*OFFICIAL THREAD* Yoda vs. Sidious duel discussion v.2

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith' started by KnightWriter, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    This is the second version of this thread.

In my view, Yoda had Sidious at no worse than a standstill, and I think Sidious was overconfident in his ability to defeat Yoda.

Thoughts?
  2. Mekanus Jedi Knight

star 1
  3. Darth_Ignant Jedi Youngling

star 7
    Whatever KW says, I concur.
  4. r8hitman Force Ghost

star 4
    I think Yoda's decision to give up was odd.

IMO Yoda had a slight edge in the fight.

Like I said before, maybe he sensed the clones coming or something, because it doesnt add up.
  5. DarthBane93 Jedi Master

star 4
    I thought it was a stalemate. A big mistake. Sidious should have been more of a clear winner.

But this duel was better than Obi vs. Anakin. That was a snorefest.
  6. padawan-yoda Jedi Knight

star 1
    I didnt think yoda lost the fight, but he did fail at what he set out to do which was a little depressing considering I really like yoda
  7. r8hitman Force Ghost

star 4
    MUCH better than OBi vs. Ani.

I knew it was going to be, and I had been saying it for months.
  8. maralover Jedi Knight

star 2
    i for one thought that sidious had the advantage, but only barely, over yoda. yoda returned one pod at sids, but sids brought down half the senate on the little green dude.
  9. Z-95 Force Ghost

star 4
    Sid had the advantage as he was in an elevated position.
  10. DarthBane93 Jedi Master

star 4
    What I cannot comprehend, is with all the hype and lore surrounding THE DUEL between Anakin and Obi...George gave us an unsatisfactory duel between those two, and actually created a more interesting and entertaining duel with Yoda vs. Palps.

I am still in shock how unsatisfied I was watching Anakin vs. Obi. It started out ok, but then just got boring and stupid looking fast. They really didnt even have any great moves like in the EpI fight.

***!?!?!
  11. Wyld-Karrde Jedi Padawan

I think that Lucas should have done it more like the book, I havent read it but a friend of mine did and said that yoda could have defeated him but stopped fighting because they fight was getting so out of hand that the were literally tearing buildings down and ripping coruscant apart, Yoda realizing that he was going to kill alot of innocent people fled the fight, that would have been awesome to see and so I was a bit disapointed, also the reason I have never and never will read any of the books that are already movies, I already ruined Jurrassic Park for myself because of that
  12. r8hitman Force Ghost

star 4
    (cont. from the first thread)

tephjo, Sidious laughed because he's silly.

He barely got his butt back on to his own pod so he didnt have any room to laugh at anybody.

But just because he laughed that doesnt mean anything, he laughs at everything like an old drunk. 8-}

Remember he walked up to Yoda laughing in the office and Yoda tossed his ass back over that desk and made him flop around like the scarecrow from the wizard of oz.

Then the audience in the theater I was at was laughing at his old wrinkled butt. :p
  13. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Was I the only person who thought of Jack Nicholson from Batman, when Sidious was climbing back onto the pod?
  14. Korynth Jedi Knight

star 1
    This duel really re-assured me that Yoda really is a master and in control of himself and the force. His giving up was alil upsetting but he understood the situation, IMO he out swordplayed Sids, so sids resorted to force powers, Yoda outdid him there aswell and unfortunately fell too far. his giving up was understandable and unforunate. But i am very confident in that Yoda really is the most powerful force user at the time... kudo's to Yoda...
  15. TonyDI Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yoda FAILED. He is not perfect. If he WAS, he would easily defeat Sidious.

We all fail in life.

Yoda bounced back, and trains Luke to do what he did in ROTJ. Yoda died in peace.

The next three movies, if they are ever made, will deal with Han and Leia's twins. They will be Jedi knights, trained by Luke, Leia, IMHO will never be a Jedi. But I could be wrong.

From there, 3 movies will be made, about the fact that the emperor is still alive. The empire is still alive. :)

The emperor had a clone made for himself.

He looks DIRECTLY at him in ROTJ. Go look for yourself.

The NEW JEDI ORDER , which will be small, will have the duty of finishing off this clone of the emperor (or maybe the emperor HIMSELF, depending on which point of view u want to take.)

Through the three movies, 7, 8, and 9, the Jedi will GROW in numbers, eventually and FINALLY restoring peace and justice to the Galaxy. They will grow in numbers, just as in episodes 1 2 and 3 , they reduced in numbers.

And at the end of episode 9, it will be just as it was in Episode 1, the NEW REPUBLIC will be installed, the new senate, and the new jedi council.

:)

Right?
  16. r8hitman Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah I was really laughing when Yoda wouldnt let him escape.

He knew he was in trouble.

(even if the Sid fans dont want to admit it ;))
  17. Wyld-Karrde Jedi Padawan

Was I the only person who thought of Jack Nicholson from Batman, when Sidious was climbing back onto the pod?

