main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Official "What's the Story?" Hyperspace Databank Feature Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by clonewarseu, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clonewarseu

clonewarseu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2003
    StarWars.com is providing fanboys with the opportunity to do what they've alwaysw wanted to do: write Star Wars stories their way.

What's the story?

Basicially how it works is you submit your idea for the backstory of a character that desn't have one already and it might make it's way into the sw.com databank.

Cool, huh?

2. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    [Jar Jar] This is gonna be messy! [/Jar Jar]

3. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    "I have a bad feeling about this"

4. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Oh, wonderful. They've just thrown continuity to the dogs. Seeing Palpy, Maul, Yoda, and the others assigned backstory that is really just best left blank is going to be chaotic, especially if SuperShadow crap gets into the system.

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    It's not a free-for-all. They are apparently going to review each one and double-check things against continuity. Then out of the ones that fit they pick the best. I think that this is really cool and gives us fans a chance to make our own official mark on the EU. I bet people who write fan fics are just salivating at this opportunity.

They're not gonna give any important characters to us I'm sure. Lucas won't even let real authors tackle Yoda. Why would he let some fanboy? Look at who the first person is. John Knoll's opera character. I'd be surprised if they even throw out a character with a name already given. I have faith that LFL knows what their doing.

6. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Agreed. I think this is going to be fun! :)

TC

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    This seems great- depending on how frequent it is, it could help fill the void left by Decipher's CCG and allow the prequels to get fleshed out better.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If and when the "final" version is posted, those who have submitted entries should post them here so we can compare them.

Me, I'm rather proud of the acomplishments I've come up with for "Jon'ka Dobé" ;)

9. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Ditto for the evil deeds of "Lonk Nohj"... ;)

TC

10. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Hoj L'lonk sounds like he's going to be very boring in comparison. :p I ran past the word limit and had to cut all the really juicy stuff. :(

11. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    "Noel Jhani" in my case, in a tale of crime and hubris. I had to cut out some stuff too, but mostly wordiness and extraneous detail.

It would be amusing to submit a "normal" backstory: "_____ _____ was a wealthy businessman on Coruscant. One day he decided to go see an opera. He rather liked it."

12. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Anyone work in said opera goer's "relative" who died in the Battle of Naboo? ;)

13. -Ambu_Fett-

-Ambu_Fett- Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2003
    I don't really like the idea. If that's what the new HS is going to look like, then I might cancel my membership.

But before we can really judge this feature we'll have to wait and see what the first entries are going to look like.

14. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    My 'Jono Noll' is part of the team responsible for the visual effects of Squid Lake. Yeah, predictable, I'm sure, but hey-ho.

Ah, I forgot about Knoll's other SW cameo. The Bravo pilot in TPM is called Rya Ksirch or something similar. Dunno if anyone wants to relate the two somehow.

Well, this feature looks like fun anyway. And no, they definately won't be letting us muck around with Yoda's backstory or anything. I guess we'll be getting a few Galaxies patrons, perhaps a few unknown Senators (perhaps that red-faced Sidious-concept guy?) and possibly Utapauns or Wookiees or something. And hopefully it won't just be limited to characters; perhaps we could create a profile for Tellenroag, that lost Clone Wars world, or give some tech specs for the Felucia cargo walker or Mygeeto hovertank...

15. Tam_Elgrin

May 1, 2004
    >>"And hopefully it won't just be limited to characters; perhaps we could create a profile for Tellenroag, that lost Clone Wars world, or give some tech specs for the Felucia cargo walker or Mygeeto hovertank..."<<

Apparantly it'll cover "characters, creatures, locations, vehicles, and more seen in the Star Wars films", so Tellenroag looks grim.

16. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Anyone work in said opera goer's "relative" who died in the Battle of Naboo?

I haven't written one yet, but that did occur to me. I'll definitely work it in if I do write one.

I've been wondering just how far we could go with these, as far as tying in other characters or events. I mean, I know we can submit whatever we want, but would something big ever get posted, like this guy being a relative of a major EU (or even film) character?

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hmm, I didn't think to make a connection to his Naboo "brother".

I was actually surprised I came 200 words under the limit- I didn't have to cut anything out. With references to the Daragons, Metellos, Neuro-Saav, Mantan and the Corporate Sector, I thought something would have to go ;)

18. Tam_Elgrin

May 1, 2004
    Mine got a good lump of Clone Wars Volume 1 references stripped out, namely the Battle of Ilum, and some stuff about lightsaber crystals.

It sounds really bad when I put it like that, doesn't it. :p

19. Kwenn

Mar 30, 2001
    "Apparantly it'll cover "characters, creatures, locations, vehicles, and more seen in the Star Wars films", so Tellenroag looks grim."

Just from the films? Aw, nuts. Well, hopefully if this feature is a success, the OS might expand it to the EU. Perhaps we could even help create a character slated to appear in some future novel? C'mon, Hyperspace! Please? :D

20. Durnar

Durnar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2004
    I want to write the bio for Durnar on the OS. Hey, I survived almost 3 years of the Clone Wars, I deserve a bio. :p

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, John Knoll's character survived all of the Clone Wars, so he comes first ;)

22. Durnar

Durnar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2004
    Yeah, but I dont want my bio up for public writing. Its mine, all mine. MWAHAHAHAHA

23. Kwenn

Mar 30, 2001
    Who wants to bet that a future What's the Story update will feature Janu 'Pablo' Godhali?

24. Tam_Elgrin

May 1, 2004
    >>"Well, John Knoll's character survived all of the Clone Wars, so he comes first"<<

No, there goes my bio in which he hatched from an egg during the Opera scene! :(

25. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    This lookas a lot more well organized and tamed then it first sounded. I'm glad to see that everything will be double checked, and also, that they will decide who and what gets bios, and it'll be stuff so minor that they don't even get a mention in any piece of literature :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.