main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Yoda vs. Sidious duel discussion v.2

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by KnightWriter, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    I agree 100%

I've been saying from the very beginning that the fight that should have been called THE duel was yoda vs. sidious.

EDIT:
    I wouldnt have minded if the obi vs. ani duel was as short as the ANH duel.

It wasnt as important as everyone wanted to believe.

2. rlddrummer

rlddrummer Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 2005
    The Sidious vs. Yoda duel did steal some thunder from the Vader vs. Obi Wan fight. I still didn't think "THE" duel was bad, but Yoda's duel was definitely more entertaining.

3. Tyrantus

Tyrantus Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2004
    The victor of this fight, like Mace vs. Sidious, all ends in a matter of perspective and opinion. I think it could be a labeled a tie, but I also am leaning more to Yoda winning. Sidious's arrogance was his ultimate downfall, that simple. He saw Yoda as an inferior, which was his one of his biggest mistakes. Yoda clearly bested him overall, in terms of lightsaber technique and Force abilities. It seems our dear Dark Lord depends on his signature lightning more than anything else, as he clearly isn't that good with a lightsaber. In short, Sidious got OWNED by Yoda. In defense to future counters about why Yoda fled...Well, Yoda, as well as Sidious had lost their lightsabers, and both fell. Sidious was lucky enought to have ground beneath him while Yoda fell about 100 meters and still survived. It would of been pointless for Yoda to venture back up, as Clone platoons had already entered the building, which would add an advantage to Sidious's side. All else I can say is...You finally got put in your place, Sidious.

4. lordmorpheus

lordmorpheus Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    there is no other conclusion to draw from this duel than to say that it was a draw. both players tossed each other back against the wall/chair....both swungtheir lightsabers well, both tossed pods at each other and when it came to the end, battle of wills, they cancelled each other out......difference?

Yoda had a whole lot more to lose than did sidious......what if it continued with yoda losing eventually, OR them killing each other....senate is still corrupt, vader still potentially roaming the galaxy, AND he leaves the fate of the jedi order AND the galaxy in the hands of obi wan kenobi......while kenobi is a great jedi master, his 30+ years of experience are nothing but a drop in the bucket when compared to that of yoda.

5. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    This fight was a draw, no doubt about it. They both were holding on to a Senate pod hoping not to fall. Yoda, being smaller and having shorter arms is the reason he fell, IMO. He made a wise decision to leave and not go back to fight after he fell.

6. monarque1972

monarque1972 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2004
    Do you remember guys how the first spoilers were saying that Yoda was in for some big troubles against Sidious.

Well I don't know if Lucas came on this forum and realized that Yoda's fans weren't so happy about that, but I'm very very happy about how that duel turned out.

In ESB, the scene were Yoda is telling Luke that the force is everywhere, between the tree and the rock, between the ground and the ship, etc (with the force theme playing). For me that scene is a mythical one, and Yoda's connection with the force almost appears to be a religious one.

So if Yoda got owned by Sidious, it would totally destroyed my vision of the character. But now, we know that in the hands of a true master, the light side is more than just some "feeble skills" to quote Sidious.

By the way, is it true that when Yoda is about to throw the senate pod back at Sidious at full speed, Sidious is force pushing on it ??? (as somebody just posted) ????????????

Because if it is, it would clearly means that Yoda is even stonger than Sidious when it comes to force moving objects, and that he could also throw 3 or 4 senate pods at a time if he wanted to.

7. Sidious69

Sidious69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2004
    They were evenly match.

But you've got to be kidding me when you say Yoda had a slight edge.

Sidious wins laughing while all Yoda can say is failed I have.

I can't believe people keep saying OHHHH YODA FORCE PUSHED THE HELL OUT OF SIDS but failed to realized what happened before that scene where SIDIOUS UNLEASHED LIGHTNING THAT YODA TRIED TO BLOCK BUT CANT MAKING HIM A RAG DOLL.

Yoda was serious in killing his opponent while Sidious was just having fun and Yoda still could not defeat the care free Sith Master.

And don't say coz Yoda sensed the clones are coming.

If that's the case then Dooku sensed the clones are coming also in Ep. 2.

Yoda's last expression was looking up hearing Sidious laughing. That's when he knew there is no point but to re-learn the ways of the Force in his exile.

Yoda even said to Qui-Gonn that he has failed to destroy the Sith Lord and that he has much to learn about the Force.

BTW, Sidious called in the clones to look for Yoda's dead body and that is why his lacky told him that well then Yoda's still alive after not seeing his body.

8. Frozen-Gungan

Frozen-Gungan Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2003
    I thought Yoda was the clear winner in that fight although he didnt kill Palp because backup arrived.Same as the Dooku fight I always thought he won that too.Ive always been a believer that it must be much harder to use the force to take objects controlled by other force users and momentum...Take control from them and throw them right back.Must be pretty insulting too.I noticed how quickly Sids quit throwing pods after Yoda did that.Anyways I think if that fight had not been interrupted Yoda would have won by lightsaber.

