main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Yoda vs. Sidious duel discussion v.2

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by KnightWriter, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MonkeytheJedi

MonkeytheJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 21, 2005
    u know really i don't see why yoda gave up if he just got his lightsaber back he could jump up and stab sidious while he was hanging there.

2. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    finally re-opened [face_dancing]

love you mods [:D]

to get back on track

there is no other way to see it,a tight fight,the best of the saga(from my POV),equal skills and powers yoda tried ,he failed and he bailed so he lost.

after watching it and re-watching it i cant make any other conclusions.

3. ticopuma

ticopuma Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 2, 2005
    Yoda didn't lose this duel. Although it may seem like he lost he didn't.

Yoda did fail in what he set out to do not the duel.

I personlay think (and this is an opinion) that if it was in a flat surface and the prophecy allowed Yoda to defeat him he would not because he was strong enough to beat him.

Yoda had sensed clones on thier way and it would be too much for him to kill Sids and clones, ESPECIALLY on the surface they were fighting on.

And Yoda was winning in the saber duel the whole time. Yoda had disarmed Sids in a scene that never made it to be put in the movie.

Once Yoda had deflected the lighting (with his hands:p) he was blasted who knows how many hundered feat down while Sids had a railing to hang on to. And the lighting caused him to lose his saber.

So unlike the complete fool of Anakin, Yoda knew that given the circumstances he had to retreat. He had lost his saber, lost the high ground, clones were on thier way, and he was probably hurt falling down so far down.

So like I have said before Yoda did not lose the duel. He failed in his mission though. And the face Sids put when he saw that his lightning couldn't stop Yoda was just priceless.

:D Tico:-B

4. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    personlay think (and this is an opinion) that if it was in a flat surface and the prophecy allowed Yoda to defeat him he would not because he was strong enough to beat him.

That does'nt make any sense.

Emporer Gerner Dark Lord of the Sith

5. ticopuma

ticopuma Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 2, 2005
    Ok what I meant to say is:

Yoda IS strong enough to kill Sids but its not his destiny. Only the chosen one can do that.

6. Darth_Conthhheivable

Darth_Conthhheivable Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2005
    After having viewed the YvD duel umpteen times, I have to agree with your assessment, tico. I was even about to say the same thing. Yoda did not *lose* the fight. Not in the sense that Sidious *beat* him. No. Yoda had to leave because he had to sense the clones coming (as they were there about 30 seconds later) and he had to sense that the fight, now, as it is, must be postponed. I think Yoda could have beaten Sidious, but it would be far more difficult than Yoda would have thought before their direct encounter. He did not have the luxury of unlimited time to fight him, and realized the advantage in living to train another day, so when he tells Bail he failed, it was not just failing at winning the fight. He failed at his mission (which he has been leading for some years now) at destroying the Sith. That was more than just this fight. He also probably blamed himself somewhat for not being more vehement about Anakin not being trained.

Sidious was clearly frightened at Yoda's skill and power. He could not have beaten him in a direct fight by himself. But Yoda could not easily beat Sidious, either. Besides, there is also the novel's explanation, but slightly different things happened in the novelization, so who knows? My point is, I believe the fight was, at best (for Sidious), a draw.

7. DS_Emp_Viper

DS_Emp_Viper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 30, 2001
    Wow, I hate it when the dvd comes out and suddenly so many people come on to old threads. YODA LOST. GET OVER IT. He was defeated because A. He could not push the lightning back at palps. B. He could not get footing on the pod. C. HE RAN AWAY.

There were NO clones troops coming, If Lucas wanted to show the fact Yoda ran because of clones he would have SHOWN troops coming in. But he didn't. BECAUSE YODA LOST.

Yoda was done when he lost his lightsaber, he had no offensive weapon and was forced to hope he could survive.

8. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    Both the DVD Commentary and the OS say that Yoda lost the fight. We have no evidence that he disarmed the Emperor because it wasn't shown on screen. Lucas could have chosen not to end the lightsaber fight with a victory for Yoda, regardless of what the screenplay says. The script also says that Yoda is hit by lighting in midair at the end of the duel, but this didn't happen in the film. Its also possible that the Emperor was never disarmed. Somehow, he knocked Yoda down to a lower pod. He could have put his lightsaber away to throw pods and use force lightning.

9. jedi_ethan

jedi_ethan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2005
    Sidious was disarmed by Yoda. It happened. We know it beyond any doubt no matter how painful it's for you. The screenplay was written by Lucas himself, you have posted the example of Yoda being hit in mid air THOUSANDS OF TIMES, and I have explained THOUSANDS OF TIMES what Lucas Ltd says about this. Give up please. That point is lost, no matter what you do.
    Furthermore the theory about the Emperor storing the lightsaber in his pocket "just because he is so cool" is ridiculous.

10. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Clearly, this thread was reopened a bit prematurely, since you're already at each other. We are still discussing this in MS and it will probably get a new thread when reopened again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.