main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* Wisconsin Fanforce Costume Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by LeiaYT1300, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Oh God--don't remind me that it's two weeks away!

(How many days left, Bruce? :p )

My costume is coming along (I'm posting on a short five minute break, in which I must also change the laundry). I know I'm going to be up all night...

But I'm not here to crack the whip ('cause I'm the last one to talk). I just wanted to say how impressed I am about your armor from Studio Creations, Aura. Very cool! I'll have to keep them in mind to pass on to other aspiring troopers. But I wish you could wear it to GenCon, though... (Dumb question--did you try TrepArt on the eastside? If you did, no biggie, but if not, I'd try them.)

Well, good luck to you all. Back to work for me!

2. Kylash_327

Kylash_327 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2002
    Just got my resin saber I got off ebay. The thing had a big crack along the side and alot of little boobered spots, but I think i can fix it up and make it nice and smooth. A friend of mine might be coming along to GenCon and he'll be wearing my Jedi costume. I can't wait! *giddy school girl* ...*uhm..boy*

3. SameSithDifferentDay

SameSithDifferentDay Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2001
    [image=http://store5.yimg.com/I/riversedge_1677_15953180]

How the hell do you put that thing on? Climb in through the face? ?[face_plain]

4. Kylash_327

Feb 2, 2002
    Heheh, seems so. I dont see any other openning, unless theres a zipper in the back, but with that kind of fabric, i doubt it.

5. Auraveda

Auraveda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2001
    Uh, yeah there's a zipper in the back. The material would get stretched out too much if I had crawl in through the face opening. The fabric is a bit thicker and sturdier than like thin spandex workout gear. Also, that's how you get in and out of the closed face version:
    [image=http://store5.yimg.com/I/riversedge_1677_22758899]
    Perfect for all your avant garde dance needs. Or you could put eyeholes in it and be a superhero.

FYI - it's generally not a good idea to talk about specific prop and costume manufactures on the boards, they can get in trouble with Lucasfilm. It's better to take it to private messages. So if you have any questions about the origin of my armor, PM me. :)

Edit: Yes - I did try Trep art, but they didn't have what I needed in my size. Oh well.

6. SameSithDifferentDay

SameSithDifferentDay Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2001
    Hehehe... Yeah, you'd turn that cowl into a hood. [face_laugh]

7. Kylash_327

Feb 2, 2002
    Ok, I admit, I dont know much about skin tight spandex uniforms.. :p Just armor.

8. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Well, here's an update on my Bespin Leia costume. The hardest part of the embroidery is finally done! 70 separate sections are fully sewn with the patterned motif, and I am so grateful! It took so long to do!

I am now on to the rosettes, which are going fairly quickly (25 small and 25 large total). Already 13 small ones are finished in less than 6 hours, and I expect the others to go as quickly. After the rosettes, what remains is to outline the 70 sections in yellow with the stem stitch.

Then it will be time to put the entire costume together. I anticipate a busy weekend ahead, but the whole enchilada should be done by next Monday/Tuesday, leaving me time to fix any snafus, and try it all on completely.

Oh, I'm so excited, I can hardly stand it! This really was a labor of love!

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest this morning! Hope everyone else's costumes are working out just as well! Again, good luck to you all and keep sewing/constructing! :)

Oh, quick query:

Does anyone have any good suggestions for SW music for me to walk out to? I don't want the Main Theme, as that is overused. But I don't want something too obscure, as this is the general sci-fi/fantasy convention, and Cloud City/Lando's Theme might be confusing. So I was thinking maybe the Medal Ceremony theme from ANH as a proper balance, since it's very regal, and most people recognize it easily.

Any thoughts? The sooner I know, the sooner I can send an email to Anne Brown, the contest coordinator, and let her know if I need a tape or CD player. Thanks, guys! :)

9. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Why not Leia's Theme?

