main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* Wisconsin Fanforce Costume Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by LeiaYT1300, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    OK, guys. I come before the costume guild in search of help. This is acually more of a prop issue, but what the heck--we got no stinking "prop guild" around here! Anyhoo, I've been surfing many a military surplus site (and ebay, that miserable pit of hell) for different types of flight helmets. I'm trying to come up with some type of headgear for a B-Wing pilot costume, which is rather difficult because:

1) There are no pictures (still or video) or conceptual drawings that I've been able to locate for a human B-Wing pilot and headgear, and,

2) We're talking about some rather steep prices.

Now, I've checked in at the Rebel Legion website, and couldn't turn up any good info there, so I thought I'd just put some feelers out with you guys--if you know of any good sources for reasonably-priced prop or surplus helmets, please shoot me a pm. Because the thing is up to interpretation, I can go with a hard or soft (WW1/WW2-era) helmet. I'm just tired of searching the net until my eyes are ready to explode.

Anyway, I appreciate the consideration. I now return you to your costuming business. Thank you, and carry on.

Jason

2. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Hi Jason! Let me talk to Bob this evening and I'll PM you the results--he knows a ton of places for army surplus. That, and he's been starting to build props on the side, in preparation for our Han and Leia costumes, so we're both getting very good at this (I should bring the Imperial blaster he finished last month for me--it's quite amazing!--and I'm not just saying that because I'm gonna marry him! ;) ). And frankly, costumes=props in my book, because what's a costume without the appropriate props/accessories? So this query counts, most definitely.

As for pics of a B-wing, I could have sworn there was something around on it (my brain has this niggling suspicion that I've seen something before concerning that), so I do some searching and see what I can't come up with. Granted, we never really saw a B-wing pilot in the movies, but I don't doubt that an encyclopedia or some such source hasn't already come up with a standard uniform you can base yours on.

Anyway, I'm on it (I love mysteries like this!)! :)

3. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    Thanks a ton, Beret! I knew you'd help out, what with all your free time and all...

4. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    No problem! :)

Check your PMs...

:)

5. LauedGiind

LauedGiind Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Hey, I was wondering if it would be easier to get a bridal slip instead of doing the farthingale. They seem very similar to me but I could be wrong. I got most the supplies to make the corset tonight. I am getting excited to do this.

6. LauedGiind

Sep 4, 2002
    Ok, I measured myself tonight and got some wierd measurements. (I did have someone else measure me too.) Bust size turned out to be a 38 1/2", waist turned out to be 33 1/2", and hips were 45". What size should I try out for. I thought I was a size 12 but according to the patterns I have that really does not match. I am several different sizes! Did I get the wrong size patterns???

Oh, when I went to JoAnn Fabrics today to pick up my corset items, I saw Bridal Polyester in an Eggplant color. It was like the material that you would use for a Bridesmaids dress and it did not have the sheen that regular satin has (I looked down the aisle and saw the regular satin). It could also be that the dress is a taffeta from what I saw in the CII pictures. It gives off a odd sheen but not the sheen that satin has.

I was also looking at that velvet pattern and noticed that it was cheaper by the yard if you ordered it by bolt. Should I get a bolt?

7. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Hi Laura!

A bridal slip would be an ok substitute, but it may not have the right look. We could go to David's Bridal or another bridal shop, and walk around in one, just to see what the "swish" looks like. But I really think you can do the farthingale, and if you need help, I'd be more than glad to stop over one night--it can be made in under 4 hours with two people working on it. Plus, I was thinking you may need help fitting the hem, as that is where the last hoop should go. But we can talk about this further. :)

As for pattern, stick with the size. Simplicity runs large--remember, there's 2 inches of ease added in standard patterns. Also, the corset will take you in another inch or two, so you should be fine. And don't worry about your hip measurement, also, as you have large skirts which make the measurement irrelevant. So I think a 12 should be fine. But I have 14 cut out in that pattern that you can use, if you feel it's too small. The muslin you make will let us know where to go with the sizing.

As for the velvet, if you can get it cheaper by the bolt, get one. That way will have lots to work, especially when it comes to dyeing it, and for any impending mistakes. :)

As for the eggplant color bridal poly, it's definitely worth consideration. But I do believe the skirt and bodice are made from satin--it's just a very expensive silk satin, which has a more matte-ified sheen that what we envision when we think of satin. Also, taffeta carries with it a rippled, watered effect and I don't see that on the skirt or bodice, where I do see it for the lining of the sleeves. But remember, if you feel it's taffeta, go with it. :)

If you have any other questions, let me know. And I will post on Monday the date for the November meeting. :)

8. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Newsflash!

Ok, guys, the next costume meeting will be November 15th. Time is yet to be determined, as well as place, but that information will be forthcoming. Please note that most meetings begin in the late morning/early afternoon, and will most likely be at my place.

