main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* The Obi-Wan / Anakin Duel

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SLAVE2, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithninja

Sithninja Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    I think this will be the most packed part of Episode III besides the Space Battle.

2. JayKid

JayKid Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2002
    I have to believe that Lucas will not change the original ideas for this scene. This is possibly the most important moment in any of the movies.

And to comment on others who have the idea of bringing more Jedi into this battle, with the idea of that being the moment the Jedi get wiped out. KNOW YOUR HISTORY! Palpatine sends Vader out to destroy the remaing Jedi, leaving only Yoda and ObiWan. I think that this moment might be in EPIII, depending on when the battle is placed in the movie.

3. darth_baboo

darth_baboo Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2002
    Well if you guys read a report from a reporter from i belive USAToday, he says that we will see a duel against Obi Wan and Anakin in AOTC. He was reporting at ShoWest and there was footage from the fight there, wont really know till the movie, DAMN.

4. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

I think he is a little misguided.

Wasn't there an earlier report saying that Obiwan and Anakin get a bit too close in combat and one of them (Obiwan, I think) accidentally takes a swipe at the other in the confusion of battle?

So the reporter has seen or heard this and just tried to make an exclusive scoop out of it. 2+2=22.

5. JesusFreak

JesusFreak Jedi Youngling

Mar 14, 2002
    I think Palpatine will kill Padmé with lightning then tell Anakin that the jedi did it for some reason or another then Anakin will hunt them down and kill him then he and obiwan fight. I like the idea of them being even for 3/4 of the match then Anakin losing control because he didnt beat Obiwan yet. Anakin telling Obiwan to join him in a sad kinda way would be cool too. I really hope Lucas doesnt take this out.

6. Samurai-Jack

Samurai-Jack Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2001
    dehrian I agree every preconceived notion we have about the PT should be thrown out the window. Obi-Wan and Owen being brothers for instance. ;)
    That is why I believe there will be no Volcano in Episode III.

STAR WARS - EPISODE VI : "REVENGE OF THE JEDI"

Written by GEORGE LUCAS
    REVISED ROUGH DRAFT
    June 12, 1981

88. HAD ABBADON - THE TOMB'S PRISON

Luke lies unconscious on a small island in the middle of a hot lava lake. A hot wind blows across his face and wakes him. He looks around at his hostile surroundings and suddenly becomes aware of another person sitting behind him. He turns on the intruder with Jedi speed. The shrouded figure doesn't move or even look up.

LUKE
    Ben?

Slowly, the hooded figure looks up, revealing his face. It is Ben Kenobi in the flesh.

BEN
    I could no longer stay in the netherworld.

LUKE
    But Yoda said?

BEN
    ?that I would become one with the Force and choose not to return to the material world? That your anger prevented me from?

LUKE
    But I'm not angry?not anymore?I understand why you didn't tell me about my father. I do.

BEN
    I know. And I am here to help you destroy the Emperor, and?your father.

LUKE
    I can't.

Suddenly Yoda appears beside Ben.

YODA
    You can and you will?I in the netherworld, and Obi-Wan at your side. Help you we will.

112. INT. HAD ABBADON - TOMB'S DUNGEON

Luke stands with a start and begins to look around. Ben slowly stands also.

LUKE
    Did you feel that?

BEN
    Yes. It's the Emperor. He's moving this way?

LUKE
    ?and so is my father.

BEN
    He is following the Emperor. Yoda!

YODA'S VOICE
    I am between them and the Force?cloud their minds, I will.

BEN
    Luke, you must take them on one at a time. Together, they will destroy you?

The Emperor enters the cavern and looks across to the boiling lava lake. He sees Ben and is surprised.

EMPEROR
    So you are not dead after all, Obi-Wan. I thought I felt your presence in the netherworld. So, you have returned. But you have failed?the boy is mine, and will soon embrace the Dark Side.

YODA
    It is you who have failed, my old friend.

The Emperor turns around to see the shimmering image of Yoda standing before him.

EMPEROR
    You!

YODA
    Evil one, this will be the last day of your existence.

EMPEROR
    Your presence in the netherworld can do me no harm. And neither can this boy or this old man.

YODA
    Your fear is strong?overestimate your abilities, you do.

Vader steps out of the shadows and stands next to the Emperor.

