main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* Wisconsin Fanforce Costume Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by LeiaYT1300, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediRacer8

JediRacer8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 26, 2004
    Thanks for your advice. I actually found a vinyl top and some leather pants that I am going to work with. I'm not sure if I could stand wearing latex for any extended amount of time.

2. r2fu2

r2fu2 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2004
    yes but what i was going to do was try to make a hutt costume it was just going to be used as the outer skin i don't know if i should just try to make it a static prop what do you think

3. Soliss

Soliss Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2004
    I got nothing I've never tried any thing like that but I would love to know what you come up with.

4. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    I now have top, pants, boots w/shin guards, belt, and wig. I have received the wig yet but I think I'm going to end up liking it better than my real hair. My next task is to get the cloak made and come up with a clasp for it. I have a lightsaber I can use for now provided I can get a belt clip attached to it, but I also have plans to make my own custom saber sometime soon. If the custom one isn't done by Halloween I will use the other one.

5. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    At book club yesterday I mentioned to the group a costume shop I found here in Fond du Lac. A field trip was suggested for sometime after Halloween. For those interested, what Saturdays in November or December do you have available?

I did find a small website about this place that says she has over 20,000 costumes along with a fantasy wedding division. There was a pic of a hippie wedding gown that I wish I had seen several years ago.

6. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    Sounds cool! I would be interested. Just let me know what you all decide on and I will see what I can do. I just need to take off work and it should be fine.

Forcebewitya.

7. jedihexer

jedihexer Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2002
    I am having my efx team here in cal. make my make-up soon. We are doing a life cast of my face and then recreating Palpatines face on mine in Foam rubber. When I see all of you next- it should be done...rather creepy though. I will have to keep it in a box, flat- like a skinned Sith!

But hey they are doing it for cost...so I am not complaining!!!!

Everyone take care! E

8. TwistyMaeSkywalker

TwistyMaeSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2000
    I'd be interested in going!

Right now, my Star Wars costumes have kind of fallen by the wayside--I'm working on a Dread Pirate Roberts outfit for Odyssey Con in April. I have the boots, just have to make the pants and the shirt. The mask will probably be the easiest part.

9. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    I'm up for it. It would be easier after the play is over but I might be able to work it out.

10. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    How does Saturday, November 13 sound? That would work well for me because I won't be starting any new job until the 15th and I may be working weekends after that. Plus I know everyone is busy the closer we get to the holidays. Let me know if that works or if there are any other dates that might work better.

11. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    I'm not certain if that's the best for me. My car is going in this Saturday for a transmission overhaul diagnosis which won't be gotten to until Monday. After that, then I'll know how long I'll be without a car. If I can get it back fixed by Friday the 12th, it's a go. Otherwise, I'll either need to beg a ride if this is the decided date.

12. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    I'm going to say January 22 for the costume trip. Meet at 10am, and the shop closes at 3pm. That should give us plenty of time. We can pick up a late lunch somewhere if anyone is interested or order pizzas at my place.

13. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    Shawn called the costume shop this week and apparently the woman has closed down most of the rooms in her shop over the winter due to heating expenses. She will have the full shop open again around April when it warms up. With C3 & Oddcon both in April we'll probably want to reschedule for early May.

14. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    Does anyone know (or have they seen) a source for Rebel Alliance decals/stickers? I need one--approximately 3" round. Ideas?

15. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    I have an idea I'd like to get input on. Many of the larger SW costuming groups do charity events, such as Relay for Life or the various walk/run events that occur locally. Is this something we would be interested in? We could attend the event in costume, but this wouldn't have to be limited to just those of us with costumes if others want to participate. I know a lot of us live on limited budgets, but I don't think most of these events have entry fees but instead rely on the teams to gather pledges from family/friends. This could be a good way to donate to causes and promote ourselves as well.

16. Darth_Luinel_Kun

Darth_Luinel_Kun Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2005
    I'm in on it! I have done something like that before but not SW.

17. bluesaber

bluesaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2000
    I think that would be a lot of fun.

18. SWCostumer

SWCostumer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2005
    I have done volunteer work with another fan group for the Heart Walk at the Zoo. You are not a part of the walk (no having to get pledges, entry fees, etc) instead you help out with the functioning of the walk. We were stationed at points around the zoo to let the walkers know which direction to go in next, so that they hit all the sites and walked the full amount. And most of us were in costumes.

Basically, someone needs to contact the organizing group of the fundraiser and see if they want costumed volunteers plus making sure that it is a date and function that you can get enough costumers to volunteer for.

