main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* What Will Episode III Be Rated

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Helmet, Feb 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UberP

UberP Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2004
    I am going to sing this song one. last. time.

Ohhhh when the OT was made, there was no PG-13
    So it only could of been PG or R
    But nowindays they can make movies PG-13
    And the PT was not as violent as the OT by far

It wont be R though... I wish they would release a special 'R' rated Star Wars out on DvD though. [face_laugh]

2. The1Neo

The1Neo Jedi Master star 6

Jan 20, 2004
    It will be rated X. GL knows he's going to lose a lot of money with the X rating so he's not going to finish any of the FX shots instead to save money he will have blue screem pop up like pages to explain what would be in the shot! The movie will be out by years end!

:p

3. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    The preview has been approved for all audiences.......however, the film is not yet rated.

4. -Jack-Sparrow-

-Jack-Sparrow- Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 26, 2003
    Episode III will be rated....... NC-17 for strong language! Lucas is sick of people calling Star Wars dialogue corny! ;)

5. UberP

UberP Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2004
    "It's very dark and Shakespearean...and adult, and more violent than a Star Wars movie used to be." -SLJ

"Episode III is the last one, so no-holds barred now." - RM

"It's a much more grownup film, with more attention on the characters and less on big monsters. The movie deals with people being nasty to each other and is much darker." -Anthony Daniels

Pablo has a hard time believing some of the imagery will get a PG rating. Nothing is too over the top but in today's MPAA standards, some scenes are intense. -PH

I rest my case.

6. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    It's easier to film material that pushes the limit and then scale it back than it is to wish push the limit after the fact and not have the available footage. Just because something was filmed doesn't mean we'll ever see it. Lucas isn't going to cater to fan boys' bloodlust. He's going to make the same movie he's been making for decades. And it will earn him a PG rating.

L8r

7. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    So, you think that Episode III is just gonna be the same kind of lighthearted affair that TPM was?

Talk all you want about fanboy's bloodlust. But the truth of the matter is that what we refer to is inevitable. Its not some fantasy fanbot wetdream. Its based on the spoilers we have so far is our evidence.

We happen to be fortunate here in the USA that our rating system is so simple that you are wither PG. PG-13, or R.
    But in places like the UK< their rating systems are far more complex.

In the US all the SW films so far have been PG. But overseas, they have all varied. I know that AOTC a much stronger rating than TPM did in many areas, proving that all the star wars films vary in violence and intensity.

8. Xanthe_ShHarr

Xanthe_ShHarr Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2003
    I think we will be surprised with a pg13..

9. ImperialMarchFace

ImperialMarchFace Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    ***MIGHT CONTAIN LITTLE SPOILERS***

Something is really bugging me here. I saw Spiderman 2 last night, which was rated PG-13. The ONLY blood or wounds you saw during the entire movie were slashes and cuts on Spidey that cut through his outfit. Doctor Octopus would grab people by the face and throw them, but you never saw any blood or wounds at all. There wasn't a curse word uttered in the movie. It's just violence, hitting and throwing through walls and such.

This makes me worry about Episode III. If this movie is going to be rated PG, I have a really bad feeling that we're not going to see anything. Dooku and Mace getting killed, countless background Jedi getting slaughtered, I don't know how they're going to pull that off, make it enjoyable to the audience, and keep a PG rating.

10. Helmet

Helmet Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 1, 2001
    That's because it's real world violence at real world locations. E3 will be PG.

11. sal9161

sal9161 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2004
    But superhero powers are not real.

Ep 3 will be pg-13 if its pg it will be very very very edgy.

12. Helmet

Helmet Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 1, 2001
    George will edit out PG-13 material before he'll ever make the film PG-13.

13. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Rob Coleman also is unsure as he says this movie is "intense".

But I still think a PG rating will be in order

14. Blue_Harvest_1983

Blue_Harvest_1983 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 29, 2003
    I predict a PG-13 rating.

Episode I came close with Maul's "accident".

Episode II pushed to the very edge with sustained sci-fi violence, a beheading and Anakin losing his arm.

From spoilers we know that Episode III has at least as much sci-fi violence as II, the beheading of Dooku, Anakin's lava bath. That alone pushes it right to the edge. But force-choking Padme... it won't slip through. Its a major plot point so he can't cut it out. PG-13, it will happen. People say it will be PG because the others were. But it is differant this time. A differance that the priciples have noted.

