main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Title Announced!

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by IwasIamyoda10, Aug 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El_Emperador

El_Emperador Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2001
    Yes, and EXACTLY 2 months before.

Perhaps George wants to see what the fans think of it. Sooooo let's give some suggetions!

2. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    I think it's a good title. Obviously, the Clone Wars were a huge part of the Republic's history, and it makes sense to have the title reflect that. Like "The Empire Strikes Back", the second episode of the prequel trilogy refers to events that occur within the movie. I think that these titles are going to be pretty much parallel in what they tell us, "A New Hope" and "The Phantom Menace" both refer to something more abstract, and now "Attack of the Clones" refers to something similar to the "Empire Strikes Back". Perhaps if it was called "The Clone War" it would be better accepted, but what it is right now fits. It gives the feeling that there's a sudden assault by clones on the Republic, which just happens out of nowhere. Something sudden and unavoidable.

3. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    I dunno, at first it seemed stupid, but think:

The Empire Strikes Back
    Attack of the Clones

Is that THAT bad?

Plus I think AOTC looks like a cool acronym.

4. silvermark

silvermark Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2001
    Hey, let's remind ourselves that these movies are chapters in a saga!!

Imagine yourself reading a novel and coming across a chapter named "Attack Of The Clones"... what would be so bad about that??

I think that AOTC fits well with the "epic title" style of the OT...we just need to get used to it for a while.

Just my $0.02...

Mark.

5. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    It could have been worse...

_._..___..__..._STAR WARS_.._.._.._..____
    __..___..__...._EPISODE II_____..__..__...
    ATTACK OF THE 50FT CLONES FROM MARS!

:p

6. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Like I said, I like the title.

Everybody has way too high of expectations. This is why many didn't like TPM (the movie, not the title). Don't get your hopes so high that they can never be reached. ;)

7. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    I think it's a bit simplistic to try to tie people's disappointment with TPM to their having had unreasonably high expectations. Personally, I intend to go into AOTC relatively unspoiled (unless LFL flat-out spoils a major plot climax by putting the corresponding reaction shot in the bloody trailer like they did with TPM!) and with the same basic expectation that I had for TPM... that I'd be seeing a good, solid SW film. And I just didn't feel that TPM was all that solid a film. I'm hoping that AOTC will be. And that's the only real expectation I have.

I think it's POSSIBLE that Lucas will pull a good one out of his hat this time... I would imagine that after the drubbing TPM got from a lot of fans he'll at least TRY to come up with a better story. I'm willing to try to give him the benefit of the doubt at least until I've seen the movie. And at that point, maybe AOTC will work better as a title if it ends up being connected to a solid film.

8. TheGreatWhoDunnit

TheGreatWhoDunnit Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2001
    Check out the EpII page on the official site. Along with all the episodes, AOTC is written in large, official font. With the images on the page, it feels appropriate. I guess I like it.

9. PMthruROTJ

PMthruROTJ Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 1999
    I thought The Phantom Menace was a great title. Attack of the Clones is a bit Ed Wood-ish, but, as stated before, it is in the vein of The Empire Strikes Back. The OT-titles are cheesy, and this is in that spirit. Ultimately, if it's a good movie, no one will care what the title is.

10. KaaShamau

Aug 15, 2000
    [image=http:\\www.vertain.demon.co.uk\logo\attackoftheclones.jpg]

11. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Well...

I guess I'll have to partially join the bashers on this one. Those who know me know that this MIGHT be the only time you'll ever see me do that! :)

My initial reaction was... IS THAT A JOKE?! Honestly. I think that's what everyone was thinking.

To be honest, I liked The Phantom Menace (the title) from the very beginning, but it became even better when I saw the movie / knew more about it. Even worse, I thought the fans were being picky and annoying by complaining about TPM's title, and now I find myself on the opposite end, where I'm not exactly very enthusiastic about this title.

It's August, right? Not April? Hmm...couldn't be an April fool's joke, then, I guess.

No honestly, I am sure the title will grow on me and I'm sure by the time I see the movie I will actually like it.

I know it's hard to think about, but honestly "The Empire Strikes Back" could seem QUITE corny if we weren't so used to it, but I love that title.

I think honestly we'll get used to this title, if it is indeed the final one. Remember guys and gals, the movie's quality matters the most, not the frickin' title!

12. Darth-Mouth

Darth-Mouth Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 18, 1999
    Wha? What just happened? I had the craziest dream that Episode II was called Attack of the Clones? Hahahaha!!! Imagine that!!! Wow!!

(Expletive deleted cuz I like the title now)

13. KaaShamau

Aug 15, 2000
  14. tanhauser

tanhauser Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2001
    I have to say that I like it, it goes perfectly well with any of the other titles, I'm sure that with time we will all get used to it :)

Frank

15. Whimper

Whimper Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 1999
    No, you can't say that. But it's an appropriate response. [face_plain]

Someone in another thread mentioned the possibility (wishful thinking) that the official site might have been hacked. While this isn't likely, it's still possible it could be a hack. www.thephantommenace.com was registered by LucasFilm right away, after the title was released (or was it just before?). That address just sends you to the Star Wars homepage (as do the names of several major characters, etc.) However, www.attackoftheclones.com doesn't send you anywhere-- it says it's registered by a squatter, "Coming Soon".

