main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Officially Released Picture Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Mace Windy, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Currently stinrab and I are discussing NS courtesy when new icons are created. At the current moment, there is no movement by the consensus of the ModSquad to remove the new Anakin icons. However, for the sake of our non-spoiler members, I would greatly appreciate it if we as fellow non-spoiler members would refrain from using these new icons. Believe it or not, a great number of our community would rather not see these images. It is for this reason that we have this thread to harbor these images. A hard-core spoiler-free member may choose not to enter this thread, but they cannot choose whether or not they'd like to come across a thread with a member posting with an Anakin icon.

I am not saying that you must change or remove your icon. I am just urging you to be courteous. Be a team player. :)

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Does this apply to my Obi-Wan icon as well?

-sj loves kevin spacey

3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I dunno, solo - you've had it for so long now it's kinda distinctive - and if someone was going to raise a fuss about it, they probably would have.

I think the Anakin picture is way more *spoilerish* than the Ewan pic.

4. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    I'd say that your icon is fine, solojones. I haven't recieved any complaints, and I don't assume that I will recieve any. :)

The new Anakin icons are what has been brought to question by many of our members.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

5. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Well I think if its ok for Solojones Obi-Wan icon (which clearly shows his *new* look) then I think it fair that those of us who have the Anakin Icon be able to have it and still post in this forum.

6. Darth_Goofy

Darth_Goofy Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2001
    I think so, too. There's no difference between the two of them.

7. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    yes, but you have (apparently) received numerous complaints about your icon of Anakin, whilst solojones has not received any for his icon.

The mods have to balance individual rights vs. community rights, and if everyone else here would prefer it if the 3NSA users were prohibited from using spoiler icon, then that policy might be enforced.

It's no different than having something in your sig that's a spoiler: some people prolly won't notice, some won't care, but some people will get really annoyed.

I can already visualize the next reply, which will be "yes, but both the Ben and Ani icons are from Episode III."

Here's the difference: that pic of Anakin is crucial to one of the ongoing debates in this forum.

I'm speaking of a thread which is probably right at the bottom of this page - and that pic answers the debate.

It would be the same issue if someone had a pic of the "new villain", Vader, Anakin with a red lightsaber, Qui-Gon's ghost, Sidious zapping somebody, etc. etc.

8. DarthTerrious

May 16, 2001
    Well I will continue to have this icon whatever the result of this rubbish.

I still find it hypocritical that the Icon of Obi-Wan is not same as the icon I am using, just because its not got complaints against.

Sooner or later pictures of Anakin, or for that matter any character from Episode 3, would have been released and everyone would have seen them at one time no matter how spoiler free certain individuals are.
    The damage limitation is minimal, the net effect is it doesn't change the fact that we in the NSA know next to nothing of the Episode 3 plot (not even Hyperspace's details are conclusive enough from my POV). And that to me is what being spoiler free is about. Plus keeping our mits off of spy reports, anything about characters/vehicles or whatever that hasn't been LFL'd (Read - made official) is also part of this course.

But the Anakin picture has been official released, basically you'd have had to have been hiding up in Mount Everest to have not known about this picture by now.
    Also how does Anakin's look confirm anything other than he has come back from fighting a long hard war with overgrown hair?
    He could still be a padawan in Episode 3 yet not looked after himself (rebelled against certain rules, deviated from the Jedi path to an extent).

9. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    I have to agree with DarthTerrious. If you plan on going the entire time without ever even seeing a picture of what Anakin looks like, then that means you'd have to skip the trailers, t.v. spots, posters, all kinds of merchandise that will be popping up in stores in early 2005...it would be next to impossible. If that's what you want to do, more power to you - but you have to understand that these forums aren't 100% fool-proof. Accidents and trolls are bound to happen, and the entire boards aren't going to conform to one forum's standard. It's the risk you take by coming here, even to the NS forum.

10. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    that's undoubtedly true - I personally don't really care about the Anakin icon, but if there was an icon of the new villain, wouldn't you be a tiny bit upset?

