Official "What's the Story?" Hyperspace Databank Feature Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by clonewarseu, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exar_Xan Force Ghost

star 6
    Well if nothing I learned patience in the last few years so its ok. Thanks already anyway :).
  2. Sompeetalay Force Ghost

star 2
    In my first story I followed a logical path by making Malar a real Bounty Hunter. I also gave the Stacchati a 'face'.

Lurking lonely in the alcoves of Jabba's Palace, the enigmatic Bane Malar seemed to have no acquaintance in this criminal haven. Few residents of the Palace knew that Malar was a Bounty Hunter who was hired by Jabba from time to time. Malar's record with the House of Benelex was outstanding and as a veteran of the Mavvan conflict, Malar possessed the necessary combat experience. When Jabba was satisfied with Malar's results during his first missions, he was invited to return to the Palace. But behind his dark facade, Bane Malar was plotting to kill Jabba.

As a Stacchati hailing from the icy moon of Stacchat in the Cronese Mandate, Malar used his Corellian HuntSuit to hide his true Stacchati origins. Rumours about his telepathy were the result of amplified auditory sensors in his blast helmet to help his ailing Stacchati hearing capabilities. His trusty A-295 and 434 Blasters never left his side.

Malar had originally been hired on Keyorin by Gurumba Faljozic Syrga to plot the death of Jabba so the Faljozic Kajidic could regain their influence on Tatooine. Malar already discovered an intricate web of plots and conspiracies at Jabba's Palace so he couldn't trust anyone to complete his mission.

During one of his stops at the Palace, Malar finally encountered his new partner in crime. The overstressed Communication Droid CZ-4 fit the profile perfectly because of the Stacchati's natural familiarity with CZ Droids. Malar made sure CZ-4 broke down so he was brought to the Droid pool. One night, Malar saw Boushh sneaking his way to the Throne Room when he himself ventured to the dungeons and brought CZ-4 back to life as an Espionage Droid with a Thermal Detonator hidden behind his chestplates.

When the trip to the Pit of Carkoon was arranged, Malar made sure he nor CZ-4 were chosen for the journey. Jabba's absence seemed a perfect opportunity to install the Detonator near the Sakiyan spit behind his throne. The explosion would make one exquisite banquet indeed.

3. Exar_Xan Force Ghost

star 6
    I just read the entries that some of us has posted and it sure seems I am not the only one with an unorthodox entry. I really like that.
  4. HedecGa Force Ghost

star 4
    Anyone think they might have the final WTS databank update tonight? [face_praying]
  5. yodas_waiter Jedi Knight

star 3
    That's what I'm hoping for :)
  6. Sompeetalay Force Ghost

star 2
    Malar # 2
    ?Whenever Bane Malar visited the palace, he was plotting to kill Jabba by using his telepathic powers!? And if the drunkard Ree-Yees didn?t tell you this particular tale, he?d probably remember another load of Mynock muffins. After Jabba?s death, more information regarding the enigmatic Bane Malar was finally discovered in the Hutt?s data tapes. This is probably the closest somebody will ever get to reconstruct Malar?s past.

Bane Malar was a member of the rarely encountered and nearly extinct Aggellom species hailing from the planet Aggellox in the Si?Klaata Cluster. The Third Battle of Vontor was believed to have been a complete Huttese victory. However, Huttese historiography didn?t reveal Xim the Despot?s last desperate attack during the conflict that nearly destroyed Aggellox and almost wiped out the entire population of the Aggellom who served the Hutts.

When their kin was destroyed, the surviving Aggellom suddenly became telepathically connected. Emotions, thoughts and even pain were shared if Aggellom lived too close to each other. When the Aggellom discovered this, they decided to leave the ruins of their civilisation and became wandering souls avoiding contact with each other.

Bane Malar?s family had been in Desilijic servitude for over 125 generations and when Jiliac died, Jabba became Malar?s new employer. Malar proved to be an efficient Bounty Hunter and bodyguard relying on his trusty DLT-20A and 434 DeathHammer Blasters. Since Aggellom had a natural ability to bend light and become invisible (like the Defel), Malar?s Aggelloxan InviSuit had been fully adopted to support his invisibility skill. In a dim lit place like Jabba?s Palace, Malar often disappeared and let others believe he had actually left the palace.

When the trip to the Pit of Carkoon was arranged to execute the smuggler Han Solo and his friends, Jabba demanded that Malar was present on the Khetanna but the Aggellom seemed to have simply disappeared. Malar was never seen again.

Malar # 3
    Loan shark Bane Oncard represented the Fromm gang in the Corporate Sector but when he heard about the arrest of his boss, he immediately returned to the headquarters on Annoo. In the ruins of the base he encountered Zet-Nil-Kol, Sise Fromm?s venerable Tiss'shar majordomus, who told Bane that Boba Fett had the Fromms arrested and delivered to Jabba the Hutt who executed them.

