main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official Thread* The Film Music Critics Society: Now Discussing: Braveheart

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Darth-Lutgerous, Sep 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Lutgerous

Darth-Lutgerous Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    I really enjoyed the score when I saw the movie. It was one of the reasons I desperately wanted the soundtrack. The music is absolutely beautiful and is probably the best I have heard in an animated movie. The main theme is very majestic and the softer piano track really is a fantastic listen. I rate this **** 1/2 (really close to 5).

Remember, if you have any suggestions for future picks, please state them!

2. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
  3. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    Thanks, I'll add it to my list at home. I've never seen the movie or heard the score though.

4. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    Here are the soundtracks we've discussed so far and their average ratings (Remember they are rated out of *****):

Medicine Man (Goldsmith) ****

Jurassic Park (Williams) ****

The Mask of Zorro (Horner) ****

Shakespeare in Love (Warbeck) **** 1/2

Princess Mononoke (Hisaishi) **** 1/2

The next soundtrack we will discuss is Dragonheart by Randy Edelman. It is an epic soundtrack with fantastic themes from the light-hearted Bowen's Theme to the majestic Draco's Theme. The score works perfectly with the movie and some of the themes are even heard during events on tv and during movie trailers. The main theme is so well written I love hearing it during the movie and it makes the finale so sad. It is definitely Edelman's best score.

Here's a link to a review by Filmtracks:
    http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/dragonheart.html

If you have never heard this soundtrack before, check out clips on amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002P19/qid=1128274668/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-0130529-6185634?v=glance&s=music

* If this is your first time here or you missed the last discussions, please feel free to rate the previous scores as well. Just specify which scores you are rating.

* Don't forget to give a rating!!! After all, we are the Film Music Critics Society!

5. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    One of Edelman's best, along with Dragon and Gettysburg. A divine main theme that sounds good both orchestrally and electronically, and plenty of fun, energetic cues. Four, maybe 4.5 stars from me.

6. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    My aunt showed me that movie once, and I loved it (I still love dragons, not sure how much I loved them before) and back then it was one of the few movies where I actually noticed the music. It took me a long time to finally buy it, but it's a good listen on its own, even though I don't end up listening to it that often. But you just inspired me to do so ;)

I'll give a 4/5 again. I think it could use a bit more variation.

7. QUI-DON-JINN

QUI-DON-JINN Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    One of my favorite scores. A great main theme and some wonderful smaller themes. "Bowen's Ride" is one of my favorite cues. It was one I went out and bought right after the movie got out. The only thing is that it's rather short (about 45 minutes or so?). I don't know if there is unreleased music, but I would be interested in a longer release.

8. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    QUI-DON, can you rate Dragonheart?

9. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    What a great score! This is one of the scores in my collection that I've never seen the film to match the music to. I find it especially wonderful when music from a movie can be listened to without specific images to match it to and it still remains both thouroughly enjoyable and emotional. My favorite track is probably the amazing "To the Stars", especially when the soft choir comes in. I also enjoy the lighter playful tracks like in the beginning of "The Last Dragon Slayer". I'll give it 4.5/5 stars.

10. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    Ok, how about Beauty and the Beast or Glory?

11. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    Any comment for Dragonheart, Indiana?

12. QUI-DON-JINN

Feb 2, 2005
    Sorry for the delay.

4 out of 5 ex-dragon hunters. ;)

13. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    Dragonheart is a fantastic score with awesome themes and melodies, especially To the Stars, or Draco's Theme. The music fits so perfectly with the movie that it really makes it sad when Draco sacrifices himself. His solemn theme is played as his ashes float up to the constellation in the sky named after him and it is truly a magical moment in film music. I rate Dragonheart ***** for how it sounds in the movie. It is definitely worth seeing if you haven't seen it. I have yet to hear the soundtrack and it may alter my decision. Dragonheart is one of my favorites and it is always fantastic to hear the great cues and themes in the movie.

14. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    Here are the soundtracks we've discussed so far and their average ratings (Remember they are rated out of *****):

Medicine Man (Goldsmith) ****

Jurassic Park (Williams) ****

The Mask of Zorro (Horner) ****

Shakespeare in Love (Warbeck) **** 1/2

Princess Mononoke (Hisaishi) **** 1/2

Dragonheart (Edelman) **** 1/2

The next soundtrack we will discuss is Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade by John Williams. It is a fantastic soundtrack and shows the great depth and range of Williams. From the triumphant Raiders March to the breathtaking Grail Theme, the Last Crusade is full of memorable themes and tracks. Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra, Escape from Venice, and Keeping Up with the Joneses are just three great tracks from the CD and have great moments during the film. This soundtrack is surely one of Williams' best.

* Here's a link to a review by Filmtracks:
    http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/last_crusade.html

* If you have never heard this soundtrack before, check out clips on amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002LHC/qid=1128989885/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-1473362-7839839?v=glance&s=music

* If this is your first time here or you missed the last discussions, please feel free to rate the previous scores as well. Just specify which scores you are rating.

* Don't forget to give a rating!!!

15. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    It's got some good themes, but also some real yawner tracks. And the sound quality's not great. It's a good score, but it doesn't come close to Raiders. I'd give it 3.5 stars.

16. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    If you have the Extended bootleg, you'll know how great this Score is. I love Belly of the Steel Beast, the theme for Panama Hat, and of course, The March of the Nazis. I give it a ****1/2.

17. QUI-DON-JINN

Feb 2, 2005
    I like this score, but it's not as rousing as Raiders and not as darkly interesting as Temple. I do like the Grail theme, one of Williams' more subdued and underrated themes. Probably the best track is the "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra." That's fun and some good action music.

I have to give this score a rating like you see at Filmtracks:

As heard in the film: 3.5 stars
    Regular release (since I don't have the expanded): 3 stars.

18. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    While I agree that the score does have some 'yawn tracks' the majority of the Last Crusade is great fun. The Grail theme has to be one of Williams' most underrated themes, and Scherzo for Orchestra and Motorcycle has to be one of the funnest cues recorded by Williams. However, what really makes this score for me is the Nazi's March. I absolutely LOVE this theme. Okay, so it isn't as good as the IM, but had Williams not written that, I would say this is easily his best 'bad guy' theme ever written. Just fun, over-the-top comic book action stuff.

4 out of 5.

Lutgerous - you're gonna have to start choosing bad scores soon, or it will look like we just give any score great marks!

19. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Last Crusade is my least favorite. The new themes are good, but they're used uninterestingly, for the most part. The underscore is at many times dull, as is the action. The Raiders March is used very frequently but very weakly (e.g. briefly and overly bright).

"To Castle Brunwald" is astonishingly good for being such a short cue, and conjures scenes of old horror movies like Frankenstein.

20. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    I'm gonna have to be in somewhat of the minority here. Last Crusade is easily me favorite of the Indiana Jones scores (the film as well). The score is very thematic with the wonderful Grail Theme, the fantastic Nazi March (I love this one so much that I actually hum it when it appears in the film), and of course you have the Raider's March mixed in. I also find the action music fun and interesting, particularly Belly of the Steel Beast, and Scherzo for Orchestra and Motorcycle.

I'll agree there are a few slow parts, but I just love this score. 5/5

21. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Yeah, I've never quite understood why no-one likes the Last Crusade as much as the other two. Maybe it is just because I've had this score way longer than the other two that makes me fonder of it than your average person.

22. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    Someone mentioned that they liked Last Crusade because it has a variety of different musical inspirations.

23. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    Don't worry! I've got a good one coming up that should bring lots of conflicting views....

24. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    I'd be interested in what people have to say about Eric Serra's Goldeneye. :D

25. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is one of my favorite scores. I love Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra, the Grail Theme, the Nazi Theme, Keeping Up with the Joneses, Escape from Venice, and of course - Raider's March. It really has very powerful moments, especially at the end of the movie. I agree with what some people said before me, it does have some slow/"yawn" tracks, but the majority of the music is grade A material. Williams did a fantastic job. My rating is **** 1/2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.