main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Offspring of Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BigAl6ft6, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Where did she say that? She didn't say a word about the "marvel model". What she says is that the spinoffs and saga flicks are part of the same universe (like marvel) and the line we're discussing here all the time.

What do you mean with further down the road? The first spinoff is dated for 2016 and in all likelyness it's gonna feature a character we've already seen on screen, thus a saga character.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hope not but must be Ventress if true.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Is Ventress even that popular?

4. The Umpire Strokes Bach

The Umpire Strokes Bach Jedi Padawan

Dec 21, 2012
    Well no, she did not use the term "Marvel model", you did when you said "They said they wanted to follow the marvel model of films." which is not true in the sense you stated. This is why I quoted her in the first place. Because to me, she pretty clearly states the exact opposite of what you had just stated to somebody as a fact.

To back up your claim, you then interpreted the CFO's statements about Disney's overall business model concerning content across many platforms, to mean that they're going to follow the "Marvel model" in the creative sense of interconnected plots, before going on to elaborate that "the marvel flicks plot elements are often introduced and then expanded upon in a following movie. It's all about creating interconnections so that people are inclined to watch all to get the full picture. If the granddaughter of Kenobi is introduced in 7 and her backstory is mysterious, people will want to go see the Obi spinoff so they get their answers." All I'm saying is that Kathleen Kennedy's statement directly refutes that idea.

By "further down the road" I mean she wasn't talking about a future "what if they're huge hits?" scenario but saying, "as of now, the idea going forward is x" which I interpret as her saying that their plans for the Saga and the spin-off/standalones do not include an interconnected "Marvel model" but that a decision has been made to keep them separate and independent of one another.

5. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I think so.

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Who else would be the mother?

7. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Obi-Wan and Padme had a one night stand prior to AOTC when Anakin wasn't looking.

BigAl6ft6 and Dra--- like this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I really like the idea that she's the offspring of Obi-Wan's brother instead of Obi-Wan himself. I'm all for learning some more about the Kenobi clan.

Trebor Sabreon and Dra--- like this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Then the Child would be older than Luke and Leia..........

10. HegoDamask

HegoDamask Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 18, 2013
    A child could have been conceived by Obi-Wan without breaking the Jedi code. Jedi simply promised not to form attachments, not celibacy.
    Honestly I think the idea could work, It is all a matter of execution, as many people previously mentioned.
    It certainly should not seem forced.
    I would be very happy if it was just this character following the instruction of a mysterious spirit (Obi-Wan), to seek out Luke and learn the ways of the Jedi. Then maybe in the later part of this trilogy, that certain force ghost will reveal their identity to their relation; and learn of the identity of their grandfather.
    -J

11. Traidon

Traidon Jedi Padawan

Nov 1, 2012
    Here is one way it could play out – and as an aside – I am not the authority on how the BBY/ABY thing works or the relative ages of the characters – this is what I’ve ascertained from watching the films:

(also anyone that can correct me please do so – just remember this is merely conjecture)

Obi-Wan is 25 when he meets Anakin.

10 years elapse between TPM and AOTC.

3 years elapse between AOTC and ROTS.

Obi-Wan is 38 at the end of ROTS.

10 years pass as he watches over Luke.

Obi-Wan is 48.

Obi-Wan is visited numerous times by QGJ learning the Living Force, learning that if Skywalker’s offspring fail, the Jedi will come to an end. QGJ encourages OWK to have his own offspring. OWK falls in love (or beds) with a native Tattooine female and fathers a child unbeknownst to him. He never hears from her again.

OWK is 58 and has his encounter with Luke, leaving Tat for Alderaan.

OWK becomes one with the Force.

0 BBY

3 years pass – Luke abruptly leaves Dagobah – Yoda “There is another…”

1 year passes.

3 ABY.

End ROTJ.

19 years pass, OWK’s offspring finds a mate and is wed.

22 ABY.

OWK’s offspring and mate have a child.

40 ABY Luke feels a tremor in the Force. He embarks on a mission to find the meaning of this, bringing along, his only son, Anakin. “There is another – and it wasn’t Leia”.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Yeah. People change. I find it interesting that some people want lead characters who never change. For flat and secondary characters -- or even villains -- that sort of rigid identity makes sense, but Obi-Wan is more than that. Plus, it's not as out of the blue as some think; anyone who has watched TCW knows Obi-Wan had a major flame for Satine.

Although I'm not technically for this yet, I do like the idea of Obi-Wan being smart enough to learn from the Order's mistakes that he changes.

My biggest question is why a Kenobi offspring would be necessary for the ST plot. If they have a good reason for it, then I don't mind.

13. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I must be one of the only fans that hasn't read most of the EU books. Other than Splinter of the Mind's Eye and maybe one other, I know nothing of these characters people are naming. I've heard so many bad things about the EU that I really had no interest in going there. I hope if an EU character IS used, it's a really good one.

DNateos likes this.
  14. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Could you believe a Kenobi offspring as a Sith? That would have the potential to ratchet up the dramatic tension if Luke finds himself in the position of having to kill the child of his mentor/teacher/father figure.

15. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I could believe almost anything if done well. That said, let me mull over the idea of a Kenobi villain. I'm not sure what that would do other than create irony or contrast. How would it resonate with what we've seen before?

Darth_Pevra: I believe your interpretation of KK's words to be accurate. We all talked about this a while back. The main gist of the quote is that we won't be seeing as interconnected approach as Marvel's. There will be some interaction, but we shouldn't expect what goes on in the standalone films to affect the Saga. But obviously some of the standalone films will feature Saga characters.

Darth_Pevra and plaidphoenix like this.
  16. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    That would be quite a twist, but I doubt that such a connection would be revealed so early on in the game. It has the potential to be a sort of "He's my father" moment, if she were to play the villain, and I doubt they'd reveal that in the casting call.

Dra--- and plaidphoenix like this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah the whole "if Obi-Wan had a kid, where were they in the OT!" is a fairly big motzah ball hanging out there in the continuity of the series. But, as others have mentioned, there are dozens of way to tapdance around it, the simplest one being Obi-Wan's baby mama ends up leaving Tatooine and never comes back because (insert tragically dramatic reason here, also works better if Obi-Wan never knew). As for the whole "Hi! I'm Obi-Wan Kenobi's grand-daughter!" random person introduced in Ep. 7, it does serve as a direct way to tee-up a Kenobi flick but I can see people griping the "yeahbuwha?" aspect of Kenobi grandkid popping up in Ep. 7. Especially if it's already been established that everyone knows who the Kenobi offspring are.

But I do think the potential to mine for drama in this theoretical Kenobi flick would be deep, and it would set up plot strands that could pay off in that. And I do believe that over 20 years Obi-Wan did some serious thinking about how the Old Order worked and it's complete and utter collapse and, in turn, started to doubt, like, everything.

Seeing how Obi-Wan is the *best* Jedi Knight standard, there is a lot of drama to mine in inner conflict with Obi-Wan ("My love! My Jedi code! arrggh!" and so on.) if he does form a romantic relationship, however fleetingly and tragically doomed that may be. It is soapy, I'll admit, but it's not completely foreign to the Star Wars series in all the genres that end up getting mashed in there. The only way it would jump the soap shark for me would be if the woman was Aunt Beru! (However, that could set up some nice scenery chewing throw-downs between McGreggor and Edgerton, but that's just me.)

The one people keep bring up is the "make the galaxy seems smaller" complaint which I honestly never personally bought into every time I heard people gripe about it for the PT from Anakin building Threepio to Kid Boba Fett and onwards. Connections and family are, I believe, a huge part of the very fabric of the Star Wars story. And secrets, too! Don't forget secrets!

And, as I mentioned, an Obi-Wan spawn a super-easy way to tell the audience that "Oh, yeah, that whole non-romantic attachments thing that the last 2 movies that were released kept yammering about? That's gone now. Which is why Luke has a kid! Cuz Obi-Wan did it! Continue movie, please."

As for the legitimacy of the rumour, Hollywood Reporter keeps running it, Lantio Review renegged on it, but I'd go with THR over Latino Review any day myself.

The only thing that would genuinely annoy me was that the Kenobi offspring is a third-act twist and it was spoiled before the flick shot because of casting.

18. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I would be fine if the child is a niece or great-niece, but I'm not sure I want the child to be Obi-Wan's. Yeah I have read a fic or two of such storyline, but I don't know if I want his offspring in the movies. There will already likely be Skywalker and Solo offspring and possibly more from other families.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Latino Review didn't renege on it actually. They simply said it apparently wasn't Obi-Wan's offspring but was a member of his family.​

Darth_Pevra, Dra--- and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Obi-Wan's brother Owen who gets a single mention in the "Jedi" novelization (that was subsequently trampled by the PT) is back in the fold, everyone!

Dra--- likes this.
  21. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    If there's any truth to this rumor, my guess is Obi Wan didn't necessarily fall in love and father a child for the normal reasons. The more likely scenario was that he secretly and deliberately had a kid (most likely with a woman who was also strong in the Force) in order to create a backup plan in case Luke and Leia were either killed or didn't live up to their potential. In other words, he might have planned to create the next "new hope" on his own if the worst case scenario happened and the Emperor found out about the twins.

If this is the case, then it does make a certain amount of sense that he would have told NO ONE about this child. He would have wanted them to remain "safely anonymous".

Dra--- and Immortiss like this.
  22. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Yeah it can only work if he fathered a child he didn't know of on Tatooine when he was in hiding.....even a hermit has needs.....

23. DNateos

DNateos Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 21, 2012
    Actually this seems interesting but I would rather have a Mace Windu offspring of some sort. It would connect the OT generation (Luke, Han, Leia) to a name I guess they haven't heard about. All this young black actresses rumored could be it. I dont know...

Dra--- likes this.
  24. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Of course it depends on the story. That said and at this point I think Obi-Wan Kenobi emptied himself spiritually beyond the Dune Sea, not physically, or even both.:p

Dra--- likes this.
  25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "The Emperor knew, as I did, if Anakin or I were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him... which is why I am sacrificing you, while my daughter remains safely anonymous".