Also, there is the possibility of a fabric run down to Vogue Fabrics in Evanston, IL (north of Chicago). Please post with your yeas or nays on that--it's a fun trip and is consistently fruitful for most meeting attendees in fulfilling their fabric needs. :)

Any questions? Post here or PM me! :)

9. LauedGiind

Sep 4, 2002
    Ok, I probably don't have to get a new pattern- cool! :) As for fabric, I think I will go ahead and buy the velvet later this month when all my other bills are paid. A fabric run would be a very good cause in my case so I say "Yes." I want the costume to look great so I will need other pairs of eyes to help me with fabric and color. As for the farthingale, I was reading that there might be a problem with getting it to balance without the bum roll. Hence, I was considering the bridal slip. I say whatever would be cheaper and easier is what I would take. We could go to David's Bridal (which is next to JoAnn Fabrics) and see if that would be suitable. Too bad I didn't have a bridal slip from when I got married. If it's too expensive, then I'll go with the farthingale.

10. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    As for the farthingale, I was reading that there might be a problem with getting it to balance without the bum roll. Hence, I was considering the bridal slip.

Hmmm, that's the first I've ever heard of that. I mean, when dressing in Elizabethan undergarments, the chemise goes on first, then the corset, then the farthingale, followed by the bumroll. The bumroll has nothing to do with balancing the farthingale--my guess is someone's putting their undergarments on backwards. The purpose of a bumroll is to add padding to the behind which was the fashion of that day and to hold up yards upon yards of fabric that Elizabethan skirts contain (sometimes upwards of nearly 10 yards, depending on how it is pleated; massive amounts of fabric was a sign of wealth in those times).

With this costume, your skirts are not that much in yardage, and there is no pleating, so there is no reason for a bumroll. And the skirts themselves (when properly lined) will balance the farthingale itself. If you are worried about an unbalanced farthingale, we can line the underskirt with a heavier fabric, which will stabilize the farthingale and keep it from tipping, and we can do that very easily and cheaply. I just think that a bridal slip will not have the same swing as farthingale and you will get the wrong look; plus without the boning involved in a farthingale, your bridal slip might collapse under the weight--boning ensures a good look no matter what (yes, I'm pushy when I think you should make a farthingale, but I stand by it because that's how the original was made). And in terms of price, making a fathingale will run around $30, but I did some research, and bridal slips in the size you need (even a boned slip--just like a farthingale!) will run somewhere between $50-$70. But we can work with whichever you choose. :)

The fabric run is still up in the air, but I'll keep you guys posted--remember, for those of you who haven't, post here if this is something you want to participate in. :)

11. LauedGiind

Sep 4, 2002
    Ok, you have a point. $30 is not bad so I'll go with making the farthingale then. If we run into problems, we can always fix them.

12. TwistyMaeSkywalker

TwistyMaeSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2000
    I should be able to make the costume meeting, barring any unforseen events. I work till 1 on saturdays, though, so I'll be there whenever I can.

13. Jedi_Knight_Isadore

Jedi_Knight_Isadore Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    I found some fabric for the Jocasta costume, but it needs to be dyed and I need lots of help with this. Can anyone tell me what is the best way of going about this. There is a ton of fabric, because I plan on lining the tunic and the tabards are all one piece. Thanks.

Devan

14. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Sorry I'm so pushy about the farthingale, Laura, but I always feel it's best to do a costume the way the original was made. If you would like, why don't you pick a night in the next week or so where I can come over and help you with it. Plus I found my roll of hoop wire (12 yds total) and can bring that along--you're more than welcome to purchase it off of me for $10 and save yourself ordering it (I can always get more for myself if I need to, but it's been languishing in the bottom of my closet for some time, so you're more than welcome to have it). It should take no more than two nights, mostly less if you have the pattern cut out already when I get there. Let me know when you would like to do this. :)

Good to know you'll be able to make it on Nov. 15th, Twisty! We missed you at the last one. :)

Devan, it's been a long time since I dyed anything, but we should be able to do it. First thing, get a hold of a very large metal tub with handles (try any Home Depot, Menards or other such store), although I am thinking of getting one for myself to use in the basement, so I'll let you know if I procure one (then you can use mine). I know you're in an apartment, so it may be best to do this at my house anyway.

Next, determine how much of your fabric is of natural fiber (cotton, etc.) and how much is polyester, acrylic or other. That will determine how well it will take the dye and if we need to do a hot or cold dye bath. Then we'll look into Rit dye colors to see what you'll need and work from there. We can do alot of fabric at one time (and we should regardless so it all dyes the same), and it will take at least a day or two to do, but we can do it.

Post those figures here and we'll plan a date for dying then. :)

Good to hear all of you are working hard. Keep the questions coming and prepare for the next meeting! :)

15. LauedGiind

Sep 4, 2002
    Beret, don't worry! You didn't push anything on me. You have made more costumes than I have (which is none really). I was just thinking of what would be more cheaper.
    As for the farthingale, I was going to do that after the corset was made. I have yet to cut out a pattern for it. I am planning on doing this during this week and I'm hoping work does not ask me to work a lot of overtime this week. Do I need to fix the shape of the corset? If so, I will need help with that. Anytime after Wednesday would be great for me.

16. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Laura, check your PMs! :)

Okay, guys, I have a small dilemma. As of midnight tonight, Master Replicas is releasing their 3 different versions of Leia's Thermal Detonator, each with lights and sounds: one is the limited edition (1,000 total), fully painted; another is this shiny edition (which I don't want); and the third is the signature edition, which comes with Carrie's autograph on the certificate of authenticity (750 total). The limited edition is $199 and signature edition is $299.

Now, I know Bob and I could make one ourselves, with lights (but not sounds), and a darn good one at that, for probably under $50. But that's alot of hard work, too. And it would save me a lot of time and energy for my impending Boushh costume if I simply purchased one at midnight (I mean, that's what credit cards are for, right? ;) )...

I don't know, guys--what do you think? And if I do get it, which version should I get?: the limited or signature edition? It might be best to get the signature, since I'd already be tossing it on the card, and if I'm gonna get it, why not get the whole enchilada?

Anyway, I just want your thoughts. You guys know what a stickler I am for authenticity, and what my time schedule is like...

Oh maybe I should... But it's so expensive, too... But there are only so many...

Aaaaaaaah! What's a die-hard Leia fan to do?! :_| Help me, guys!

17. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    If you're going to insist on buying theirs instead of making your own, get the limited edition.

18. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Any particular reason, aside from the fact that it's cheaper? ?[face_plain]

19. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    The reasons are thrice:

1) Do you really need another Carrie Fischer autograph?
    2) The certificate of authenticity seems pretty useless.
    3) You live on the East Side, you have a new Volvo to pay for, and there is no such thing as job security.

Personally, I'd rather make my own.

20. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Those are good reasons. No, I don't need another Carrie autograph, and yes, there is the Volkswagen payments. Although, with Bob working 12-hour shifts of late, we've done some serious recovery and are doing very well. So the money is thankfully not the issue for once.

As for making one, I had toyed with the idea. But I'm a serious perfectionist, and I don't think I could ever get it the way I want it, plus it would drive Bob nuts in the process trying to help me. So $200 in exchange for my sanity?--not too bad a deal. Plus I get sound and lights--something we probably could not replicate (especially the sound).

In the end, between your advice and an afternoon phone conversation with Bob (he thinks I should get it), I've decided the limited edition one is the one to get. So cross your fingers! 1,000 can go really fast. I'll be staying up late tonight. :)

21. Jedi_Knight_Isadore

Jedi_Knight_Isadore Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    Beret, I personally would go with the cheaper one, because you can always get it autographed later. And then the autograph would mean something. I have one of the 5000 limited editions of Neil Gaiman's American Gods, which was signed by him, but it doesn't mean as much to me as the two books personally signed to me when I met him at a convention.

Anyways, I found out the fabric I got for the Jocasta is 100% cotton. I thought it was because I found it near all the cotton muslins, but had to make sure. So just tell me what I need to do as far as dying it. Do I need to wash it before hand or do I need to wait until after it is dyed?

Thanks
    Devan

22. LauedGiind

Sep 4, 2002
    How many Carrie autographs do you have Beret? If you have enough, go for the cheaper one. I wish you good luck in getting it.

23. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Well, guys, I ordered the $199 Limited Edition Thermal Detonator this morning (so far so good--everything went through without incident). It doesn't ship until November, but that's cool. I don't mind waiting. And besides, one Carrie autograph is more than enough. Thanks for all your advice! :)

So, Devan, your fabric is 100% cotton? Perfect! That will take dye very well, and we can do it in a basic, easy dyebath. I'll start working on looking for a large tub to use in my basement, and let's plan for an evening or weekend day that's good for you to come over and do this. PM me with your dates. And start checking for RIT dyes at your grocery or drugstore (I know that Walgreens carries RIT dyes for certain--look around near the detergents), and pick the color(s) you would like. It's very inexpensive, and it comes in liquid or powder. I've used both, so either is fine.

Meanwhile, wash the fabric in hot or warm water with detergent, and do throw it in the dryer so that it does any shrinking before you dye/cut into it--natural fibers sometimes do that with the first dryer run with cotton. To minimize shrinkage, you can line dry it (if you don't have access to a clothes line, the shower curtain rod will do also--I've done that before), or use the "air only--no heat setting" of the dryer (it takes awhile, but then it shouldn't shrink much, if at all). The reason for washing it is to get all the sizing and any leftover factory soaps and such out before you dye it, so the fabric dyes better. If you have any questions or reservations, let me know. :)

Good to hear everyone's really plugging away at their creations! Keep it up and post often! :)

Edit: Just amending one of my directions. :)

24. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Good job, Beret. :)

25. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Thanks, Tom! I'm dying to get it! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.