main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Official "What's the Story?" Hyperspace Databank Feature Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by clonewarseu, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nieber-Gon-Jinn

Nieber-Gon-Jinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2006
    I'm stumped on Malar. I really hope I come up with something though... and soon.
    JN

2. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    where is Bane M in the movie? I thought he was a Decipher creation based of Doallyn or something

3. Sompeetalay

Sompeetalay Jedi Master star 2

Dec 17, 1999
    I have never been able to discover him. He's one of those who have never been discovered on screen like Attark or Rock Wart.

4. Sompeetalay

Dec 17, 1999
    Finished another Malar story. I'm so dissapointed this time with the character limit :( I could write 3000 characters with this story ... I had to skip a lot of interesting stuff in order to complete the story :(

5. yodas_waiter

yodas_waiter Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Tell me about it. I had to cut some real good stuff I had planned for this character.

Still got some trimming to do actually...

6. Sompeetalay

Dec 17, 1999
    Story 1 has been submitted. This is the story that stays close to some events witnessed in the movie.

7. Sompeetalay

Dec 17, 1999
    Story 2 is away. This one contains a lot of new information including a new species and homeplanet for Malar.

8. yodas_waiter

Oct 31, 2006
    Submitted my Malar entry yesterday. It turned out alright but this was one character that would've benefited from a higher character count.

Kind of a bittersweet moment too, if this turns out to be the last character of WTS. A part of me is still holding out for an update come January.

9. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    "And now..the end is near...so we face the final curtian"

Or so we think but all not hope. I have submitted my entry few days ago. I have read YW entry wich is great to be honest and I dare to say that my own entry is quite something in the originality department...so atleast we can go out with a bang if this is the last one.

10. Imperial_Commandant

Imperial_Commandant Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2005
    And mine is away! Another return to WTS after a long break. I had fun with this guy!

11. Sompeetalay

Dec 17, 1999
    Third story [face_blush] is away! I wanted to enjoy the last (is it?) WTS so I made a little effort.

12. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    OK... waiting to see when we'll get another update. I suppose the holidays set things back a bit.

After not submitting an entry for the last few, I did do one for Malar shortly after he popped up. I was trying to come up with an interesting obscure alien he could be; one we've seen wearing some kind of protective helmet or mask. The alien I settled on was definitely obscure, but that race's small amount of background info kind of suggested the angle of Malar's story. I guess I'll wait to reveal the alien race until after I see if mine's chosen... :)

Though, I'll admit that his possible psychic ability was an afterthought that I forgot to add until after I filled the character limit!

13. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    Woo! I just rememembered! Tonight's the first Friday of the month! I'm excited to see who the winner will be, but I admit I'm MORE excited to see if we'll have another character to contribute to [face_praying]

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I submitted one this time... I haven't done one in a while since I haven't had much time, but at the last minute I was suddenly struck with a moment of inspiration.

Aside from my initial Cal Omas retcon. Of course.

Agreed -- maybe they'll "forget" the fact that they said they'd get rid of WTS a few months ago... [face_whistling]

15. Sompeetalay

Dec 17, 1999
    Or maybe they've just forgotten about WTS all the way and we won't know for a long time who Bane Malar really is ...

16. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Unless my calculations are totally stir-fried, looks like we're not getting a new character this week...

[face_worried]

EDIT: OK...What's the Story has died. I'm guessing we'll get Malar along with the AOTC round. Which makes no sense at all...

17. HedecGa

Apr 19, 2006
    Or ever again...

Well, folks, according to the submission page, What's the Story is officially closed and all we get is a "check back later for a databank update"...

RIP WTS...:_|

Like everyone else here, I'm really torn up by this, but I'll try to remember, not what we lost, but what we gained by WTS. We, the fans, for one shining moment in Star Wars history were able to contribute to the EU. Absolutely beautiful and I'll always look back on the experience fondly.

Now that it's gone, though, I guess there's no reason for this thread anymore. I'll miss you guys. You did some excellent work and I was glad to be a part of the WTS family.

Bravo, everyone =D=

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Well, it's kinda cliched and all, but I can't think to sum up my feelings in any other way than this.

19. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Well, I suppose we can still use this thread to post our stories and discuss the yet-to-be-released final entries.