No?

Well, some people would. Read the spoiler policy debates - like I said, before a few months ago, anything from the OS was not spoiler material.

But many people thought there was too much info given away from the OS (although I agree with you that most of the Hyperspace stuff isn't major), so we changed the rules so that threads containing OS material would have to be so noted.

Of course one is running a risk by coming here. Once major spoilers start leaking, I'll have to seriously cut down on this forum, simply because it would be easy for a troll to ruin the movie for me.

But people want to debate, theorize and imagine all they can about the movie without any information whatsoever. So what?

Would it helped if we had a majority vote on this? ;)

We all have to try to respect each other's opinion in this forum, and simultaneously we have to be considerate of spoiling other people.

11. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    I see nothing wrong with the icons. I guarantee that unless you live in a cave from now until Ep III comes out you're going to see those pictures. And if you are planning on living in a cave to avoid all the pictures, then it's probably not a wise idea to be on a Star Wars message board.

Judging from the pictures that LFL released before AOTC came out, there won't be any pictures that can spoil you in any way other then how the characters look. And if there's an icon created of a new villain, how exactly will you know that he's the new major villain unless you've already been spoiled? And in that case, a picture won't do much more to spoil the movie for you.

12. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    Sooner or later pictures of Anakin, or for that matter any character from Episode 3, would have been released and everyone would have seen them at one time no matter how spoiler free certain individuals are.

THAT IS DEFINITELY TRUE.

The damage limitation is minimal, the net effect is it doesn't change the fact that we in the NSA know next to nothing of the Episode 3 plot (not even Hyperspace's details are conclusive enough from my POV).

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOU THERE AS WELL. JUST UNDERSTAND THAT I'M TRYING TO STAND UP FOR THE RIGHTS OF 3NSA USERS WHO ARE TRYING TO AVOID THE ICONS. PERSONALLY, PICTURES DO NOT CONCERN ME. HECK, I'VE EVEN SEEN THE BLURRED PICTURE OF THE CHARACTER THAT WAS POSTED LAST WEEK BECAUSE I ALREADY KNEW WHO THE CHARACTER WAS FROM MY PREVIOUS EXPLOITS IN THE SPOILERS FORUM. I'M JUST TRYING TO HELP THOSE USERS OUT WHO DON'T WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE PICTURES. PEOPLE LIKE CCK AND OTHER SENSATIVE USERS MIGHT STOP USING THE FORUMS AS A RESULT OF THE PICTURES BEING EXPOSED AND RIGHT NOW, WE NEED ALL THE USERS WE CAN GET. SO AS A COURTESY, IT WOULD BE NICE IF YOU CHANGED YOUR ICON. :)

13. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    yeah, I figure it's a lost cause. 8-}

I'm just trying to draw some attention to the problem that both mods and users in this forum will face:

what is spoiler to one could be nothing to everyone else.

And you're completely correct, you sort of assume a certain amount of risk when entering even this non-spoiler forum.

This forum is far superior than say, the OS non-spoiler forum, in terms of spoiler leaks and trolls. Of course, there's also 5X as many users there IIRC.

I suppose, to have the last word (ha!) on the icon issue, that we'll just have to trust the mods from all of the forums (fora?) to ensure that no icon will contain a pic that, say, 33% of people would consider spoilerish.

I'm honestly not as concerned about pics and links, more about trying to get everyone to be *sensitive* when releasing "interesting" information.

Bah. Now I'm just repeating myself.

14. DarthTerrious

May 16, 2001
    that's undoubtedly true - I personally don't really care about the Anakin icon, but if there was an icon of the new villain, wouldn't you be a tiny bit upset?

No?

Actually I'd draw the line beyond what we have no knowledge of.
    We knew Anakin was in this film, and his new look isn't of major importance.
    But an icon of the new villain would probably be the cut off point for moi. Though I'm gonna stick with this Anakin icon throughout the next year or so.

