main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* The Obi-Wan / Anakin Duel

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SLAVE2, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General_Severus_Khan

General_Severus_Khan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2001
    do you remember where in TPM novel that was about Ani's dream?

2. Yodimus_Prime

Yodimus_Prime Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 7, 2002
    Darned if i could remember. I didn't bring it with me to college. :\

3. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Heres what the movie part of the offical site says:

Skywalker was seduced by the dark side of the Force. Fueled by rage and discontent with the pace of Obi-Wan's training, Anakin challenged his master to a duel. Despite newfound power bestowed by the dark side of the Force, which added to his already formidable abilities, Anakin was grievously wounded in the fight. His burning anger kept him alive, and he was forever scarred not only by his wounds but also by betrayal

Sustaining grievous injuries at the hands of his former master, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Vader required cybernetic enhancements and replacements to sustain him

And classic Moments:

[image=http://www.starwars.com/episode-vi/classic/2001/08/img/dtl_bg.jpg]
    "When we were doing [Jedi], I remember I had done a series of sketches of Vader's home, and there was a sea of lava that his house looked out on. I remember having trouble drawing it because everything was either orange or a shadow; it was very intense. But before we got too far, George said he would save this for somewhere down the line, and I stopped working on it."

4. Samurai-Jack

Samurai-Jack Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2001
    I hope this becomes a reality.

[image=http://mellody.co.za/michaela/palpatine/gallery/emperor03.jpg]

5. SLAVE2

Apr 6, 2000
    :cough:up:cough: [face_mischief]

6. SLAVE2

Apr 6, 2000
  7. TANTIV

TANTIV Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2001
    I know this has been done to death but has anyone else watched the E! video on TF.N

Towards the End just after the Darth Vader Pic Ewan stated

"In episode III which we shoot I get to fight him in the next i imagine thats where were heading some big Obi wan Kenobi Darth Vader fight this time it`s personal"

IS this confirmation of the Duel everyone wants to see your thoughts please

8. Padawan_Emperor

Padawan_Emperor Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2002
    Long time lurker first time poster.
    Just some thoughts on this issue...

1. Padme will not die in ep. III- If epIII ends with Luke and Leia's birth she must survive because in ROTJ Leia says that she does remember her mother but barely. From what she says it sounds like she was probably a year or two old when Padme dies. She does remember that her mother was very beautiful.

2. In the ANH duel between OB1 and Vader. Vader says "Now, I am the Master"- Implying that during their first fight OB1 did defeat Anakin. This also implies that Vader became much more adept at some point after his duel with OB1.

So here's my 2 cents about what will probably happen.

The war continues, jedi discredited, the purging begins, and what's left of the Jedi council begin to figure out that Palpatine=Sideous although the rest of the "Republic is ignorant or does not care" Now the Jedi look like the bad guys because they are trying to kill nice Chancellor Palpatine who's foresight to allow the creation of an army saved the "Republic. Sadly he is forced to brand them as outlaws.

Anakin, already about to be kicked out of the Jedi for marrying Padme, sees the Jedi including OB1 turn on his good friend and mentor Palpatine.

See, essentially there never is an Old Republic v/s the Empire conflict. The Empire IS the Old Republic, Vader did not change sides HE remained faithful to the "Republic" and the Chancellor. It's the Good guys that betrayed the "Republic/Empire." Remember the "Imperial" Senate is not dissolved until ANH.

So, as Anakin's best fiend and mentor OB1, who's job it is to enforce all these things becomes the focal point of Anakin's hate. To Anakin OB1 is the symbol of betrayal and opposition to his marriage. Padme is pregnant and OB1 and Anakin both know it. Now the stakes are even higher, OB1 and the Jedi have not only betrayed the "Republic" and the Chancellor but they are standing between his wife and child.

Thus the duel, Anakin now absolutely HATES OB1. It is true that he has more POTENTIAL power than OB1 but he is not a master and he is dominated by his emotion. He screws up, probably doing something rash and stupid and the fight ends before it is finished, OB1 leaves him for some reason.

1. Thinks he is dead
    2. Thinks he is unreachable and dying
    3. He has realized that he could not kill Anakin or bring him back and that Padme's unborn child must be protected at all costs.
    4. He is inturrupted, possibly by Palpatine coming to claim his new Dark Lord of the Sith.

Padme and OB1 flee. OB1 finds out about this time that the Remainder of the Jedi council have been arrested? or are being hunted by Palpatine. Yoda also realizes or perhaps told OB1 about the importance of Anakin's children. Yoda was not with the rest of the council for some reason, (possibly a good fight here between him and Sideous or Dooku).