When Bane learned that Jabba had killed his elderly brother Vlix as well, he retreated to the Swamps of Borga on Annoo to contemplate his future. Bane belonged to the progressive Annoo-dat Blue who favoured the use of technology and droids. With some of Tig Fromm?s uncompleted prototypes, he would be able to avenge his brother?s death. When Bane finally returned, he adopted the alias of Bane Malar and was equipped with experimental Fromm technology such as a TF-Darksuit and a destructive TF-7 Disruptor Rifle. His numerous Fromm Miniature Spy Droids gave rumour to Malar?s so-called telepathic abilities.

As a Bounty Hunter, Malar built up an impressive reputation of successful hunts. When Malar was finally invited to Jabba?s Palace, he discovered an intricate nest of plots in this rotten labyrinth of corruption. But when he was able to get his hands on CSA security files regarding Han Solo, Malar learned that the frozen Corellian had powerful friends that were on every wanted list in the entire Empire. Two droids, who matched the ones Malar had seen on HoloTapes regarding the destruction of the Trigon One almost 20 years ago, intrigued him the most.

When Solo?s friends and those two droids arrived at the Palace, Malar was certain they were up to something. Malar kept out of sight during their stay in the Palace and when the trip to the Sarlacc was arranged, he didn?t join the party. When news came that not only Jabba but also Fett had died in a battle above the Sarlacc, Malar felt relieved. Though someone else finally completed his vengeance, it surely tasted as sweet as Photon Fizzles.

7. yodas_waiter Jedi Knight

star 3
    I just took a look at the closed submission form over at the official side which has this statement on it:

The What's the Story feature is currently closed. Check back later for a round-up and review of all the submitted entries that made their way into the StarWars.com Databank.

I hadn't noticed this earlier. What do they mean with a round-up and a review? Are we going to get feedback on our entries that made it into the databank?
  8. Exar_Xan Force Ghost

star 6
    I did noticed it before and I imagine its just that we get 1 article with all the databank entries in a row or links to them anyway. This will include previous unannounced entries and maybe some more innformation on that Shadowtrooper who was completely cancelled. I dont expect more, like reviews on the why this was choisen and such.
  9. JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File

VIP
    star 3
    I'm assuming that "round-up and review" will be a little article discussing the feature, making some behind the scenes comments, and then links to the previous entries. Besides that, we've still got quite a few entries that have yet to be revealed. Hopefully, we'll get a nice farewell.
  10. HedecGa Force Ghost

star 4
  11. Sompeetalay Force Ghost

star 2
    Anybody got any idea who this guy is? I know this is a bit offtopic but I guess this thread features the top of the most wisest of all fans :p Don't follow the 'Corporate Alliance' lead. SW Yahoo has named Meena Tills as Ackbar and Lampay Fay as a Separatist ...

http://starwars.yahoo.com/photos/corporate-alliance
  12. Mikko_Slitherhorn Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    A deleted senator hm... interesting Somp. Is the picture from ROTS? Can it be someone from the ROTS novel? I'm not sure but most characters in there have been portrayed in the movie. Except Iridik'k-stallu, but she's female so I don't know.

I remember an unknown character (a senator i guess) from pictures around TPM. A guy with short hair and kind of wrapped in a big purple blanket with yellow squares on it. He hasn't been named yet. Or do you guys know anything about him? Or have a picture of him? Talks then were that he was Bail Antilles and Adrian Dunbar was Bail Organa. But now Dunbar is Antilles so...:confused:

Maybe the only way to get new names now is the Visual Guide feature. [face_praying]
  13. Sompeetalay Force Ghost

star 2
    Because of the style of the photo I'm almust sure he's from RotS. I must be honest but I haven't checked the scene very thoroughly where Palpatine arrives but I don't seem to find him there. He could as well be a Squid Lake Visitor or even someone from Padmé's funeral.

I know the Senator from 'TPM' with his purple cloth. I haven't got a clue who he is :)

Update from Leland Chee from the SW.com Messageboards: This Senator is unnamed. No idea why it would be labelled Corporate Alliance. Yahoo handles the labelling of those images internally; maybe check with Y2-D2.
  14. yodas_waiter Jedi Knight

star 3
    No update this week either. I hope we get one soon. I'm really curious to see fates of the characters from the lost round
  15. Imperial_Commandant Jedi Knight

star 1
    Here's my Bane Malar entry:

