*Official* Wisconsin Fanforce Costume Thread

Discussion in 'Milwaukee, WI' started by LeiaYT1300, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I'm sorry you won't be able to make this Saturday's meeting, Rogue_Eleven. But thanks for posting your holiday break dates. I will keep them in mind when I plan the next meeting, which may or may not be until early January, depending on people's holiday commitments.

Hope to see you at the next meeting. And do bring your costumes as well--we'd love to see them! A fair number of us are heading to CIII in costume so you'll be in good company. :)

2. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Master

star 5
    I won't be able to attend this Saturday either. I have to help give my mother a heart attack at her surprise 60th birthday party.
  3. Rogue_Eleven Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Beret - Don't worry at all about trying to figure out a day to have a meeting when I've got break. I figure it's a long break and hopefully something will coincide, but if not that's all right too. I'd just like to meet everyone at some point - I feel like a complete amateur compared to all of you! :) Maybe you can help me out.

I hope you all have a good meeting this weekend!
  4. LauedGiind Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Rogue-Eleven: I am a complete idiot when it comes to sewing. If I walk into a fabric store like Joann Fabrics it would take me an hour just to find a quilt pin. Thank the heavens for Beret who is helping me understand how to sew clothes and helping me with my costume. All I ever knew before was to sew small pillows and stuffed animals. I finished my corset and my farthingale is close to being finished. We are suppose to work on the bodice next so this should be interesting.
  5. Jedi_Knight_Isadore Jedi Youngling

star 1
    um...*hides hidiously bad jedi tunic behind back* We are not even going to talk about all the mistakes I've made. I am suprised I was able to complete anything and make it look half way decent.

My suggestion is to keep at it. if you make a mistake, then take it out and start again. Remember seam rippers are your friends.

Devan
  6. Rogue_Eleven Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Hee hee. Know what I was thinking of doing for my almost-in-progress Jedi costume? Using my old karate top thing for my outer tunic. What a cheater. ;) If I can't figure anything else out (like how to actually make a tunic), I may just have to do that. I think I've got enough time before Celebration III, though, that I should be able to come up with something passable. At least, I hope. The Leia costume did turn out very well, even though the fabric isn't quite right.
  7. LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    True, there is enough time before CIII, Rogue_Eleven, but it will go fast, so beware! I'm already aghast that it's almost 2004, and where I'm at with my own costumes, all I can say is I better get crackin'! Making a Jedi tunic is rather easy when it comes to SW costuming in general, and Simplicity already put out a knock-off pattern that is easily alterable, so I suggest giving it a go. :)

Ok, for those coming to the fabric run, don't forget to be at my place by 9am and bring your lists! For those coming to the meeting afterwards, be there about 2:30pm. I will have Diet Coke and munchies (chips and salsa, and cut veggies with dip). And don't forget to bring your costumes for show along with your ideas for future projects. We'll be discussing anything and everything costume-related (or even not related). :)

If you have any last minute questions or concerns, please post here or PM me. I'll be checking the boards early in the morning, just in case. See you all tomorrow! :)
  8. TwistyMaeSkywalker Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Looks like I'll have to sit this one out yet again. :mad: My parents forgot to inform me of the fact that we're going to a family gathering today at 3pm.

This is so annoying. Sorry!
  9. LauedGiind Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Parents always get in the way, don't they?

Thanks Beret for driving us to Chicago. I really was happy that you could help me with my costume's satin fabric. :)

I was wondering which fabric that Lake dress was made out of? Was it silk or the Georgette material? I am not sure if the Georette material is synthetic material.
  10. LauedGiind Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Beret- I scrunched the top hoop wire to make it fit in the twill tape and it seems way too small. I am afraid the dress won't lay right. Is it possible to bring some extra hoop wire when you stop by Tuesday just incase we need a longer wire?
  11. LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I'm sorry we missed you, Twisty--we wondered what happened. But it's all good. Hopefully you can make the next one! :)

Laura, check your PMs. :)

As for the Lake gown, I'm not quite certain it's a georgette, only because that might be a little thick, but there are many different thicknesses of georgette (known as mommes--for example, a 3mm[or 3momme] is almost transparent, while a 10mm[or 10momme] is much thicker). Also georgette can either be made from a natural fiber, like silk, or a synthetic fiber, like polyester. Whether or not we would use silk would depend on our dye results. In short, when you're ready to start this costume, the first thing we'll do is collect various swatches, and test dye them, comparing the results with their drape effect in order to decide on what we'll use. :)

On another note, so you are all aware, I will be announcing the next meeting in a couple of weeks, and it will be sometime in early January. Whether or not this will include another fabric run is yet to be determined, but do keep the possibility in mind. :)

12. LauedGiind Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Hey, I saw how some people were applying the dye for the Lake dress. Some were using a spray bottle to control how strong or how light they wated the color to be. It is an idea to try out once we are ready to do that. I also saw that the pattern that was used for a number of girls' Lake Dresses was not being made anymore. I was wondering if there was a way around this.
  13. LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    A spray bottle is a good, inexpensive alternative to air brushing the dye on, but admittedly, I think air brush would be better if we can do it, only because you get a constant, steady spray that we can control more easily, which will also spread the dye more evenly. But a good idea to keep in mind.

