.T. Barnum line? :oops: Let's face facts; this thing needs to be grand. This is probably the last DVD release as far as the films are concerned. He needs to pull out all the stops.

Listen, people aren't going to run out and buy old VHS box sets to get some old docs, but they'd be happy to get them all with this set. Go back. Go back and get everything in terms of footage, docs, ads, etc. al. that's been on all of the different VHS, laserdisc, and DVD releases and throw it all into this set. Call it something like "The one final definitive set that has it all" sort of thing.

Try to add as many of the deleted scenes from the OT into the set. Take the time to do some commentary for each like with the prequels.

Fix all of the audio and video problems with the 2004 release. We're talking serious, serious gaffes here. To be honest, I'm not sure the people working on this thing are aware of all the gaffes. They don't even remember to do little things like fix some of the flipped images. Boba Fett's range finder in Jabba's palace anyone? :confused:

Weird pink flashes that cover the screen.
    Saturating the OT films is some odd blue hue.
    Lightsabers are all messed up.
    I could type for hours and hours concerning the audio and video problems as the list is ridiculously (and embarrassingly) long.

Even if they are working on this, I?ll all but guarantee that they?ll still miss dozens of things.

As far as the PT is concerned, just about anyone knowledgeable about film knows that The Phantom Menace print is severely lacking compared to the other two. I?m hoping for a whole new print of that film. Probably not going to happen.

You know what I?ve noticed in the last year or so? The DVDs of the prequels selling out in some stores and going for surprisingly expensive amounts at auction sites. Why? Because fans were no doubt expecting new Special Editions of the PT with this BluRay set. The reintegration of footage/scenes shot but not used.

The full podrace for instance, or Anakin meeting Padme?s parents.
    The longer Anakin/Dooku duel in Episode II. Yes, it was shot.
    Birth of the Rebellion scenes and Yoda landing on Dagobah.

That?s just to name a few.

Are they relegated to the extras disc forever? No attempt at something like seamless branching which provides the best of both worlds: Two versions of a particular film.

No Original Unaltered Trilogy? Seriously, George? :mad: Even a simple thing like adding the OUT in standard definition to the box set would be a classy move. Only make them anamorphic this time. Is that so much to ask? Stop pouting and being bitter that a large percentage of the fan base wants the movies they fell in love with on the big screen and home video. It doesn?t mean you SE falls by the wayside. Besides, what do you care what people watch in the privacy of their own homes? If you think denying them to us will make us forget them, you should have stayed awake in your pop-psychology classes at USC.

This set needs to trump the legendary Blade Runner and Alien Quadrilogy BluRay sets. This is Star Wars after all. Star Wars! Come on, George. Step up. Use the fans. We?ll help. Create some way through STAR WARS Insider magazine or starwars.com to get the fans input and yes, their help. Your people won?t notice all the problems with the 2004 set. Be honest, they?re sycophants. This includes any private company people you hire to handle the DVD work. No doubt that some of them downright loathe you, but they won?t have the power to do/fi
  17. StampidHD280pro Force Ghost

star 4
    Don't focus on the negative. They ARE working on it.
  18. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    People see what they want to see. Has anything even been said about the OOT being or not being on this release?
  19. Darth_Monkey_Boy Jedi Grand Master

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4996

Watching non-anamorphic movies isn't really a big deal to me. Just the other night I watched "Tremors" and "2 Days in the Valley" framed in black bars, but still had a wonderful time! Besides, I only watch the OOT side-by-side with the SE 'cuz I find it fun on a bun to actually see just how much GL changed things (never thought I'd have a need for that feature in my tv, who'da thunk it?). When I watch the entire saga, only the SEs get any play. Just flows better. So no complaints here. However, I can understand that those of you who don't wanna acknowledge the PT would have a few... Still, I'm sure he'll re-release 'em sooner or later. He did it with the DVD, and he had promised they would never see the light of day after the SEs were released.
  20. StampidHD280pro Force Ghost

star 4
    If the artist George Lucas doesn't like the idea of an OOT on Blu Ray, the businessman will. Remember the Coke II fiasco. Lucas knows what he's doing.
  21. obi-rob-kenobi4 Force Ghost

star 4
    I have a very good feeling about this blu-ray set. I think this time (at the very least) the whole saga will be smoothed out with subtle little needed changes/fixes and then that will be the version that we see in 3D in 2012.

Im just mad i have to wait until next Christmas to get it!:_|:-B
  22. Anakin_Skywalker20 Force Ghost

star 5
    so any word if the PT is being tweeked or being re-released as is when the films first came out?

all I know is that Yoda will be changed from puppet to digital in TPM. I knew that for a long time.
  23. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I don't believe there is any official word at all. But then there was no word about the changes on the 2004 DVDs either. Actually the rumors were denied the entire time until we had the DVDs with additional changes.
  24. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't think this set will be the definitive version of all the movies. And here is why:

They are being released in 3D the following year. Meaning there is a 99.99999% chance that Lucas will change more stuff. And most likely release the movies again with the changes.

Is anyone else thinking along these lines?
  25. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    When and if 3D TV technology becomes standard, like Blu-Ray/HD televisions are now, Lucas will probably release the 3D movies as their own box set. Of course, this will be a long way off (as the first one comes out in two years), but with any of the movies coming out in that format, it's pretty logical that another release can be made out of the saga beyond the release on Blu-Ray. So, yes, I see your point; Blu-Ray is not the end of the release/film tinkerings in any way.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.