main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Title Announced!

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by IwasIamyoda10, Aug 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maul Brady

Maul Brady Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 1999
    Right on, Patrick Russell. That's the attitude we should all take!! :)

Well, we're closer to that final, glorious date!!!! Enjoy, my fellow fans!

2. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    So begins the Basher/Gusher divide...

Brings more meaning to this guys role though. :p

3. JulesTHWAF

JulesTHWAF Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 21, 2000
    I thought that title was a joke. I still don't believe it. They didn't announce TPM until the October before the movie opened. They're 2 months early. Maybe this is a Revenge of the Jedi like ruse? God I hope so. I was rolling on the floor laughing when I first saw and now I feel like weeping like a little girl! I'm so disappointed. This doesn't sound right. At least Empire Strikes Back rolls and feels right. This feels... bad.

DAMN YOU, GEORGE!

4. Darth_Maul25SW

Darth_Maul25SW Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2001
    Why is everyone so surprised by the title? It's not like any of the Star Wars titles are very creative. I mean look at The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. The Phantom Menace was the most creative of all the Star Wars titles and everyone hated that one when it first came out. Now Attack of the Clones comes and it's more Star Wars than TPM and everyone still complains. At least it's better than The Further Adventures of Jar Jar Binks!

5. Telimeia

Telimeia Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2001
    it's so unexpected, i kind of like it.

6. El Kabong

El Kabong Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 28, 1999
    The thing that people are overlooking is that a name like this is true to the roots of Star Wars - a pulp serial. Just take a look at some of the old Republic titles - Zombies from the Stratosphere, Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe, Radar Men from The Moon, and Zorro's Fighting Legion. No matter how much we might try and deny it, the heart of Star Wars is a movie serial - a big budget serial that'll take 20+ years to complete, but a serial regardless. In that context, Attack of the Clones isn't that different from what has gone before. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that it works JUST fine.

Star Wars may be fantastic, innovative and changed a great many lives - but ultimately people take it way too seriously. As adults watching what is essentially a kids movie, they expect deep, meaningful titles (and in some cases - they ARE deep and meaningful - case in point Phantom Menace), more often than not, they are simply fluff. And when you get right down to it, that's all they *need* to be. . . .

7. El_Emperador

El_Emperador Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2001
    Hmmm...

It's interesting, but it's growing on me.

SO, what does it mean? Clones = good or bad?

The title makes it sound bad, but I still stick to my theory of the clones are the Republic troopers.

8. Darth_Smeagol

Darth_Smeagol Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    I like it. For some reason it reminds me of The Empire Strikes Back. At first I had the knee jerk reaction of it sucks, but after thinking about it alittle and repeating it to myself a couple of times it has already grown on me.

9. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    I think it's a great title. Simple, to the point, promising action, and a homage to old sci fi movies and comics.

And how is it any worse or less creative than TESB or ROTJ?

10. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    I am so disappointed, what kind of crap is 'Attack of the Clones' ??? the word 'attack' is far too reminiscient of Killer Tomatos.
    :_|

11. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Yah, very good point. People complained about TPM and how stupid it was and how should be more simple like the OT titles (i.e. "The Empire Strikes Back", "Return of the Jedi"), and now everyone's complaining that this one's too cheesy, and not "cool" like "The Phantom Menace".

*siiiiiiigh*..... You can't please everybody.

~Sithy~

12. NerdyNathan

NerdyNathan Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2001
    I first saw it on TF.N and I thought it was just a generic news title. Then I saw it say, "What do you think of the new title?". "NO WAY!" I responded. So I hurried to the official site and sure enough, it was there. And you know what?...

I LOVE IT! I laughed for about a minute when I saw it, but it wasn't a mocking, cynical laugh. It was a fun laugh, an excited laugh. Like someone said above, it's not like previous titles have been that creative. Star Wars? Ha. A New Hope? A little better. The Empire Strikes Back? Ahem. Return of the Jedi? Ok. The Phantom Menace? Eh.

Attack of the Clones. I'm beginning to like it already.

