main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

** Official ** Upgrade, 3D card, Hardware Tech Questions **

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by jp-30, Oct 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Here it is.

Ask your hardware related questions here. Void your warranties.
    Tear your hair out.

Anyone who follows any advice given out in this thread does so at their own risk.

That is all for now.

2. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    my RA2 and Yuris revenge wont work. and i have no idea why. so i uninstalled it, reinstalled it, then i installed Yuris Revenge. well i tried to installed it. it freezes right in the middle.

and i cant get JO to work because i got a crappy video card.

arg

3. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    This isn't so much a place to moan about software installation and substandard video cards, rather it's for advice and technical questions to solve hardware related problems.

4. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    I have a Imac DV + Special Edition, I want to know if I can put in a new graphics card because the one I have is 8 mb. Are there any Mac Techies around ?

5. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    As far as I know, the upgrade capabilities for Mac computers are very limited. I would recommend looking into the possibility of getting an IBM-compatible machine, with a GeForce 4 Ti4600 (about $500 CAD) or an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro ($650 CAD). Both good cards. Be on the lookout for the Radeon All-In-Wonder 9700.

6. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    "This isn't so much a place to moan about software installation and substandard video cards, rather it's for advice and technical questions to solve hardware related problems. "

i know, but i just needed to rant.

7. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Yah, actually, I think my hardware problem is gonna get worked out, so I'm wondering, *is* there a software technical questions area? Cause I have a question about a game that I've been needing an answer to for a long, long time, hehe.

8. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Does that game have a thread here?

9. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Um...I haven't seen one lately. Is there a thread for the original Dark Forces game?

10. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  11. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    A_T60, I'm not buying a PC. That would mean becoming a drone 8-} The next one I get will have upgradable everything [face_mischief] . . . but in the mean time does anyone have the faintest idea :confused:

12. Azzgunther

Azzgunther Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
  13. Coligeon

Coligeon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 20, 2002
    I'm not sure, but do Imacs have AGP slots or do they contain integrated graphics (yuck!). Anyway, hope for an AGP slot (brownish color slot). If not, then look for an open PCI slot. ATI has a few Radeons that are Mac compliant and that would surely be better then your current card. Good luck.

14. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    OMG VADER PC LOL! ;)

[image=http://www.burnoutpc.com/images/reviews/darthvadermod/vader%2012.jpg] [image=http://www.burnoutpc.com/images/reviews/darthvadermod/vader%2013.jpg]

15. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001
    So, is there an upper RAM limit Windows 98 1st edition support? I have 320 MB and want to upgrade to 520MB. Will this cause problems?

16. Coligeon

Coligeon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 20, 2002
    It could, yes. I don't think Win98 even uses ram above 256mb, although I could be mistaken, however getting over 500 for Win98 is probably a waste.

17. Darth_Simpson

Darth_Simpson Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    512MB RAM is the max for Win 98 initially, however, there's a fix for it to go higher.

Look around the MS support site for it.

18. obi-wankenobiben

obi-wankenobiben Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Hey i Just Bought a 256 memory card beacause i have been pplaying all my new games on a 64 Memory card and it does not work great.My Question is should i let Best Buy install it or should i install it myself because The guy at best buy said since i have a 64 Memory card you should just put it over the 64 Memory Card is this right?

Obi-wankenobiben!

19. Darth_Simpson

May 7, 2000
    Are you talking about RAM here? There's a lot of types of memory.

You have 64MB RAM and you've bought 256 more, is that it?

20. Invid_Clone

Invid_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Right now I currently own a 3-year-old Compaq Presario with a 500 Mhz Celeron Processor, with 128MB Ram and a not-so-hot VisionTek GeForce4 64MB PCI card (by not so hot I mean that my old Voodoo4 card performed better in many aspects). Buying many of the newer games right now is not an option 'cause my system's not up to snuff anymore. I'm guessing I need a totally new PC to try out hotness like SW: Galaxies and KOTOR. So, what should I get for myself in regards to overall PC power? Should I buy or build? Any advice would certainly be appreciated.

21. obi-wankenobiben

Jan 7, 2002
    Yes i am talking about RAM.

22. Darth_Simpson

May 7, 2000
    If you have any idea about what you are doing, there's no way you should let Best Buy charge you for installing RAM. It's probably one of the easiest things you can install. You just slide it into its slot, and bam, you're done. Make sure you get the right type of RAM though, as some types won't mix.

23. obi-wankenobiben

Jan 7, 2002
    Well i put it in and bam computer messed up. I almost lost all my save games and everthing on my computer.I am going to let Best Buy do it and when they put it in it won't erase anything on my computer right?

24. Invid_Clone

Invid_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Make sure you're installing the memory modules properly on your PC, so that the module clicks firmly on its socket. If you own a "brand PC" (i.e. Compaq/HP or Dell), you should go to any of those companies' websites and do a search on exactly what type of memory fits the computer you currently own. Perhaps the memory BestBuy sold you is not the correct one for your PC, thus the crashes your having right now. You'll probably save yourself the trouble of having to pay BestBuy for such a simple installation.

25. Darth_Simpson

May 7, 2000
    Invid_Clone, I'd definitely build. You can get the exact parts you want, and it's cheaper.

But I'd wait a bit to buy/upgrade a new system. There are a lot of new standards and technology coming up in the next few months that could be very beneficial for years to come, like Serial ATA and GeForce FX.

If you want to upgrade now however, I'd go for at least a AMD XP2400, or if you have a LOT of money to spend, go for the newer P4's, they're great. And at least 512 MB RAM, a high-end GeForce 4 or a Radeon 9700.

I'll post more suggestions later if you want, but I gotta run for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.