Since it didn't look like I was going to win at any stage (I have since been thankfully proven wrong), I decided to contribute to WTS in my own way, and that was by getting the respective Wookieepedia articles up to either Featured or Good Article status, as content allows (basically, get them as complete as possible)

It's still a work in progress, but these are the one's I've been able to do:

Featured Articles

Tannon Praji
    Rango Tel
    Janu Godalhi
    Unstable Terrain Artillery Transport
    Romeo Treblanc
    Yavid
    Leektar
    Barrow Oicunn
    Olana Chion
    Wol Cabas****e

Good Articles

Magaloof
    Swilla Corey
    Grizz Frix
    Kalyn Farnmir
    Pax Bonkik
    Narglatch XJ-2 airspeeder
    Melee
    Acros-Krik
    Diva Shaliqua
    Tzizvvt
    E-3PO (promotion pending)

It's been a pleasure to read through these WTS entries and extract information from them. In fact, in some cases, notably the Featured Articles, the articles are actually more comprehensive than the Databank entry. o_O

Anyway, here are my Malar entries:

1st entry

One of the most ancient and prestigious fighting forces in the galaxy, the Ailon Nova Guard was an organization mentioned only by the most foolhardy. Lethal, fantatical, and exceptionally dangerous, they served the Galactic Republic, and the Empire that succeeded it, faithfully.

But whereas the Republic had been a largely multicultural establishment, there were elements of the Empire that were not as willing to accept the aid of the largely alien Nova Guard. Lord Greejatus, head of the Imperial Department of Redesign, arranged to have the Nova Guard sent on suicide missions, thereby thinning the Ailon ranks of the organization. Tiring of this slow method of elimination, he sent his agent, 4-8C, to wipe out the upper echelons of Nova Guard High Command. Only one Ailon escaped the Massacre of Nova Guard Headquarters: Bane Malar.

The Nova Guard still existed, but its ranks were being slowly filled with Humans, rather than the traditional Ailon. Disgusted with the reform and fearful of reprisal from the assassins, Malar donned a set of modified Nova Guard armor, and became a bounty hunter. Not knowing that the Empire was the arbiter of the massacre, he accepted jobs from them, eventually being hired by Kessel warden Kluskine to hunt down the odd escapee of the mines. Later, he accepted a bounty from Eugene Talmont to assassinate Jabba the Hutt, but the murder would eventually be carried out by Leia Organa.

Despite several failures, he was able to make a name for himself in the bounty hunting community. In time, he became a high-profile and expensive hunter, often employed by wealthy industrialists and influential senators. The New Republic never paid as well as the Empire, but

20. Sompeetalay

Dec 17, 1999
    Just as I feared it would be ... No Bane Malar either. I'm just dissapointed by the lack of continuity lately on SW.com. No Visual Guides, WTS that became less and less important (we're stil waiting for the 'AotC' update). Today, there is an article about Super Weapons but what's the context of that article? I'd rather see one single page of the next chapter of the Visual Guides instead.

WTS has been the best idea ever to appear on hyperspace. This is something unique we've been able to achieve as fans. I don't know if this has been done with other franchises as well but nevertheless it's wonderful that we are now 'part of the tribe'. I just wish this idea could be turned into something else, even on a smaller scale like giving a name to something in a Visual Guide chapter.

WTS also gave a lot of new names to characters and ships in the movie that were previously unnamed. A lot of Decipher characters also received a more extensive background. Now that WTS has gone and the Visual Guides don't seem to appear as a regular feature, I'm fearing it'll be a lot harder to find new names for characters and ships from the movies. I'm very dissapointed by that because source has always been my main interest in Star Wars.

21. yodas_waiter

Oct 31, 2006
    So this is it, the end of all things. On hand, I'm sad to see it go, on the other, it feels kind of good for some reason. I happy that I got my entry in during the last gasp of WTS. I've achieved what I set out to do (except naming a character, but oh well).

Thanks for all the support, help and discussions, guys. It's been a real pleasure. Now we just have to see if any of us got lucky in the last round. :D

And here it is, my final WTS entry:

Bane Malar was one of the true oddities of the bounty hunting profession and not much was known about him. Wherever he went, hushed voices would discuss the different rumours of his past.

In fact, his past was just peculiar as many imagined it. Born on Alpheridies, he was discovered by chance as a baby by a group of Jedi visiting the planet. He was taken away from his family and was trained at the Jedi Temple, but when he reached the age of apprenticeship, he was not chosen and joined the Temple Exploration Corps instead. Malar wanted to escape from the assignment but the Clone Wars forced him to stay on Mycroft with the Intergalactic Zoological Society until the rise of the New Order offered Malar a chance to slip away and start a new life.

He found a job working as a Kessel Operative, helping the Empire stop prisoners from escaping whilst secretly selling bootlegged spice and drinks to the garrisons for a healthy profit. Aided by the Force-sight that came natural to his species, the Miraluka, Malar could ?see? prisoners planning their escape, catching them easily later on. His 100% record interested the Prison Warden who intended to report Malar to Coruscant. However, Malar saw this coming and escaped without a trace.

But life as a freelance mercenary was difficult. His unusual success was always met with scepticism and he would only become an infrequent guest at the courts of various crime lords. He reasoned that the only way to make his mark in the underworld was to kill a crime lord. His intended victim was Jabba the Hutt and being able to see the treachery of other guests, Malar believed himself to be at an advantage. But Malar had to put his plans on hold with the arrival of Luke Skywalker. The young man?s claim of being a Jedi intrigued Malar and he was impressed by the subsequent display of power. Wanting to see the fate of the Jedi, Malar joined the execution party but this turned out to be his undoing as he was killed when the Khetanna blew up.

22. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    And so it ends... I will really miss the WTS. I came in late in the game with the entry of Denise Ream (who will became known as Onara Kuat) but was quickly welcomed here and made some new friends with whom I hope to keep in contact with. Anyway it was a long time before I finally won with Niai Fieso. But I loved every minute of it.

Four Dot: It seems you have quite a job ahead of you by making them all Wookieepedia right. I assume Niai is also one next to be updated? I dont have the time for it myself and to be honest it always pained me to see most entries fully written out and mine not. Anyway no rush with it :).

To the entries posted already: Great entries of you all.

Here is mine:

It was on a calm night that the planet Endor saw noisy visitors. A group of hunters led by Bane Malar, the spoiled prince of Soun IV, had come to hunt for Gorax. That same night a Gupin named Lin Grem was walking through the forest. He stumbled upon on the group and wanting to scare them away, he changed into what the group was thinking about: a Gorax. The hunters quickly over won their fear and stunned the charging Gorax. To their amazement it changed into a Gupin in front of their eyes. Bane claimed Lin for himself.

Back on Soun IV Bane treated the Gupin as a pet even after it became clear that Lin was a sentient being. Lin had to perform for the prince?s amusement by changing into whatever the prince was thinking about. Growing sick and tired of this Lin hatched a plan to get out of there. Realizing that his telepathic abilities might be the answer, he started to experiment with them. He found out that he, unlike other Gupins, was able to not only read minds to shapeshift but could also plant thoughts in other beings minds as well. This made him able to change into whatever he wanted. When Bane came to feed him Lin changed into a Nexu and killed the prince. Lin then raided the royal treasury and escaped off-planet.

Cruising around the galaxy, Lin caused all sort of mischief and malice wherever he went by playing with people?s minds and perceptions. He had the most fun by pretending to be a helmeted and black-clad bounty hunter that he named Bane Malar to spite at his former captor. It was in this disguise that Lin went to Kessel and was later hired by Fozec. The lazy Imperial hired ?Bane? to kill Jabba the Hutt for him. In Jabba?s palace Lin?s tricks of causing mischief didn?t work and the horrors there taught him humility. Lin went back to Endor where he lived a malice-free life. He shapeshifted only one more time: in a performance with the Travelling Jindas at the wedding of Wicket and Kneesa.

23. HedecGa

Apr 19, 2006
    Here's my entry for Bane. I think it's fitting that this was the last entry for me as I tried to bring back Rango Tel and the little arc from the Rango Tel/Dusty Duck stories. Hey, it was my last shot, I had to try and give it a brighter ending :D

In a dusty back alley on Tatooine, fledgling bounty hunter Rango Tel was struck down. Tel died that day.

Bane Malar was born.

Severely wounded from a blaster hit, Tel managed to survive his encounter with Kam Nale and limped back to his ship, the Dusty Duck. There, he discovered that his companion and pilot, Aneesa Dym, lay in two, murdered in her own cockpit.

After burying his friend, Tel realized his foolhardy fantasies had cost him everything. From that point forward, the young man devoted his life to studying the fringe element, while remaining on Tatooine aboard the Dusty Duck, for he didn?t know how to fly the jalopy off-world. He spent his time in the seediest cantinas on Tatooine, secretly gleaning information from the scum that frequented there.

As the Empire rose to power, Tel re-entered the bounty hunting world a new man. Equipped with a sturdy suit and going by the alias of Bane Malar, he began collecting local bounties, utilizing the wealth of information he had acquired undercover. He knew the inner workings of the Tatooine underbelly so well that rumors claimed Bane was telepathic. Before long he accrued a small fortune, hording it inside his landlocked ship.

Decades passed and as excitement gave way to experience, Bane built a good reputation for himself. His old life resurfaced when he learned that Kam Nale took his place as head of the Nale crime family after losing everything following the dissolution of Podracing. In a business venture with Jabba the Hutt, Kam enjoyed the Hutt?s protection while tithing a portion of his earnings.

Posing as one of Jabba?s agents, Bane arranged a meeting with Kam in the same Mos Espa alley where the two first faced years ago. In a moment of sweet revenge, Bane opened fire, killing the aging crime lord.

Bane continued to work on Tatooine into his old, old age, where he passed away aboard the Dusty Duck at the height of his success, a holopic of Aneesa on display, and a smile on his face.

24. Sompeetalay

Dec 17, 1999
    I like this story but I fear it won't be chosen because it is after all Rango Tel :)

25. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Ah, I'm afraid Fieso is a fair way off yet in the grand scheme of it, as I'm going through them chronologically. But it will get done eventually, I assure you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.