Another type of thing to do, is a prearranged visit to Children's Hospital to "entertain" the kids.

19. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    I wouldn't mind doing it. I've always wanted to do something for Children's Hospital, or something similar. The gloryhounds at the 501st seem to go for that kind of stuff--maybe Outlander could be of some use with info on that kind of thing? Might as well show off the costume, seeing as how it's going back into storage to fester after Wizard World. A pre-Xmas trip would be cool. We'll have to pursue this, Sara (and others).

20. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    We're re-watching Firefly right now and I keep thinking a Firefly costume would be fun, and easy. Only problem is I don't physically resemble any of the characters so I don't know which I would do, unless I use a wig as with the Mara costume. At least with the Mara I have similar coloring and eye color. Any suggestions?

On that note, I think I want to do a Firefly-style belt for my Mara costume. I like the more rugged look and think it suits Mara well. But I think I'll need some help/suggestions for this project. The belt I have could probably be easily modified but I don't have any leatherwork experience. I need to fix my gun before the Chicago Expo too, but need to find something for re-shaping that sticks better to plastic than the clay I originally used.

21. SWCostumer

SWCostumer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2005
    When you don't resemble any of the characters, you should just make the outfit that you like the most. Or make an original costume based on one or more of the costumes in the show and create your own character.

22. CaptMereel

CaptMereel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2002
    I agree with Nancy - to a point. I think, if you want to do a specific character then go ahead and do it; however, consider how differently you do look, meaning if you are 200 pounds, don't try to be Inara or River or Kaylee. Don't worry about eye color but, if the character is black-haired, like Inara, and you're blond, get a wig. I have been toying with the idea of a Firefly costume since it first aired on TV and think a combo Browncoat/civilian outfit like Mal and Zoe wear is the way to go. I have a light brown duster and black riding boots which would work perfectly for such a costume. Though a paid companion is very easy to do as well and I already have several Chinese dresses.

At GenCon there was a group of people in Firefly costume (Mal, Kaylee, Inara and Simon) and none of them looked like the characters (the Simon and Inara were about 250 pounds and Kaylee and Mal were carrying about 50 pounds extra in weight) and their costumes were so-so. Of the four, Kaylee looked the best (she was doing the costume with the Chinese parasol where Kaylee gets Preacher to book passage on Serendity). I think we could do so much better.

And, speaking of GenCon, Beret and I attended yesterday (yes, driving down very, very early in the morning and coming back in the evening). By the time I got home last night at 2AM I'd been awake for 24 hours. We both were in costume (Beret in her Bespin Leia and me as Viqi). Anyways, we will be appearing in many people's photo albums! I entered the costume contest in the Star Wars category and...won 1st Place!!!! Boba Fett took 2nd Place. Wow! Finally some judges who realized the quality of the workmanship, uniqueness etc of the costume. I am so thrilled and happy...and credit also goes to Beret!!! I got a cash award and a trophy will be sent to me. :)

I'm currently working on 2 new non-SW costumes: Jet Girl (from the film Tank Girl) and a 58th Squadron/Wild Cards uniform from Space: Above and Beyond. And, of course, thinking about my next SW costume (probably the Imperial Army uniform like General Veers wears in ESB that I've always wanted).

23. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    Awesome!! It's great to see one of our own win such a big convention. Congrats to both Leslie and Beret for finally getting the recognition you deserve :) And to see someone without armor/gimmicks win for once. Sounds like we will have lots to talk about at book club next weekend.

24. CaptMereel

CaptMereel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2002

Thanks, Sara. I agree - nice to see something other than props and armor win for once. We will defintitely have lots to talk about on Saturday at the BC meeting (and I will be posting a reminder next on that thread). Plus I'll have my pictures from Wizard World and GenCon.

25. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    I may bring my blaster along to book club next weekend to see if any of you can help me out. The modifications I made with clay have mostly self-destructed. Apparently the clay I used didn't hold up too well, and I'm at a loss what to do with it next. I'm doing some more work on my belt that I may have done to show by then as well.

A bit disgruntled about some costuming issues right now - see my email to you Leslie. But I'm keeping in mind that I do this for fun and that is all that matters.

BTW: Another JC member from the area sent me a PM about starting a SW costuming club for the SE Wisconsin area. The club would participate in parades, events, etc. I suggested that he post the info on this thread but I don't see anything here yet. If any of you did not get this PM, I can send you the information about this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.