Yoda and OB1 know they have lost, the Republic is crumbling, the Jedi are hunted outlaws, The chosen one has turned to the dark side... they have one chance left Anakin's children. They Flee to Dagobah, a planet the Empire has no interest in whatsoever where Luke and Leia are born. Yoda and OB1 know that the odds of Luke and Leia surviving will be better if they are split up and separated from the Last Jedi Master. Somehow Bail Organa plays a larger role in epIII and Padme goes to him on Alderaan taking Leia with her. Perhaps Naboo is destroyed by this time, it would be too dangerous a place to hide anyway. OB1 takes Luke to Tatooine to train him but Owen Lars intervenes and will not allow it. OB1 not wanting to draw attention retreats into the desert to watch Luke grow up from a distance and bid his time until Luke comes to him. Yoda stays on Dagobah, that way if something happens to Ben and he can't finish Luke's training there will still be someone left that can. Meanwhile Anakin becomes Vader and at the end of the movie begins hunting down what is left of the Jedi, perhaps the last of the Jedi council dies here sacrificing their lives to buy Yoda and OB1

9. SLAVE2

Apr 6, 2000
  10. AlCool

AlCool Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2000
    I know they've obviously met before, as Master and apprentice, and very probably duelled before but...

Obi-Wan shows no surprise or emotion at confronting his former pupil in the suit. If Obi-Wan was responsible for keeping Anakin alive, then he'd be well aware of it and no problem there.

However, if Sidious saved Anakin then Obi-Wan may never have faced Vader in the suit directly and so never confronted the results of his actions.

I think this raises an interesting point: who is it decided to keep Anakin alive? We all assume that Sidious saved Anakin from his injuries, but Did Obi-Wan save him, the result being he created the more powerful, resentful and destructive Vader directly, rather than simply having Vader arise as the consequence of injuring him.

I guess what I'm saying is: is Vader's grudge really that he's been kept alive without the possibility of experiencing the love of his family? And did Sidious have a hand in Vader's physical creation, other than offering to share power?

11. darthmantis41

darthmantis41 Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2002
    Im posting this to dehirhn your points about let downs are not so true, you see anakin is going to be a pilot in the clone wars and thats where you will see him as a great star pilot. Alot of those things you were putting up there i believe will happen in ep III

12. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2000
    In the final duel, taking place on Coruscant, probably near the place Dooku and Sidious meet at the end of AOTC, Anakin fights several Jedi including Obi-One, Mace Windu and Yoda. Anakin will get seriously wounded several times during the fight (he may loose both arms or at least the one not mechanical) but he never stops fighting. He will kill all opponents (including Mace, probably with some help from Boba) leaving only Yoda and Obi-One. The final blow from Obi-One will slice Anakin in half sending him down a deep well or of a high building. Palpatine will find him and help him construct the suit or he'll do it himself using the force, we might not see the actual construction on screen.
    Another possibility is that Yoda fights Palpatine and not Anakin. Loosing and getting seriusly injured (both physically and mentally) by Palpatine.

...FIXXXER

13. Ken_Benobi

Ken_Benobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2000
    How will Dooku die? Following the Sith rules, Sidious won't take more than one apprentice, so Dooku must die before Anakin joins Sidious.

I think Obi-Wan will think he can save Anakin from the dark side, but Anakin does *something* which makes Obi-Wan realise he's lost him. Perhaps Anakin will be the one who kills Mace Windu? Samuel L Jackson has been promised a high-profile death in Ep3 according to interviews with him....

14. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'd like a fight rather like Anakin vs. Dooku. Anakin does well due to his getting angry, then Obi-Wan throws his mullet at him and beats the crap outa Anakin.

And Obi-Wan has to cry after defeating Anakin.

15. JediArgonaNeptunoSiS

JediArgonaNeptunoSiS Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2002
    Hey!!!
    For the first i think it's shold be a LOOONG scene at least 20 min..
    Here is my versjon: After many JediMasters have been killed, Anakin goes to his ship to fly to Palpy, Anyway there is two jedi's who still are alive: Obi wan and Yoda..
    When anakin goes to the ship obi-wan comes right behind him and says something like: 'Anakin, it's not to late, come over to the ligth side again'
    Akakin refuses to go over but insted he begs Obi to join him to the dark side, we can se that Anakin is afraid to duel his master.
    Obi-Wan is not afraid of Anakin, he know that he is mutch stronger in the force than his padawan.
    He also knows that he has faild as a jedi because his padawan has gone over to the dark side.

