main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Title Announced!

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by IwasIamyoda10, Aug 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Yes, it does. On that page, the title looks VERY cool.

2. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    By the way, what is this supposed to mean:

"That's fine... if Lucas doesn't have it in him to get deep with these films after all, and they're going to be typical eye-candy summer blockbuster fare, then that's what they're going to be. I like a roller coaster just as much as the next guy"

WHAT?! The Phantom Menace was FAR more than just another summer blockbuster, as almost any fan here would agree, so what are you trying to imply? Lucas hasn't changed his plan, anyway, Episodes II and III ARE more serious -- it's the nature of the saga. Duh. Episode I has to introduce the saga and set the events in motion that lead to the downfall of Anakin Skywalker and the republic (I hope that's not a spoiler, hahaha). Of course the next two films have to have a great deal of serious situations and drama because otherwise they won't get from point A, TPM, to point B, the original trilogy...

By the way, the real reason I came back into the thread is to say I'm already liking "Attack of the Clones" better, it's kinda cool. If you take it to be more "vicious," if you will, than cheesy, then it's sweet. I'm starting to like it more already, though still, definitely unexpected.

I think "The Clone Wars" would have envoked a more serious response, you know? It just seems to me that, even though we all used that title before, The Clone Wars would have made more sense. Then again, maybe it's just because of the familiarity of the title...

"Imagine yourself reading a novel and coming across a chapter named "Attack Of The Clones"... what would be so bad about that??"

Nice...never thought about it that way.

3. Darth-Mouth

Darth-Mouth Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 18, 1999
    EagleIFilms, no way that's the official opening crawl. It's waaay too campy.

"our heroes"? nah, that's not at all like what we're used to. The opening crawls are much more formal, ESPECIALLY TPM's.

Title=real
    Crawl=fake

4. Anakinfan

Anakinfan Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2001
    The crawl was the same thing as the last paragraph of the article so it obviously is not real.

5. saberwielder76

saberwielder76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2001
    Hmmmmm. I'm sure that it will grow on me, I felt the same way when I heard Episode I was called "The Phantom Menace". I thought that there was no way that was correct. Then I started hearing and seeing it used in the media, and started liking it more and more. And the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. I can even picture it in the opening crawl. It will work, we just have to get used to it.

6. -AttackOfTheClones-

-AttackOfTheClones- Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2001
    The title will grow on you as you think about it. And when you see the actual movie, only then will you understand.

7. Nrf-Hrdr

Nrf-Hrdr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2000
    Really though, if anyone had suggested this in one of those 'Ep 2 title suggestions' threads, no-one would have hesitated in criticising it.

8. Darth-Mouth

Sep 18, 1999
    Tru, Nrf-Hrdr, but did we as fans EVER come up with a consensus title? I heard some cool ones but it's not as if we had decided on one collectively.

It's George's world. We're just paying the rent.

9. muymaul

muymaul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 24, 1999
    People, relax. First of all, it is just the title of the movie! We don't even know the content of the movie (at least some of us). If the movie is really good, no one will care what the movie is called. Second, when did Star Wars become our property? It is always amazing to me to see how people react to these things, as if George Lucas owes them something. Not only should we decide the content of the movies, e.g. no Jar Jar, less Anakin acting like a child, etc. , now we should decide how the movies are titled. I have no problem with people not liking it or liking it, but acting like Lucas has done something personal to you is a bit ridiculous.

10. Princess-Leah

Princess-Leah Sketch Card Artist star 5 VIP

Jun 12, 2001
    Well, I was a little surprised at first...and too thought it was a joke, 'til I visited the OS. I'm ok with it.

GWL created this universe for fun and entertainment not as serious stuff. I remember when Star Wars first came out, my mother said it was 'cute' and fun, that it reminded her so much of all the westerns and pulp movies of her youth. So, it turns out she was right.

All in fun. Let's just get over it and move on to enjoy.
    BTW, did anyone get the title in the 'Ep II' title chase board?? Be interesting to know if someone, even in jest got it.

CHEERS to George for always doing it his way, no matter what WE think!!!
    Love ya George!!

11. DarthPorkinsAHHHGHG

DarthPorkinsAHHHGHG Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2001
    There are two words that are helping me get through this nightmare. I'd like everyone to chant them along with me now....ready?

BLUE HARVEST...BLUE HARVEST...BLUE HARVEST

Ahhh. Now doesn't that feel better?

12. Rogue-Leader

Rogue-Leader Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    What kind of name is Attack of the Clones, sounds like an old horror movie to me. I hope the movie is better than the title. P.S. does anybody know if Jar Jar is gonna be in the movie

13. Senator Lorena

Senator Lorena Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2000
    As I mentioned on another thread, I was 13 when the title Empire Strikes Back was released, and I did not like it. None of my friends who liked Star Wars liked it. After seeing the movie, I realized the title fit very well.

