main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* What Will Episode III Be Rated

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Helmet, Feb 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChosenJedi

ChosenJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 1, 2004
    I never really thought about the rating for episode III. Obviously, R is out because it is a 'Kids series.' I think it'll end up being PG-13. I mean, atleast this way we can still see everything described in the spoilers- but no way in hell will it be PG inless Lucas pulls another trick outta his hat..As usual, what can I say. He is the man.

2. Xenobi

Xenobi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    PG-13... i am POSITIVE!

3. SithLordYoda

SithLordYoda Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 13, 2004
    Ok I figured this whole rating thing out. I was watching a show on MTV last night Called I want a famous face and on the show they were showing people's plastic surgery, The blood and bone getting cut up and off (sorry if you are eating right now) anyway if they can show that on MTV GL can show Anakin falling into lava all you need to do is leave the movie PG and put on the poster for the movie on the bottom (Viewer Discretion Is Advised)

4. JK33

JK33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    I'll eat my words if it's PG-13, but I'm confident it'll end up PG.

Would I like to see it PG-13? Hell yes.

Do I expect it? No, never. GL is, and always has been, a filmmaker for kids, whether we want to believe it or not.

5. Saruman_the_Silver

Saruman_the_Silver Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 18, 2003
    PG-13 for action violence and brief gore.

6. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    It will never be PG-13, regardless of how graphic the movie is, for reasons I've already stated. The MPAA simply lets these films get away with more because of the setting, which they've actually publicly admitted to.

7. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    It will be PG just like all the other 5 films. If the MPAA doesn't budge, then George will edit out what is necessary to make it PG.

8. NoCloneTheories

NoCloneTheories Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2003
    the real point is that Lucas won't be filming a PG-13. A film can be dark without being graphic or disturbing visually. the tusken raider is a perfect example. We don;t need to see Anakin choping padewans heads off, we just need to see him ignite his saber and close a door in a room with them. Maybe even hear them scream. We don't need to see a burnt up anakin in harsh light, we just need to get the impression that he is thrashed to all hell (and with digital shading it will be quite easy to minimize gore).

The LOTR movies have everyone PG-13 happy, but the reality is that a PG-13 doesn't fit star wars. Without language or sex being an issue, it can only be violence and gore, an I would never want to see enough violence or gore to make it a PG-13. That shows lack of ability on Lucas's part.

9. dolphingirl2008

dolphingirl2008 Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2003
    Hey yall!!
    I just found this thread and I have to tell you that I am surprised at why you all think Episode III will be rated PG-13: for violence/blood and gore. Did any of you ever think that it will be rated PG-13 for how shall I say "intimate" scences with Anakin and Padme in them? I don't know, maybe my mind is in a sick state right now, but it is a possibility. I mean look at other movies that are out today. You can't go and see a PG-13 or sometimes even a PG movie without seeing or assuming that type of act in them. I think that the media today is just to sex crazed. "AUDIENCE STANDS UP AND CHEERS" Anyways, please don't get mad at my thinking. This was just on my mind and I was shocked that no one else has posted a message on this thread that has to do with this subject. AGREEMENT REPLIES ARE WELCOMED!!!!
    -The Dolphin Girl (aka Sarah :p)

10. Lord_Bobby_Bobby

Lord_Bobby_Bobby Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2004
    GL should've made the entire Prequel trilogy PG-13 but he missed that chance, didn't he? I'm sure he would've done so in the originals had the PG-13 rating existed back then. I imagine it'd be cool to have the old Trilogy PG and the new one PG-13. You know, to go with the times...

11. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    I still can't see a PG rating when it is expected for a husband to hurt his wife (whether it is intentional or not) the way Anakin does to Padme. It is distrubing, and while it is fantasy, it has real-life equivalents.

12. NoCloneTheories

NoCloneTheories Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2003
    I am so thankful Lucas isn't trying to get with the times. There's no way the OT would be PG-13 these days, and the PT shouldn't be either.

13. Darthoffski

Darthoffski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2003
    Even fairy stories have 'real life' equivalents and their morals are presented in a relatively safe environment to try and teach kids 'life lessons' in a way that doesn't frighten them too much.

In that context, a fantasy story in which a selfishly motivated character ends up hurting his wife because of his selfishness and ignorance of the bigger picture could be a positive thing for children to see in a film, because firstly there is enough distance from reality for the story to simply be a story, and if they ask 'why did Anakin hurt his wife' and are told, or come to the conclusion that such a thing is 'bad' they might end up learning from the moral tale, and be more aware of their own behaviour as a result, maybe even grow up better people.

Attempting to totally shield children from the dark side of life because it might scare them can have a bad outcome, because if a child is successfully shielded from the reality that bad things happen, when they discover the truth later on, it hits them all the harder.

Better that children learn that there is bad in the world but they can choose to be good, than to have them grow up thinking life is always sweetness and light, then end up incapable of dealing with loss, and disappointment, etc, in later life.

That's something stories have always done, given us the opportunity to vicariously experience things in order for us to learn who we are by how we react to the stories.

So, unless Lucas makes a conscious decision to make EP3 way more horrific than the others, it'll be a PG.

Besides, kids don't necessarily think the same way we do. Think of the unseen torture of Han, his protracted scream, the look on Leis's face as the man she loves is taken from her, that is all more powerful to an adult who is aware of the emotions she might be going through, than to a kid seeing the story for the first time.

Depending on how Ep3 is presented, it's possible that by the time Anakin hurts his wife, the mantle of hero will have passed to Obi wan, so what the kids might perceive is not the 'spousal abuse' aspect, but Padme being hurt and Obi Wan coming to her rescue. In fact, if by the time Anakin has wiped out the seps, he isn't presented as already several steps past 'crossing the line' between good and evil, I'll be very surprised.