Since his youth, Bane Malar was never one for rules. The local Magistrate had volumes of his incidents varying in intensity. His native Geran, forgiving by nature, gave Malar countless chances to reform himself, however he went too far when he slew a Sky Seraph; rare, beautiful avians held as divine by the Geran. Such a heinous crime was punishable only with exile. Malar was shaken by being cast out of his home and people, and his anger pushed him to greater violence. Donning a suit stolen from the revered Geran Space Marines that allowed him to breath in alien atmospheres, he hijacked a local freighter, killing its crew and set out into the Galaxy. After a series of brutal killings, Malar caught the attention of crime boss Tyber Zann. Zann frequently hired the Geran exile to get rid of undesirables within in organization and clientele. Malar carried out his tasks with twisted glee, and quickly gathered the reputation of a particularly vicious, yet effective, hired killer. When one of his forays resulted in the death of a Moff and his family, the Empire stirred and sent its own assassins to deal with Malar. However, the Empire?s men proved ill-matched against his skills and arsenal of illegal weapons. He killed them and made off with their ship, a VT-49 Decimator. He dubbed it Seraph?s Blood, and spent countless hours modifying and upgrading it. Following dozens of successful missions, Zann entrusted Malar with removing his long time enemy, Jabba the Hutt. Malar spent some time infiltrating Jabba?s close ring of hunters and assassins. While he performed well for the Hutt, he was disruptive in court, picking fights with any who annoyed him. Despite this, Malar was very cagey with his history, and not even the other resident Geran in court; Sgt. Doallyn, knew Malar?s race or identity. Jabba?s death at the hands of the Alliance ended Malar?s hunt, as well as his long-time employment for Zann, but he continued to haunt the spacelanes as a deadly assassin?for a fee?

-The reference to "Sky Seraphs" as holy to the Geran is established in Tales from Jabba's Palace.
    -Zann's feud with Jabba was established in Empire at War: Forces of Corruption
    -The VT-19 Decimator is from Star Wars Galaxies
    -Virtually all other info is new and, if I'm lucky enough to be chosen, leaves many avenues to be explored.
    -Details of Malar's exploits were more in depth in the first draft, as well as a droid accomplice who helped him steal his first ship from Geran, and details on the Imperial reprisal against Malar.
  16. Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus

star 5
    With the winner not up and this being the last one, I might as well post mine. First:

Bane Malar was a law officer on his native Iktotch. While pursuing a suspect in his patrol cruiser he followed the other ship's blind leap into hyperspace and wound up in deep intergalactic space, far above the galactic plane. His scanners warned him of a gravitational anomaly, and as he set a course for it, he detected something unusual about it. Though it had enough gravity to pull him from hyperspace, it was the size of a small asteroid, and his scanners claimed it was organic.

Malar donned his spacesuit, left his ship, and approached the thing. He made his way inside, where he found the sole passenger of the apparent ship, a dying humanoid. Malar, like all Iktotchi, was telepathic, and so he read the being?s mind?and was horrified. He sensed that this was the harbinger of an entire race, lurking somewhere in the darkness beyond the galaxy and steadily approaching. He left the thing to die and took his ship back to known places.

Malar didn't know when these beings would arrive or what could be done about it, but he knew that he didn't want to be around when it happened. He had heard rumors that the Banking Clan had once had stations deep in the space beyond the galactic plane, and he caught word that Jabba the Hutt had secretly purchased one of them for his own use as a safehouse. Jabba would personally keep the coordinates, he knew, so Malar decided he needed to get close to the Hutt. He hired himself out as a bounty hunter, using his spacesuit as a menacing disguise, and with his skills at catching criminals easily caught Jabba's eye.

In ensuing months, Malar surreptitiously read Jabba's mind and learned where he could find the coordinates, but realized he needed to kill the Hutt to have a chance at getting them. Fortunately, a Jedi soon did the job for him. In the confusion and looting that followed, he was able to get to Jabba's vault and nab the datacards, then set off for the secret hideout, confident that when the invaders came he would be safe.

Second, and my personal favorite:

In another time, Bane Malar might have been a Jedi, not the Brute of Cerea. He was born mildly Force-sensitive at the height of the Empire, and when his family realized this they took him into hiding. Malar grew up realizing that his gift brought only fear and hate from others, and so he turned those same emotions back onto the galaxy that held them. His first bounty was his own parents, whom he handed over to the Empire dead to keep them from revealing his secret. And now that the Empire trusted him, he could deal with them too.

The Brute was two men: Bane Malar, the vicious kath-hound of the Empire whose bloodthirsty reputation made him feared almost as much by the Imperials as by the Cereans, and the Brute of Cerea, an anonymous vigilante who executed collaborators and Imperials with a grim brutality that spoke of a deep hatred. Each seemed so dedicated to his cause, and so viciously opposed to its enemies, that none were able to connect the two. Even Malar was unsure who he hated more: the Empire that had forced his parents into a fugitive's life, or the Cereans who did nothing but take the abuses heaped upon them.