VADER
    My Master, they must be destroyed. Now it is too late to turn the boy.

Luke looks at his father, then reaches out and Vader's lasersword leaps off the Dark Lord's belt and into the young Jedi's hand. Luke ignites the lasersword as the Emperor pulls a sword out of his sleeve and tosses it to Vader.

EMPEROR
    Destroy them.

Vader's sword ignites and he starts to move toward his son. Luke backs away.

120. INT. HAD ABBADON - TOMB'S DUNGEON

Vader brings his lasersword down hard on his son, but Luke is able to block his father's blow. A quick sword exchange, and Luke forces Vader back. Another exchange, and the Dark Lord recovers, pushing the young Jedi onto a small rock surrounded by the bubbling pool of lava. Ben and the Emperor watch from the far side of the cavern.

EMPEROR
    He is every inch his father.

BEN
    He is stronger than you imagine, and has many allies.

EMPEROR
    Allies? If they are all as you, I have no concern. Once the boy has killed his father, I will have him destroy you?

BEN
    Perhaps, but it will not save you. I have foreseen your death at the hands of Skywalker.

EMPEROR
    But I have not, therefore it cannot be.

BEN
    Unless you can no longer see?

Luke fights back with all of his strength and drives his father back across the tiny rocks. A crashing blow by Luke causes Vader to lose his balance and fall onto one of the small rock islands, his sword hand landing in the molten lava. His sword and part of his metal are meltin

7. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

Okay, my theory d'jour ...

So far, the databank says that Vader's lungs are crushed, not burned.

And we all know Vader's habit of choking people.

So, what if Obiwan uses a Force choke on Anakin in The Duel ?

What if that's how Obiwan saves himself?

Is that a darkside power? Does Obiwan use a darkside power to defeat Vader?

I think I've said something like this long long ago (in a thread far far away), but it would make sense ... Vader using the Force choke because the memory of it is what gets him most riled up ... or some such.

Oh well

8. Yodimus_Prime

Yodimus_Prime Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 7, 2002
    I hope Anakin duels Mace first, that would be cool, we have yet to see blue vs. purple. And a Yoda vs. Sideous without any lightsabers would be an awesome battle too.

And i'm all for lava. Lava would make a most nifty setting for such a momentious turning point in star wars history.

9. Samurai-Jack

Samurai-Jack Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2001
    I want to see how bad Sidious is with a lightsaber.

10. Yodimus_Prime

Feb 7, 2002
    i guess they'd need them at one point to liven it up a bit. Still, all force powers'd be sweetness. Maybe they'll do a saber duel where they don't touch their sabers! Weehaaaa!

11. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

Actually, I was very pleased to read somewhere yesterday a quote from either Lucas or McCallum that said we will get to see the full power of the darkside in episode 3.

That is all I'm asking for.

:)

12. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Actually, I was very pleased to read somewhere yesterday a quote from either Lucas or McCallum that said we will get to see the full power of the darkside in episode 3.

That is all I'm asking for.

Cool! Do you remember where you read that?

13. General_Severus_Khan

General_Severus_Khan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2001
    from what i have read on the official site, obi wan bests ani in the duel but ani falls because he loses his footing at the volcano (so im not sure if obi wan actually hits ani into it)

14. THE_DOODE

THE_DOODE Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    i think i wanna see Mace vs Ani and bad as the Obi vs Ani duel......

15. Yodimus_Prime

Feb 7, 2002
    yeah! All the possibilities:

Ani vs. Mace

Ani vs. Obi1

Yoda vs. Palpatine

Palpatine vs. Ani

16. neoxeon2

neoxeon2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2000
    i think mace vs ani would be almost as cool as Obi vs. Ani, cause these two have a history together, so this fight will be much deeper.

17. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

They have a history together?

You refer to...

Mace: No.
    [Anakin pulls a face at Mace]

... that?

Fnah.

Anakin v Obiwan #1

Anakin v Yoda #2

Anakin v Mace #3

18. Yodimus_Prime

Feb 7, 2002
    I don't care how many midichlorians he has, Anakin would get his Vader butt whooped if he fought Yoda

19. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    what would be cool is if obi somehow caught ani, by force or hand or whatever, and ani actually wants obi to let him go.........

perhaps in the end forces him to let go

20. FatboyTim

FatboyTim Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    I hope during the fight, that there are some dialogue parrallels to ROTJ (Luke & Vader meeting at Endor:)

VADER : So, you have accepted the truth.