10. CaptMereel

CaptMereel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2002
    Leia's Theme or the Medal Ceremony theme would be good...of course, I also like to listen to the music from Shadows of the Empire as well and the track Seduction of Princess Leia (I think that's the title) comes to mind when I think of Leia as well. One can just imagine Prince Xizor in that transparent robe. :) Naughty! Naughty!

Anyways, Leia's Theme or the Medal Ceremony music would be best as that would be most obvious to many of GenCon's attendees. Personally, as I think about it, you might want to use the Medal Ceremony theme only because it's got more drama to it!

Countdown per Bruce: 10 days until GenCon starts and 12 days until the Costume Competition.

11. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    I did consider Leia's Theme, but I also think that might be too predictable. And I want something that sort of fits my introduction:

Introduction

Drifting within the mists of Bespin?s skies is the ?city amongst the clouds?, offering rest and sanctuary for the weary heroes. And, for the princess of Alderaan, the delight of new garments that serve to enhance her graceful beauty. Constructed of delicate, fluid silks the hues of an evening sun, they are elaborately embroidered of fine silken threads and gilt-edge trims ? garments worthy of her refined elegance, and a relief from the fashions of war. Yet, she feels little joy in them, for she is sensitive to the air of tension about her. And however lovely, the garments are an element of the illusion. For when the dream fades to blackest horror, they, too, will vanish to memory?

So I guess I wanted something with a more pensive edge. Perhaps Obi-Wan's theme from ANH (the Luke-on-a-Hill theme)? It's very effective, and creates a certain aura. I've even considered Han Solo and the Princess, especially since I have the concert version on CD, but even that doesn't seem to fit... unless I use the rendition from the very end of ESB... That might work...

I don't know...

As for the Shadows CD, I've heard it, but I don't own it. And since I did not like the book (the thought of Leia responding to Xizor, whether voluntarily or no, makes my skin crawl), I guess I want to keep the music to the films. But thanks for bringing that one up! I often forget that score exists...

Actually, if it made sense, I really want the Across the Stars Love Theme from AOTC. It's John's best romantic theme to date, imho, and it has such a wonderful aura about it (I'm so jealous--Han and Leia deserved a theme of that caliber, really... But of course, I'm biased... ;) ). But it really doesn't fit the costume...

I don't know... Maybe I could get away with it...

I guess I have to seriously listen to my soundtracks while I sew tonight. But please keep the suggestions coming--I really appreciate the help! :)

12. Kylash_327

Feb 2, 2002
    I've been to lazy to print out the contest entry sheet, so I'm just gonna wait until I get there to sign up if I still can. I dont mind if I get in or not, just wearing the costume will be a blast.

13. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    Reading your intro gave me a mood of ease, but an uncomfortable ease, with some pensiveness behind it so you don't want something too dramatic like the Medal Ceremony music...I, too, like Across the Stars, so, hey, that was written for Leia's soon-to-be-parents, which means, in a round-about manner, that it's her music too!

I like Shadows because it shows the underbelly of Coruscant and that Leia, even with Xizor's pheromones affecting her, can still resist temptation and remain the strong-willed person that we all know. But I understand your dislike of the book...after all, she is your heroine and idol. Sort of like me and Boba Fett...he would never have screamed as he went flying through the air with the jetpack out of control! NEVER! That was such a wimpy, out-of-character scene that it literally makes me wince just thinking about it!

14. Kylash_327

Feb 2, 2002
    "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiieeeeeee!"

15. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Sweet Jebus, I really hate Across the Stars. Or maybe I just have to take 3 years to warm up to it like I did with the whole TPM soundtrack.

Isn't there a Han/Leia love theme from ESB?

"One can just imagine Prince Xizor in that transparent robe. :) Naughty! Naughty!"

I think I just chose my costume. And it won't be complete without pheromones... [face_devil]

Okay, seriously... What the hell is the point of a transparent robe? ?[face_plain]

16. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    CONGRATS BERET! That is quite an acomplishment. :D I, unfortunatly, won't be able to make it to GenCon. I would LOVE to see all of you in your costumes. But not Tom if he's going to wear that see thru robe! I don't need to be sick! ;)

17. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Boba Fett screaming... *shudder* It was a bad idea from the beginning. It's just wrong. Like Luke screaming as he falls from the gantry... Well, we all know how I feel about alot of George's Special Edition tampering...

