main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* Wisconsin Fanforce Costume Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by LeiaYT1300, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    I would like to introduce the above thread to all of you, the first step in our little costume "club". To be quite honest, I've never headed a club before, but if there's one thing I do know, it's costuming, and I promise to field this club the best I can. And with Red to help, I'm sure this will quite fun!

I hope this thread will be a place where you can ask questions about costuming, post ideas and wishes for upcoming costumes, and any other topics that are costume-related.

I would also like to start to have little club meetings, either at my place (or wherever it's convenient) bi-monthly (if this gets really popular we could go to once a month), so that we can get together in person, bring bits of our work in to show and discuss, or to discuss new works in general or other costuming dilemmas.

I will post the date for the first meeting at my place in the next week or so, once the holidays have passed (and I've figured out how many more bloomin' weddings Bob and I have to attend). If you are interested, please let me know when you are most available, so that I can accomodate as many of you as I can. It may turn out in future that simply a date will be set for a meeting, and anyone who can will come, but I'd like to be more accomodating, at least for the first meeting. All are welcome!

Also, I keep a very close eye on the costuming boards, so if there are any special sewing needs you might require or questions that need answering I can direct you to the correct threads there. It's a hot board with lots of talk, and although I haven't started posting yet (and I plan to), it's enough just to read the discussions on the myriad of topics there. And if you have any questions concerning those topics, for sometimes it helps to have a sewing knowledge to decipher things, I am more than willing to help.

Either way, this thread will keep us all together as we go. Please post with your questions, thoughts, comments and sewing angst (I know I will, as this Bespin costume evolves...), or if you simply feel like screaming at me for whatever reason ( ;) ). And watch for the date of our first little costuming soiree!
    :)

2. TwistyMaeSkywalker

TwistyMaeSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2000
    Ahem. let me be the first (besides you Beret, of course) to post here...

Sunday I went to JoAnne's and scoured the 'Fabric Bonanza' section for good fabrics. Found 5 yards and 21 inches (all that was left on the roll) of dark brown-grey suit fabric for a cloak, and bought what looks like a good pattern. Got all the way to the check out before I realized the cloak pattern calls for 7 yards. [face_blush] Needless to say, I'm bummed. So, if anyone wants a little kid cloak, I've got fabric to sell you. Also, they had a lot of good browns in suit fabric there, if anyone wants to get their own. Not sure how much you can get, since it is the bargain rack...

Also, I'm looking for (I believe this is it) rayon crepe for my tunics. Now, I can't find any at JoAnne's (been to three stores) so I'm wondering if anyone has seen any somewhere else. I need enough for two or three tunics in various layers and styles (undertunic, main tunic, and tabard, plus the obi)

3. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Hi Twisty!

My first question to you is this: How wide is the suiting fabric? My guess would be 45". But I'm curious, because we might be able to change the pattern or use a different one, and fudge things. You are shorter than me, and in perspective, although I couldn't use 5 yards, you might. So don't give up yet! Two 2 yard panels (72") at 45" wide each can go a long way! :)

And you might want to call other JoAnn Fabric stores in the area. Using your receipt, you might be able to find the same thing, and get more yardage.
    And if travel is the problem, let's talk! We might plan a "fabric hunting day" where a few of us could pile into my car or another's and raid the stores for bargains! :)

As for rayon crepe, you may be able to find that at a Hancock Fabrics. They carry a number of fabrics that JoAnn's doesn't, and give their decorator fabrics a try--they do carry some great farics in wider yardages that may be useful (I mean, people use alot of crazy fabrics for upholstery and curtains!)
    Otherwise, I have a mail order source from Brooklyn that I just love! For a tiny fee, they'll send you swatches of anything you want, and their stock seems endless. If you would like, I'll PM you their website addy.

As for rayon crepe, in and of itself and for your info., consider this:
    --First off, depending on the weather you'll wear this in and how much physical movement you do (saber dueling vs. standing around), you may want to find something natural instead. It can get hot, especially with multiple layers! I hear about this alot on the costuming discussion board and in my own experience.
    --Also, rayon doesn't iron well (although you may want a more wrinkled look...). I once used rayon crepe for a cocktail dress for a wedding. Since it wrinkles easy, I ironed it. The iron left an awful sheen on it that I just hated. I spent the day running my fingernails over it, trying to rough up the nap to take the sheen away.

Now, I don't wish to discourage you, and I understand you're probably on a tight budget. But if you would like, there are places we can look for natural fabrics, and at good prices. And instead, say for the obi, you could use poly, since it is a smaller garment item, to save money.
    Also, dying is an option, which I have done with cottons (I even dyed poly once--which was interesting...). So we could find a very good, cotton with the similar look you're going for in white, which is generally cheaper, and dye it, if necessary.

