main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* Wisconsin Fanforce Costume Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by LeiaYT1300, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Well, from the responses I've seen so far on the thread, it looks as though the 13th is holding as the top date for the meeting. So unless I hear otherwise, I'm sticking to it at the moment.

Leslie, as for this fabric shopping day, I haven't decided. I'm booked on the 20th, and it will all depend on how the Bespin costume is going if whether or not there's time to spare. I'm thinking, at this rate, for your two costumes, we might just fabric shop together on a day in late August/early September, since I should have the patterns ready by then, and I'll know how much you'll need for them. I would hate to have you overbuy.
    But in terms of a general fabric shopping day, the moment I know when that will be, I will let you know, and you are more the welcome to join us.
    If the 13th holds for the date of the meeting, a fabric shopping date will be a topic for discussion, and we should come to a decision then.

So, once again, the 13th is holding steady as the meeting date, unless I hear otherwise from a majority. By Wednesday I would like to know if this date will be a definite, so post with your availability and comments.

2. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    The 13th works for me at any time. :) Can't wait.

3. TwistyMaeSkywalker

TwistyMaeSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2000
    13th's fine for me, if you don't mind giving me a ride, Beret! ;)

4. jedisister

jedisister Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 2001
    Thanks Beret. Not sure if I'll be able to make the meeting or not. might be going to Renassiance Fair that day. If not, I'll try to make it.

5. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    I'm thinkin' about coming along to observe, if that's okay.

6. Red_Jedi_Knight

Red_Jedi_Knight Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    like i said the 13th no good for me i'm on the other side of state but have a good time!!

7. CaptMereel

CaptMereel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2002
    Beret,
    Your suggestion for shopping in August/September might be the best bet for our 2 outfits because, as you say, you'll have the patterns worked out and we'll know how much fabric to buy. See you Thursday evening!

8. Jedi_Knight_Isadore

Jedi_Knight_Isadore Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    I would love to be there but unfortunally I planed the first RPG that same day :( I set the date before I found out that this was going on. Maybe I will be able to go to the next one.
    Devan

9. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    We need to decide on a time for the meeting so I can get the announcement up on the Midwest Fan Force news page.

10. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Okay--here's is the final official date and time for the Costume Club meeting:

Date: Saturday, July 13th, 2002
    Time: 1pm
    Where: LeiaYT1300's abode on the east side

We have lots to talk about, and it should prove quite fun. Attending to observe is welcome! :) And don't forget your plans for upcoming costumes, your ideas, and questions. And bring your costumes themselves or fabric/patterns, if you like, especially if you have questions on construction and such.

As for my address and directions, if you are attending, please PM me, and I will reply with the info. And don't hesitate to PM me with questions on this! :)

11. jedihexer

jedihexer Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2002
    Ta ta Da da!!!!! Announcing his grand Imperialness.....

O.K. so much for the fake whoha's... wanted to let you know (for those interested) Kris B. who was at the party and myself want to start a bounty hunter costume group...to go to cons and such, basically to walk around and look cool, in a kicka#* sort of way.

I thought it would be fun to work within the group..ideas, palns etc.

I also want to go to Chicago SOON...to look at fabric. So Leslie, or anyone else... lets pick a date and roadtrip. It's downtown-sort of- so we might have to walk a little. There are 2 places to go for sure.

Let me know what you think of the idea!

Now you may go back to being model citizens of the Republic!

Eric

12. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Hey Eric!

Oh, pardon me--I meant Lord Chancellor.

(tee-hee!--sorry, I couldn't help myself!) :p

Anyway, I think a bounty hunter group would be great! Nothing is more fun than over-taking a con in costume. It's things like this we should discuss at the meeting on Saturday, so I hope either you or Kris can make it.

As for a fabric run in Chicago, I am ready and willing. We just need to settle on a date and time, so we'll discuss this also at the meeting. I'm thinking this will happen in August, at the rate we're headed.

There's so much to discuss on the 13th. I will be putting together an agenda to loosely follow so we can tackle everything we want to during the meeting.

Hope to see you there! :)

And, a message for everyone: Don't forget to PM me for address and directions!

13. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    I splurged at Target yesterday. I found the PERFECT boots for my costume. I'll be sure to bring them on the 13th. :) Can't WAIT for this meeting!!

14. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Oooh! :D

Boots are always a good thing! Definitely bring 'em! :D

Note to everyone attending:
    I don't know how long this meeting will be, but I'll have a few snacks like pretzels and chips for munching, and I always have Coke (plus there's lemonade and endless coffee). If you want something specific to munch for yourselves, bring it along.
    If we feel we need pizza or something, depending on how things go, we can work it out then. :)

15. Admiral_Snackbar_

Admiral_Snackbar_ Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2002
    Shiver me timbers! Ye trick-or-treaters be out of season!

16. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    *Bump!*

Don't forget--if you are coming to the meeting on the 13th, PM me for my address and directions!

:)

17. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
  18. cruznseal2

cruznseal2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2001
    i work from 11:00-4:30 is it worth stopping by after work or will the party be over.

-mike

19. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Thanks, Tom. :)

Cruz, I'm not really sure how long it's going to go. It's starts at 1pm, so it's possible. I'll PM you my phone number, so you can call and see what the situation is before you trek over. But I hope you can make it. :)

20. Kylash_327

Kylash_327 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2002
    A bounty hunter guild! Eric that's your best idea yet!!! *warms up the Jango suit*

21. Kylash_327

Kylash_327 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2002
    And I'd love to come to the meeting, I've got so many costumes and props to share (Jango, Jedi, Sith, Bounty Hunter) but I promised a friend of mine that I'd help her move that day... *cries*

22. cruznseal2

cruznseal2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2001
    I agree, a bounty hunter guild would be crazy fun.

Eric if you know some one who could show us how to vacuform that would be a step in the right direction. bounty hunters need armor (and a t-shaped visor)

i love this idea. I?m very close to finishing my Jedi costume so I?m about ready for something new.

-mike

23. jedihexer

jedihexer Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2002
    Just so you know...this isn't real easy stuff. Kris is showing me how to do it. But just to keep evryone steady... the cost for the shoes alone-hand made for your foot-$250.00! The entire costume could run as much as $1500.00.

I'm not saying this to alarm anyone. Just to let you know that if you go full foce-to the extreme, you can expect a lot in the way of bills.

The hardest part is getting a mask right now...they are not made anymore!

Ideas anyone!!!!!!?????

Your ever loving President and costume nut!

Eric

24. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    I just want to reinforce our dear president's statement on the cost of good costumes. They are expensive! And I can vouch for that.

To make the Bespin Leia costume as close to the original as possible, I spent $600 alone in fabric, just so I could use real silk, of the correct texture, dyed to my exact specifications. And that's not counting shoes, dyed to match, any hairpieces (yes, I bought a fake bun so I could use all my hair for the braids, to make them thicker), and any sewing materials needed (I've gone through 6 quilting pencils for tracing already, along with $40+ in silk embroidery thread, and don't ask how much the little things like thread and elastic are).

All in all, I'm looking at a costume that cost me nearly $1000 in the end. And for the amazing amount of hours spent on it (I'll have to do the math on that one day...), if you were to have this costume made by a professional, I can guarantee it would run upwards of $4000 (materials + labor).

So, if you want a costume, and you want it done right, you have to be prepared to pay. There are ways to cut corners to save money(aside from making it yourself), which I have done at times for costumes, and simple modifications can save bucks, but it all depends on what you want and how good you want it to look.

Sure, I could have gone out and bought cheap polyester crepe in colors that were mostly close, used DMC floss, and saved a ton of money (but not time). But it would never have really looked right. And I wouldn't have been happy with it.

So it's a sacrifice one must be prepared to make. But that doesn't mean you won't be lucky and find the perfect fabric for the perfect price--it does happen. It all depends on what you like/want and how far you want to take it.

Thanks for reiterating it, Eric. Of course, I will bring it up again at the meeting on Saturday.

Onward with the bounty-hunter costume branch! :)

25. Skywalker1138

Skywalker1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2002
    I don't know if you've ever seen the Buffalo boots at the Bristol Renaissance Faire, but the shoes run from $200-$600 per pair! You can always get a different set of boots but many buy the sturdy ones there. I'm just reinforcing what was already said above. I've made a costume myself, and LeiaYT1300 has worked on one (unfinished because I moved to CA then) too, and they were expensive (although definately worth it). If you're serious, then of course, you'll find the cash. Don't forget, besides the fabric, thread, embellishments and shoes, there's the time hired behind it too. Fascinating costumes--at a price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.