- The duel Begins: Obi has his blue lightsaber, and Anakin has a new red lightsaber, Anakin is confused what shall he do? They fight very intenst, While they are fighting Obi wan tries to talk Anakin over to the light side.
    Over them there are bridge where yoda stands and look miserably on the fight he knows that it's all lost.....
    Yoda goes to a ship there he meets Bail organa with 2 childs ( luke & leia) Organa says that he will take leia to aldaraan to hide her there... Yoda say he will take luke whit him, Yoda redy his ship....
    Obi and Anakin are getting tired it has been a close fight the whole time, ObiWan is more stronger in the force than Anakin so he is not so tired as his padawan.
    Now Obi are taking Anakin in to a ligthsaber block while he's pressing him to a river of lava Obi-Wan Says: 'Anakin for the last time join the light side!!!' Then Anakin says 'If you only knew the power of the dark side'
    Then Obi-wan says his finaly words to his padawan (he think) 'It didnt had to end this way'
    Then he pushes Anakin over the lava pit thinking that he is dead...
    ObiWan walks away almost crying over his padawan..
    He meets Yoda at Yoda's ship and tels him the story...
    Yoda says:'hide i must, you to ObiWan' 'I know master' obi says
    'This kid is our only hope, master you must train him! obi say..
    Then Yoda says 'When the time comes he will be trained, untill then you take him with you and hide'
    Then ep.||| ends with obi wan holding Luke at tatoine, thinking: 'It should not end like this'.....
    So? What do you people think??? Im not so god at writing english so i hope you understand it ;) *Thanks and 'May the force be with you'*

16. Obi-Wan Harclerode

Obi-Wan Harclerode Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2000
    There is so much to happen in EPIII.

What I believe happens is this.

Near the beginning, Anakin takes the trials. He becomes a JEdi.

He then splits up from Obi-Wan in the final battle, faces Dooku and kills him, possibly after Dooku kills Mace.

Sidious is there and eggs Anakin to the darkside... ANakin uses his hate, and gets closer to the darkside.

Obi-Wan believes Anakin is dead. Sidious kills Padme somehow after the twins are born. He frames the JEdi. THis is the final straw, Anakin turns completely, no suit yet just Darth Vader. Meanwhile Obi-Wan goes to save Alderaan. Anakin starts hunting down and killing the Jedi who's order has been outlawed for supposedly starting the CLone Wars, and destroying most of the Galaxy.

He has killed all but Obi-Wan and Yoda, with the help of bounty hunters and stormtroopers, losing pieces of his body along the way. He has the whole Vader suit, except the mask.

He and Sidious are confronted by Yoda and Obi-Wan. Now in the duel(s) to end all duel(s) Obi-Wan takes on Anakin, while Yoda takes on Sidious.

Obi-Wan tries to get Anakin, back, Anakin tries to kill Obi-Wan and lure him to the darkside possibly. Anakin is very good, but Obi-Wan is better (proving that the lightside is jsut as strong, as Yoda told us)

Obi-Wan wins possibly knocking Vader/Ani into fire, or a volcanoe, or whatever.

Meanwhile the Yoda Sidious is at a standstill, yes that is right, they are perfectly, matched, this is why Yoda can't take out Sidious, for whatever reason he and Obi-Wan flee with Padme and the babies.

Leaving Sidious to give Anakin his final mask, of Vader.

Meanwhile Obi-Wan drops Yoda off on Dagobah, Leia on Alderaan, or maybe she was already there... he then takes Luke to Tatooine, we then see Vader rise up and breathe, then the final scene, Obi-Wan drops Luke off at Owen's and walks off into desert, cue end music.

17. Darth_Corona

Darth_Corona Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 30, 2002
    Just a thought guys, Anakin is supposed to fall into lava right? Well let's examine the places we have seen lava in all of the Star Wars Movies. Hmmm, only ONE place has lava, the bottom of Coruscant. That is where the Emperor/Palpatine has his secret base. So there is a strong possibility the final scene will involve Obi-Wan trying to turn Anakin to the light side of the force as Anakin is next to the emperor. That's why when Luke tries to turn Vader to the Light Side of the Force in Eps.VI, he says "Obi-Wan once thought as you did, you do not know the power of the Dark Side, I MUST obey my master". Obi-Wan then proceeds to strike down the Emperor but to his surprise, he is stopped by Anakin, Obi-Wan's face is full of shock. Anakin and Obi-Wan then begin to duel. Obi-Wan realizes that Anakin is much more powerful in The Force but Obi-Wan fights a brave fight despite that and such tenacity gives him the victory. Anakin somehow get seperated fom his lightsaber and Obi-Wan purposely sends Anakin hurling down to the lava as he pities the fate of his once great friend. Now the Emperor braces for Obi-Wan's attack. The Emperor however does not use a lightsaber and amazingly is walking TOWARD Obi-Wan, signifying how secure he is that Obi-Wan is no challenge. Then we will see the true power of the Emperor and how Obi-Wan barely manages to escape with his life. Ok, so 70% of this is my vision of Ep.III, but the fact that obi-wan falls into the lava pit makes it probable that Obi-Wan and Anakin will fight in front of the Emperor in his secret chambers at the bottom of Coruscant.