Anyway, let's talk on it. And I'd love to see this fabric you got and the patterns you're using, if you find you are able to make it to the first meeting (once I've posted the date). So if you can make it, bring them! :)

4. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    The Hobbit needs a cloak!!! :p If you can't use that material, Twisty, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. I'm not doing a Jedi cloak, but I would like the material for my own design.

The costume stuff sounds fun. I'm taking my first costume construction class this coming semester so by Spring I should be pretty good (I'm hoping). I'd love to be a part of the costume club!! :)

5. TwistyMaeSkywalker

Nov 3, 2000
    Beret, the suiting fabric is 64" wide. I think, if I sit down this week and start laying out pattern pieces, I could get the whole thing done with this piece.

And a "fabric hunting day" sounds wonderful. I'm free most Saturdays and Sundays from now on, plus nights durring the week.

I'm definetly up for dying fabrics as well. And I'm thinking that if I'm dueling or even just standing around, the August heat will get to me pretty quick.

And definetly PM me the website for that catalouge. I'm ready to get serious on this now, especially since I've got free time.

6. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that my wife gets the Vogue Fabrics flier mailed to her. If you're looking for the website, it's:

www.myvoguefabrics.com

I know you were talking about it saturday, so maybe you know this already. If not, maybe it might help. My wife and I go down there (Evanston) every two or three months, and I speak from experience when I say that they've got LOADS of hard to find fabric at decent prices.

Good luck with the "thread"!

(Sorry 'bout that, couldn't resist)

7. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Twisty, 64" should be fine to work with. Let me know if you need help laying this fabric out for cutting (the nap will determine the final layout). Like you said, it's time to get serious on this! :) And I'll PM you the link today!

Solo, good luck on your first class! They are worth every penny! And I'm sure you'll have great fun. I've only had a few lessons, but my mother was an accomplished seamstress, so between her and Threads magazines, I've learned on the fly. But classes are worth it everytime! And if you need help, let me know!

And thanks, bwing, for the link. I'll definitely peruse it. I've heard of the outlet in Evanston, but I've never been down there (but then again, I didn't have a driver's license until this past Easter, so I had few ways to get there--that's why I love having things shipped to me!). But I think it's time to make the journey. I'll let you guys know when I am going and anyone is welcome to come with me. :)

Meanwhile, I would like to suggest Saturday, July 13th as a date for our first meeting, say around noon at my place. Let me know if this is a good date for all of you! Remember to bring your ideas and projects/fabric/patterns (if you can--some stuff I know you just can't transport), and we'll discuss! :)

8. jedi_kiss_rock_

jedi_kiss_rock_ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    count me in, ill need some directions please.

are we going shopping for cloth?

thx
    chris

9. TwistyMaeSkywalker

Nov 3, 2000
    Beret, thanks for the link. I'll bring the fabric and the pattern along with me to the meeting, if I can make it (at the moment, it sounds fine)

10. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Jedi_Kiss_Rock, I hadn't planned on it, but it's possible. It would have to be in town, though, for the moment...

Well, what is the consensus here? Is a trip to a fabric store something all of you might like to do on Saturday, the 13th?

Either way, let me know if you can make it on the 13th.

And, Twisty, I'm penciling you in for that day. Just let me know if it turns out you can't make it.

:)

11. Red_Jedi_Knight

Red_Jedi_Knight Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    greetings all red jk here. life is annoying and i'm finally on. okay i'm gonna schedual for the date said b4 and hope to make it there!! i've been slaking and i need ti finish my second tunic. heheh patchwork sleeve!! hope to see you all there!!!

12. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    I'm pretty sure I can be there. I think a shopping expidition would be fun and helpful. I have NO idea what to even do in a fabric store so a lesson on that would be nice! :)

13. Red_Jedi_Knight

Red_Jedi_Knight Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    ummmm actually now that i talked with my mom it turns out i'll be on the other side of the state that week end....so i'm kinda not able to make it...opps.... drat!!

14. TwistyMaeSkywalker

Nov 3, 2000
    Alright, for those of us who are going for the Jedi costumes of various kinds (I'm modeling the female version of Anakin's...I hope!) I found this great site that someone recomended on the costuming boards

http://www.padawansguide.com/

Lots of great pictures and ideas for various aspects of the costumes, including other Jedi besides Obi and Anakin.

Now, to find the proper patern.

15. jedi_kiss_rock_

jedi_kiss_rock_ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    hello

I did not know what you had planed so i asked if we where , i did not mean that we had to go cloth shopping. OH , on another note i will need some help building the tunic and what not. Thanks for your time.

chris

16. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Twisty, thanks for the link to the Padawan's Guide. I've been there a few times, and it's a good source. Please bring any links to websites you think may be great sources. I'll be sharing my own list during the meeting as well.

And no worries, Jedi_Kiss, we'll help you with your Jedi costume--no problem!

