main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Title Announced!

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by IwasIamyoda10, Aug 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith Interceptor

Sith Interceptor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 1999
    oooooh, ok...

2. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    Strange, for TPM we expected the greatest epic of all time.

Now for Attack of the 50ft Killer Tomato Clones from Alderaan, we're expecting a cheap B-Movie!!

[face_laugh]

3. Blue_Viper

Blue_Viper Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2001
    I'm having more fun with reading reactions to the title than the actual title itself.

I think the age of the internet has propogated a lot of impatience and overexpectations in society. We never had up-to-date information on our favorite movies being made. We saw trailers on tv and at the theater, and that's how we found out. Now, we have sites devoted to certain movies, and information is found almost instantaneous. And the more readily available it is, the more impatient the internet users get. And when it deals with a long-cherished movie saga such as Star Wars, it spawns resentment and hatred.

Attack of the Clones. It's the title. It's the title to a new Star Wars movie. I look forward to seeing Attack of the Clones next May. I've learned to not be impatient and wanting to learn about every detail in the next star wars movie. I did that with TPM: read the official site and theforce.net almost everyday. I read spoilers, looked at pictures, discussed it all the time. Found out about the title and was perplexed and yearned for a 'better' title. (I like the title now). I approach Episode II (Or AOTC now) much differently. No spoilers, very few pictures (just on official site), and don't check every little news bit about star wars 24/7. And when the title hit yesterday, I looked at it and said "hmm. cool." I'm having a blast reading the comments on the internet. You people are hysterical. Someone actually paid money to buy the website name www.attackoftheclonesblows.com. Wasted money because you hate a title to a movie? That's what I call funny.

4. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    Blue_Viper; I know I'm being a hypocrite but that's actually very well said.

:)

5. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    A good point was raised earlier... well, I don't know if it was exactly the point that my rather bent melon got out of it, but still... for TPM we all expected a grand, sweeping adventure, and ended up with a glorified (barely) B-movie. Perhaps now with this AOTC title combining with memories of walking out of the theatre after TPM muttering "WTF was THAT??", we're now expecting another glorified B-movie and will all be pleasantly surprised when we do see Episode II.

Perhaps George is putting the Bush spin on the whole thing... expectations were set so low for Shrubbie that when he did get into office he could screw up on a regular basis and STILL exceed expectations. Maybe George is shooting us an extremely low bar for expectations for this next film so that we're more able to take it for what it is.

(Okay, I've now descended to comparing Episode II to Junior effin' Bush... time for me to scare up some meds. Somethin's gone outta whack here...)

6. norway

norway Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2000
    Good on ya, Blue Viper! :)

(though i am absolutely one of the nay-sayers)

7. wilykat

wilykat Jedi Youngling

Aug 7, 2001
    <evil grin> The title works perfectly for our plans. Mwahahaha! [face_devil]

Some of us are planning something for opening night so groundbreaking, so original, so fantastic, and so VERY unbelievable that CNN may carry the story!

Now if we can just get the dancing hamsters to cooperate.... :D

8. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Just wanted you let ya'll know...my paper (the Charlotte Observer) changed the AP article from 'Natalie Portman returns as Padme Amidala' to 'Natalie Portman returns as Queen Amidala'. A stupid descision, since Padme is no longer Queen. I'm really pissed.

9. augusto

augusto Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    Hey, isn't that a spoiler about Amidala ?

Damn you !

10. EagleIFilms

Apr 6, 2001
    No, no, I'm not a Spoileder.

It's on the official site. If not, some Admin let me know and I'll edit it, or you edit it yourself.

11. augusto

Aug 6, 2001
    If not, some Admin let me know and I'll edit it, or you edit it yourself.

Send me your password so I can edit your posts.

LOL

12. Maul Brady

Maul Brady Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 1999
    Haa, augusto, real smart ;)

Dudes, I just wanna see Episode 2!! That's all I want! I don't care about the title, I just want Episode 2!! As someone said like two posts ago, we will be majorly surprised when we see this film! Since we're now expecting a "western" movie!

Do no worry, my fellow fans, ALL IS WELL!!

