main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

** Official ** Upgrade, 3D card, Hardware Tech Questions **

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by jp-30, Oct 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
  2. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    do they make IDE to SATA converters?

3. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    So I dug out my old copy of Rebellion the other day. Tried to install on my new Vista running machine. Got the message that says I cannot install Rebellion on the 64-bit machine. What is the most direct way to get the game working on my computer? Should I just uninstall Vista and use my old copy of XP? Is that too dramatic? Is there a good emulator that I should get?

4. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    You could (if your processor supports it) use HyperV and MS Virtual PC to run a virtual session of XP, however I'd probably just get a cheap second hard drive and put your copy of XP on that. I'm sure something like a 80 gig hard drive would do you plenty for XP use.

Yep, I'm in the UK but a chain store here has them available for about £20. If it's not your primary HDD, you could put it in an external enclosure that connects via USB? These are cheaper than a converter.

5. -polymath-

Jun 7, 2007
    Something like an external Hard Drive? I'm a tech n00b. Thanks for the advice and assistance.

6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Nope, an internal hard drive would be recommended. The USB connection would be really bad for your OS to run from.

I'd just Google the problem first, this is a common thing and there may be a fix.

7. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    QFT, USB connection wouldn't be good. I'd be surprised if there isn't a fix already, in fact my first Google result gave me this. Seems like a little tinkering is necessary but with a dedicated forum here and there I'm sure you'll get the result you need.

Did you have a laptop or desktop PC? If you have a laptop then you'd need to either remove Vista to put XP on the same hard disk, or get a second disk & put XP on it, then swap out the hard disk out each time you wanted to use a different operating system (bit of a pain!).

If you have a desktop/tower PC then there should be plenty of space for a second hard disk inside the case. This would be relatively inexpensive to do but only do it if you need to.

8. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    How would I connect it via USB? All it has is an IDE plug

9. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    Sorry I should have been more specific, put it in an enclosure that connects to your pc via usb.

Something like this icy box here.

Plug the drive into the enclosure (which has an IDE connector inside it), then usb from the enclosure to your computer.

If that hard drive is the drive with your OS installed on it then I would probably go for the connector, if necessary, as the USB enclosure won't be quick enough.

10. -polymath-

Jun 7, 2007
    I saw that post after googling the situation. Needless to say, I am daunted by the task it presents to me. I am not tech savvy enough to get that done, I fear.

11. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    If you have msn messenger I could go through this with you on the weekend? Messenger has a 'Remote Assistance' feature so that I can see your screen, do the bits you're unsure of?

12. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    EDIT - Nm.

13. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Thanks for the info. I'm computer savvy but missed a few years, but that makes sense. It wouldnt be an OS hard drive, just an extra I have and I need extra storage

14. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    That'll do the job nicely then :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.