LUKE : I've accepted the truth that you were once Anakin Skywalker, my father.

VADER : That name no longer has any meaning for me.

LUKE : It is the name of your true self. You've only forgotten. I know there is good in you. The Emperor hasn't driven it from you fully. That is why you couldn't destroy me. That's why you won't bring me to your Emperor now.

VADER : I see you have constructed a new lightsaber. Your skills are complete. Indeed, you are powerful, as the Emperor has foreseen...

LUKE : Come with me.

VADER : Obi-Wan once thought as you do.

Obi-Wan should certainly speak some similar phrases "You've only forgotten." "I know there is good in you." "Come with me." etc.

What do you think?

21. Mister_Oragahn

Mister_Oragahn Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 7, 2001
    yeah! All the possibilities:

Ani vs. Mace

Ani vs. Obi1

Yoda vs. Palpatine

Palpatine vs. Ani

There may be little place left for Dooku.

Like Dooku Vs. Palpatine for example and next Ani Vs. somebody else.

22. Mas_Amedda

Mas_Amedda Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2002
    MY idea copied and pasted from the Episode III battle thread.

I think the movie will open with a battle where the jedi merge victorious, in the middle perhaps Padme is killed while trying to fight (having already given birth to the twins, however they have not been seen yet) Obi-Wan informs Anakin of this after Anakin asks while under attack. They flee because they are outnumbered. And then they share a brief conversation where Obi-Wan says something like "War is not beautiful, she knew this could've happened when she decided to fight. Clear your mind of her Anakin or it could be the death of you." Anakin hears this and ignites his lightsaber and swings it at Obi-Wan. A caught off guard Obi-Wan brings his lightsaber up just in the nick of time. They fight for a while until they back up over a lava pit where Anakin loses his footing and falls. He grasps on to a rock and hangs there. Obi-Wan crouches down to help him and reaches for him, and a frightened Anakin reaches back with one hand while the other slides and he falls.

Then at the end of the film there is a final battle where Obi-Wan believes Anakin is dead (1/3 of the movie passes without Anakin) then when in a hideout evacuating Bail Organa and the others. Obi-Wan decides to stay behind to save more survivors of the oncoming onslaught at the hands of the now evil clonetroopers (now in Stormtrooper gear). Obi-Wan then holds his head and he hears Anakin's scream echoing in his head. He drops to his knees in shame and starts crying since losing a Padawan is the worst burden a master can carry. Suddenly (Darth Vader) breathing is heard **at this point the audience starts to hoot holler and clap** Obi-Wan turns to see Vader. They exchange words where Vader accuses Obi-Wan of leaving him for dead. Obi-Wan is excited that Anakin is alive and approaches him with a smile thinking he is still a good guy. Suddenly Vader ignites a red blade and keeps Obi-Wan at bay. Obi-Wan gets the hint and now knows Anakin is a Sith. The movie then progresses from there were Obi-Wan is rescued by a transport than lands behind him with Yoda and the twins on it as well as Bail Organa. Obi-Wan makes a break for the transport and is barely alive. The rest of the movie from that point on is basically Obi-Wan and the others going into hiding.

23. Yodimus_Prime

Feb 7, 2002
    really awesome idea. But there was something in the TPM novel where Anakin says he dreams about Padme leading an army against him and him killing her or something to that effect. So, assuming he wasn't delusional, and the author wasn't taking liberites, you're a little off.

Still, the Vader intro scene you discribed sounds great! Now i'm gonna be all dissapointed if its not there.

24. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    But there was something in the TPM novel where Anakin says he dreams about Padme leading an army against him and him killing her or something to that effect.

Novels are not canon [face_plain] GL probably didnt put that in the film so he doesnt have to go down a set path, he can do different endings.

25. Mister_Oragahn

Mister_Oragahn Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 7, 2001
    Yeah yeah yeah, novels aren't canons, and R2D2 can fly...

Oops !

They're just lesser canon than the movies.

Now, I think the clue about Anakin's dream is a bit too big to only be an author free conception.

If this is true, then at last it could mean that Padmé did join the rebels, or the separatists... well, she leaved the old perverted Republic because being desillusionned.

Ehr... going off topic there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.