main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official Thread* The Film Music Critics Society: Now Discussing: Braveheart

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Darth-Lutgerous, Sep 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I cannot disagree more. I think Zorro is one of Horner's MOST interesting scores that stands away from the film quite well. I think it smokes the hell out of Titanic, which was overrated bandwagon jumping unoriginality. I just played some of this score for TwiLekJedi who seemed to like it well enough. I cannot wait to see if Horner does the score for the sequel. I would love to see another score from him that I like. I haven't like much since 1998.

2. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Yeah, I have to completely disagree, Mastadge, and go with Strilo. Mask of Zorro has more flourishes of colour than my nephew's finger paintings.

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Well, I've only listened to it once or twice outside the film. I'll give it another go one of these days; maybe I just was in the wrong mood when I listened to it before. We'll see.

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    yep, I did like the few parts I heard. I must say to me it actually sounded quite un-Horner-like, which is a very good thing.

5. Darth-Lutgerous

Darth-Lutgerous Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    I personally enjoy The Mask of Zorro film score. Even though I do not have the soundtrack, I liked the upbeat action music and the enduring theme for Elena and her father and mother. I think it is one of Horner's best. I agree with what many of you have said and I give it ****. (Around Jurassic Park's level, but not as good as Medicine Man)

I will update the next soundtrack in about four days (a week after one appears). Here is a hint:

This score is an Academy Award winner in the late nineties in the Best Original Musical or Comedy Score category (sorry its not Titanic guys). Remember, I'm trying to stay with great scores that we never talked about here before.

And please...post your rating!!! Thanks.

EDIT: Remember, 5 out of 5 is usually for a truly exceptional movie score. Don't worry, I'll pick some really good ones.

6. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    I rather like the score to The Mask of Zorro. I have only seen the movie once, and that was a while ago, so I don't remember how the score played in the film, but I really enjoy listening to it on its own. The album's opening track The Plaza Of Execution is probably my favorite, but I also like the great action in Tornado In The Barracks. All in all, I'll give it ****.

7. RurouniKJS

RurouniKJS Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2005
    I loved Mask of Zorro when in was in theatres, so I took a liking to the score. Over time, though, it's become one of my least played CDs. Only 3/5.

8. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    Here are the soundtracks we've discussed so far and their average ratings (Remember they are rated out of *****, It seems right now we've given pretty good ratings):

Medicine Man (Goldsmith) ****

Jurassic Park (Williams) ****

The Mask of Zorro (Horner) ****

The next soundtrack we will discuss is Shakespeare in Love by Stephen Warbeck. It has great, memorable tracks from the triumphant The Beginning of a Partnership to the soothing The End. I have to say, it is one of the more deserving scores to win the Oscar in the past 10 years.

Here's a link to a review by Filmtracks:
    http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/shakespeare_love.html

* If this is your first time here or you missed the last discussions, please feel free to rate the previous scores as well.

* Don't forget to give a rating!!! After all, we are the Film Music Critics Society!

9. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    I haven't heard the soundtrack to Shakespeare in Love except in the film and I really can't remember much of it. Sorry.

I did love the film, though.

10. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    Shakespeare in Love is a fantastic score that fits the setting and love in the movie perfectly. The dances, the triumph, the play, and the parting are all captured beautifully in the themes and tracks. It's definitely Warbeck's masterpiece: **** 1/2.

Depending on the number of responses I get, I might pick a new soundtrack during the week. I know not many of you have seen the romance, but the music is DEFINITELY worth it. The next score I pick will be from a foreign animated movie. Guess away!

11. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    Spirited Away?

12. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    No, but close. Keep thinking. Any other responses to Shakespeare in Love?

13. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Foreign animated movie... The Triplets of Belleville?

14. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    No, Spirited Away is closer. Same composer. Shakespeare in Love, anyone?

15. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    Princess Mononoke? Howl's Moving Castle? Castle in the Sky?

16. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    You'll just have to wait to find out.

17. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    I liked the Bellville Rendezvous song.

18. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001

I agree. The Triplets of Belleville is probably the best jazz score I've ever heard.

19. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    Here are the soundtracks we've discussed so far and their average ratings (Remember they are rated out of *****):

Medicine Man (Goldsmith) ****

Jurassic Park (Williams) ****

The Mask of Zorro (Horner) ****

Shakespeare in Love (Warbeck) **** 1/2

The next soundtrack we will discuss is Princess Mononoke by Joe Hisaishi. It has epic music from start to finish with memorable Asian-influenced tracks and instruments. The Legend of A****aka is a fantastic main theme that appears in the movie and on the cd quite often. Other tracks such as Into the West and A****aka and San (which has a brilliant piano part) are just as captivating, but are much more soothing. It has a great underscore and even some of the shorter tracks are fun to listen to.

Here's a link to a review by Filmtracks:
    http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/princess_mononoke.html

If you have never heard this soundtrack before, check out clips on amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00001U06H/qid=1127668110/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-5444876-5499229?v=glance&s=music

* If this is your first time here or you missed the last discussions, please feel free to rate the previous scores as well. Just specify which scores you are rating.

* Don't forget to give a rating!!! After all, we are the Film Music Critics Society!

20. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Princess Mononoke was the first anime score I had. Some tracks work a lot better in the movie, but it still is a beautiful listen. I only dislike the kinda weird cues around the Forest God. The emotional, suspenseful and action cues work very well, I think. And the more mysterious cues really convey a far better sense of being in a very different, fantastic place than many other scores that are supposed to be in "another world". Probably not the best it could be, but imo definitely worth a 4/5.

and I never said anything to Jurassic Park because I was a bit surprised that so many people called it bland wallpaper music. After Star Wars the Jurassic Park scores were the first I bought. 4/5, too ;)

21. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Princess Mononoke's quite good. I do prefer the "symphonic suite" to the regular score.

22. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    I said Princess Mononoke!:mad:

23. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    I didn't say yes and I didn't say no. I just didn't want to give it away before today. Thanks for responding guys.

24. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    Fine. I remember watchnig this film a while ago. From what I remembered, this score was pretty interesting.

25. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    Can you give it a rating? If not, maybe the amazon link can refresh your memory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.