main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* What If... DISCUSSION Thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by RebelScum77, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Up for current discussion.

2. PADME-II

PADME-II Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 3, 2004
    What if Anakin actually had the strength of character to take Yoda's advice in ROTS? He wouldn't have turned to the dark side and he, Padme (she wouldn't have had to die of a broken heart) and the kids would have been an intact family.

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Then Maul would have killed them both. I know this goes against the grain of conventional thinking, but hear me out before you light your FLAMETHROWERS.

"The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many things some consider to be un-natural..."

I don't want to enter that debate about what side is stronger, to me they are equal. What I believe is that the dark side makes the USER STRONGER. In that, it affords the adept the added advantage of calling on that power, rather allowing power to flow. This means the Dark-sider is less apt to tire before his opponent will.

Further evidence of this is when Yoda runs from Sidious. Sidious could have chucked those Senate Pods at Yoda, all... day... long.

IMO, Yoda had reached his limit and could NO LONGER repel them, so he had to duck out of the fight.

When Vader and Kenobi were on the floating platforms Obi-Wan looks VISABLY FATIGUED. He is breathing hard and his posture indicated he was nearing his limit.

Vader only seemed to be sweating from the heat, with no labored breathing, and he was standing upright.

"You don't know the powerrr... of the Dark Side of the Force!"

So in the end, I think Maul would have worn them out and killed them both.

Let the flames begin...:D

4. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    I hear what you're saying, but I don't believe it[face_batting]
    I think that OBW and Qui-Gon clearly pushed Maul back the whole time. Dooku seemed to be quite worn out after his fight with Anakin in AOTC. They can become tired it seems. Maul needed to separate them, it was his only chance.

5. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I hear you, but counter with this:

Anakin hated the man from Sereno(sp). It wasn't until Anakin tapped into his hatred, that he overpowered him. The Count wasn't trying to kill him, he was under the assumption his Master would intervene, should their plan go astray.

Dooku at full throttle would have made for a much tougher fight for Mr. Skywalker. Not that I think the outcome would have been any different, it just would have taken longer for The Chosen One to kill Lord Tyranus.

After all, hate IS a powerful tool...

6. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    It certainly is. But love may be argued to be an even stronger tool!! Also, people hanging on a cliff clinging to their lives eventually have to let go... in the end willpower just will not cut it... I know the force gives extra power, but I doubt if even the force will let you fight forever. There must be some capacities. The strongest of Jedi and Sith might have the highest capacities. To me, it seemed that Maul deliberately separated them to save his capacity... turned out too bad for him though:D

7. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    That, or Kenobi just got lucky with where he landed.;)

8. El Kabong

El Kabong Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 28, 1999
    From the closed thread:

So a question for you all -

A topic of conversation came up the other day, and I wanted to get other opinions on it. The scenario is this: the height of the clone war. A Padawan, disillusioned with the path the Jedi are on, leaves the order and defects to the Separatists. He commits some treasonous acts - stealing some battle plans, we'll say.

After a little bit, our hypothetical Padawan gets captured and returned to the order. What does the council do with him?

He's not evil - he hasn't fallen to the dark side, but he's very much an enemy of the state. If he is turned over to the Republic, they'll convict him of treason and execute him. The order can't not turn him over - even the Jedi are not above the law (and would set a bad precedent in a time where they need all the good PR they can get). And they can't simply turn him loose.

So - how do you guys think our venerable masters would handle this political and moral hot potato?

9. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Betrayal must be dealt with.

10. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    And so was Maul with where he landed after Qui-Gon's kick?;)

11. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Nah, he "planned" that.[face_dancing]

12. EricIsBacchus

EricIsBacchus Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 16, 2003
    I've been wondering about this for awhile.
    What would have happened if Anakin wouldn't have killed Dooku?
    I mean, he would have been justified from a legality standpoint (at least I would think) for disobeying what amounted to an illegal order to kill an unarmed (no pun intended), defenseless person.
    What would Dooku have done? I'm sure he's wise enough to see what was going on. Maybe he would have attempted to help the Jedi by alerting them to Sidious' plans?
    I think that to Sidious, with the knowledge that Dooku possessed of his plans, would make him way too dangerous to keep alive. I think Sidious would have found some way to dispatch of Dooku as quickly as possible.

What do you all think?

13. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Okay, I should have found this thread first.:p

What if Padme didn't die after ROTS? How could that have been worked out?
    (And *please* don't say, "It couldn't have worked". I've seen that answer enough. I'd like to see a constructive answer that works with the idea).

14. MASTER_JEDI

MASTER_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2001
    She would have taken Luke and Leia back to Naboo after they were born and hand Luke to Obi-Wan so he could train him when the time was right but raise Leia herself.

What if Count Dooku had an inkling that Palpatine/Sidious would betray him before his encounter with Obi-Wan and Anakin?

