main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* Wisconsin Fanforce Costume Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by LeiaYT1300, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    I wish you wouldn't! :(

2. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Okay, I won't.

;)

3. CaptMereel

CaptMereel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2002
    Congrats, Beret! Now I can't wait to see this prop since I've seen all the other items you have accumulated so far!

PS Regarding the Tolkien Gathering, the costume competition is being held at the same time as the marathon viewing of the 3 films on Dec 16 (in fact, it would probably conflict with the end of TTT and then ROTK)!! Can you believe that?!?! Now it causes a huge problem because our registration fee includes tickets for the marathon viewing and we had definitely planned to be part of that historic event! Arggghhhhh! I have emailed the contest coordinator and expressed my disappointment and suggested moving the costume contest to either that Monday or Wednesday of the convention days. Very disappointing to say the least! But, we shall see....

4. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    I can't wait to see it, either. And there's this little voice in my head that still can't believe I actually ordered it. Unfortunately, it doesn't ship until November, so it'll be a tough wait. :)

I suppose it's impossible not to have schedule clashes with any convention, but the costume contest up against the marathon? That's just wrong! I'll cross my fingers for you guys that maybe they'll consider a last minute change, especially if you already have tickets for the marathon. Have fun in Toronto! :)

5. Lobot_82

Lobot_82 Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2003
    Hi there,

Does anyone know where I could find the helmet that Luke and Leia wear in "Return of the Jedi". I tried looking online, but haven't had much luck.

Thanks,
    Andrew

6. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Well, Andrew, this is one of those articles that you will more than likely have to make yourself (unless you luck out and find someone selling their version on Ebay). The good thing is there is a website that identifies the main components so you can keep an eye out for them.

Check out the Rebel Soldier at The Parts of Star Wars--it's a good place to start. If you have any other questions, post them here. Hope that link at least sets you in the right direction. And if you find a source for those WWII summer flight helmets, let us know (I've considered doing one for my Leia Endor outfit, although it's not high on my list since she only wears it for half the time, but I'm sure there are others in the group who would be interested, too!). :)

7. Lobot_82

Lobot_82 Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2003
    Thanks for the suggestions. I skimmed the Web and couldn't find anything. But I'll look some more when I get the chance to really spend sometime searching.

Andrew

8. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Glad I could be of help, Andrew, and best of luck in your search. :)

9. Jedi_Knight_Isadore

Jedi_Knight_Isadore Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    Okay, I've been working on the cloak for the hippy Jedi costume, but I am running into a problem, all the stuff is making it heavy. I want to add more but I am starting to get scared that it will eventually be too heavy to wear. Any suggestions... Anyone? I will bring it to the meeting on the 15th (if we are still doing it)

Oh and about the costume meeting, I did ask off of work, so I will be there (unless my idiot manager doesn't see my note and schedules me for that day). Are we going to do a road trip of it, or just hang out? Well see you on the 15th.

Devan

10. Rogue_Eleven

Rogue_Eleven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2002
    All right.

I've been thinking for a very long time about Stormtrooper armor. Specifically, how completely cool it would be to have some. However, this presents a rather large problem. The armor I find for sale on ebay is entirely for people 5'6" and taller. I am 5'4" and I realize I'm a little short for a stormtrooper (*groan*) and I have no idea how to assemble my own. What I know if the process is that it's incredibly complicated and involves something called a vacuum table, and some fume-ful plastics, and... it's a lot scarier than a meadow picnic dress, I'll say that.

So has anyone undertaken this process who might be able to offer some advice? I just feel all warm and fuzzy whenever I see stuff the 501st is up to.

11. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Devan, what and how much have you added to it? Maybe you need to do some rearranging...? I guess I need some more details to help you. :)

As things stand, we are still having a meeting at my place on the 15th, beginning at about noon. So far as I know, these are the attendees: Leslie, Twisty, Devan, Laura and myself. If anyone else is interested, please post here so I can add you to the attendee list and send address/directions if you've never been to my place before.

As for a trip down to Evanston to Vogue Fabrics, that depends on if only enough people show that can fit into one car attend and what people's thoughts are when we all gather initially. In any case, be prepared to travel down and have your fabric shopping lists handy if we do just in case.

Welcome to the thread, Jessie! :) Trooper armor in a smaller size is probably going to be difficult, but not impossible. I myself know little about it, and have never vacuum-formed anything in my life, so unfortunately I cannot help you there (although I did once find a tutorial on vacuum-forming--I'll post that link as soon as I can find it for you).

Two good people in the group to ask about trooper armor and how to get started are Auraveda (Dawn) and Outlander_ (Jason). Both have obtained trooper armor in the last year, so they both know the ropes, and may also be able to pass on some insight into who might also be able to help out with smaller trooper armor.

Another way to start would be to hit the 501st's discussion boards (I would be surprised if they didn't have any of their own) or you can post a topic in the JC Costuming Boards--someone there will certainly be able to point you in the right direction to get started. But do read the FAQ at the top of the Costuming Boards page first, in case there are any links there that can save you time.

