main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**OFFICIAL THREAD** Yoda vs. Darth Sidious v3.0

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by rhonderoo, Nov 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    The Official Yoda vs. Darth Sidious Discussion Thread v3.0 ZERO TOLERANCE policy.

The RotS mods have issued a zero tolerance policy for this thread. This means that any time a rule is broken, especially flaming, baiting, and trolling, the offending user can be banned with no warning. Length of the ban will, as always, depend on the severity of the offense as well as past history. The vast majority of users have no problem posting in a civil manner, so if you feel you are unable to control yourself, please post elsewhere. The easiest way to look at it is discuss the FILMS not the FANS. Repeat offenders may be barred from posting in this thread entirely. These rules are being set in place in order to keep this highly popular topic open to the users who wish to discuss it in a calm and rational manner.

We will watch this thread very closely, will not not hesistate, and will show no mercy.

Try and have fun, but be very conscious of what you post. :)

2. halfwits-r-us

halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    **edited** To discuss Sidious and Yoda and be on topic. I 'll say this, it was a cool duel that ended in a draw, yet Yoda did yiedl knowing that he ran out of time for his opportunity to end the reign of Palpatine.

3. MaceWindu_PhD

MaceWindu_PhD Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 28, 2005
    I agree with your analysis.

4. halfwits-r-us

Mar 27, 2005
    Sithrules, see my edit, I meant trolling, Anyways back to the topic. I also think that the display of force power between the 2 users was at an equall level, yet emphasizing different powerss, I.e. lightning from Palp and the subsequent absorption/deflection of said lightning by Master Yoda.

5. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    **Edited**

anywya to the topic.

yoda tried he failed and bailed.he came close to win but he threw everything he had at palpatine and it wasnt enough.

so equal skills and powers but palpatine won fairly.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Let's get on topic.

7. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    We're not off to a very good start, are we? o_O

8. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    "failed and bailed" huh?

:p

9. halfwits-r-us

Mar 27, 2005
    fairly I would say Palps didn't win they fought to a draw. This is semantical arguing but, the arrival of the Stormtroopers, probably had Yoda realize that he needed to leave. But did Yoda know they were coming?

10. Greedo_forever

Greedo_forever Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2005
    I never felt that Yoda left because Stormtroopers were coming. I think that the fight was indeed a draw- but either:

1. The fight was harder than Yoda presumed because of his... *GASP*... arrogance. Ashamed of acting and thinking in such a selfish way, he retreats. It was NOT his fight after all, draw or not.

2. Maybe Yoda realised that it was a stalemate, and in the case of Yoda's loss, there would be too much at stake. Live to fight another day?

2. Sidious had the "higher ground" the end-all position a Jedi can have in a fight [face_laugh]
    (joking here)

11. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that Yoda had lost so much ground, that it would have really been pointless to try and continue the fight.

I just dont understand why they didnt go back.

Vader never did truly show that he could defeat Obi, and IMO Yoda had the emperor's number. I dont understand the "let's sit back and relax" attitudes that they take on in between movies.

12. halfwits-r-us

Mar 27, 2005

I think they never came back to fight them because of the overwhelming advantage Vader and Palps had. They had a huge army of clones and star destroyers and political power. all of this would be a lot for 200 jedi to overcome not to mention 2 jedi.

13. COMMANDER76

COMMANDER76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    Me either...

They should have rallied to overthrow Sidious right away while Frankensith was too clumsy to make a difference. I mean Kenobi was in his PRIME and Yoda wasn't far from his so they would have taken Sidious down easily IMO....once they got to him. I mean with the Jedi name already ruined...they had nothing to lose.

14. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    whats wrong about that.

yoda wanted to kill palpatine and he couldnt: he failed

after realising he could not win he escaped : he bailed

15. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    In the novel, Yoda and Obi-Wan admit that even together they would be no match for the Emperor. Onscreen evidence shows that if Obi-Wan and Yoda fought the Emperor together, Obi-Wan would be killed early on and Yoda would be stuck fighting alone. The Emperor's apprentice was able to knock Obi-Wan out during a two on one fight, so the Emperor would be able to do so much more easily. Yoda was better off going alone. If he can't beat the Emperor by himself, there's no point in bringing Obi-Wan along with him. Yoda must realize that the Emperor is more powerful than him if he doesn't want a rematch.

