JCC OFFICIAL - US Elections pre-primary thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by GrandAdmiralJello, Aug 15, 2011.

1. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Alright, since we seem to have an individual thread for several different crazy candidates, let's consolidate into one official thread and cut down on the clutter.
  2. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    To reiterate, the purpose of this thread is to combine those who are competing for the opportunity to lose to our President.

Like this: [image=http://images.politico.com/global//blogs/110815_bachmanntpaweyes.jpg]
  3. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
    Yes, the front page of the JCC goes all the way back to 9 am on Saturday morning. Oh my heavens do we need to reduce the clutter.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    We could have darth_boy make a few threads if it makes you feel better, Dani.
  5. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Reduce the clutter Jello, not increase it :p
  6. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
  7. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    The bottom thread on page 1 I can see is 9am this morning, not saturday. Either way it doesn't warrent enouraging d_b to make more generally pointless topics anymore than it does to talk about arlon when he's gone.

Anyway, the thread is for discussing the right-wing nutjobs who want to try and depose Obama. At this rate it looks like he doesn't even have to bother campaigning since the other side is winning the election for him.
  8. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    He was being sarcastic to make a point that quantity=/=quality.
  9. tom Chosen One

star 6
    darth_boy has to start his max number of threads to fulfill his self-imposed "do 3 horrible things a day" rule. and i would lol at being set at 25 tpp, but i suppose it doesn't really matter anymore.
  10. Bacon164 Force Ghost

star 7
    are you really that thick.
  11. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    Bring it on, I'll be watching.
  12. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    One thread to contain all the craziness is good, it's much easier to have one thread in keeping track of everything, especially since candidates and new developments will start crossing over soon.

The Republican candidates:

Perry
    Romney

Bachmann
    Huntsman

Paul
    Cain

Santorum
    Gingrich

Who will be the nominee?

Who is most likely to beat Obama?

Here's a good article on how a Perry v Obama showdown could be the biggest battle in the "culture wars" that we have seen yet, an election where both sides are motivated by their disgust with the other:

Rick Perry: Red-State Warrior

Rick Perry and Barack Obama disagree about policy. But as Michael Tomasky argues, a race between them would end up as the biggest battle yet in the culture war.

So in comes Rick Perry. He will surely be an instant co-frontrunner along with Mitt Romney. In fact I would argue, and will one paragraph down, that he?s basically the instant frontrunner. So for the sake of argument, let?s go ahead and think about a Perry-Obama race. Such a race would be about, yes, the economy first and foremost, and deficits and health care and all the rest. But an Obama-Perry race would be something else, too: a war between the two Americas, each side represented by its respective cultural standard-bearer, each side?s foot soldiers absolutely smoldering with contempt for everything the other guy stands for and indeed the way he looks. We?ve never quite had that before, not in this way, so it?s worth thinking about.

First, I think Perry becomes the frontrunner, even ahead of Mitt Romney, for three main reasons. No. 1, he fires up large chunks of the base in a way Romney does not. Romney has ?default candidate? written all over him, but evangelicals and other hard-shell conservatives are never going to love a Massachusetts Mormon. They?ll love Perry. No. 2, Perry can quickly become the ?establishment? candidate because the establishment of today?s GOP is not based on Wall Street or the heartland but in Texas?Karl Rove, the oilmen, the various billionaires who prime those GOP pumps. No. 3 is speculation rather than fact, but I believe Perry will demonstrate pretty quickly that he?s a better campaigner than Romney. It won?t be hard.

It will take some time, probably, for the polls to reflect all this, but they will. Republicans don?t want a posh, well-spoken Yankee who works at a place with a name like Bain Capital. In their deepest souls, they want a Texas governor. They want a ****-kicker. And here, we circle back to culture.

When my friends and I looked at George W. Bush in 1999, we shuddered like people who?d turned a street corner and stumbled across a dog?s corpse. We knew and had contempt for his beliefs, but it had nothing to do with them, really. It was just the way he presented himself. That puffed-out chest. That self-satisfied smirk. All that Jesus talk?even in the event that it was sincere, which we never quite bought, it was to a liberal deeply inappropriate to haul it into the public square like that. He represented Southern country clubs and Dodge Durangos and Browning bolt-actions and homes with no books in them (putting Laura to the side, since she wasn?t the candidate). He was the kind of man who, if I ran into him at a hospitality tent at a tailgate party, I?d make an effort to avoid. Liberals just couldn?t stand the sight of the guy. And that was before he ruined the country.

I understand that conservatives feel similarly about Obama. They look at him and see wine-and-cheese parties where people have jazz playing in the background and where talk turns to the merits and demerits of Jonathan Franzen, who drive Priuses (or is it Prii?) and buy espresso machines and live in homes with far too many books in them. And worse than that: for much of Red America, Dr. Frankenstein himself could not have stitched together a more perfect Other: urban, urbane, sophisticated, intellectual. ?Black,? of course, may no longer be a deal breaker in this day and age, but it doesn?t help
  13. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    1. Worst opening post ever.

2. We always do an official election thread eventually. The others were fine until then.

3. This messageboard has not been "cluttered" in years.

4. I suggest this be locked and you can either remake with a better attempt or else recruit the likes of Wocky or Souderwan. I mean really, this is just a terrible start.

14. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    The term is relative, not absolute. We don't need a thread for each candidate each time one of them does something silly.
  15. tom Chosen One

star 6
    [image=http://i.imgur.com/Ptw8H.jpg]
  16. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    Sieg heil!

Sorry guys, couldn't resist.
  17. tom Chosen One

star 6
    s'ok it was kinda already there in the subtext.
  18. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
    it was just too subtle, tom
  19. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    While I'm honored by the name drop, I tend to make pretty terrible OPs. Nor, more relatively, do I ever pay them much attention in big issue threads like this one anyway. I think this will serve the purpose of discussion well, and make it easier to cross-reference different candidates besides. Give this thread a chance, eh?
  20. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    On Ms. Bachmann's theory that we need to go back to the dollar of 1911, perhaps she is thinking of the gold standard, when a dollar was worth 1/35th of an ounce of gold. Well, guess what, kiddies! The president who took us off the gold standard was none other than that same Richard Nixon (Fondly referred to by folks of my generation as King Richard the 1st) who was forced to resign. And who was also a Republican.
  21. Alpha-Red Force Ghost

star 5
    Just watch, in a few years they'll probably be claiming that Nixon was a Democrat. You know, with all that "going to China" stuff, he was obviously a secret Communist.

On another note, is Rick Perry as Christian as he thinks he is?
  22. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Richard Nixon was more liberal than any president we've had since.
  23. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    At this point, I can't see myself not voting for Obama in 2012. Any (it's bound to happen) good points brought up by any of these GOP candidates will be outweighed by either their craziness or lack of political fortitude.

Viva Los Angeles![face_flag]
  24. MasterDillon Jedi Master

star 2
    Right, and while these candadites are slugging it out Obama is on his bus tour campaigning, Biden is on a trip to China which will just accomplish nothing, and Congress is on recess while the country burns.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10