main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

** Official ** Upgrade, 3D card, Hardware Tech Questions **

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by jp-30, Oct 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Sheesh that computer's good. I would think you'd have an AGP with that. Maybe look on the paperwork you got with it to be sure.

And PCI-X is better than AGP and not the same as PCI.

You dn't have a PCI-X board.

¤Night

2. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003

Maybe I do have a AGP slot. My computer is a fairly new (2 month old) Sony Vaio. I would think it would have an AGP slot. All I know is my Radeon 9200 is in a PCI slot. I would check but I'm afraid I would mess something up since I'm not the most technically inclined person out there. I really wanted to upgrade my video card but if I can't I will be pretty ticked off.

3. General_BlackLegion

General_BlackLegion Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2004
    Is GeForce 2 MX 400 cards are PCI or AGP? Cause I have this Raedon 9600 something card from a macintosh that is better than my GeForce 2 but it's port might be on a AGP, so I was wondering about that.

4. Whizkid

Sep 11, 2003

Like I said in the thread I made I can't play any PC games online. Whenever I get to the list of servers none show up. Could this have anything to do with the fact I just installed Norton Internet Security?

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    ^ Yep. Your firewall is probably blocking the ports needed for the game servers. You may find some configuration help on the product's website.

6. Whizkid

Sep 11, 2003

I'll check on the website. Thanks

7. Whizkid

Sep 11, 2003

Well, I just got a X800 Pro for my computer. I will probably get Far Cry soon, but I have heard that it won't run smooth on high settings unless you have a gig of ram. All my other specs are high enough. So, does anyone run Far Cry on high settings with 512 mb of ram?

8. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    Well, I just got a X800 Pro for my computer.

Tricky, seeing as it's not out yet, and that's a chipset, not a board. Maybe you mean a 9800 Variation?

¤Night

9. Dragar

Dragar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2002
    I'm looking to upgrade my motherboard and processor and wanted to know if you guys could recommend a few websites where I can look at some bundles.

10. Shackleton

Shackleton Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2004
    Try this site. Pricewatch.com is a great site that compares prices on virtually everything computer related. Here, you'll find good comparisons in motherboards, mobo/CPU combos, and even mobo/CPU/memory combos. The site itself doesn't sell anything. It just compares prices from various websites on computer items. Hope this helps. :)

11. Dragar

Dragar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2002
    Thanks I'll check it out.

12. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    I have had excellent, repeat dealings nwith Directron.com and SVC.com, so you might want to poke around at them.

¤Night

13. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I didn't know we had one of these.

So my computer reboots when I play X-Wing Alliance. Fix it

14. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    ok, i just gotta new pc (sony vaio pcv-rz50c) and i've had trouble reinstalling my games on it.

had problems w/ the sims 2, but i got those solved. i still am having problems w/ kotor though. i installed it, put my saved games in the saves folder, and then started it up and updated it. when i load the game, i get all the opening screens (ebon hawk, lucasarts, bioware, then malak) then when it would go to the screen where you choose new game, load game, etc. i can hear the music that plays in the background, but i just have a black screen. windows has been completely updated and i updated my graphics card driver. anyone have an idea of what's wrong?

15. deadjedi_willbe

deadjedi_willbe Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2003
    I have an older PS2(30001 R), and am wondering how I get to play online.

I see USB plugs in the front, but do I need to get something to put in that Expansion Bay?

Any help is much appreciated. :)

16. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    You need the Network Adapter, it goes in the expansion bay.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ok, let's see if anyone can help with this increasingly annoying issue I've been having with my keyboard.

The PC (only a couple years old- got it to play Galaxies originally) I have has the standard Dell keyboard that came with it connected, and though it generally functions properly, whenever I play a game there is a 10+ second delay between a command being issued (a button pressed, a mouse click, etc) and the related action actually taking place (usually in regards to movement in JA, BF or KOTOR, though it also affects things such as attacks and the like). Windows says the hardware is functioning normally and nothing in the troubleshoot seemed to be of any use.

Shy of getting a new keyboard (which i probably will eventually) anyone have any suggestions?

Ya sit down after 2 years and finally try to play KOTOR again, only to have another rock thrown in your path... ;)

18. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Is the problem only in those games, or does it happen elsewhere, eg. in Windows in general, or in other applications? In a pinch, if it's only the I'd say reinstall DirectX, as perhaps DirectInput has gone all wonky. Failing that, I'd think it's more likely a software problem than hardware...hmmm...

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I've only noticed the problem in game applications. It runs fine in windows, word processing, internet explorer, etc.

I'll give that a shot.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Didn't seem to work, alas. Any other suggestions?

21. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    In that case, it could well be some dodgy or malicious program running in the background interfering with things. First-up, run a full virus and spyware scan. If that seems to have no effect, you'll need to play around, see what it is you've got running in the background, and disable as much as possible. Start by closing all other running programs down in the system tray. Some of the stuff there you won't be able to get rid of, but close everything you can. Try the games again. If they STILL don't work, go Start --> Run and type in 'msconfig'. Select 'Diagnostic startup'. This will reboot Windows and load it into something quite similar to safe mode. Try to run the games now. (It's possible they might not be able to run at all, but it should be okay). See if the problem still exists. If it does, then it's quite probably a hardware problem. If it's software, and it does it after all this, it's either something deep down in windows, or something in the game. If this STOPS the problem, what you now need to do is determine just what it was that was causing it. Fire up msconfig again, and choose Selective Startup. Check the top box and none of the others, and reboot. Try the games. Then run it again, but check the next box as well. Try the games. Rinse and repeat until the problem shows up again. (Ignore the thing down the bottom about modified boot.ini files). It will most likely be 'Load startup items' that causes it to come back, in which case you need to go to the 'Startup' tab, and run through this process again. Uncheck everything, try it. Check the first one, try it. Check the next one, try it. Keep going until you find the source of the problem.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Sounds like fun ;)

Thanks, I'll give that s try.

23. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Heh, yeah, it's a right barrel of laughs. Rinse and repeat. :p

24. Sith_Lords

Sith_Lords Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    so i have around £2000 ($3,500) to spend on a new machine, does anyone have any suggestions?

25. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Depends on what you want. Are we just talking a bitchin' games machine here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.