13. Patrick Russell

Jul 9, 1998
    "Was GL high when he thought of this title? Cuz it's way too cheesy. That's soiling the Star Wars image."

No, I think that if Lucas WERE puffing a bit of the kind he'd have come up with something a lot trippier than "Attack Of The Yaddayaddas".

Again, we've gone from Lucas nicking dialogue from Carlos Castaneda in ESB to Lucas nicking lines from Wayne's World and Roger Rabbit in TPM. If anything, the problem is that he ISN'T tokin' up! ;)

14. KnightFyr

KnightFyr Jedi Youngling

Dec 13, 2000

I'm not a big fan of it but hey it's not my movie or anyone elses here on this board (Unless George Lucas is here then I stand corrected) give it up with all this stupid petition garbage. The name of Phantom Menace didn't change and we in the US and Canada still see the movie first so obviously it doesn't matter how many names you get on a petition it's not gonna change it. SO get a clue relax and enjoy the movie when we see it cause after Attack of the Clones there is only one movie left.

15. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I'm still just hysterical about the fact that people can make themselves say stuff like "AotC is too cheesy" (while obviously thinking that TESB is such a sweet and elegant title) or "AtoC ruins SW with cheese" (while obviously ignoring that the words Star and Wars have been combined by Lucas into one of the cheesiest monikers of all time).

Come on. STAR WARS. It's cheese!

The Phantom Menace was mysterious and elusive. Attack of the Clones is straight forward and aggressive. It's the SW title that most resembles The Empire Strikes Back, which is also an unbelievably cheesy title. AotC sounds like just the movie you people complained that you didn't get with TPM.

STAR WARS Episode II : ATTACK OF THE CLONES

I've slept on it. It rules.

16. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    Why are you acting like the title means the movie will be different. You people are saying that the movie won't be dark now that the title is AOTC. That doesn't make sense. The title doesn't change the tone of the movie. It just gives the movie a damn title. You guys are acting like the movie automatically sucks now. I feel bad for you people.

I'd like to see someone on the board create something as creative and loved as Star Wars. I bet none of you can do it. You know why because your not that damn creative. Just because the title isn't what you wanted you start to bitch and moan. What do you guys want. I'd like to see you make Episode III. I guarantee it would be a load of garbage and everyone would laugh at you. This isn't your decision. You guys want Lucas to do what you want and that will not happen. Get over it!

Give the title a chance. The title is pretty much the same as Return of the Jedi if you think about. I don't see you making fun of that title. The movie is going to be damn good. Even if it is you still won't like it because it won't be exactly what you want. Your expectations are too high!

Sorry about venting my steam like that but come on. You guys are acting like it is a crime that the title is ATTACK OF THE CLONES.

17. Erela_Skywalker

Erela_Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2001
    You know what.... last night when I found out about this title, I was furious. I was annoyed. I thought that it was a joke, that GL must have had something crazy going on in his head. On page five of this string you can find my first post. I said I thought that GL had already been attacked by a clone and the clone came up with the title. Of all the titles I had come up with there wasn't one that I thought was worse than AOTC. I slept, and woke up this morning, still super annoyed. Then, around 11:00 AM I began to think. I thought that the title couldn't possibly match up to the other titles. I mean, how could "Attack of the Clones" stand with titles like "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi?" .... Wait a sec... what did I just write? "The Empire Strikes Back?" Man, what a wierd name. How could George Lucas have come up with something so obvious for a Star Wars movie. And "Return of the Jedi?" talk about lame...
    Ok. I'm 14. When I saw the SW movies I already knew the titles. I also knew how good the movies were supposed to be. I didn't judge the movie because of its title. I mean, "Star Wars?" If I heard that name without knowing a thing about the movie I'd think it was pretty stupid. But SW isn't about that. It isn't about the titles. It isn't about a jumble of words that crawl up the screen. It isn't about a clumsy bannished alien that tries to follow around a couple Jedi, or little teddy bears that can take on stormtroopers (Hey, don't get me wrong. I like the Ewoks.) Star Wars represents much more than that. It represents the battle against good and evil and the knowledge that eventually good will triumph. It's about the hum of the lightsaber, the farm boy who becomes more than what he thinks he can be, a rebellion with spirit, a group of friends that are willing to do almost anything to be there for one another, it's about strength, justise, love, and trust. That's what people saw in these movies when they first hit the big screen. That's why fans are in line weeks in advance to get tickets. That's why sites like these exist. I'm ashamed that I allowed myself to think for a minute that the title of a Star Wars movie would be enough to make me judge it, judge the man who created the galaxy that we all know and love. Maybe the rest of you are feeling the same way as I am right now. Maybe for those of you that aren't, what I'm writing will help change that. All I know is that everyone had better get their X-Wings fueled and their lightsabers charged, becuase AOTC is going to be one heck of an adventure!