Anyway, still haven't decided on music yet (I'm writing as I take a break--my eyes are getting a little blurry from embroidering, and there's nothing on tv to listen to--Witchblade is a re-run...)

Maybe I will use the AOTC theme...

But please, Tom, no sheer robes, ok? I had a hard enough time envisioning Xizor as such (*shudder*)!

(Sorry, Tom, I couldn't help myself! :p )

Well, back to work...

18. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    The only way Tom could do the Xizor thing, besides the transparent robe and pheromones, is to also paint his whole body green and wear a topknot! :eek: But, seriously, in answer to his question about the transparent robe, ie why?, remember that a hint of something is sometimes more tantalizing....seduction and mystery was the whole point of the red transparent robe over his green body, IMHO! ;)

Anyways, Beret, music is always a hard choice....it is something you are going to have to choose for and by yourself...it is very personal so it has to be fully 110% what you want. We can make suggestions but you have to be the one that is happy with what you pick. Good luck!

GenCon: 9 days. But 11 days to the Costume Competition...and counting.......

BTW, thanks, Kylash, for making me wince this early in the morning with that impersonation of my favorite Classic Trilogy character's unmanly scream!! :_|

19. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Oh, it's red. If it has color, isn't it merely translucent? I thought you were saying the robe was completely clear, so you can see how I thought it was pointless.

Anyway, no, I would never subject the public to such horrors, transparent or otherwise...

20. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    True, Tom, but you must have considered it just the teeniest bit...? :p

Anyway, last night I took a half hour, and began rifling through my Star Wars music. I first played Leia's Theme--too slow. Next, the Medal Ceremony, and my first thought was an image of Chewbacca finally receiving his medal from Leia at the MTV Music Awards a few years back--all I did was giggle. And frankly it's too regal, almost(strange, yes...). So no dice there.

I followed up with sections from ESB (which is at least the appropriate film). Cloud City/Lando's Theme really nails it, and is currently at the top of the list (at this point I don't care if it's obscure to other people or not--it fits!). But I did try Han Solo and the Princess. That might work, too, but I don't have the technology to cut it appropriately without it sounding cheap, so I'm not sure.

Lastly, I played the Across the Stars theme from AOTC, and if cut appropriately, that might work as well.

So, I'm torn. (And I know what you mean by this being a personal decision...) But if I can't decide over the course of the day, it will be the Cloud City theme, since all one has to do is press play, and then after I've paraded the catwalk, they can just fade out with the volume button. Pretty simple...

Meanwhile, 20 out of 50 rosettes are done, and things are going well. I hope everyone else's costumes are going as well (how's it working out, Twisty?). Ok, back to work... I get to relabel all of our graphic arts slides, after completing an arduous update... yay...

I'd rather be embroidering right now...

21. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    "...you must have considered it just the teeniest bit...?"

Only as a joke. Otherwise, no, never. I'm uglier than sin.

"...I don't have the technology to cut it appropriately..."

I do. How short do you need it? :)

22. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Could you? I think I might take you up on that. I'll give you the details on Thursday while we move Jenni.

Thanks, Tom! You the best! :D

23. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    No problem. I do stuff like that all the time. If you go to my home page you'll see a Flash animation with a sound loop in it that is an edit of a George Harrison song. It was the same kind of concept putting that together; I had to cut a couple chunks out of the original recording and splice them together in a way that could be looped.

24. Skywalker1138

Skywalker1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2002
    Go Tom! Beret, you don't trust my brother or what?

Well, at least you'll get it done

25. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Oh, Jenni, I trust your brother. It's just that I don't want to impose when he's so close to leaving for Poland. I really do like your brother--I swear! :D

And, Tom, I'll check out your website tonight at home (can't do much on this arcane paperweight they call a computer here at work). :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.