13. Anakinfan

Anakinfan Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2001
    This better be a joke. I thought TPM was a good title. And the original trilogy wasn't creative but it wasn't cheesy either. I wouldn't care if it was Ep 2, Rise of the Empire or some stupid title like that it would be better than Attack of the Clones! TPM was okay but now I may have to disown the prequel trilogy. It looks like it may only go downhill from here. If the movie is good it good make up for it.

Show today
    1. Mars Attacks!
    2. Attack of the Clones
    3. Attack of the Blob

This is not happening

14. Jedireject

Jedireject Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2001
    Think of it like this, it is the same as if they had renamed Return of the Jedi to Attack of the Ewoks. Maybe the originals didn't have the greatest names, but at least there were not 100 other B-Movies with the same title, "Attack of the (insert creature name here).

I am very disappointed. I like just plain Episode II better.

Jedireject

15. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    "Attack of the clones"??? Damn, I sense a great disturbance in the FORCE. That's obviously Not a great title... Yes, Clone Wars is a major theme in Episode II, but so are other things going on like Love story, Count Dooku, etc...

I think it should be called "Attack of the clones and Young Vader in Love" or something else, I dunno. The official one is just too cheesy!

But, I suggest GL to rethink of that title and change it by the time it comes out in theaters. Maybe fans should help him find a title...

BTW... TV coverage thread of mine on JC Communities. (Not a violation of Episode II discussion on a non SW forum)

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=3652326

16. Obi-Wan69

Obi-Wan69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 1999
    It's cheesy, but what did you expect? Just like TPM, it's a throw back to old sci-fi comics and movies, and it comes right out and tells you what's going on in the film.

I dig it.

17. El_Emperador

El_Emperador Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2001
    I dunno, it just doesn't quite feel right. The "attack" doesn't really belong. "Send in the Clones" or something is better.

Ah well, hopefully the movie will make the title better.

18. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    _____STAR WARS__..__
    _____EPISODE II_____.
    ATTACK OF THE CLONES

19. NerdyNathan

NerdyNathan Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2001
    Ooo, I just got chills seeing that, KaaShamau! :p

20. Anakinfan

Anakinfan Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2001
    Ep. 1 - Attack of the killer robots
    Ep. 4 - Luke attacks!
    ep. 5 - Darth Attacks!
    Ep. 6 - Attack of the Sith Lord!

How about Ep. 2 Black Dawn, or something more like Tpm, Or if you like the OT, Rise of Evil / Rise of the Empire. Even just plain Episode II

The first thing I thought was it isn't April is it? (I am dead serious I was hoping it was April)

21. Nrf-Hrdr

Nrf-Hrdr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2000
    If Episode 3 ends up being called "Hyper Beasts From Outer Space!" (which is now a distinct possibility) you'd still get a bunch of syncophants lapping it up and making apologies for it. I can't belive Lucas could have made such a incredible misjudgement.

22. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    It's not that bad. Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, they also had that b-grade horror movie title origin.

I suppose all of the opposition would be gone if they used a better word than "Attack".

23. trevor2001

trevor2001 Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2001
    Sorry, but I have to quote Mr. Hand on this one: "What are you people, on dope?"

24. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Yah, even though I like it anyways, there probably would be very much less arguing if it was more along the lines of "Onslaught OTC" or something, I dunno.

But for some reason, I feel GL is gonna change the title. He released TPM's title on October 6th, and now he's releasing ATOC's title 2 months early??????

Hmmmm, I sense something...

~Sithy~

25. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Obviously, there were plenty of better, more dramatic choices that Lucas could have made. I'm not saying that I read "Attack Of The Clones" with a grand cry of "EUREKA!!" or anything, but it's not too different from the OT titles. Jeez, how many B-movie sequels had "Return Of The..." or "...Strikes Back" in the title? Y'know?

Now, I certainly have my issues with TPM (Gomer: "No way! Really? YOU?? Nawwww... ") so I'm about as far from being a SW sycophant as you can get, but for what it is and for what all the other SW titles are, Attack Of The Clones is at least par for the course. I can live with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.