18. DARTH_YODUS

DARTH_YODUS Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2002
    Obi Wan will not fight Anakin. Obi Wan will fight Vader. During that duel Obi Wan (but not the audience) will learn that Vader is in fact Anakin. The duel will not be resolved (untill Ep. IV)

Anakin's injuries will come from a duel with Dooku (somebody will help Anakin then - either Windu or Sidious)

19. Darth_Corona

Jun 30, 2002
    I agree. That would make for a better movie. Obi-Wan finds where The Emperor is and travels there on a personal mission to kill him. Then as he ignites his saber, the Emperor sits with an evil smile as a huge menacing figure who will be known as Darth Vader slowly walks from a different room to challenge Obi-Wan.

But Vader did say, "Last time we met I was but the learner, now I am the master". I interpreted it to mean that Obi-Wan defeated Vader in a duel. Maybe they won't duel at all. One thing is certain though. Yoda will have more action scenes. He will be CGI again and since they know how much the audience loved it, they will take advantage of it. I would like to see Lord Sidious do some damage himself.

20. 0Bl-WAN

0Bl-WAN Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2002
    I have to preface the Obi-Wan/Anakin fight with some info on Anakin/Dooku.

In ATOC, when Dooku fights Yoda, Dooku is lightning fast. Infact, he moves faster than humanly possible (speed enhanced by film.) When Dooku and Anakin meet, Anakin needs to be even faster than that. Anakin needs to be fast like Yoda was. In this fight we need to see Anakin in all his glory, to such an extent that we'll fear for Obi-Wan.

When Obi-Wan and Anakin meet, Anakin will be the aggressor almost the entire time. Obi-Wan will have to concert everything he has just to defend himself, and barely be able to. Meanwhile, in between Anakin's attack flurries, the two will talk, Obi-Wan trying to bring Anakin back, Anakin refusing. Anakin may be enraged/crying (like in the Tusken confession.) During the fight it will be clearly evident that Obi-Wan is dramatically out-matched. However, in a parallel with Obi-Wan's defeat of Darth Maul, he will see an opening in Anakin's barrage and will take advantage of it. I expect it in the form of a force push. Obi-Wan will try to push Anakin away, but instead Anakin goes flying over a ledge (into lava?) Obi-Wan will think he has somewhat accidentally killed Anakin and leave the sight.

21. Darth_Corona

Jun 30, 2002
    No, I don't think Obi-Wan force pushing Anakin into lava should be an accident. It should be that he purposely pushed him there to show how evil Anakin really turned out to be and that even though Obi-Wan cared for him, the guy was just THAT POWERFUL and that DANGEROUS to let him live, even if he was once his trusted friend.

This is how I see it coming down.
    Obi-Wan is losing the fight to the now truly powerful Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan is dodging and blocking, not attacking whie he is trying to bring Anakin back to the light side of The Force. Something happens in these talks that convinces Obi-Wan that Anakin can never again be turned to the light side by something that Anakin tells him. Perhaps he kills an important Jedi (windu?) and Obi-Wan had not heard about it, realizing this and making a lightning quick response to a beheading attempt by Anakin, Obi-Wan shows that he wasn't really losing the fight, he just didn't want to kill Anakin and then he says, "Then Anakin is dead, and you darth must die". Obi-Wan with some maneuver makes Anakin drop his saber and Obi-Wan says, "I told you Anakin, never lose your lightsaber". Obi-Wan then slices Anakin's head (we don't see it, we just hear the sound of a lightsaber savagely cutting through Anakin's head and see a cloud of dust (like with Darth Maul) coming from the top as the camera moves to below Anakin's neck) and Obi-Wan force pushes Anakin to the lava.

The Emperor seeing all of this braces for Obi-Wan's attack. Then starts walking toward Obi-Wan unarmed, signifying how confident the emperor is that he'll defeat Obi-Wan.