"The Emperor proved too powerful to defeat."- OS Databank Entry
    "the Sith bested him."- OS Databank Entry for Yoda
    "the dark side is more powerful"- Lucas in AOTC DVD Commentary
    "He's better than Yoda in a way because he has the extra power of the dark side."- Nick Gillard
    "This truth: that he, the avator of light, supreme Master of the Jedi Order, the fiercest, most implacable, most devastatingly powerful foe the darkness had ever known...just-didn't-have it. He'd never had it."- middle of page 396 of Stover's novel
    "The new Sith could not be destroyed with a lightsaber; they could not be burned away by any torch of the Force. The brighter his light, the darker their shadow. How could one win a war against the dark when war itself had become the dark's own weapon?"- towards the end of page 396 of Stover's novel
    "Sidious' abilities are beyond anything we've experienced."-Gillard
    "His style is one in which you'll never get the better of him. It is ambiguous --- he'll fight less than you and draw you in; you're a sucker if you think you're going to better him."- Nick Gillard
    "He's gotta be even more powerful than the Jedi."- Rick McCallum
    "Yoda was going to get a tough time"- Ian McDiarmid
    "Palpatine is ambidextrous with his saber. He's THAT good."-Gillard
    "Sidious is a master of every weapon and every style."- Gillard

16. Greedo_forever

Greedo_forever Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2005
    Maybe security around the Emperor was intensified in LIGHT of Yoda's escape? Hardly easy for them to take on a galactic army.

Plus, killing LOTS of people to get to the emperor (which is something they would hypothetically HAVE to do), isn't such a nice Light Side way of doing things.

Maybe Yoda realised that Sidious had to be defeated in ANOTHER way besides the sword. Watch the end of ROTJ to see what I mean. ;)

17. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I just deleted every non-topic post and edited any irrelelvant stuff from posts that were off topic. If you spam, you'll lose not only the ability to come here and post, but your post count. We're not playing here. Next time we just ban. Stay on topic and discuss this responsibily.

18. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    It's nothing wrong with it...I just thought it was funny when I read it, that's why I repeated it.

;)

19. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    Yoda must realize that the Emperor is more powerful than him if he doesn't want a rematch.

i think that the problem for a rematch is not to fight palpatine but to get to him.

In the novel, Yoda and Obi-Wan admit that even together they would be no match for the Emperor.

"No match"is too ectreme,maybe they wouldnt beat him.

Onscreen evidence shows that if Obi-Wan and Yoda fought the Emperor together, Obi-Wan would be killed early on and Yoda would be stuck fighting alone Yoda was better off going alone.

i agree here.obi wan sucks at the 2 vs 1 fights,yoda and obi wan vs sidious wouldnt be any different than mace and kit fisto vs sidious and we know kit ends up in that one.obi wan would die and yoda would be stuck alone so there is no point in taking obi wan there to die.

If he can't beat the Emperor by himself, there's no point in bringing Obi-Wan along with him.

i already said this above ;)

20. Sidious-3

Sidious-3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2005
    No offense Rhonderoo, but shouldn't it be *Official Thread* Yoda vs. Darth Sidious Thread v3.0?

Not "Official Yoda vs. Darth Sidious Discussion Thread v3.0".....

Just kidding [face_worried]...

Anyway, Farrellg you said in the v2.0 of this thread that the ROTS commentary even stated that Yoda lost the duel.... o_Onow I have watched the movie with the commentary 4 times and not once do they mention Yoda actually losing the duel from Sidious being more powerful than Yoda

21. farrellg

Mar 17, 2005
    now I have watched the movie with the commentary 4 times and not once do they mention Yoda actually losing the duel from Sidious being more powerful than Yoda....

During the scene with Bail Organa, the Commentary says they wanted to show that Yoda lost. The OS says that "the Sith lord bested him".

22. Sidious-3

Sidious-3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2005
    Which Bail scene? there are couple of them

23. Ewan

Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 4, 1999
    I like how Sidious's robe blends into the background in both rooms. In the maroon holding office and the black/blue Senate. It gives him almost a ghostly appearance, contrasting with Yoda's green, naturalistic look.

To me, this seemed like a visual metaphor for Sidious as a mystical phantom presence-- one which has enmeshed itself into the halls of bureaucracy.

24. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    it was meant to sound funny ;)

i have a doubt, watching the y/s duel like 100 times i see that yoda's saber doesnt fall too far from the base of the chancellor's pod,why didnt he just picked it up ?? Palpatine did not even have his own by then.

25. farrellg

Mar 17, 2005
    Its when Yoda is escaping with Bail that the Commentary says they wanted to show that Yoda lost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.