main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* Wisconsin Fanforce Costume Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by LeiaYT1300, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Darn it! I would love to see him!

Oh well, fitting punishment for not making the con... :(

2. Amber_eyes

Amber_eyes Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2001
    You should be able to find Han in here:
    http://www.destinyfroste.addr.com/con/filmcon4/filmcon4.htm

3. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Thanks for posting the link, Amber_eyes. He's got a fantastic costume. :)

4. LauedGiind

LauedGiind Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    I like the picture of the shirtless Han! :)

5. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    Yeah. That pic is HOT.

6. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Well, guys, the Ceremonial Gown is done! I almost can't believe it myself, nor can I believe that, aside from the research, the construction only took about two weeks (granted, there were lots of sleepless nights in those two weeks, but still two weeks nonetheless--just shows what I could do if I didn't need to work full time! ;) ).

So, the link to my Yahoo! photoalbum is in my sig below; just click and you'll find the Ceremonial gown album. Despite the swiftness with which it was made, it was surprisingly difficult in terms of construction (lots of headaches involved!), and I would say I learned many lessons in the process, but it was worth the hard work, and I think it turned out rather well, considering. Hope you like it! I'll be sure to model it at the next costume meeting. :)

7. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    WOW. Beret, that is amazing. You are just a goddess of costuming. I bow to you. *insert bowing icon here*

8. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Aw shucks! [face_blush] Thanks! :)

9. Jedi_Knight_Isadore

Jedi_Knight_Isadore Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    I get caught up in RL and I get compliments. Thanks all for saying my costume was good.

Beret, the gown looks great. Congrats on doing it.

Devan

10. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Well, it's been a bit since there's been some posts. 'Guess it's time to bump it up. But also, JediJoe has expressed some interest in costumes to me, especially in the realm of Luke costuming, and I would like to address those here. So, when you see this, Joe, please add your thoughts.

We discussed the Luke's ceremonial togs. A pretty basic costume, mirroring Han's in many ways (brown pants, black German riding boots, classic holster with sporting blaster, black shirt similar in design to Han's). In short, the only trick with this costume is the yellow jacket. This jacket is a modified British racing jacket and to find one is difficult (I only say one once on Ebay and it was blue). This jacket can be replicated, but it would be a time-consuming venture (not necessarily expensive--depends on if you use jacket leather or not). So it's jacket that presents the major issues in this costume. Go here for more Luke ceremonial info: Parts of SW - Luke Ceremonial info

As for the Luke ROTJ, I've only seen it once, and that was at C2. Plus, that one was done well. I think many people choose to do Old Republic Jedi togs, as it is much easier to sew for the novice, based off of the basic kimono style--nice, blocky and simple. Make an inner and outer set, make a rectangle for a obi and tabards, get belt, boots and add a pair of khakis, and voila! But Luke's togs are more fitted, especially the large placket tunic (the collar that "hangs" open toward the end of the film). That takes some serious tailoring and fitting, and a fair majority won't do that.

So, there are a few ways to get a costume done for yourself.

1.) Make it yourself (either you already know how to sew, or you're willing to learn). A number of us are doing this already in the group.

2.) Get a relative to do it, someone with sewing experience.

3.) Hire a seamstress locally to make it for you.

4.) Comb the internet/Ebay and see if anyone is selling the garments you need or will make them for you (hiring someone over the internet is not something I recommend unless they are well established, and you know other people who have used them; in short, there are some good seamstresses out there, but more often than not, you can really get taken).

With those avenues in mind, Joe, decide which costume you would like to do, and begin to explore those avenues. :)

So, which do you like best? I think the Luke ROTJ is the least problematic, as all the garments can be made easily. But, I've never seen a Luke ceremonial costume thus far in my time in fandom, so it would be worth the trial, agony and expense to do it, because it is so rare. :)

11. JediJoeMadman

JediJoeMadman Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2004
    "Impressive. Most impressive."

So what does it cost to put some of those costumes (props aside)together? I'm working on a real limited budget (right now, no budget, damn groceries)but I don't think that a Jedi Luke Costume would be too terribly costly.