22. the_darke

the_darke Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    There has been a lot of talk of Anakin being enraged in the duel and being fericious and that being the reason he fails. I don't think that'll be it- George has already outlined Anakin's damning sin- Arrogance. The rage is part of that arrogance- he believes he should be powerful enough to basically be a god yet he cannot so he gets frustrated and that turns to rage.

I personally think his arrogance will be how OB1 beats him, anakin will be in a position where he is over-confident in his abilities and toys with OB1 and OB1 teaches him a lesson in humility. I do think OB1 does spare him- it's not the Jedi way to murder someone and if Anakin didn't die immediately from the wounds, OB1 wouldn't kill him- firstly because he did regard Anakin as a friend, secondly it'd be an act which would be pretty evil so OB1 injuries him and then just leaves him to his fate, far more concerned about the Emperor and the fate of the Jedi Twins.

I think it will occur late in the film- during the Jedi exodus into hiding and basically Anakin gets in his way and gets moved out of the way by the big shining laser sword and gets the sharp end of said saber.

Or when OB1 injuries him, Anakin is not injured enough to be out of action but choses retreat over death and thereby lives to fight another day (on a certain moon shaped battle station), leaving his saber behind. OB1 either believes he is dead, will die of his wound or doesn't really care at that point in time and is more concerned about Yoda, the Twins and Padme than chasing down Anakin.

Both are possibilities and I think George has already told us what will happen- he's just not told us how it all fits together to make the movie yet. He's certainly given us clues to the disappearing Jedi thing, he's said as much but he's said you won't realise it until the third. These next few years are going to be long.

23. Darth_Corona

Jun 30, 2002
    I must agree with you about Obi-Wan not purposely killing Anakin. Personally I think it would make for a much better scene than for a dopy Obi-Wan to accidentally kill his friend but George Lucas will not want the audience to look at Obi-Wan as the bad guy in all of this. Still, I am hoping Obi-Wan does it on purpose because in the original movies Obi-Wan was pretty desperate to kill Anakin/Vader. So the possibility for seeing what I want to see is there.

24. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    First of all, I never really bought into the whole "fighting in a lavapit thing". Well, atleast not in a volcano. A volcano with lava on its surface is way to cartoonish. But yeah, they could go to a lava planet and fight.

But second of all, had anyone ever thought that maybe the duel is between Anakin and Dooku? Dooku does have to die at some point, and if Lucas doesn't give us the best duel in history for the last Star Wars, he's going to hanged in Times Square. Though it could be Yoda that kills him, it does make sense that Anakin and Dooku would fight for the Emperor. This is how I see it: The Emperor needs to do one more thing to turn Anakin, and that is killing Padme (I originally thought that his mother's death would bring him in, but I guess I was wrong). Also note that it doesn't have to be Padme who hides the children. Perhaps after her death Obiwan and Yoda find them and split them up. Of course, there is a hole because Leia knows her mother, but maybe they're born before Episode III, which is how the Council finds out the two were married.

Anyway, Palpatine, never seen using a lightsaber, sends Dooku to do it. Anakin finds out Dooku did it and the two fight before Palpatine. This would foreshadow the fight between Vader and Luke, because the Emperor says "Join me at your father's place." He would, therefore, say the same thing to Anakin, but maybe take out the father (maybe Dooku's the dad, who knows?). Therefore the Emperor simply keeps on trading in his current apprentice for somebody younger to do all of his dirty work. Even though the Obiwan/Anakin duel would be really cool, I think Lucas checks on these things and changes it on purpose. ;)

One thing we might see, though, is a fight between Palpatine and Yoda. I mean, this is the last Star Wars, and Palpatine has been the bad guy throughout. I think Lucas will give us a great ending by finally showing us Palpatine's skills, if any. It would be sweet to see him do something himself. Besides, the look of Yoda at the end of Episode II kind of looked like "If Dooku is telling the truth, I'm gonna wipe the floor with the Dark Lord." I mean, wouldn't you be embarrased if you've been played by a senator? And Yoda also knows that something is up with Palpatine at the beginning of Episode II.

Oh well, just my thoughts. Sorry it was so long. Even though I do think an Anakin/Obiwan fight would be cool, I'm sticking with this for know. And if not this, I like gedi's idea a lot too.
    Cometgreen

25. Darth_Corona

Jun 30, 2002
    Are you reffering to the look Yoda gave Palpatine when Palpatine insisted that Amidala have Jedi protection as the point where Yoda suspected something was up with Palpatine? Yoda looked very surprised to hear Palpatine say that, as if it were so important to him, as if he was insisting that Amidala have Jedi protection for other reasons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.