Also, try Obi-Wan's Jedi Academy Trooper Costuming Tips for some links. You can email them also for directions.

Hope this helps you get onto the right path and keep us posted on the developments. :)

12. LauedGiind

LauedGiind Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    I am definitely needing help chooing my fabrics for the rest of the dress. A road trip is in order for me.

13. Jedi_Knight_Isadore

Jedi_Knight_Isadore Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    I am having problems finding the lace for the Padme Corset dress. That would be the only fabric I would be looking for. I would definally be up for a road trip, and I get paid the day before, so I would actually have some money.

Devan

14. TwistyMaeSkywalker

TwistyMaeSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2000
    I have to work Saturday morning, so I'll be there about 1:30, Beret. I'd take off, but I'm short on hours as it is this week, since I have a play I'm working on.

15. Rogue_Eleven

Jul 25, 2002
    Thanks for the ideas, I'm going to check out the 501st's message boards tomorrow, I think. :) It just seems like such an overwhelimg venture, I hope I can figure something out.

16. CaptMereel

CaptMereel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2002
    I would suggest, if you want to go to Vogue on the 15th AND have a meeting/show-n-tell, it would be best to hit Vogue in the morning just after opening. This would mean leaving around 9-9:30AM from Milwaukee. I don't need any fabric at the moment so I would meet everyone at Beret's when you return from the shopping trip. I will keep in touch with Beret about this.

Besides, I have a vet appointment for Ramses that morning at 8AM and trying to then get to Milwaukee in time to meet everyone will be close to impossible.

17. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Having done some discussing and thinking on this, below is the final schedule for the costume meeting on the 15th:

For those interested in going down to Evanston for fabric, please arrive at my house no later than 9am Saturday morning. From there, we are hopping into one car and driving down. Do bring cash as we may stop for something to eat on the way back depending on the group's consensus. And don't forget your list of fabrics that you are looking for. We'll only have about an hour or so there, so have it ready. Having been to the Vogue fabrics in Evanston a few times, I can help you find what you're looking for easily.

For those interested in attending the meeting session afterwards, please arrive at my place no earlier than 2:30pm, to give the rest of us time to get back to Milwaukee. This meeting will continue as long as people wish.

As always, bring stuff for show and tell if you have it, bring your questions and concerns, along with your new costume ideas for discussion. I will supply some munchies and a 2-liter of Diet Coke, but if you would like to ingest/imbibe something more specific, please bring it.

So that's it, guys! Any questions, post them here or pm me. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone. :)

18. LauedGiind

Sep 4, 2002
    Hey, I am looking for a guy to go as Anakin with me. I am planning to unveil my Padme costume at Celebration III and I would like an Anakin by my side. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

19. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Can I be fat, dorky Anakin?

20. LauedGiind

Sep 4, 2002
    Actually, Tom, Beret and I have said that you would make a good Chewbacca. This is the Milwookies, correct? We need to represent ourselves and have a Wookie costume in the group. You have the correct height for it. Would you consider it?

21. Rogue_Eleven

Jul 25, 2002
    Just out of curiosity, are you all planning a trip to Celebration III? My sister and I decided that Celebration II was much too cool for us to have missed out on and we will not let it happen again. We're Celebration III bound, if I have anything to say about it. We'll be a pair of Padmes. :)

22. LauedGiind

Sep 4, 2002
    Yeah, we're planning to go together. I might be living somewhere else by the time Celebration III rolls around but I plan to be heading back to the states to party with my friends at Celebration III. My husband is in the Army and got assigned to a base in Wurzberg, Germany. At this moment, he is in Iraq and this all happened before I had a chance to move to Germany. Well, I've met some cool people here who have the same interests as me and I would not pass the opportunity to be with them at Celebration III.
    Last time at Celebration II, I did not go in costume and I missed out on some fun. I do plan on starting with the purple Senate gown for Padme but I am thinking about doing other ones as long as it can be funded properly. Rogue Eleven- you should come to the next costume meeting on Saturday. What Padme costume are you doing?

23. Rogue_Eleven

Jul 25, 2002
    I made an attempt at the picnic dress last year, but I'd like to revise it a little and make it a bit more accurate. I've also got a run of the mill ANH Leia costume from two years ago which I still love.

I would love to go to the costuming meeting, but I'm in La Crosse at school right now. :( I've got to work 5 am to 1 pm Saturday, so I'd be pretty late if I were to drive home. I'm hoping that a meeting coincides with some weekend during my holiday break so I can just stop in and introduce myself - but I'd have to get going on a new costume really fast if I were going to have something to show!

Prayers to your family and husband - that's a stressful situation.

24. LauedGiind

Sep 4, 2002
    Rogue-Eleven: When is your holiday break? Also thank you for your kind words.

25. Rogue_Eleven

Jul 25, 2002
    December 16th (just in time to pop home and see Return of the King on the Ultrascreen - yay!) through... I believe January 26th. I'll be working in La Crosse, but without school it'll be easier to come home when I want to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.