As for the pattern, we'll find a new one--no problem. The basic halter sheath is a pattern that never goes out of style, so it should be no trouble to find another one. And if by some strange trick of fate we don't find one, we'll create it. :)
  14. LauedGiind Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Well, I have been working on my bodice today and my cats are driving me crazy! Every five minutes they are getting into something or going somewhere where they shouldn't be. I put them in the bedroom and they start to cry. I need to scream right now...ARGH!!!!!
    Ok, thanks I needed that. Just needed to get that out to keep my sanity. Ok, most of the lining is sewn. I have cut the pieces from the satin. Yay!!! At least I got something accomplished today. :)
  15. LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Good to hear, Laura! Did you order the 1mm rattail cord yet? Just curious. You're really running in high gear now. :)

Still waiting on the thermal detonator. They're supposed to email me to let me know it's in the mail. I already contacted them to confirm my order but there is no exact ship date--they just keep saying some time this month. So I wait. *sigh* Well, hopefully soon after Thanksgiving...

I know the holidays are approaching, guys, and it's the perfect time to let things slide for a while, but keep up all the hard work and post here often with your progress. In my experience, vacation time is the best time to do some catching up. :)
  16. LauedGiind Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Have not forgot about the cord and will order it tonight. Still trying to get the rest of the lining finished.
  17. LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Cool! I hope I don't seem the pest, but I always ask about things like, just in case. And don't forget that it has the be the 1mm wide cord, otherwise it won't work. But I'm sure you know that--just being the nagging seamstress! ;)

Hope everyone else's stuff is doing well! Keep chiming in from time to time! :)
  18. Jedi_Knight_Isadore Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Hey all,

I just want to inform everyone that the JoAnn Fabrics next to Southridge in the Greenfield Fashion Center is moving, and everything is on sale. So if you are looking for small stuff, and maybe some fabrics, try there. You may save a buck or three.

I got a bunch of stuff, and only paid $55 for everything.

Oh, I was wondering something for the Elrond costume. I found that the salmon robe was made from dupioni silk. Do you think a rose colored satin would work, because unless I make another trip down to a better fabric store, there is no way I will find silk here. Just wondering.

Devan
  19. LauedGiind Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I made the overskirt and used 4 yards of muslin like you suggested, Beret. It seems a little big and may have too many pleats that would ruin the smoothness that the satin should have. We may need to alter it someway. I'm not going to touch it until you look at it.
  20. LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Devan, I think satin might too shiny for your Elrond (unless you find a more matte satin, like Laura is using for her costume). But I think the rough slubs in the dupioni make a great texture, and you may really want to recreate that. I know for a fact that you can get polyester dupioni at any JoAnn's (ask someone at the cutting table if you can look through their Special Occasion fabrics swatch book--it should be available in a fair range of colors, and should be relatively affordable, something like around $10 a yard). If you come up empty-handed with that, the next thing you can do is order it over the net. A great place for silk of any kind is Thai Silks, and they do offer pre-dyed silks as well, so give them a try.

Btw, did you get my email detailing the info on Legolas boots that you might be able to substitute for Elrond boots? Just curious... :)

Laura, check your pms. The underskirt should be fine, but we can double check it most easily if you like when I next see you. :)

Keep up the good work, guys! I myself am back on the Bespin embroidery upgrade and am finally making some good progress. :)
  21. LauedGiind Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I got the purple cord for the trim today. I will test it out by tommorow to see if it works. Lets keep our fingers crossed!
  22. LauedGiind Jedi Youngling

star 2
    The purple cord may be too light. :( We may want to dye it.
  23. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Master

star 5
    You gals may find this interesting.
  24. LauedGiind Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Beret- Don't worry about the dye job on the cord. Actually the one cut piece was lightening up as it was drying that I decided to unbury the rest of the cording that we tried to dye. Maybe it's hope but I want to see if it actually becomes the color we are looking for. If not, I still had fun learning how to dye so it is not a total bust. :) I am so happy that we found the coat lining today. :) I wonder how long it will remain on sale for half off though.
  25. LauedGiind Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Ok, I am a little upset with myself. I have not been able to sew a stitch since the surgery on Friday night. I have been sleeping, drugged, or feeling sick to my stomach. I am going to try tommorow night to get things done but I will need to take it easy tonight to get better. It will be like using hyperdrive tommorow.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.