15. Darth_Sagacious

Darth_Sagacious Jedi Master

Dec 3, 2002
    What if Obi Wan had decided to put Anakin out of his misery and Qui Gon had stopped him from beyond?

16. MASTERADAGIVER

MASTERADAGIVER Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2007
    It would've been TOO quick and would have made the movie a disaster. Think about it. Anakin goes from a 9 year old kid at the end of TPM to a 19 year old Padawan and journey all the way through to Jedi Knight, through all the clone wars, and turn to the dark side, in ONE MOVIE!!!! Come on now! Though I would've liked to see more of the clone wars in the movies, I look back now and think George did well with the storyline he covered. And that's all I got to say about that.

17. MASTERADAGIVER

MASTERADAGIVER Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2007
    Ok, that's a rational argument, but let me offer this to those examples. It might very well make the user stronger, but take this into account. Yoda ducked out of the way of the FIRST pods Palpatine threw at him, then finally DECIDED to send one back, and it "caught" palpatine "off guard" and he had to jump. then when they were in a force lightning lock, it was a stalemate, and only by luck did palpatine happen to grab onto a bar of a pod, when yoda unfortunately had to try to scrape against the chancelor's tower to hang on, and couldn't hold and fell to the floor of the senate, losing advantage in position, and could only flee the scene, realizing the only mistake he made was "underestimating" the emperor, NOT being too weak or "spent."

And with Obi Wan, consider a few things. Number one, and this is a little weaker, he is older, quite a bit older than Anakin in physical age, plain and simple. That's probably a weaker argument because of the force but think, Anakin was young, powerful, the Chosen One regardless of light side or dark side. And number two, Obi Wan was not so physically spent as emotionally. Think about it, he was fighting his former padawan, his best friend, his "brother." he admitted to loving the guy for cryin out loud. Anakin was fueled not by the Dark Side but by the adrenaline that comes from anger. Obi Wan was spent emotionally, and it took a toll on him. you could see it wasn't just physical. Because remember, the entire fight was basically matched perfectly, EVEN with Anakin fighting MUCH more agressively with the "Dark Side." And Obi Wan STILL won. Don't forget that. And he also beat Maul, with a little motivation of anger, but beat him with his intellect.

Now whether it would've been different had Obi Wan made it and joined Qui Gon in the fight, I don't know. I think Maul's strategy was to separate the two, knowing Obi Wan was the better fighter with the lightsaber. And I could get pies in the face for that comment, but I think the results in the movie speak for me on that. So think about that.

18. KennethMorgan

KennethMorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    As I see it, if she'd have lived, I still think the twins would've been separated for their own safety. Luke would've gone to Owen and Beru, and Leia would still have gone to the Organas.

A while back (before ROTS, I swear it), I posted an idea about Padme ending up on Alderaan, hidden away, secretly caring for Leia, and slowly dying. It would be made clear that she's just drifting away, consumed by dispair. Our last view of her would be rocking her daughter, wearing a blank, empty expression. I figured that, if you want to go tragic, then really go for it.)

I think that'd be the way things would've turned out had she survived childbirth. She and Anakin were linked together. As his evil grew, she'd have grown weaker. The result would've been just like in the movie, but in a more gradual way. That's not to say I disagree with the movie's plot, though.

19. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Unlocked and up'd for further use.

20. ACE_Albert

ACE_Albert Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2007
    Thank you Strilo. :)

Now for the "What If..." situation...

---

At the end of AOTC, Anakin and Padme have just gotten married at Varykino, and sometime in the next day or so, while romping around the Retreat, they come across a holofilm titled: "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith" - and, feeling intrigued, they decide to watch it together...

What ensues? Here are some sample options:

Padme decides to leave Anakin since he could become a danger to her
    They are both immensely disturbed and turn to each other for comfort
    They decide to show the holofilm to Chancellor Palpatine
    They enlist the aid of the Jedi
    Anakin decides to leave Padme out of fear that he could end up causing her death

21. DarkStarkiller

DarkStarkiller Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2007
    What if Sidious ambushed Qui-Gon on Tatooine instead of Darth Maul?

22. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    The Jedi would be dead, the Queen would have signed the treaty, and the Trade Federation may have never been impeded by the Jedi's interference.

23. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    I'm not so sure. Qui-Gon was wise. He wouldn't go for a full-out attack. He would quickly discover that he was now fighting the master. Most likely, they would protect the queen as well as they could - give their lives if must be. But they would by now have discovered that the Sith were back, and that information was too important to die for...

24. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    He was wise, but I don't know that Qui-Gon Jinn could handle Palpatine long enough to make it to the ship. I really like Qui-Gon, but I think he'd be killed about as quickly as the members of Mace's posse.

25. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    What if Anakin didn't win the podrace?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.