Also, look for an indicator from which movie the trailer is released with. If the Ep. III teaser is attached to say The Incredibles or The Polar Express, I might reconsider. But if it is attached to more adult oriented fare, say The Aviator then that would suggest they are already backing off marketing this movie to kids. Look for a PG-13 rating.

15. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    It is almost ceartin Episode III will be PG-13. Look at Spider-Man 2. No gore whatsoever. Look at Episode III. Anakin cuts of Dooku's head, Grevious kills many Jedi, Mace Windu's death, Anakin loosing both legs and real arm, his difigured state after falling in lava, and Padme giving birth.

That will definitely make the MPAA give Episode III a PG-13 rating. Deal with it!

16. thesuperstarwarsfan

thesuperstarwarsfan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 21, 2004
    It will be PG-13 and that will be one of the reasons it makes more money than Episode II.

17. CloneCommander07

CloneCommander07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2004
    I personally don't know yet what it will be rated. The MPAA can do some stupid stuff. I'm leaning towards ROTS to be rated PG along with the rest of the movies. However, I wouldn't be suprised if it turns out to be PG-13. I agree, ROTS is a movie that walks the line between PG and PG-13.
    :cool:

18. Flask

Flask Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 22, 2000
    It will be rated PG.

19. CloneCommander07

CloneCommander07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2004
    Ok. Here's what I think it will be after reading almost every single comment.

PG-13 for Sci-fi Action Violence, Sensuality and Brief Gore

I think that there are so many suggestive themes and images that could be shown in Ep3. And if they are shown, the MPAA will most likely rate this movie PG-13. After all, Clone Troopers and droids are violently destroyed, Anakin gets 3/4 of his body burned by lava, several lightsaber duels are bound to end with someone getting their head cut off or stabbed in their chest. Not to mention, Padme will give birth to Luke and Leia. With all this happening, it's safe to say that this will be the darkest Star Wars movie cooked up by GL and his brilliant team.

People also have to keep in mind that Anakin and Padme had some sensual on-screen moments, Obi-wan got his arm and leg stabbed at, Anakin got his right arm cut off and the final battle on Geonosis was violent in Attack of the Clones yet that movie was still rated PG.

But, no matter what it will be rated, we'll all go see it because it's Star Wars Episode III - Revenge of the Sith. No questions asked. And that's my final answer, Meredith
    :cool:

20. star_wars_person4251

star_wars_person4251 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 17, 2004
    PG-13 in the US

21. DARTHDEX

DARTHDEX Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2003
    AVP has been given a PG-13 in the U.S., it looks to be quite violent. George will probably get his PG rating. Besides, look at the packageing for the Episode III action figures, it's clear their trying for a kid-friendly audience.

22. Blue_Harvest_1983

Blue_Harvest_1983 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 29, 2003
    Spider man is a violent PG-13 movie and that did not stop them from marketing it to all age groups and selling Spider man toys. Just because there are going to be action figures does not preclude a PG-13 rating.

23. JediJen-aaha

JediJen-aaha Jedi Master star 2

Nov 4, 2002
    All the others have been rated PG, and I believe it'll be the same for this one.

You'd think it'd get a PG-13 rating just from what we've heard, but I highly doubt the rating is going to go up. Nope. PG definitely.

Ratings these days are all messed up anyways..

24. Xyber_Hex

Xyber_Hex Jedi Master star 4

Jan 3, 2004
    It will be the exact same as all of the others.
    Why is this even still open?

25. HothIcePrincess

HothIcePrincess Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2001
    No debate. It's PG.

Let me remind you about another PG movie:
    *Alien arm chopped off with laser sword, blood clearly visible on dismembered arm stump (camera shows clearly)
    *Skeletal remains of main character's beloved guardians shown (freaked me out when I was 7!) still steaming
    *Burning of dead bodies in same scene as above
    *Cold blooded (until special edition) shooting of villian in bar (smoke rising from collapsed body)
    *Beating of main character with stick with spike on the end
    *Choking of victim, raising body above the floor, with clearly audible breaking of neck
    *Implied torture of female

and that's just the beginning... there's even more death, mayhem and destruction in EPIV... and it got a PG rating 20+ years ago. Standards are looser today (what passes for PG would have been R in some cases way back then...)

It's PG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.