main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Word on Obi-Wan and Owen

Discussion in 'Literature' started by PrinceXizor, Nov 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    "Tales of Obi-Wan's adolescence are explored in the Jedi Apprentice series, published by Scholastic. There are some interesting snippets of Kenobi's family life, as we learn he has a brother. Information on that relative, however, remains very sparse. The original intent was to have this sibling be Owen Lars, a character who was at one point believed to be Obi-Wan's brother, as stated in early fiction spun-off from Return of the Jedi. Attack of the Clones conclusively establishes that these two characters have no blood relation, and thus Obi-Wan's brother is an as yet unexplored character."

From the new databank update.

2. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    That's actually about 4-5 months old I think.

3. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Huh ?

I think the title wasn't announced 4-5 months ago...

No, no... This seems to be more recent.

4. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    A few months ago, under Obi-Wan's databank, it said almost the exact same thing. So this has been confirmed for awhile. Now we just need to see how LFL handles this in the Literature.

5. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Oh. Okay.

6. The Cat

The Cat Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    I, for one, am glad. I always thought the Obi-Wan/Owen Lars connection was dumb.

7. Han Soho

Han Soho Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 1998
    Unless there is something in AOTC that specifically says they are not brothers, then they are.

8. The Cat

The Cat Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    I dunno, there's nothing that says Lando and Shmi aren't brothers. Doesn't that mean that they are, then?

9. Han Soho

Han Soho Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 1998
    No, but there are a few sources that say Owen and Obi-Wan are brothers. Given this, we must find a way to satisfy both the early sources and AOTC.

10. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Yes. For movie debates and the official word, I'm going with Lucasfilm...But in my personal canon, they're still brothers until proven otherwise.

**small spoiler**

They don't even meet in AotC, so there's no direct conflict.

**spoiler end**

11. Han Soho

Han Soho Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 1998
    Agreed. Just because the movies say one thing and the EU another doesn't mean they can't both happen. Boba Fett's history is a classic example of this.

12. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    Maybe Obiwans Brother is also named Owen.. And he just was a bit confused when talking about it.

OK think about this one..... Maybe We will meet the long lost Nephew or great nephew of ObiWan Kanobi in the NJO. If he has a brother Then his brother may have Kids.. Those kids may be strong in the force.. or Grandkids. Delrey could introduce a new Kenobi.. heck if we can Have Bigg's brother playing a big part then why not another Kenobi. Well I am sure it is too late for that now but it is a though.

13. Jedi-Faith

Jedi-Faith Jedi Master star 2

Dec 21, 2000
    I'm aware of atleast 3 other people who have the same name as me (first and last)... I know 2 people with the same name as my brother... It's really kinda eerie :D

But my point was that I'm sure there's more than one Owen out there in the galaxy... :)

14. Ganner_Rhysode_86

Ganner_Rhysode_86 Jedi Youngling

Sep 25, 2000
    Wouldn't Owen have even a little bit of the Force if he was Obi-Wan's brother? Also, where does Obi-Wan get the name "Ben?" Was it just made up so no one could find him or was that his name before Jedi training?

15. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, apparently everyone is part of the force in the GFFA. Just that many people can't communicate with it cause of too low a count of midichlorians.

Midichlorians are the gffa equivilant to mitochondria according to lucas.

As people might know one can't survive without mitochondria.

16. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Owen Lars is the son of Cliegg Lars and is NO relation to Obi-Wan Kenobi. Cliegg marries Shmi between films, making Shmi his step-mother and Anakin his step-brother. Thus, Owen really is Luke's Uncle.

When OB1 said "my brother Owen" in the ROTJ adaption, he really meant "Anakin's brother Owen". Just a slip of the tongue. But, since he never actually said it in the film, it doesn't matter.

And before you say that it's still "canon", remember, in ANH Luke was 20 and Leia was 18. Lucas obviously changed hs mind when he wrote ESB, as he has changed his mind again about Owen Lars.

wk

17. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    Also, where does Obi-Wan get the name "Ben?"

I always took it as Ben for been I was Kenobi but I failed so I had been Kenobi. Or you could look at it like this O bi -Wa n Bin which to put in a name would be Ben. Just a thought.

About the subject I don't have an earthly idea, I always thought it was intresting how Ben and Owen were brothers, but I always wondered why Luke called them Uncle and Aunt. I guess this explains it, now I wonder how Owen and Ben are brothers, direct contradiction.

BTW doesn't this belong in the AOTC Spoiler forum?

18. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    WK, you've got some spoilers in that post. A certain character mentioned is not officially confirmed by TOS yet, as annoying as it is.

19. MaceWinducannotdie

MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    Sadly, the Obi/Owen brotherhood has been canceled. :_| Would have been interesting to see how that would work in AotC.

20. ObiWanJane

ObiWanJane Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 1999
    Actually, the JA series mentions Obi-Wan's brother by name -- Owen. But that's all we ever hear about him.

I think it's generally accepted that Lucas had originally intended Ben & Owen to be brothers, but he later changed his mind. But we may never know!

:)

21. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    Lucas has a habit of changing his intentions whenever it suits him.

Just be happy he's not directly contradicting his own movies...although it wouldn't surprise me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.