Official Title Confirmation : Episode III: Revenge of the Sith!!!!

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by stormcloud8, Jul 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost

star 4
    This proves George never throws away anything. Like he used a lot of production designs that weren't used in TPM for AOTC. Same goes for the unused "Revenge" title.
  2. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    I love it even though yes many of us guessed it. Can not wait until May 2005!! Bring on the Sith!!!
  3. Darth_Goofy Force Ghost

star 4
    I love it. I'm completley geeked out right now. :D
  4. Ghost_Jedi Force Ghost

star 5
    I really like the title, and i think i am going to get the tee.
  5. Dan Chosen One

star 6
    I missed the announcement yesterday. I'm pumped to hear the new title though! Nothing special or fancy, which is probably a good thing. I like the obvious parallel to the last movie. Good choice in my book. :D
  6. Darth_Sacrilicious Force Ghost

star 2
    i wonder how familiar the average population will be with the term "sith." i think qui-gon mentions it in TPM, but will the average public be WTF? just a thought.
  7. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
    You know, I was telling a girl about the title today, and I had that very thought...will she even know what that word means?

But of course, as the OT made the word Jedi famous, the PT is supposed to make the word Sith famous. Each is victorious in the end of their particular trilogy.
  8. Raz Zaphon Jedi Master

star 4
    I was telling a girl about the title today

Ohhhhh noo...

Nah nah, jokes, jokes. [face_mischief]
  9. Stormtrooper_Shrink Jedi Master

star 4
    *bounces* So when do we change the banner?
  10. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    I like the title a lot. I thought it was sweet when I heard it, but the more I thought about it the more brilliant I thought it was.

The parallel of having the last prequel episode be "Revenge of the Sith" and the last episode of the saga be called "Return of the Jedi" is fantastic. Plus it confirms what I said to some people all along, Return of the Jedi didn't mean "Return of Luke Skywalker." I don't know if anyone here thought that, but I know some people who were casual fans always thought that's what it meant. I felt that the title of ROTJ actually had three meanings in one, return of the Jedi as an order because of the victory of the alliance, return of Anakin Skywalker as a Jedi, to the light side, or most distantly return of Luke (but return from what? So that doesn't work well...).

I'm going to have to get used to ROTS, that is funny initials. ROTJ seems so normal to me. Now we got three movies with three letters and three with four, nice [unless you're a huge ESB fan, then you call it TESB so you can claim that the letters re-arranged make BEST ;)]
  11. Adali-Kiri Jedi Master

star 4
    It works very well for several reasons.

1) It's important to use the word SITH in one of the movie titles. It balances the story and simple and effectively indicate the conclusion to each trilogy, and also WHO is the protagonist in each case. Had the movie been called Fall of the Jedi or something like that (which would admittedly fit with Return of the Jedi) it would have been 2 titles with the word Jedi in them. In a way that rhymes, but it's sweeter that both orders get a title each.

2) It rhymes with Return of the Jedi, and subtly outlines the differences in Jedi and Sith ideology. The Sith crave revenge as an asset to their aggressive ideology, while the Jedi patiently believe in the light and it's inevitable victory over the destructive powers of the dark side.

3) It's an aggressive title! Episode III obviously needs an aggressive title. Fall of the Jedi, or even Rise of the Empire, are more diffuse and passive titles. Revenge of the Sith is burning red, and the official lay-outs also seem to center on red colors and flames. This is very obvious, but very right.

4) It indicates as strongly as it can that the plotline of the Sith will be completely central to the film's story, even dominating it. TPM - the mysterious and shadowy conflict dominates. AOTC - yeah, the creation of the clone army is central. ANH - centers on Luke and Leia catching up with destiny. TESB - is all about the Empire striking back. ROTJ - just as obvious. With ROTS we know that we'll be getting just that.

5) It simply sounds great in a Star Wars way. :)

But a word of caution: those of you who disliked I and II should most likely not get your hopes up now just because the title doesn't exactly offend you. This is still the same series, the same story, and the same filmmakers. Odds are pretty low that you'll dislike this film too.

Bowen ---
    I agree that Empire is a 4 letter film - TESB.
  12. Lady Phoenix Jedi Master

star 4
    Sweet! No complaints from me!
  13. Seigiryu Jedi Knight

star 2
  14. Ice Jedi Force Ghost

star 3
    Well... when i first heard it i was kind of angry. I mean, Revenge of the Sith is a title that people have been talking abuot sicne Episode I came out. It was one of the titles during the speculation of Episode II and a title that everyone has said or commented about over the years. (wow, its been a lot of years actually...)

But after reading some of the posts here and letting it have some time to sink in, I don't mind it. The way GL has set up ROTS based on the events of AOTC it seems it will paralell ROTJ anyway. I think thas the kind of recognition he was going for. he's telling us that what we see will be a lot like ROTJ and i think thats a good thing.

Besides, there is no point hating the title... we're stuck with it.

--Ice Jedi--
    Back! and still not using a sig!
  15. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Just for comparison, take a look at the reactions people had when AOTC's title was released.

Quite a bit different.
  16. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
    The AOTC thread is hilarious. I remember how shocked and horrified I was when I read that title for the first time. Same with TPM. Totally different reaction this time. ROTS makes sense and is catchy.

By the way, some pretty awful AOTC spoilers on that thread! I'm glad I didn't start posting in the forums until after it came out. I ruined TPM with spoilers and swore off them for AOTC.
  17. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    That's because the titles of AotC and TPM were shocking and horrifying. ;) I still don't really like those titles, but I'm acclimated to them.
  18. EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost

star 5
  19. Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Aw man, why couldn't they have called it something cool like "Revenge of the Sith"?

Oh, wait.

Yeah, I love it. :D
  20. AERYN_SUN Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Okay, I saw the screen cap of the title from Access Hollywood. Okay, I think it works for me now :D I have no issues anymore with the title.

~aeryn
  21. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Very well thought-out post, Adali-Kiri.
    I especially like the point about it being an aggressive title. Revenge of the Sith! It fits in with the whole Flash Gordon style vibe as well, like the old serials with names like "Revenge of the Lizard Emperor!" and so on.
  22. anidanami124 Force Ghost

star 6
    I think the title is kind of cool. It says what the Sith want revenge. :) Also Like that you can go ROTS just put a 'J' in there and then it would be ROTJ. ;)
  23. stinrab Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I like pronouncing the acronym. Rots.
  24. SkywalkerSolo Force Ghost

star 3
    ROTS is perfect!!! It fits the whole idea of the films being those saturday morning serials Lucas saw as a kid. It makes sense too, after the poor Sith having their plans wrenched in the TPM and AOTC, by Anakin, to have him on the dark side will be a nice revenge.

-Sky

~I know it's a week late, but I just got back from Europe last night, and didn't find out til about midnight, when my dad handed me a print out from the net. Apparently they don't care much about star wars in the kinda small towns I was in.
  25. Xzar-Teel Jedi Knight

star 1
    Apparently they don't care much about star wars in the kinda small towns I was in.

Now you're just talkin' crazy!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.