main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OFFICIAL "WHERE THE HELL ARE WE GONNA WATCH THE MOVIE?" THREAD

Discussion in 'Archive: Winston-Salem, NC' started by Stobal, Apr 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stobal

Stobal Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2002
    Well I know there are a couple threads with this topic but this is gonna be the real deal. It would be cool to get some kind of consensus soon because the date rapidly aproaches. So far the options seem to be W-S Wynnsong, The Regal in High Point, and the Grand in Gboro. Personally I would prefer Wynsong cause I live like two seconds away from it. Swag I know your down with that idea, we could even go "borrow" some inflatible pepsi cans from Waly World :) Assuming all three theatres (doubtful) get the film what is everyones preference.
    WYNNSONG ----1 VOTE <--ME so far

LETS HEAR IT GUYS and Girls if there are any

Oh yeah...... I am def supportive of the tee shirt idea anyone wanna take command or should I look into it? Post if you would be interested or if you wanna be the one who looks into getting some made.
    Thanks
    Stobal

2. VinkFloyd

VinkFloyd Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2000
    As far as getting it:
    Wynnsong IS getting the film. FOUR prints, in fact. They are a definate option.
    Grande IS getting the film. SIX prints is what they are trying to acquire from who I talked to yesterday.
    Regal claims to know nothing, but I have inside sources that say they have made a bid for it, which means they can get it, regardless of the lack of THX.

As far as presells:
    Wynnsong can NOT.
    Grande CAN and WILL, but have not given a date yet.
    Regal CAN but isn't sure they are getting the film.

As far as midnight showings:
    Wynnsong doesn't know if they will.
    Grande doesn't know if they will.
    Regal doesn't know if they will.

My vote right now goes to WHOEVER PRESELLS TICKETS FIRST! Now, this obviously excludes Wynnsong and only includes Grande at this point. If Regal comes on as a confirmed displayer and presells first, it's most convenient for me and my friends in High Point to see it there.

3. Winter1138

Winter1138 Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2002
    I am currently considering one other option. Due to real life commitments on the 10th (the most likely day for ticket sales to start at The Grande), I am trying to determine who will have online ticket sales. The Carmike 18 off Kroger Blvd is doing 14 day advance sales for Spiderman through Fandango.com. I did check the web site today, but no one in the area is allowing ticket sales yet.

If nothing else, I may at least get a ticket for the first available show that I can online and then if I can get a ticket at The Grande also, I just won't use my ticket for the Carmike.

Anyone got any info on other online ticket opportunities?

Thanks!
    Winter

4. VinkFloyd

VinkFloyd Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2000
    ah, of course. on-line ticket sales are a factor as well.

well, for the 3 i'm considering, the only one who does online sales is, in fact, the regal. they go thru fandango.

so, basically, what i'm sayin', is that if both regal and grande are going to sell tickets on the 10th, if regal's are available on fandango at midnite but grande's not available until noon (12 hours later), then regal wins out there.

5. sidious75x

sidious75x Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2001
    I was originally going to go to a press screening in Burlington, (@ some theatre that is owned by the same people that run the 14 plex theatre off Battleground) but I think that deal has been ixnayed! I got into the Phantom Menace screening back in '99 (@ the time, I was management in a local movie theatre) This time around is different. It just isn't as fun watching it before everyone else. And I won't do it again. ( I don't think I have much of a choice this time! :) )

Anyway, I'm rooting for the Grande. I was there last night for a press screening for Spiderman,(it was actually pretty good) and man, is that a NICE theatre!!
    I can't believe I haven't gone sooner. That is my vote.

The Regal: I am assuming this is the theatre at the Oak Hollow Mall(?) (help me out people) If so, I can throw rocks at it from my back porch. I have nothing good or bad to say about it, because:

1. I have never worked for Regal Cinemas.
    2. I am obviously confused concerning its location.
    3. I have obviously never been there. :)

Wynsong: SUX. Nasty theatre, rude management, week old popcorn, stomping ground for the devil. (well, I guess that sums it up.) And believe me, most there will do anything to be counter-productive toward the happiness of a Star Wars fan. Calling them (unless you KNOW someone who works there) is FUTILE.

Love, Peace, Chicken Grease
    Pete

6. Ryeguy77

Ryeguy77 Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2002
    Hey Sidious,

It sounds like you're a member of the press? However, it seems like you have a pretty non-objective view of the Wynnsong. Perhaps a bad personal experience has lessened your objectivity. Sorry to hear that. I had a great EPI:TPM experience there. A few too many kids for my preference, but whatchagonnado? That's part of the theater experience.

Anyway, at one time or another, I've had less than enjoyable experiences at just about every Triad theater (including WS, Grande & Regal), but overall I don't find any of them to be consistently bad.

As far as sound and screen go, again...I don't find a colossal difference between any of them. I think their "AAA" rooms are very good. And then they each have their crappy little "Being John Malkovich" rooms that they put artsy films in. I think it's pretty safe to say the AOTC won't be put in the third-rate rooms until sometime in July.
    My point: the quality is all pretty much the same. Now, if anyone wants to roadtrip with me up to Valley View, OH to catch AOTC in state-of-the-art digital projection, let me know. I'm all for it! It's only a 9.5 hour drive. ;-)

WWYD? <(-_-)>

7. Winter1138

Winter1138 Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2002
    I went ahead today and got my Thursday 1:45 tickets at Carmike 18 in Greensboro, but I had problems with the supposed 12:30 am midnight show. They were not available at the box office or online for 12:30 am on 5/16, but instead at 12:30 am 5/17. I am heading over to the 8:15 Spiderman tonight, so I will check again to see if this is straightened out yet.

I am still planning on trying to get tickets for the midnight show at the Grande. A friend of mine and I were told at 11:30 today that they would decide Saturday for sure, but the tickets would probably go on sale on Monday. When I called again at 3:00 to see if there was any additional info, I was told the decision would be made on Monday about ticket sales.

Don't they realize it is not wise to upset a Star Wars fan? I am getting really tired of this inconsistency.

Anyone else get any different info?
    Winter

8. Wolvskar

Wolvskar Jedi Youngling

Mar 14, 2002
    I was able to but tickets for the 5/16/02 12:30a show. That is what the tickets say.

9. SWJedi1138

SWJedi1138 Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2002
    I just heard that the Grande will not be doing a midnight show, but instead will set up a rocking chair in the parking lot where George Lucas himself will sit and read the entire book to all of his fans while employees of the Lucasfilm corporate office attempt to act out the scenes while blindfolded. It's supposed to be a part of the Lucas for Literacy campaign. Should be a real treat!

~eXodus~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.