If the AotC is not a joke, it will make sense later.

BTW: I remember seeing the trailer to Revenge of the Jedi in December 1982. At that time many fans complained that revenge was not part of what the Jedi movie should be. Shortly before the movie was released in May 1983, the name was changed. I don't know if the original name was a joke or was changed due to complaints. If fans don't like AotC, GL may change it, even at the last minute.

14. Scottarius

Scottarius Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2001
  15. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    It's only been out a few hours, and we already got title bashers starting petitions...It's madness!

Gotta love it!

16. sporkmanp

sporkmanp Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2000
    First Jar Jar, now "Attack of the Clones"?!!! I'm seriously beginning to think that Lucas was kidnaped and replaced with an evil George clone! I only hope that Lucas keeps his ears tuned in to the fans, and decides to change this. I've already seen the polls for and it doesn't look pretty!

17. NerdyNathan

NerdyNathan Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2001
    A few points:

1) It's a title. I know it's hard just to say "Ignore it if you want," but it's not that bad.

2) I want anyone who dislikes the title to post a significantally better title in this thread. I'm not saying you can't, I just want to see what everyone comes up with.

18. Darth_Maul25SW

Darth_Maul25SW Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2001
    I'm kind beginning to see a pattern with Star Wars titles. A New Hope and The Phantom Menace both are kind of epic sounding and great begining titles. The Empire Strikes back and Attack of the Clones are both simple and state the basic plot of the film and sound like the second chapter of a book. And yes the title could've been WAAAAAY better. I mean it's good right now. But why waste a great title on the second chapter.

19. Sky_Hart

Sky_Hart Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2001
    Seriously... How important is a title?

Is anyone now NOT going to go see it because they don't like the title? He could call "Star Wars: You Keep Giving GL Money" and it will top the box office.

Lets just keep our hopes up for a great summer in '02.

20. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    "The Phantom Menace was FAR more than just another summer blockbuster, as almost any fan here would agree, so what are you trying to imply?"

Uh... well, I don't think everyone here "shares your optimistic appraisal" of TPM. IMHO, the effects were the star of TPM and the story came second, just like any other two-bit summer blockbuster. That it had the Star Wars brand name on it and a couple good lightsaber fights didn't seem to matter much in the long run.

And when it comes right down to it, what I'm trying to imply here is that what Lucas said long ago as far as what the feel of the Prequel Trilogy would be (darker, more serious, less of an adventurous romp than the OT films) and what it has so far been (goofy, superficial and as much if not MORE of an adventurous romp than the OT films) are two very different things. TPM was an overblown kiddie romp with political undertones which if focused upon more heavily would have made TPM a MUCH better picture, and as far as AOTC is concerned... well, the Official Site says of the title "It harkens back to the sense of pure fun, imagination and excitement that characterized the classic movie serials and pulp space fantasy adventures that inspired the Star Wars saga."

Sounds like more happy-go-lucky serial stuff like the OT, doesn't it? That's fine, if that's what Lucas has decided that he wants from the PT and that he's NOT going to make it the darker, more thoughtful, less kiddie-oriented trio of films that he mentioned years ago as being his plan, then there's little that can be done about it. If it's going to be Saturday morning serial flick fluff, then that's what it's gonna be. I'm sure that the lightsaber battles will be fun.

(I really hope he makes a better film than the half-assed twaddle he stuck us with in TPM. I'm not convinced that he won't, but I'm not THAT convinced.)

21. darthdastoli

darthdastoli Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2000
    It sounds like a title for a 50s sci fi B movie. I don't like it.

22. Ternian

Ternian Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2000
    I see the title has already worked like a charm...clever LFL

23. andersoj01

andersoj01 Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2001
    I think there is a theme that everyone is missing...

The first episode in each trilogy talks about a specific person in the title:

The Phantom Menace -- A New Hope

The second episode in each trilogy talks
    about a war / large group of people

Attack of the Clones -- The Empire Strikes Back

The third episode... well... I'm assuming the title will have something to do with vader's individual fall, just as Return of the Jedi did with his individual redemption.

24. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Excellent! :)

The EpII bashing is underway...

Some people on this board are unreal. I can see no reason for disliking 'Attack of the Clones' and liking 'The Empire Strikes Back'. Two simple, cheesy titles that stick in your head like glue. Brilliant!

I mean, 'Star Wars' is actually a bloody cheesy title itself.

25. Darth-Mouth

Sep 18, 1999
    Ternian, out of curiosity, what are you getting at?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.