9. studeman

studeman Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2005
    I think Yoda held his own. It seemed that Palps conceeded this in trying to leave AND stating how Vader would be more powerful than either of them. The context seemed to be that you might take me down, but Vader will get you. Little did he know that OB1 was already taking care of Vader (and should have finished him.)

At the end of their fight Palps had leverage on Yoda and he either would have ordered the clones to jump "his little green friend" or piled pods on top of Yoda. In any battle, leverage always wins out...Yoda would have been in a difficult positon to fight his way up the senate floor. It would not have been worth the risk especially with the clones coming.

10. DarthAJ

DarthAJ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2004
    Yoda's duel rocked! I enjoyed it a little bit better than Obi vs. Ani probably because of the lightening. And it did not seem that Yoda gave up. He fell and there was no going back.

11. Meurs

Meurs Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    Yoda owned Sidious:

1. The emperor tried to run.
    2. Yoda threw the force lightning back at him.
    3. Yoda sent a pod back up against gravity + the emperor's force push.

12. DarthDzNutx

DarthDzNutx Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    Yoda Lost, he even admits losing thats why he goes into exhile

13. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I think Yoda proved ultimately more powerful than Sidious. It was no better exhibited than at the very end of the duel: Sidious throwing everything he had at Yoda and Yoda curling it up into a little ball and throwing it right back in his face.

Unfortunately, Sidious' power still was still immense and pushed him over the edge. But, I think we'll always be left to wonder what would have happened had Yoda's fingernail had a better grip. :)

Yoda DID lose, though. No denying that.

No way was this anything like the duel as depicted in the novel, where Sidious wipes the floor with Yoda. That doesn't happen. Yoda was on the defensive a lot, but when push came to shove, Yoda could take everything Sidious threw at him.

14. wassup

wassup Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    dso yoda goes out like a great jedi master.

15. TopSpeeD

TopSpeeD Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2005
    Yoda won..in my opinon...
    yoda is superior with a lightsaber AND with force powers...frusturating as it may be he fell too much and sidious was way up leaving him no chance in winning..indeed it was a little odd .

16. wassup

wassup Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    yodas lightsaber skills have to be greater than maces right.

17. YodaJediMaster12

YodaJediMaster12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 26, 2002
    Yoda was serious in killing his opponent while Sidious was just having fun and Yoda still could not defeat the care free Sith Master.

And don't say coz Yoda sensed the clones are coming.

If that's the case then Dooku sensed the clones are coming also in Ep. 2.

Why did Sidious try and flee right at the beginning then?

And why not say Yoda fled in part because he knew clones were coming? Dooku and Yoda were both smart, and fled when the impending numerical odds were against them. The Yoda v. Dooku fight and the Yoda v. Sidious fights are markedly different. In the first case, Dooku knew he could not win, and he also knew that clones were coming, and as a result he wisely decided to retreat from a doubly unwinnable situation. In the second case, the fight was a virtual standstill, although I see Yoda as having a slight advantage (of course I'm rather biased). Yoda fled not because of Sidious and the clones (as would have been the case if this fight were analogous to the aforementioned battle) but because of the big fall he took and his sensing of the clones.

18. monarque1972

monarque1972 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2004
    Meurs tell me.... When Yoda stoped the senate pod and threw it back at Sidious, was Sidious still force pushing on it ???? Because if so, that would prove that Yoda's strenght in the force is ABSOLUTELY INSANE :)

Thanks in advance :)

19. tephjo

tephjo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2005
    Well Palps disarmed Yoda, but i never saw Yoda disarm Palps. :)

20. Darth_Abominus

Darth_Abominus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2005
    It was a pretty even fight to me, neither Yoda nor Palpatine fans should be dissapointed. Yoda lost simply because he failed in his purpose, which was to cut off the head of the Empire by killing Palpatine.

21. tephjo

Mar 30, 2005
    The shot of Yodas cloak falling on the pole with the laugter of Darth Sidious in the background was chilling.

Great moment.

22. Master_Scottie

Master_Scottie Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2005
    Yoda himself said he failed but yet people still think he won lol. Sidious got two demoralizing blows on Yoda. The first shot of lightning where Yoda got tossed to the ground like a cheap doll, and he laid face down for a few seconds. Then of course Yoda tumbles to the ground with his nail scraping to hold on. I really felt bad for the little guy and I know everybody else did too. This was the powerful confident jedi and he was running for his life.

23. Master_Scottie

Master_Scottie Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2005
    I thought the moment when Yoda and Sids were saber battling on the rising tower in the senate room was incredible. That was one of the best moments of the movie.

24. tephjo

Mar 30, 2005
    Yep. Best "long shot" Ive seen in a movie since Two Towers with the Balrog and Gandalf falling.

Epic stuff.

25. Darth_Abominus

Darth_Abominus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2005
    Of course he said he failed, he failed the kill Palpatine which was his purpose, he didn't win. But it was clear he didn't get his tail whipped either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.