*Official* Wisconsin Fanforce Costume Thread

Discussion in 'Milwaukee, WI' started by LeiaYT1300, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LauedGiind Jedi Knight

star 2
    JediRacer8- I am making EVERYTHING with that purple Senate Gown. I will do it all if it kills me!

I will bring it to the book club meeting.
  2. JediRacer8 Jedi Master

star 2
    Great, I can't wait to see what you have done!
  3. JAKEFETT Jedi Knight

star 2
    Beret

I think a general black sith cloak would be fine. I'm probably too tall for Maul anyway. However, I am interested so if there is a way to put my name on a list, count me in.

Thanks
    Jake
  4. LeiaYT1300 Jedi Knight

star 3
    JediRacer8, Leslie (aka CaptMereel) is holding the book club meeting at her place, and I'm certain she'd be more than happy to show you the Arwen costume. :)

JakeFett, ok, I've got you down for late summer 2005 for a Sith cloak. However, I can do a Maul cloak, if you like, down to detail. I did one for Leslie's Maul costume as well, and still have the pattern for it. It would just need to be slightly altered to fit your height, among other small things. But we can talk more about it next year, when we begin. However, with the wedding and CIII sucking my brain cells dry, do give me a verbal smack upside the head as a reminder, as late summer 2005 draws near. :)

Oh, and yes, I did the Nazgul you see in my photoalbum, also (except, of course, for the armor--that was made by a professional armorer). :)
  5. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  6. LeiaYT1300 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Very interesting...

Some pics I wish he hadn't posted (*shudder*), but I gotta give him credit for a relatively good job.
  7. LauedGiind Jedi Knight

star 2
    Beret-

If you are backed up with other costumes and you are still getting requests, I would be happy to help you out. Let's talk about it on Tuesday night when we get together.
  8. Rogue_Eleven Jedi Knight

star 1
    Phew, it's been a long time since I was here. *blush* Sure nobody remembers me since I'm really good at disappearing. Anyway, I wanted to say that I'll be... still not here for the next couple weeks, but I have been checking in every once in a while to see what you're all up to. I am graduating from UW - La Crosse in May, and will then be moving back to Waukesha. I've got to find a full-time job and my own apartment, but since I'm looking in the Milwaukee area, I think I'll FINALLY be able to participate in the costumey fun. If that's all right. :)

Woo for being done with school!
  9. LeiaYT1300 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Of course, Rogue_Eleven, you are always welcome. Congrats on your upcoming graduation! :)

There was supposed to be a costume meeting this month, but I was waiting for the weather to warm up a bit, if we decided to hit the thrift stores or head to Chicago for fabrics again. And I'm planning to make my wedding gown (the wedding's in October), on top of the usual planning involved, so there's been little time. But I'm hoping to have the next meeting by the end of May. Good luck on the job hunt! :)

Laura, I'll see you tonight! :)
  10. Rogue_Eleven Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thank you and thank you! Wow, you're making your wedding gown? That is so, so awesome. I'm sure it'll be beautiful, having seen some of your other projects!
  11. Photosynthesis Jedi Knight

star 1
    okay..........I'm going to reinvent my Darth Vader costume. I used to work at American Science and Surplus (many moons ago) and the heat-molded plastic technique I used for the armor plates yielded a mottled and not so uniform surface. The red LED's were great, but I didn't have them set to alternate. They remained lit constantly. My ex-girlfriend ruined the costume by spilling paint on it, and I think it's time to start anew. It was 1999 when I last donned the original opus, now sitting in a pile of garbage in my ex's basement, and I think I can make the next one better. I've heard of fiberglass vacuum molding as a way of making armor and such. Any insight?

12. Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Vadermaker.com is a sweet costume site. BYOB_Kenobi that Tron costume is amazing. I'm going to try and rebuild my old Boba Fett costume.