EDIT: KaaShaMU, all I can say is "great minds think alike" :)

16. Temperance

Temperance Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2001
    Well, it could have been worse. It could have been called, "Send In The Clones".

I can see the ol' chairman of the board singing that one.

I can also see Sideous saying that in much the same way as, "Wipe them out. All of them."

17. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Even though I didn't really like The Phantom Menace, I think Attack of the Clones fits in perfectly with the whole pulp science fiction feeling that George Lucas was trying to create back in 1977. I know it's cheesy, but it's cheesy in a cool way. Anyway, I'm a Doctor Who fan, and we've had to put up with such titles as The Underwater Menace, and Attack of the Cybermen, so I reckon it's great! Wouldn't be cool if Episode III was called Genesis of the Empire? Or is that too cheesy?

18. -AttackOfTheClones-

-AttackOfTheClones- Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2001
    I am so great. You will all undertsand my greatness in time.

19. darthdickalan

darthdickalan Jedi Youngling

Aug 5, 2001
    Are most of you guys stupid? Attack of the clowns? grow up yea empire almost sounds like the empire craps back shut up. The Star Wars saga has always been simple cereal popcorn movies no more no less. So why dont we stop saying things that were going to regret in about 1 day.

20. Darth-Mouth

Sep 18, 1999
    You're probably right, -AOTC-.

It seems better even after only a half hour of knowing it. It will blend in.

BTW, this probably means EPIII won't have an "of the" in the title, right? In fact, the title of EPIII will probably be a sentence, like "The Empire Strikes Back" since the form of TPM=ANH and AOTC=ROTJ. But I'm getting ahead of myself. I'll edited the expletive from my previous post, too. Not because I fear the wrath but because I don't feel that way anymore. :)

21. Ersh

Ersh Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2001
    I just joined the forum counsel because of this...

I recieved a phone call from my brother over an hour ago. He told me that they had announced the new name for Episode II. I was excited and surprised, thinking we wouldn't hear this until November. (like the Phantom Menace) He told me the name was "Attack of the Clones". I laughed and said "yeah right, what is it really?" He told me to check starwars.com and low and behold there it was in offical-looking text! I was shocked and saddened. I thought Lucas would learn from his mistakes (see: Jar Jar) and make Episode a little more serious. Also I always thought Episode II would be darker, like ESB, but now with the new name for the movie, it has changed my perspecive 180 degrees! I was so excited for next year to camp out in front of the treater again on opening day, but now this name just puts a really bad taste in my mouth. Do I really want to wait in line for days to see a movie called "Attack of the Clones"?...Would you? Being a devoted and lifelong Star Wars fan, spending $1000's on Star Wars mechendise, etc., I feel that this is a bad move on Lucas's behalf (and BTW, the whole Jar jar thing never really bothered me) and has made me rethink about how much I really care about the whole Star Wars Saga. How can I take the movie seriously if it's called "Attack of the Clones"? I was never upset at Lucas for creating Jar Jar, but to name a movie that is wrong. The first thing I think of when I see the title are those campy sci-fi movies from the 50's.

Not the best way to broaden you fan base, George. Sorry. :(

22. Jenavira

Jenavira Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 1998
    I'm...starting to like it. It took me twenty minutes to get over the 'Attack of the Killer Tomatoes' jokes, but hey, it took me a week to say "The Phantom Menace" without laughing. It's campy, and I like it. :)

23. EagleIFilms

Apr 6, 2001
    While I did at first believe AotC to be a joke-aka The Rise of Jar Jar-the more I think about it, it sounds cool. I mean, not knowing the plot, there could be clones attacking, so the title sounds about right.

TESB sounds stupid as well, as does ROTJ, in fact, all exept ANH and TPM sound dumb when you first hear them, but over time they grow on you.

24. EagleIFilms

Apr 6, 2001
    While I did at first believe AotC to be a joke-aka The Rise of Jar Jar-the more I think about it, it sounds cool. I mean, not knowing the plot, there could be clones attacking, so the title sounds about right.

TESB sounds stupid as well, as does ROTJ, in fact, all exept ANH and TPM sound dumb when you first hear them, but over time they grow on you.

Also, the the guy that wanted to know why www.aotc.com isn't working yet, also remember that when you put your cursor over the II on the OS, it still says Episode II. Just give 'em time.

[EDIT]

I just realized that on the OS today page, it show the first paragraph to an opening title. It reads:
    '10 years after the Trade Federation invasion of Naboo,
    not only has the galaxy undergone significant change,
    but so have our falmilier heroes Obi-Wan Kenobi,
    Padme Amildala, and Anakin Skywalker as the--
    --e thrown together for the first t--'

Is this for real, or did they just throw it together for the announcement?

25. Darth-Mouth

Sep 18, 1999
    Whoa!! Deja vu!!

Guys...do me one favor.

Go to the Official Episode II page.

Obi-Wan has his beard and saber. Padme and Anakin are about to kiss....and now the title is up.

It looks REALLY cool!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.