main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Traitor thread. (poss. spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by beafet, Nov 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beafet

beafet Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 12, 2001
    what, no comments?

2. beafet

Mar 12, 2001
    well, we have a cover scan at least now

3. beafet

Mar 12, 2001
  4. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    Here's the cover of Traitor...

Cover

It seems to be like the Jaina cover, only a guy version (with guy colors) and Jacen on it.

5. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    Judging from the excert in the Barnes and Noble freebie Nom Anor is the "Traitor" and Vergere betrays anor to the fanatical leader of the Yuuzhan Vong warriors Tsavong Lah who then sacrifices him as a nameless thing,the Dark Side evil on Coruscant is possibly nom anors brainwashing of Jacen Solo into beliving that he is one of the gods and jacen being changed by it, once nom anor is dead vergere frees Jacen who finds Luke,Mara and Tahiri and escapes liberated from the Yuuzhan Vong with his newfound mastery of the Force.

The only question is does Vergere go free with Jacen,die or stay and pretend to be loyal to the Warmaster?

6. beafet

Mar 12, 2001
  7. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    /\
    |
    |

UP!

8. BaronNoir1

BaronNoir1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    We should ask ourselves who is the traitor in question
    A)A Yuutzan Vong defecting to the New Republic ? (man, if it's the case, those guys don't know when to choose the right moment...)
    B)A New Republic official defecting to the Yuutzan Vong ? (Already done...Unless they want to make traitor a big Extended Universe figure, like Ackbar or Antilles)
    C)A Jedi defecting to
    -C1)The Dark Side ?
    -C2)The Yuutzan Vong ?
    (Jaina is a prime candidate for C1, Jacen and Tahiri (because of the shaping) for C2)

9. Caine

Caine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002

Well I'm using this thread to count down to Traitor. Traitor releases on July 30th, so...

Countdown to TRAITOR:

63 DAYS LEFT (counting today)

BTW, I think the title of the book (traitor) is intended for Jacen. From the excerpt, I see the Yuuzhan Vong experimenting with Jacen and hoping to make a traitor out of Jacen (against the shattered New Republic).

In the end though, the YV's plans will backfire. He will betray the Yuuzhan Vong by using their lessons for him against them.

10. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Countdown to TRAITOR:

62 DAYS LEFT

11. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Countdown to TRAITOR:

61 DAYS LEFT

12. beafet

Mar 12, 2001
    uppers

13. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    I found this excerpt floating around on some thread, but I don't remember where. And, this is a pretty big spoiler, so, beware.

It has a lot of typos and sounds like someone wrote it while listening to it on audio, but, I decided to post it unaltered.

Jacen hugged his knees and buried his face against them, grinding his eyesockets against his kneecaps as though he could squeeze the horror out of his head. He remembered Uncle Luke in the doorway of the shed on Belkadan, remembered the sadness on his face as he cut through the Yuuzhan Vong warriors who had captured Jacen, remembered the swift sure pressure as Luke gouged the slave seed out of Jacen's face with his cybernetic thumb.

He remembered that Uncle Luke wouldn't be coming for him this time. Nobody would.

Because Jacen was dead.

"Is that why keep coming here?" he muttered into his folded arms. "To gloat? To [illegible word] a defeated enemy?"

"Am I gloating? Are we enemies?" Vergere asked, sounding honestly puzzled. "Are you defeated?"

Her suddenly sincere tone caught him. He raised his head and could find no mockery now in her eyes. "I don't understand."

"That at least is very clear." she sighed. "I give you a gift Jacen Solo. I free you from hope of rescue. Can you not see how I am trying to help you?"

"Help?" Jacen coughed a bitter chuckle. "You need to brush up your Basic, Vergere. In Basic, whe talk about the kid of things you've done to me, help isn't the word we use."

"No? Then perhaps you are correct: our difficulties may be linguistic." Vergere sighed again and settled even lower folding her arms on the floor in front of her and arranging herself on top of them in a way more feline than avian. Secondary inner lids shrouded her eyes.

"When I was very young - younger than you little Solo - I came upon a [illegible words] at the end of its metamorphosis, within its cocoon," she said distantly, a little sadly. "I had already some touch with the Force, I could feel the shadowmoth's pain, its panic, its claustrophobia, its hopelessly desperate struggle to free itself. It was as though this particular shadowmoth knew I was beside it, and screamed out to me for help. How could I refuse? Shadowmoth cocoons are polychained silicates - very, very tought - and shadowmoths are so delicate, so beautiful, gentle creatures whose only purpose is to sing to the right sky. So I gave it what I think you mean by 'help'. I used a small utility cutter to slice the cocoon to help the shadowmoth get out."