The Empire had had enough. The governor called in the bounty hunter Vetria Scoth, ordering him to locate the Brute and end his spree of violence. Scoth's own brutality seemed the vigilante's match, and the horrors he inflicted upon the Cereans in his hunt triggered something Malar had not felt in a long time: fear. Knowing his time was short, he invited Scoth to visit, supposedly to discuss the hunt, and shot him in the back.

Before the body could be found, Malar was off Cerea. He came to hear of Jabba the Hutt, whose Imperial ties and own oppression of the people of Tatooine inspired a hatred much like that he had felt on Cerea. Malar joined Jabba's entourage, intending to end his life. It was not to be; another had that pleasure, and Malar was left on his own again, looking for another target to con
  17. HedecGa Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow...so what's everybody been up to since they butchered our very hearts by killing What's the Story:_| :_|

Sorry, I promised myself I wouldn't cry. :p

Anyway, so I was on the Wook's entry for WTS and came across that thing in the external links from 2000 called "What's this guy's story?" I remember that! That was actually the campaign that got me back into Star Wars, believe it or not, which is why winning WTS was so fitting and special to me. Whatever happened with that contest? Any new fan-created characters come out of that? I've always wondered...
  18. Exar_Xan Force Ghost

star 6
    Not a clue, I only knew the ads wich were in comics, not if anything ever came out of it. BUt I am wondering this as well.

What has I been up to? Nothing much, daily life taking over, trying to finish up 2 stories: Force Abduction, a SW Fanfic and 1 original horror story that I called Hell Train. But it is in Dutch so I will have to see if I can make some time to translate it if you people are interested to read it.
  19. Sompeetalay Force Ghost

star 2
    Well, I can actually shed more light to that campaign :)

Way back I was in touch with Jeff Quick, the editor of SW Gamer. I suggested to him the idea of creating stories for unnamed characters from the movie. I was allowed to create 6 characters that I could choose myself. The problem was that I had to include RPG stats and since I didn't really know the D20 rules, I had a lot of trouble creating those stats.
    But when I finally send them out, the editor was replaced by someone else.

These are the six I choose:
    - Dark skinned Rebel Pilot - now known as Grizz Frix
    - Two female dignitaries in Home One
    - Small man played by Warwick Davis in 'TPM' (not Weasel!)
    - Two Ewoks in the AT-ST
    - Ishi Tib in Home One
    - Rebel Major seen in Echo Base Command Center

The next thing I saw was that 'What's this guys story' action. Once more, I created two stories but that was the end of it. Nobody ever heard anything about it.

Some of these stories were drafts for WTS entries. Though I do believe that Grizz Frix and part of the Ewoks were the only ones I used :)

What I've been up to? The same as usual ... that busy huh? TeeKay work, Yodapedia stuff, ...

20. HedecGa Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow, Somp! I didn't know you had so many connections! That's awesome...or really disappointing since nothing came of it. But, hey, no worries, we had WTS. :) Thanks for clearing that up for me. Like I said, that's what got me into Star Wars EU in the first place so, in some weird way, I guess I have you to thank for that. Isn't that wild? Strange that our paths have finally crossed. Fate, perhaps? [face_thinking]

I had a completely random thought the other day. It's totally just idle talk that I don't usually partake in, but I thought a great replacement for WTS could be "What's the Retcon?". Leland proposes "The Problem" with two (or more) contradicting sources, and leaves it to the fans to create "The Solution". The best one (the one that fits the most) gets selected. Man, that'd be some fun stuff. But, again, idle talk that won't amount to anything...except a lone fanboy's dream. Sigh...[face_hypnotized]
  21. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Wait, you mean that's not what we were supposed to do with our WTS submissions? :oops: ;)
  22. Sompeetalay Force Ghost

star 2
    Well the idea was perhaps too overwhelming. But he Jeff Quick really liked the idea and perhapsif he would have stayed, it could have become a pre-WTS :)

I would already be very happy when we could name a character on the Visual Guides (whenever those will return)
  23. HedecGa Force Ghost

star 4
    Okay--Totally unrelated to anything even remotely Star Wars, but...that Halloween Comics site that I've been writing for is now online in prepartion for the first issue of the new comic (Halloween: Nightdance) coming out tomorrow. It's exciting to me as I've been working hard on the material for the site (even though it's not all up yet) and wanted to share it with my WTS family! Take a sec and behold the beauty, won't you?
  24. Sompeetalay Force Ghost

star 2
    It' great ! Good luck with the release :)
  25. yodas_waiter Jedi Knight

star 3
    I wonder when we'll get to see the last WTS update? It's gone more than a month since they stopped the feature...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.