12. LauedGiind

Sep 4, 2002
    Depending on the material, the cost of the costume can fluctuate. If you really want to do a good Luke costume, I would suggest to get the best fabric since it makes a world of difference. Some of the Padme gowns I have seen have lost their luster when they are not the correct material. For instance, some Padme Ep. II Purple Senate gowns have been made too shiny and gaudy to pull off the proper effect that the dress needs. That is why I am being properly trained by Beret to get decent material of fabric.
    If you choose to sew it yourself, you get used to poking yourself with needles and pins. I KNOW and it really hurts. I just started sewing on my first costume since around October and I am more than half way done. I should get pictures of it in the works for refrences anyway and I could show you my costume. I just would not like to post them on public boards yet since I like to keep how I am doing my costume a secret and I know Beret agrees with me on this.
    If you don't want to sew it yourself though, I suggest hiring Beret for it. She is excellent at it. Hands down. I am just a Padawan learner and I have already 3 more costumes of my own to do after this one plus Twisty's handmaiden costume that I need to go with the purple Senate gown.

13. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Laura brings up a good point, Joe. The fabric can really make the costume. Good fabric = big bucks. My Leia Bespin gown is the most expensive costume I've ever produced ($1200 and counting); however, I wanted this costume to be as authentic as possible, using silk for the fabric and the embroidery floss, having the silks hand-dyed for correct color matching, and such. And really, in the case of Padme and Leia costumes, it's far more tough to cheat with cheap fabric than it can be with other costumes.

But not all costumes are so demanding. You can really get away with using inexpensive fabrics on other costumes, especially in the men's costumes, if you do your homework, and shop around, locally and online. Great fabrics can be found on sale, and some cheaper synthetic versions can be just as fantastic. It all comes down to saavy shopping and sleuthing.

Then, there is the fiber debate to consider: natural vs. synthetic. If you don't mind sweating a little and want to save money, rayon and polyester fabrics can be your friends. But sometimes, poly and rayon look too fake or overdone (some fabrics just can't be faked well, like linen or satin), and you want to be able to breathe in a costume (Jedis with all those layers especially need that). Then you spend a little more and opt for natural fabrics like cotton or silk. So, again, you have to shop around and take notes when you find something that might work.

For the Luke ROTJ costume, it can definitely be made from polyester (I figure a poly gabardine), since it's all black/midnight blue (dark colors always mask more than light colors). And there's only a couple of layers: his tunic, his pants, the short tabards/obi (although it might be more of a vest than tabards...), and the cloak (which not necessary for the look--he hardly keeps it on long enough in the film anyway), so the chances of boiling in it are slim. You could very well get away with spending under $100 in materials, especially if you were to locate the perfect pants at a thrift store or other such (this figure doesn't count boots--I recommend combing the internet for surplus German riding boots, which can be had at a good price, as long as your shoe size doesn't go past a men's 12--or the belt).

Essentially, if you want to do this costume, your first task is to start researching. Get as many pics as you can lay your hands on. Study those pics and begin jotting down notes on all the details, great or small. And start drawing the various components involved, so that you can break down the costume effectively. Once you have that done, you start coming up with ways to get those components--pants, tunic, tabards/obi, etc. Comb the thrift stores, look for patterns if you have to sew from scratch, and look for fabrics that are similar, searching the local JoAnn's or Hancock fabric stores.

Edit:

Before I forget, the costume group meetings are every couple of months or so, and many of those meetings include a fabric run (either locally or down to Chicago) or a thrift store run (locally), where we shop together, discuss our costumes, and in general, commiserate. You are always welcome to join us. At the moment, there will be no meeting until late April (just waiting for warmer weather). I will be sure to post the next meeting date on this thread, so keep your eyes peeled in April. :)

14. JediRacer8

JediRacer8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 26, 2004
    LeiaYT1300,

I was skimming the thread when I read your mention of a Leia Bespin gown. Do you have any photos of your gown? I have always loved that particular costume.

Have you, or anyone else here, made the yellow dress Padme wore on Naboo in Ep2? I saw one for sale on ebay last fall but it wasn't very accurate.

15. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Click on the link in her signature. There is a gallery of pictures there that were taken during GenCon 2002, where she entered her Bespin gown in the costume contest. (We won't discuss the travesty of judgement which followed.)

Beret is still working on completing the costume, but it's still more than enough to impress ignorant troglodytes like me.

16. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Yup, just click the link in my sig, and you'll find the folder with the pics. It's a fabulous and rewarding costume, but it's been a very difficult and tedious process. I'm still updating it (realized there was a 5th color, so I had some reworking to do, and I'll be darkening the red garments with an overlay of brick red chiffon soon, since it came out too pink, initially), as the rest of the group knows, since I tend to bring it along to group gatherings (I gab while I stitch).

There will be a costume meeting by month's end, if you would like to attend. Keep an eye out here for announcement. Meanwhile, I know you are planning to attend the next book club meeting, to which I should be showing up, so we can talk more then, too. :)

17. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Beret is still working on completing the costume, but it's still more than enough to impress ignorant troglodytes like me.

Thanks, Tom. That's very sweet. [face_blush] :)

18. jedisister

jedisister Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 2001
    Hey Beret! I just checked out your album and girl I gotta say that both your Bespin and the Ceremonial gowns are absolutely amazing!!! Both are so well done and truly look to be the real costume!! I knew you were good, but you should like get a job in costuming, you are more than good at it! Awesome job!

19. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Thanks, Tracey! [face_blush] :D It's my hope to go into business for myself one day (because I love it and then I can stay home with my kids and avoid daycare, if it proves lucrative enough). :)

20. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    Your costumes are great, I can't imagine being able to sew anything that well. I really like the Arwen costume too. I like how you kept the hairstyles authentic as well.

I don't know how to sew myself (bad considering I worked in a fabric department and know a lot about it) but I'd like to come to a meeting sometime to see everyone's projects. All I have of my own is a white cape and wig I used as Leia once for Halloween.

21. LauedGiind

Sep 4, 2002
    Hey Jediracer 8-

I am planning on doing the over done picnic dress from Episode II. I already have the shawl material for it but I don't plan to be doing it for quite sometime. I have been making my Purple Padme Senate gown from Episode II. The bodice is pretty much done except that I have not been very satisfied with the dye job the sleeves have been turning out. Therefore, I have been looking to use other material and hopefully it won't need to be dyed. Blah! I am already tired of dye and I have not dyed the jacket yet! But the skirt and the undergarments are also completed on it. I will also be at the book club meeting along with any costume club meetings.

22. CaptMereel

CaptMereel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2002
    Hi Racer,
    Beret is such an exceptional seamstress that she should be doing this for a living!

The Arwen costume on her site she made for me and that's me in the picture...if you come to the book club meeting on the 18th I'll show you both that costume and the Sith costume she also made for me plus some more professional pics of me in the Arwen riding outfit.

Laura, if you want, bring your Padme gown so we can see the progress from the last book club meeting!

23. JAKEFETT

JAKEFETT Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2003
    Nice pictures Beret
    If you ever do go into business, let me know. I've always wanted a black sith robe. Did you make that Nazgul costume also?

24. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Thanks, JediRacer8! You should definitely come to one of our costume meetings, if you can. I recommend everyone should try sewing at least once--it's a rewarding endeavor. :)

And do bring your costume, Laura, to the book club meeting--at least the bodice, now that it's nearly finished. It turned out fantastic, imo! And don't worry about the sleeves--I have a feeling it will all work out very soon. :)

Jakefett, I've been taking commissions since 2002, but I'm booked until after C3 (I have to make time for my costumes as well as others for the convention, plus my wedding gown for October). But let's talk after C3--I'd be more than happy to make a Sith cloak for you. I have done one Sith Lord costume (a modified Darth Maul ensemble for CaptMereel) and an Obi-Wan Ep. II ensemble as well. (I have some pics of them around here somewhere--when I find them, I'll upload them to my Yahoo! photoalbum so you can see). Any particular Sith Lord cloak in mind? Maul? Palpatine? :)

25. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    Laura, the purple gown is also very pretty and I haven't seen that one as a costume yet either. Are you making the headpiece to go with that one as well? I love that yellow picnic dress and would love to see some pics when you do get started on it.

I would love to see the Arwen costume at the meeting next weekend. The meeting is at your house CaptMareel, right?

And I would love to come to a costume meeting sometime Beret even though I don't know how to sew. I know a lot about it and can recommend sewing supplies thanks to my old job, but just don't know how to do it myself. I'm working on learning to cook so I could try to learn some sewing too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.