main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC OFFICIAL - US Elections pre-primary thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Aug 15, 2011.

1. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    This is what happens when you have a threesome with the Christian Right and the John Birch society.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Instead of debates, I say we give them all lie detector tests. At least until some pharmaceutical company makes a RL version of the truth serum from the Harry Potter books.

The average IQ in the Charlotte area declined by 20 points today. Bachmann paid us a visit. And seemed to think she was in South Carolina. No, honey, you were about 10-15 miles from the state line. We're a bit bluer here.

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Really? that's hilarious [face_laugh]

4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeppers

"We intend to make this our home," she told the Observer. "South Carolina is an extremely important state."

She had been in South Carolina, but she was in Charlotte when she said that.

I really hope her "coming back time and time again" refers to South Carolina though.

5. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    That quote fascinates me because Perry implies that he believes monetary policy would work to help the economy, but still doesn't want Bernanke to do it.

6. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Insert face_banging head on desk.

Oh, my gosh! And this woman is running 'to be president in 2012,' not 'running for president in 2012.'

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Perry today: the Theory of Evolution is wrong and global warming is a bunch of lies. "In Texas we teach both ToE and Creationism" which is another way of saying "We teach that ToE is nonsense and Creationism is the way. And he actually said that on a daily basis global warming is debunked.

8. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    Funny thing is Huntsman said the opposite today about evolution and global warming.....yet he is seen as the crazy one.[face_tired]

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    CNN showed footage of Bachmann--while she was in Charlotte--saying that she wanted to "lock the doors" on the EPA, that the EPA was a "job killer."

Damn those gov'mint environmentalists, they won't let me tear up the planet like I want to.

As far as Perry, he must not have spent too much time in his home state this summer if he thinks global warming isn't real.

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    You guys are mischaracterizing Perry's comments. I don't think that's fair or justifiable.

What he actually said about global warming is that he thinks every single scientist involved is forging data as part of a giant fraud to win grant money. All of them. In every single experiment they have ever done. At all.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Ah, gotta love conspiracy theorists. That's actually worse than believing it's a hoax in order to induce hysteria and therefore, demand for more environmental regulations.

Which might have been your point.

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Jon Huntsman today:
    "To be clear. I believe in evolution and trust scientists on global warming. Call me crazy."

No wonder he's doing so poorly so far when compared to Perry, Bachmann, Santorum, and the rest.

13. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    I don't believe in the theory of gravity. I teach my children the Biblical based theory of Intelligent Falling.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Need a "like" button for that one.

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    He still raised his hand with the rest of them when asked if he would refuse a debt ceiling deal that favored tax cuts over revenues 10 to 1, so let's not give him too much credit.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    True, but I doubt if he was actually President that he wouldn't compromise, if the Democrats forced him to. Huntsman also asserted his support for civil unions. I'm not voting for him over Obama, but he's actually sane, and I'd be comfortable the most with him as President over all these other guys.

17. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I never even heard of that. I was referring more to the usages of violent imagery to portray political actions. All the "they're terrorists" and "holding a gun to people's heads" and what not.

I think there's a fairly decent link between unamerican and unconstitutional in some regards, this being one of them. I strongly oppose sacrificing principles for short term perceived and unguaranteed gains.

18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    So you're referring to the leaked contents of a private call between Joe Biden and other lawmakers at point in the conversation was venting their frustrations? Because that's at all comparable to launching a major media campaign for public consumption featuring such rhetoric?

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    When did Obama call any Reoublican a terrorist?

When Biden met with Congressional Democrats, there's a report that someone yelled at they're holding the country hostage as economic terrorists, but it didn't seem to be Biden himself and it definitely wasn't Obama.

Not sure where the "holding gun to the head" line comes from either...

20. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    The terrorism thing was cropping up, not Obama himself. I should've been more clear, it's been a long sleep-deprived day.

The Obama quote was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMol7h2CRmA

Mind, I don't object to the large portion of rhetoric that may have violent/military connotations and think that was overblown concern from the get go. The, imo, pointless call to false civility has been annoying, and I don't think we should be nerfing the power of language.

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I wish Obama would forcefully say something like this FDR quote, it could almost be said today:

"For nearly four years you have had an Administration which instead of twirling its thumbs has rolled up its sleeves. We will keep our sleeves rolled up.

We had to struggle with the old enemies of peace ? business and financial monopoly, speculation, reckless banking, class antagonism, sectionalism, war profiteering.

They had begun to consider the Government of the United States as a mere appendage to their own affairs. We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob.

Never before in all our history have these forces been so united against one candidate as they stand today. They are unanimous in their hate for me ? and I welcome their hatred.

I should like to have it said of my first Administration that in it the forces of selfishness and of lust for power met their match. I should like to have it said of my second Administration that in it these forces met their master."

People united behind Roosevelt because he was a Fighter, unafraid of direct confrontation. That's why his legacy lives on today.

Everyone remembers Kennedy making Nixon sweat during the first televised national debate. Why was Nixon sweating? Because Kennedy was reminding people that it was Democrats who fought for Social Security, with Republicans fighting against it all the way. Kennedy was fighting to create Medicare then, and showing the audience that Nixon and the Republicans were standing on the wrong side again.

22. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    1. I'm frankly not very convinced that's similar at all. Yes, it falls under the broad category of martial metaphors. But he's using it to describe a negotiating tactic over a policy about an abstract statutory limit. The comments that were criticized in around the time of the Giffords shooting was violent rhetoric directed against actual people and things. For instance, Sharron Angle's "second amendment remedies." There's a pretty clear qualitative difference between the two.

2. In particular, this came up in this thread because Rick Perry made comments that, as most people read them, endorse lynching Ben Bernanke. Would you call refraining from this sort of commentary "false civility?" Do you really think it's comparable to anything Obama has said?

23. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    I thought Nixon was sweating because he just got out of the hospital and then proceed to refuse makeup.:p

24. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    He was.

But the "reason" Ghost is citing is why people on TV thought he lost.

25. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Well, the Obama quote I'm more reminded of, in that sense, was "If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun". Although, that's prior to the speech. All in all, I think there's a difference between rhetoric and orders/statements, and as far as rhetoric, my stance has always been that it comes down to if it's directly and explicitly ordering things or not. It's why I don't like people that blame movies/music/video games for people deciding to commit crimes.

The quote by Perry doesn't seem unusually bad, either. Or well, are you arguing it specifically over the phrase about treating him pretty ugly, or the tie to that because he also mentions treason, he wants to lynch Bernanke rather than try him for treason? Not rhetoric that appeals to me as its sensationalist still, but not tremendously violent.