18. Patrick Russell

Jul 9, 1998
    Personally, I don't think that the title changes the tone of the film. What does concern me, however, is that perhaps the tone of the film was never really as dark and meaty as we'd been led to believe. All the talk about "fun-filled adventure" on the Official Site sounds like Lucas may have been intending to pull his punches on this one all along.

If I'm wrong about this I'll be one of the happiest bums around though, lemme tell ya.

19. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    hey, it's better than attack of the killer clones...

20. augusto

Aug 6, 2001
    How dark do you want your movie to be ?

Episode One was supposed to be the "lightest" and most innocent one, this movie was always supposed to be a love story, a bit darker, and full of action/adventure. The 3rd one we have all known to be the darkest of all.

I don't think anybody has been misleading you but yourself. I know we all love ESB, but people, these movies can't all be dark in tone of the whole thing would just be too depressing.

Hey, I've always been a bigger fan of the "Empire" and the bad guys in the SW universe, I'm sure they'll dominate this movie a lot more than Episode 1 (bounty hunters, clones, etc).

21. EagleIFilms

Apr 6, 2001
    Hey, I think, looking over at the 'The title of Episode II' thread, there was a psycic!

Look at what MusicJedi said:

'I think the title wil be anouther throw back. Phantom Menace seemed like a B-movie title from the 60's, so we will probably get something goofy like that.'

Weird, ain't it?

22. augusto

Aug 6, 2001
    Useless factoid of the day;

In Spanish, "The Empire Strikes Back" was named "El Imperio Contra Ataca" (which sounds pretty cool in Spanish). Which literally would be "The Empire Counter Attacks".

So I guess in an inderect kind of way, "Attack" has already been used in a Star Wars title. :)

23. Patrick Russell

Jul 9, 1998
    Augusto, my point was that Lucas has seriously changed his tune on the whole prequel thing since he got back into the SW making business. For YEARS what we heard from him was that the prequels were darker, more serious, more mature in theme than the OT and that they were the less marketable of the two trilogies because they weren't the fun, adventurous romps that the OT films were (which, he always maintained, was why he began with Episode IV in the first place... because Luke's trilogy was more lighthearted and accessible (read: marketable) than the PT stories.)

Obviously he changed his mind on TPM, and that combined with the statements on the Official Site about getting back to "good ol' Star Wars fun and adventure" in Episode II makes me wonder if he's going to back off and water Episode II down as well.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong. I'm not expecting Wes Craven/Philip K. Dick or anything, but I'm also not really all that up for more John Hughes/Jim Henson like what we got in TPM.

24. Darth_Maul25SW

Darth_Maul25SW Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2001
    The just annouced the real title! It's Star Wars Reloaded!

25. gahiggidy2000

gahiggidy2000 Jedi Youngling

Aug 7, 2001
    I have done a complete 180 in my opinion during the past 24 hours, after the shock of this title. At first I thought it was lame, unimaginative, and awkward.

Now, a day later I have never been so excited for this movie. Think about it!! "Attack of the Clones" is the real Star Wars Lucas has always wanted it to be. None of this religioso mombo jumbo or pretentious "art-movie" crap. This is movie entertainment at its purest. "Attack of the Clones" is as smple and straight-foward as it gets. No worry about ambiguity in the meaning at all. Most important of all, maybey this time the media, and the super-fans, won't mistake the movie for some second coming thats going to enlighten the world and help solve our societal and interpersonal problems. Its a movie, DAMMIT! Have a good time, eat some popcorn, relax. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.