"Oh, you didn't, did you? Please say you didn't." Jacen let his eyes drift closed, sorry already for how he kenw this story would end.

He'd had a shadowmoth in his collection for a short time; he remembered watching the larva grow, feeling its happy satisfaction through his empathic talent as it fed on strupped [insulation?] and crumbled duracrete; he remembered the young shadowmoth that had emerged, spreading its dusky, beautifully striated wings against the crystalline polymore of its viewcage; he remembered the shadowmoth's thrilling whistle of moonsong when he had released it from its viewcage and it had soared away under the mingled glow of Curscant's four moons.

He remembered the desperate panic that had beat in waves against him through the Force the night the shadowmoth had fought free of its cocoon. He remembered his ache to help the helpless creature - and he remembered why he hadn't.

"You can't help a shadowmoth by cutting its cocoon," he said. "It needs the effort, the struggle to break, the cocoon forces [illegible word] into its wing-veins. If you cut the cocoon - "

"The shadowmoth will be crippled." Vergere finished for him solemnly. "Yes it was a tragic creature - never to fly, never to join its fellows in their nightdance under the moons. Even its wingflutes were stunted, and so it was as mute as it was planetbound. During that long summer, we sometimes heard moonsong through the windoe of my bedchamber, and from my shadowmoth I would feel always only sadness and bitter [illegibl

14. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I think Traitor will begin mere moments after Jaina and the others escape from the worldship, just as Dark Journey did. As for when it ends, and whether or not Jacen (and Vergere) rejoin his family, well we just have to wait another sixty days or so to find this out.

15. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    According to Allston, the beginning of Traitor overlaps with the end of Rebel Stand. And I'm guessing that the opening of that "Force Well" in Rebel Stand will play a big part in Traitor.

16. Rogue_of-Peace

Rogue_of-Peace Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I think Caine originally typed up that copy, not sure....

For me: 91 Days to Traitor :mad: (Grumbles at the slow shipping times)

17. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Yep, I originally typed that excerpt up from Bria's scans. :)

Countdown to TRAITOR:

60 DAYS LEFT

18. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    If that's the case, Mastage, then will we learn what happens to Jacen during the first two months or captivity (accounting for Dark Journey, Rebel Dream, and most of Rebel Stand)? But I think you might be wrong. I mean, the reference to Vergere setting Jacen free, and his acknowledging that no one would be coming to rescue him. Don't you think that occurs right after every other Jedi sensed that Force disturbance and took it to be Jacen's death in Dark Journey?

19. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    That disturbance in DJ was great pain and agony. The excerpt in Traitor makes no mention of anything that would cause a thing like that; it makes it sound like he's just been trapped in that white for a looong time.

20. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

It definitely sounds like Vergere "rescued" Jacen from waiting for a rescue from his family somehow. And somehow, that is related to the agony everyone feels in DJ.

It may be that Vergere freed Jacen from a rescue attempt far before this excerpt takes place.

21. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Countdown to TRAITOR:

59 DAYS LEFT

22. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Countdown to TRAITOR:

58 DAYS LEFT

23. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    That seems like an eternity.

24. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Countdown to TRAITOR:

57 DAYS LEFT

25. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    RS spoilers (not sure whether or not we need the warning in this thread, but just to be safe)

Mastadge: According to Allston, the beginning of Traitor overlaps with the end of Rebel Stand. And I'm guessing that the opening of that "Force Well" in Rebel Stand will play a big part in Traitor.

I agree. What I really want to know right now is at exactly what point do Rebel Stand and Traitor overlap. I would be very interested to see Jacen and Vergere's reactions to the Force well's opening up, as we saw the reactions of many other Jedi (pages 277 and 278 of RS). Vergere was a Jedi in the late prequel era, and as likely as not knows about the Force well, so she may very well decide to take some sort of action if she realizes what's happened.

End RS spoilers

We've known the basic outline of Traitor for a long time, but we've yet to get real details on the actual plot, and I strongly believe the happenings we saw on Coruscant in RS may have a lot to do with it.

In any case, as I've said at least a hundred times already, I can't wait for this book! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.