Now, this is for Red, as she really wants to be there for this meeting, and I would like her to be. I'm flexible. So, everyone, please post with your available days/weeknights, and maybe we can come up with a date for the meeting other than the 13th. The 14th is booked, due to the MIB II viewing. And I'm booked on the 20th (my cousin's wedding), just so you know.

Otherwise for now, the 13th remains the day.
    Don't worry, I'll PM directions to all of you beforehand. And if there are transportation difficulties, let me know--I can pick someone up, if necessary. :)

I'm looking at the tentative agenda, and we already have lots to talk about. I'm so excited!
    :D

17. cruznseal2

cruznseal2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2001
    sounds like good fun to me. I?m hoping to stop by. I?ll bring my Jedi costume (WIP) its coming along quite well but I?d love some help.

keep me posted.

-mike

18. Kylash_327

Kylash_327 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2002
    Thought I'd post a link to pics of my Jango costume for the heck of it.

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=Kylash327&album_id=77584&image
    _id=
    nvb

19. TwistyMaeSkywalker

Nov 3, 2000
    How about a Friday evening? Would that work for anyone?

I'm free every night but Monday and Wednesday, but even that can be switched if need be. I'm pretty flexible.

(And Beret, if we do hold the meeting on the 14th, I might need a ride. Depends on if there are any bus routes right by you)

20. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    It'll be great to see you there, Mike!

And fantastic Jango costume, Kylash! I'd love to hear about your methods for the armor's creation. :)

Twisty, the #15 runs virtually in front of my house on Oakland Ave. But don't worry about it--Bob and/or I will come and get you, if you need it--no problem! :)

Now, it seems like we may be leaning towards a Friday night. If the 13th (Saturday) presents a problem, how about Friday night, the 12th? We won't be able to shop really, but we can certainly powwow, and there will be lots to discuss!

So, again, please post and let me know what days are good for all of you. Once you've all posted your best dates, we'll take the most popular one that most can attend.

Thanks! :)

21. CaptMereel

CaptMereel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2002
    Beret, I've been watching the thread thinking I might go fabric shopping when you arrange a trip for that....when that is decided, please let me know.

We can talk on the 11th when we get together again about the Jedi and Sith outfits you'll be making for us.....however, when it comes time to shop for fabric for thoseoutfits, if I don't make it on some other day when you get a group together for fabric shopping, I'll do the driving for our day out.

As I mentioned to you, I no longer like to sew (not really liking it to begin with and then getting myself sewed-out doing historical uniforms for reenactor friends I just got so burned out and disgusted that I now hate to sew) so prefer to hire people to do it for me....so I probably won't come to any of the costume meetings...although I will be there is spirit.

22. jedisister

jedisister Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 2001
    Costumers! Would you be willing to help a fanforce member out by making them a costume if they purchase the material and contribute to your time? Reason I ask is, I would love to have a Jedi costume or 2, one I can pretty much piece together on my own w/out having to pick needle and thread, but the other I would really like a more "authentic" costume but have no means of sewing, ie: sewing machine, inkling of how to do patterns, proper fabrics, etc. BUT, since there seems to be a fairly good size group of talent w/us, maybe I wouldn't necessarily have to pick up needle and thread. I confess the one time I actually had to make an article of clothing was for 9th grade home-eche(sp?) class and I ended up turning the project in AFTER school was over for the year, by like two weeks. It was bad and scarred me for life from ever wanting to attempt sewing for myself again. I can very much appreciate other peoples work and effort, just from the mere fact of realizing that I suck so royally at it!! Let me know if this is a feisible request, I know you will all be working on your own costumes, but if anyone is up to the job, I'd be grateful.

23. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Leslie, you will be the first to know when this fabric trip is arranged. Hope you can make it, otherwise I have no trouble arranging a separate trip. :)

Tracey, I don't think it will be a problem to put together a Jedi costume for you. You can either hire me to do it, or have all of us pitch in. If you can make it to the meeting, we will certainly discuss the best ways to do it for you. I mean, every fan deserves a great costume! :)

Remember to post your best available dates, everyone, so we can come up with the best meeting date! Danke! :D

24. cruznseal2

cruznseal2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2001
    I get my work schedule on Friday so i don't exactly know when I?m free but when I work its usually from 4-9PM so if you could have the meeting on the early side that would help (if it works for everyone else that is)

thanks

-mike

25. CaptMereel

CaptMereel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2002
    Thanks, Beret. Fabric shopping for me would be best, probably for others as well, on a weekend. July is filling up fast but I have 1 Saturday (20th) and 2 Sundays (21st/28th) open right now. August is better after GenCon...in fact, I have off that Monday and Tuesday after Gencon for what I call recuperation days if that's a possibility (although I might be broke because I am picking up my commissioned painting of Boba Fett at GenCon....$$$ ouch!)....ah, Hades, there's always the credit card! :)

But, as you said, you will let me know first when the fabric shopping day is set...can't wait! Really excited about the outfits you are making for Bruce and I.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.