main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* What Will Episode III Be Rated

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Helmet, Feb 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerja_wokin

jerja_wokin Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2004
    maybe gl will convince them to make up a new rating PG-SW

which means, i can do whatever the crunk i want because my waddle said so...

2. SithedMyPants

SithedMyPants Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2004
    It's not content, it's context that will make Ep III the first Star Wars to be PG-13.

3. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    PG as usual

{}:::::::eek:::::::]]]-------------------------------MP!-----------

4. SithedMyPants

Jan 24, 2004
    [Lando]I'm telling you, this film is looking more PG-13 all the time...[/Lando]

5. Rassick

Rassick Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2004
    I don't know how many times I'm gonna have to say it...

You'd be surprised how much they can fit into a PG rating. All the Star Wars films have had numerous dismemberments, gun battles, and countless violent deaths. Heck, the very concept of Star Wars is based on two large civilizations blasting the hell out of each other!!!
    And heck, the first two Indiana Jones films had some pretty extreme stuff in them.

And if worse comes to worst, EP3 could always "appeal" for a PG rating. Remember the abysmal 2002 film, Solaris? The one with George Clooney? It was originally going to be rated R (for so many shots of Clooney's butt, I guess) but the producers "appealed" for a PG-13 rating and got it.
    Since this is Star Wars and the execs know how big it is, I'm sure they'd extend EP3 a similar courtesy. It could start out PG-13 but "appeal" for a PG rating without having to make too many cuts.

6. SithedMyPants

Jan 24, 2004
    And heck, the first two Indiana Jones films had some pretty extreme stuff in them.

Yes, and Temple of Doom was the first ever PG-13 film.

Again, it's not the content of violence, it is the context.

7. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    There's no way one of the films will be different than the others in terms of rating. I think all of this talk by the OS on they don't know how it could possibly maintain a PG rating is hype to pull in the interest. It's all good.

8. Helmet

Helmet Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 1, 2001
    No question, DS. I believe it's all OS hype.

:)

9. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002

Ready? Here comes the rating

PG

(the crowd goes wild)

10. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    If the violence is as it has been said to be, then I expect a PG-13 rating.

I certainly hope that GL doesn't trim it down just for the sake of a PG rating.

11. ra4oasis

ra4oasis Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2002
    i want it to be PG-13. i just have a feeling that it will be a PG-13 movie, and then they'll take out certain sections, which will royally suck, so that it can get the lower rating. man i hope GL makes the movie he wants to make, and doesn't worry about the rating. and where are you guys seeing these burnt anakin pictures?! i gotta see this.

12. JK33

JK33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Ep. III is PG...but not OT PG. PG films today get away with things that films in the past would have never been allowed to shoot. 'Jaws' received a PG rating in '74 despite its blood, frightening images, and adult language. Had a PG-13 rating been around at that point, it would have received it...as for Ep. III, I don't expect 'Jaws'-like blood or "foul language." I don't think that Lucas will have to do much editing, either...the MPAA won't give it a PG-13 rating unless it goes too far, and I don't think it'll go quite far enough.

Peronally, I'd like to see Ep. III get a PG-13 rating; showing the duel without having to conform to MPAA standards would be nice, but Lucas won't do it. It's just my gut instinct. I'd be happy to be proven wrong. (Even 'The Last Crusade' was PG-13 after two previous PG films...there's always a chance.)

13. Darth_Punk

Darth_Punk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    "(Even 'The Last Crusade' was PG-13 after two previous PG films...there's always a chance.) "

If you read what someone posted approx 5 posts above you, then you would know that The Temple Of Doom was the first PG13.

14. JK33

JK33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    'The Temple of Doom' was the film that inspired the PG-13 rating because of its content. It was rated PG because there was no place to put it. Controversy began after its release as a PG rated flick. 'Crusade' was the first Indy film rated PG-13.

15. JK33

JK33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    If you own the boxed set, take a look...(I had to double check just to make sure I wasn't screwing something up.)

16. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    Temple of Doom was the reason PG-13 was created, but it was not actually rated PG-13. It was rated PG.

17. JK33

JK33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Thank you, Dehrian.

18. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    The MPAA will want to make it PG-13. Lucas will show up at their offices with a dump truck full of money and low and behold: PG it is.

19. JK33

JK33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Not a bad point, Lando; he'll fight to get it PG. Film-makers always try to get away with as much as they can...GL is no exception.

20. ZamWesell44

ZamWesell44 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2003
    there is no way that all the stuff the spoilers indicate can happen and get a PG rating, hes going to have to edit heavily and for stuff just to be implied and explained and get a PG rating, Killing little kids and the Anakin after the duel will be to intense for a PG movie, having Anakin in fire screaming in Pain and being burnt is not PG material, i think it sucks but there is no way that can happen.

21. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Sure Anakin screaming in pain and on fire may not be PG material. But Airplane was PG and it had naked boobies!

22. dehrian

Mar 18, 1999
    You'd be surprised what the movie could show.

The MPAA was quoted on the difference in the ratings for the LOTR and SW prequels, particularly as to why FOTR was rated PG-13 while AOTC was PG. I'm not quoting exactly here, but the official statement was that, while both were fantasy, LOTR took place in a real world setting with real weapons, and it was possible that some children could see the film and get the idea to play with swords and injure one another. However, SW was obviously fantasy, and you can't just run down to the nearest store and buy a working lightsaber, nor levitate objects with the Force, so it was rated more lightly.

The MPAA does not rate on amount of blood shown or whether they think children will get nightmares. Spielberg talked the MPAA out of rating Jaws R, for instance, by arguing that no child was going to see the film and decide to eat bathers. What the MPAA's concerned about is whether children will see a film and get copycat ideas. This allows the SW films to be a bit more graphic and still have a PG rating.

23. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    there is no way that all the stuff the spoilers indicate can happen and get a PG rating...

Spoilers are unofficial information brought to us by unofficial sources. When Lucas edits his movie down to the 2 hours like he wants it; he will make it so he gets the rating he wants.

For example, for "Raiders of the Lost Ark", for it to have a PG rating, there needed to be a column of fire in front of the guy whose head blew up at the end.

So if Lucas needs to, we will see columns of fire in front of a bbq'ed Anakin. It will be PG when it is all pieced together and complete. Right now it's still raw and we are getting it uncensored. Kinda like girls gone wild.

24. ZamWesell44

ZamWesell44 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2003
    there will just be certain scenes even in Star Wars that can not be shown in a PG movie, Anakin burning alive would just be to intense for a little kid, even though it would make the movie more dramtic,it will not be able to be shown, and i don't know why AOTC would even be consider to be PG-13, the only scene that would have borderd on that would be the Tusken scene, and in the making of Episode II book, it said that scene was not shown and only described, is because it would be to dark for a Star Wars movie, 3 will be PG, alot of editing and things just implied, or cut away from scenes real quickly like the Tusken scene.

25. dehrian

Mar 18, 1999
    Anakin burning alive would just be to intense for a little kid,

Jaws showed a kid getting eaten by a shark, Raiders showed faces melting off their skulls. Both were rated PG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.