Yes....... but thanks now that you mentioned that im gonna be thinkin that for the rest of my life when i watch ROTS........ LOL
  18. just_pat_quinn Jedi Padawan

"The emperor had a clone made for himself.

He looks DIRECTLY at him in ROTJ. Go look for yourself. "

when does that take place in ROTJ?
  19. SithIsTheRightSide Jedi Knight

star 1
    MUCH better than OBi vs. Ani.
    Me 2. I know that Yoda will face Palpatine b4 I see the movies, and I am looking forward to it rather than Mustafar one. Obi-1 vs. Ani is great, but nothing can compare with Yoda vs Palpy. And I think the "Anakin vs. Obi-wan" song in the soundtrack should be renamed to "Yoda vs. Palpatine"!

I haven't read it but a friend of mine did and said that yoda could have defeated him but stopped fighting.
    Yeah I think this is better. Yoda stop the will of fighting, cos it will only more enrage the dark side inside Palpy. The whole Coruscant is already under the infulence of the dark side.

I think Yoda fail cos he is weaken a bit by the death of every comrades he is with in the Jedi Temple, which cause a great disturbance in the force to him. Besides, don't forget that the whole Coruscant is now under Imperial control, Yoda's pursuit of Palpy, even not successful, is a courageous move. Palpy can call out thousands of stormtroopers to strike him down if he cannot do it himself.

Edit:
    I thought of the Clown in the Batman for his madness & laugh.
  20. JScoob Jedi Padawan

I agree the battle between yoda and palps was even - but it was clear that Yoda was the stronger of the two. Palps realized that as he initially tried to escape which Yoda blocked.

There were 3 notable forms of force usage in the battle. Lightsaber, lightning and force push.

In the lightsaber realm, I believe they were even or at least appeared so.

With force push, palps initially started to fling senate pods and Yoda initially dodged them. The last pod, Yoda force stops even as palps is trying to push it. It starts to spin and Yoda closes his eyes in concentration and wins the force push battle, flinging the pod back at palps, against gravity at full speed. Now it is palps that has to jump away to safety.

Finally, in the lightning area, palpy's bread and butter, it looked to me that Yoda was actually slightly stronger. Yoda blocked the lightning and then slowly proceeded to push it forward towards palp, causing the both of them to fly backwards. Had they had more room, I think Yoda would have been able to safely push the lightning squarely back to palp without injury to himself. But they were just too close together.

After Yoda falls, Yoda takes a hard look at palps who is clinging on to the edge of a pod. He had no way of getting way back up there and he realized that while he could win, it wouldn't be easy and certainly not quickly enough before the clone troopers arrived.

I do agree that palps was reckless - but that is trademark sith and how the sith use the force. The dark side is all about unleashing all your emotions - it has its benefits of greater raw power, but drawback of making technical mistakes during those expressions of raw, giddy power.

It appeared that Sidious' strength is not in combat. To say that two completely opposite opponents are equal in every way is totally unrealistic. Everyone has their strengths and weakness. Yoda is slightly stronger in combat, but palps is clearly superior in leadership and manipulation.
  21. TH421 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Palpatine was at least good enough to prevent Yoda from killing him. It was plain, however, that it was a close match, as it should be between these two Force titans. Each is the best of his Order, and I think the duel showed that very well.

But the fact that Palpatine would rule for another twenty-some-odd years, when Yoda had gone into that duel to end his rule now, makes him the clear victor in that contest.
  22. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I heard rumours that Yoda was gonna get ****ed up in the fight...like hurt bad.
    Was dissapointed, not by what happened in the film, but by being over excited about that scene.
  23. Covenant Jedi Knight

star 1
    <i>I think that Lucas should have done it more like the book, I havent read it but a friend of mine did and said that yoda could have defeated him but stopped fighting because they fight was getting so out of hand that the were literally tearing buildings down and ripping coruscant apart, Yoda realizing that he was going to kill alot of innocent people fled the fight</i>

totally agree... lucas should have gone farther with this but maybe he did not because it would make the obiwan-anakin fight seem weak. I disagree the ana-obi fight was weak. I think it was we knew it was coming so expectations took over where as I was unsure whether yoda would confront Sidious and was happy as hell that he did.
  24. Covenant Jedi Knight

star 1
    no way... thought the exact samething and loved it. Showing Sidious as a bit off the edge really brought his character full circle for me.
  25. CIDLORD Jedi Knight

star 3

Each time they cut to Anakin-Obi's fight, I felt angry...

Leaving aside the fact that visually this duel was by far much better than THE so-called DUEL, the real duel was this.

1) The most powerful force users were Yoda and Sidious.

2) If Yoda had killed the head of the Empire, the Empire would have been lost (on the other hand, what could have happened if Anakin was killed? Nothing really, Sidious still would be the emperor).

I didn't like Vader vs. Obi-Wan. I think it was on the edge of parody because of its length, and the quickness shown was in my taste rather cartoonish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.