13. LauedGiind Jedi Knight

star 2
    Just to let you guys know how my costume is coming:
    My bodice is close to completion and I only need to add the first sleeves to it. We have the underskirt, the skirt, and the corset completed. I am currently working on the tabard embroidery. The mock-up jacket is almost completed and we need to add the piping lines before we cut or dye the velvet. The wing sleeves were not too much of a pain to do. It is turning out to be gorgeous.
    When it comes to dying the velvet, we are also going to dye the Lake Dress too. i am so hoping the dying for the Lake Dress turns out ok. I am already sick of dye for the first set of sleeves that goes to the Senate Gown's purple dress.
  14. JediRacer8 Jedi Master

star 2
    Is that the lake dress that has a silvery top with the yellow/pink skirt? That dress is really pretty, good luck!
  15. LauedGiind Jedi Knight

star 2
  16. LauedGiind Jedi Knight

star 2
    Beret-

Are you going to have time next week to have a get together to work on the costume? I know that Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday are fine to get together next week.
  17. LeiaYT1300 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Actually, funny you should ask, as I was going to bring it up with you at the book club meeting tomorrow. How does Monday sound? :)

And on another costuming note, there has been a postponement of fabric/thrift store trips until Bob and I get hitched. I apologize, but I am just too swamped with my wedding gown and current commissions to lead anything major at the moment. [face_tired] However, if anyone has a pressing costuming matter, please do not hesitate to post it here and I will try to help you as best I can. Also, keep on posting here just to update us on all your own projects. :)
  18. LauedGiind Jedi Knight

star 2
  19. JediRacer8 Jedi Master

star 2
    How hard do you girls think it would be to do a Mara costume? It doesn't seem to be too detailed. Black bodysuit, boots, a cloak, plus accessories. I would like to try a costume but don't want to tackle anything too difficult at first. I may be able to get my mom to do the sewing.
  20. r2fu2 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    would anyone know a good place to get liquid latex(used to make masks) at a good price i was wanting to make a hutt costume for C3 and wanted to try to keep the cost down
  21. LeiaYT1300 Jedi Knight

star 3
    The basic Mara costume is actually quite easy to construct with materials you can purchase here and there. As for the cape, with the profusion of Star Wars and LOTR knock-off costume patterns abounding, it's easy to make one with little sewing experience. So, if you want to do this, my advice is to start with picture reference--hunt them down and study them like mad. Determine what you need in terms of clothing and accessories and go from there. If you need help getting any specific items, post your queries here. :)

As for latex, start with the hobby stores in your area, or call stores that deal in theatrical supplies. :)

Hope that helps and sorry about the delay in answering. Now that the museum has denied us web surfing privileges at any time during business hours (even if we are on break or lunch), I can't get on until after 5pm, and these days, I'm so busy after work with the wedding gown and all, that my chances of getting on and posting are getting slim. But I promise to come here as often as I can despite. :)
  22. JediRacer8 Jedi Master

star 2
    I would like to do the black suit with the purple cape, but I'm not necessarily going for an exact replica of the comic book. I have seen some fan artist renditions of her that give her a slightly sexier look that I like better, and I think I may try for some of that in my costume. I found a black catsuit on ebay that is similar but laces up the front of the top like a corset. My thought was that I could purchase it and then modify it to suit my needs. I thought that might be a good way to learn some basic altering and sewing skills. Or do you think working from scratch would work better?

The cape should be fairly easy due to the overabundance of patterns out there, and I could probably get my mom to assist with that if needed. I can purchase and modify some boots. Have you worked on boots or shoes before? I'm not too sure what materials I would need for that.

23. LauedGiind Jedi Knight

star 2
    Sara- Is it possible to get a picture of the rendition of the Mara Jade costume you are talking about? I don't read the comic books that have her in it and I have never seen the artist's rendition of the costume so a picture would help me with suggestions. :)
  24. JediRacer8 Jedi Master

star 2
    Beret, I actually saw some liquid latex on a few websites I checked out. I found a few adult costume sites that have some latex and pvc catsuits that may work with some modification. Tonight I am going to check the Halloween shop that just opened for the season here in town and see if they have anything I can work with.

Laura, I found a few pics online of her outfits.

http://www.rebelscum.com/darkhorse_marajade.asp

http://www.decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/enhancedjabbaspalace/dark/large/marajadetheempoereshand.html

There is also her action figure for reference, along with a few aritst's renditions I have. No two versions of her black leather outfit are exactly the same. Decipher made her cape purple, while in the comics it is tan. That gives me a little room to work with it.

You girls are the pros so any advice is appreciated.
  25. Soliss Jedi Padawan

I hate to but in but have you ever had the pleasure of working with large amounts of liquid latex. If you have Than ignore the next part of this post. I did a body suit on my wife and exsquisid, torcheris, teadeum aside if given the choise between liquid letex and vinal. I would take vinal. If you plan to be in it for an extended period of time latex will boil in your own jucises. No inuendo intended. Vinal can atleast be taken off and put back on with out great dificulty. Again sorry to but in.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.