15. Captain_Typho

Jul 30, 2003
    Let me put it this way. I think a lot more people would get pissed if the spoiler image of the blurred character who was revealed last week was turned into an icon. Neither the character or the icon has been revealed by lucasfilm yet although i do know about the character from my previous time in the spoilers forum. Let me emphasise this point again. PEOPLE WILL GET PISSED IF THAT IMAGE IS MADE INTO AN ICON! Again, PEOPLE WILL GET PISSED IF THAT IMAGE IS MADE INTO AN ICON! One more time just to make sure we're clear, PEOPLE WILL GET PISSED IF THAT IMAGE IS MADE INTO AN ICON!

16. Salacious_B_Crumb

Salacious_B_Crumb Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 2002
    Not that I condone the whole spoiler image into an icon, but how will someone know who the ison is of unless they go through the trouble of looking at the properties of the icon (the SW3 anakin and OB1 are some of the exceptions).

17. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I hear you loud and clear, Captain Typho!

Let's hope "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". ;)

18. Captain_Typho

Jul 30, 2003
    Not that I condone the whole spoiler image into an icon, but how will someone know who the ison is of unless they go through the trouble of looking at the properties of the icon

BELIEVE ME, THIS PARTICULAR IMAGE I'M REFERRING TO WILL BE EASILY RECOGNIZABLE BY STAR WARS FANS IF IT'S MADE INTO AN ICON. I THINK JUST ABOUT EVERYONE WILL HAVE INSTANT RECOGNITION OF WHO IT IS WITHOUT GOING INTO THE PROPERTIES TO LOOK FOR THE NAME. THAT IS WHY IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT THIS IMAGE NOT BE MADE INTO AN ICON. I'M TALKING MEGA-SPOILER HERE.

19. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Who, there, no need for the all caps. We can read just fine without it.

No one's suggesting that the picture you refer to will be made into an icon. So there's no need to make so big a deal about it.

As for the Anakin picture, saying "don't post in NSA with that icon" really doesn't make much sense. Is there going to be a ruckus when a newbie using that icon makes a single post in NSA? What about someone who's posted a lot, or even at all, in NSA previously? Should they be banned from changing their icon to that one? And what about other forums? If someone chooses to have that icon, should they not be allowed to post anywhere but 3SA and the special NSA threads, since spoiler-free people frequent the other boards as well? And should all their earlier posts be deleted so that no one stumbles across the icon?

This is what people mean when they say you're fighting a losing battle. With the exception of removing the icon from the boards entirely, there's no way to contain it. It appears in every post of anyone who chooses to have it. I'd leave this one up the discretion of the mods: if they decide that it's too much, they'll have it removed. Making regulations on where people with that icon can post really isn't helping.

20. Captain_Typho

Jul 30, 2003
    I completely agree with you.

21. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    I don't think they should have that Anakin pic as an icon yet, but it could be worse...

22. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    I don't think they'll be making an icon of that character you mentioned, nor anything else that hasn't been officially released by LFL.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but during AOTC weren't there were only icons of pictures that were LFL approved? I don't think they ever made icons of things from spoiler reports.

23. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    I think you're right, Knathan.
    I don't see a problem with the new Anakin icon. It is within the TFN spoiler policy and that is all you ask for. Yes, it does seem to answer the "knight or padawan" debate, but that is not really an important plot point. I'm sure that images of this type will be all over the place shortly and will be used in the posters when that time comes. The only way to avoid knowing about it would be to unplug your Internet connection. And even that will only save you for another year or so.

24. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    Let's discuss that mystery character some more. There may be someone left who hasn't figured it out yet from all the comments in this thread. [face_plain]

25. Salacious_B_Crumb

Salacious_B_Crumb Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 2002
    Captain_Typho, do you know who the mystery character is? Yeah, the article it was in was a spy report, but you can assume that it will be officially released eventually. And I am not asking to find out, unfortunatly I already know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.