We adults will be noticing the complextities, and the inner conflict. The kids wil be noticing the action. Just as we did when first seeing the OT. As an adult, the charred, smoking corpses of Owen and Beru make me think 'how the hell did lucas ever get away with that film getting a U certificate?' bit as a kid such thoughts didn't even enter my head. It was just what made Luke decide to go with the old man with the beard.

14. ogilbyb

ogilbyb Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    It will be PG definatly. GL is nothing if not consistant. He will find a way to have Episode 3 be the darkest Star Wars film and still be PG rated.

15. sal9161

sal9161 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2004
    I hope that it is pg-13 but, if it gets a pg i hope there is a pg-13 dvd

16. Vanda

Vanda Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    I hope that it is pg-13

I don't understand this sentiment. Why??? So there can be blood and guts? This is Star Wars, not Gladiator. Blood, gore, etc don't belong in Star Wars, which is, remember, a KIDS MOVIE.

Besides, Episode II had, among other things, two dismemberments and a beheading, and it still got PG.

It will be PG, just like ALL the other films.

17. unalteredclone

unalteredclone Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2004
    PG-13 just cause people are so uptught now.

18. Darthoffski

Darthoffski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2003
    The only way I can see SWIII being a pg-13 is if the current climate of shutting down any kind of controversy at all in an age of new puritanism forces the MPAA to try to 'protect our children' at all costs from any kind of doubt or confusion.

And considering the recent controversy over Janet Jackson's bosom apparently heralding some kind of faaling apart of the very fabric of society, as if it the worst thing that could appear on TV, as opposed to the reality and brutality all around us, maybe some mass hysteria will force a higher certificate on SWIII.

But that wouldn't necessarily mean GL had changed his style, merely that the world has become a different, and less tolerant place, with a plea for the innate goodness of man, no matter what, that lies at the heart of SW somehow getting pushed aside by a wave of moral hypocrisy..

19. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    What Will Episode III Be Rated

PG as usual.

MP

20. Jedi_Master_Ev-dog

Jedi_Master_Ev-dog Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2004
    Episode III will get a PG rating. Never mind that GL is shooting what appear to be grizzly and graphic scenes (crispy-fried Anakin, for instance)--as a director you need as much coverage as you can get so you have the most options when you get to post production. Better to have the footage and not use it than need the footage and not have it. It is likey that a lot of what has been shot won't even make it to the final cut.

As far as passing the film through the ratings board, there are a lot of "tricks" Lucas can use (and did use in AotC) to push the film through with a PG rating. Making certain characters obviously CG--turning Zam into a changeloid (which wasn't originally scripted, from what I hear), for example--is a way to cheat, as the ratings board does not look at the death of an "alien" or "cartoon" character in the same light as a "real" person. Yes, it appears as though we will see more "humans" die in Episode III, but I'm guessing Lucas will leave more to our imaginations than actually showing them on screen. Somebody else pointed out the difference between a death at the hand of someone wielding a lightsaber as opposed to a sword, and that is also a good point. And with Lucas going back and removing blood and other "graphic" elements from the earlier films, he's now obviously trying to keep the whole series consistently clean. The rumored spousal abuse is the only shady area I can think of, and it will be closely scrutinized for its mature subject matter, but there is a good argument--that the chances of a copycat incident are highly unlikely unless someone here on Earth gains force powers. No sex, nudity, or profanity in the least, is something to keep in mind, too. I think it'll all boil down to a tag that reads "mild sci-fi violence." Parental Guidance is suggestded, that's all.

We also know that Lucas has some sort of fondness for imposing certain limitaions or parameters on himself, despite being the only big-budget director working today that has absolutely NO ONE to answer to but himself. There is no one telling him the film HAS to be cut down for time constraints, and no one telling him it HAS to be rated PG. Yet, Lucas still sets certain rules for himself (no matter how irrational they may seem to us) and he has firmly stuck to them since 1977. No reason for him to change now, unless he, and he alone, wants to. But, he's said that he's making kids' movies, and kids' movies are rated PG, and that's that.

He might have just a little bit more trouble pushing this movie in the wake of the society-annihilating Janet breast incident, but he's a shrewd and smart man, and he'll get this film through on his terms, I have no doubt.

21. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    *applause*

Hear, hear!

22. AlphaARC

AlphaARC Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2004
    Relax darthoffski.

23. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Star Wars is just treated differently. Off hand I can think of plenty of PG-13 movies that weren't as violent as AOTC and the violence wasn't "realistic". Men in Black, ID4, Godzilla, The Time Machine and Jurrassic Park come to mind.

24. EricIsBacchus

EricIsBacchus Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 16, 2003
    Couldn't Lucas release two versions of Ep.III, a PG and a PG-13 version? I doubt he would do it but I think if anyone has the power to do that, he does.

25. darthfnc

darthfnc Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2004
    You will see this as a PG-13 movie for several reasons.

first and foremost, most kids who will get it will be 13 or older. there won't be a lot of funny scenes, so the kids will go to school and bad-mouth it anyways.

second, you can still get into a PG-13 movie if you are 8. You don't need a parent (at least around here you don't), so anyone can go, as long as they have a ride.

third, i don't think you will see the marketing horse **** that you usually see with the other movies. I think in this one GL is going straight for an awesome story, and therefore, he won't cheap it up as much by selling a hundred million marketing rights for "Anakin with a Partial head and optional vader attatchment."

I personally would love to see lucas hold nothing back, and make it more gory than the passion, with a hundred times the death toll of titanic, and more limbs flying than the butchershop in Rocky. That's a hell of a movie right there, and you know it!

(By the way, Lucas has about as much of a chance of making it R as Kerry has of winning the presidency...if you don't like it, shove it.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.