main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oh Canada, we stand on guard for thee! Sort of.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by obhavekenobi78, Sep 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Regarding Canada's navy, I'd give them a a fifty-fifty chance of stopping the Spanish Armada.

o_O

In the same tongue in cheek style I offer this.

2. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    For anyone who's interested, the Royal Canadian Naval Fleet is as follows:

12 Halifax Class Multi-Role Patrol Frigates
    4 Victoria Class Long Range Patrol Submarines
    An unknown (to me) number of CH-124 Sea King Anti-Submarine Warfare Helicopters
    4 Iroquois Class Area Air Defence Destroyers
    2 Protecteur Class Auxiliary Oil Replenishment Supply Ships
    12 Kingston Class Coastal Defence Vessels
    An unknown (to me) number of CP-140 Aurora Strategic Airborne Surface Surveillance Aircraft

Source: Department of National Defence

I'm quite proud of our Navy.

3. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    You are, after all, an Admiral! [face_mischief]

4. ADMIRALSPUZZUM

ADMIRALSPUZZUM Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2002
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't those Sea Kings need 50h maintenance for every 1h in the air?

5. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    Canada's not even a country. The place is like a truck stop, full of generic yokels that you see in an old Burt Reynold's flick. (Yeah, I took a dump there once.)

I figure 7 or 8 New Yorkers would be able to take over the whole "country" in a matter of minutes. :p

Canada, meh. [face_plain]

6. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    ferelwookie, if your comments are serious, then they do not even deserve a response. If they are meant as a joke, they do not belong in the Senate.

ADMIRALSPUZZUM: Shhhhh! Quiet, you. :p Besides, they are scheduled to be upgraded anyway.

7. ferelwookie

Oct 4, 2001
    [face_plain] Lighten up.

I love those hockey-playing, beer swilling, bacon-eating morons just a much as the next guy! ;)

(Whoooop! Whoooooop! ferelwookie is "attacking" the oppressed Canadian population again! Here comes the p.c. police!)

8. ADMIRALSPUZZUM

Feb 13, 2002
    Bacon eating? Perhaps the rest, but not bacon eating... ?[face_plain]

9. ferelwookie

Oct 4, 2001
    Seriously though, who the hell is going to invade Canada anytime soon? Do they really see the citizens of Maine and Montana as such a threat to their soverignity? :p

10. ADMIRALSPUZZUM

Feb 13, 2002
    Who said we did? ?[face_plain]

I've never been to Montana, is it nice?

11. ferelwookie

Oct 4, 2001
    It's pretty, but boring. It's a lot like Alberta, or Wyoming, or North Dakota, or South Dakota. The whole middle of the North American continent is waaaaaaay lame. [face_plain]

12. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe.

not yet, no. you can say that after someone invades our neighbors to the north and we help out, but right now that's not true.

You can only keep a low profile because others refuse to.

that's not really true. Americans wouldn't have half the trouble we have now if we kept a lower profile and weren't so darned aggressive around the world. we have a lot of enemies because we do a lot of bad things around the world. Canada doesn't do a lot of bad things around the world, and hence, doesn't have a lot of enemies.

here's a question: do the British Commonwealth nations have any kind of mutual defense arrangements? if so, then looking at the military force of Canada alone may be a bit misleading. the British have a nice military.

13. ADMIRALSPUZZUM

Feb 13, 2002
    I don't believe the Commonwealth has a mutual defense agreement. I think that only happens if your still a colony.

I could be wrong.

14. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    I find it hypocritical when people slam the US for spending so much money on defense, yet when asked what they would do if attacked say, "The US will help us".

15. ADMIRALSPUZZUM

Feb 13, 2002
    Who's slaming the US for spending Defense Money?

16. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    They know who they are.

17. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I'm the one who said the US would help us, and I havn't slammed the US for spending a lot of money on defence. I stay out of American internal politics. It's international politics that I concern myself with. Frankly, I couldn't care less what it says on the US budget.

18. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Not only would the US help out in time of need, but Britian would be there without a doubt, along with the rest of the UN.

AT - I didn't know you were in the Militia. One of my best friends has been in it since 96. Actually, I think he's regular armed forces now.

Also, my dad's whole family has served in the navy. 2 of my uncles were career, and my dad servered for 1 term. I was thinking of joining this summer, but then I went and fell in love :p

19. Entil`Zha

Entil`Zha Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 1999
    I think there's more pride in being the peace leader of the world then being the military leader... Canada doesn't provoke other countries into war.

20. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    ...There's more pride in being the peace leader of the world then being the military leader

I like that quote!

21. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Just popped in here because I'm bored with Lit.

Third, even if someone did attack us, the United States would surely help. Why bother spending our money that could be spent elsewhere when our neighbour has the largest military in the world?

Because that's an immoral stance to take, that's why.

Why should Americans shed their blood for Canadians? Why should they want to? Why should we expect it? Americans WOULD do it, but not because Canada would expect it, but because it would be the right thing to do.

It does not change the fact that Canada as a nation should not only maintain it's NATO expectations, which it doesn't, but should properly clothe and pay it's soldiers, which it doesn't do either. Every sovereign nation has a right to defend itself within reason from external aggression. Which is why when American GIs start dying in Iraq, no one really has any right to say 'boo' about it, except those who didn't want them to invade in the first place.

Incidentally, Canada had the third largest navy in the world in WWII after the US and England. World power to the butt of the world, militarily speaking, in less than 60 years. You gotta try really hard to do that.

Admitedly, there are some reasons for Canada's lack of interest in its armed forces. Somalia is an excellent example. After a couple of Air Borne Regiment whack jobs murdered two Somalis, public opinion of the armed forces sank to an all time low. Plus, the Government's completely innept handly off the affair only worsened it. Still, after that we had high ranking corruption when spend-happy colonels and higher ranks were having their golf clubs flown to Spain in the drop tanks of CF-18s only compounded matters. Under paid soldiers having to take another job or visit a food bank just to feed their families- there is something seriously wrong with this.

I know of what I speak, as well. My father served in the Canadian Armed Forces for 27 years. He's been all over the world, and was stationed in Montreal during the October Crisis when Trudeau implemented the War Measures Act. He was standing on a street corner a few blocks away when an FLQ bomb exploded in a mail box. He was almost shot in Egypt, and served peace keeping duty in Cyrpus in the 1960s.

The point is, it's Canada's job to defend Canada, not the US, not England's. The fact that these nations and countless more would come to Canada's defense only goes to show the good relations that we have with them.

There is no excuse for the sorry state of the Canadian Armed Forces- Canada is a rich nation that can afford to equip and supply a moderately sized force, of say 100,000 men, with US and British equipment, and whatever we make (Bradly Fighting Vehicles, anyone?). That means small arms, vehicles, artillery, tanks, aircraft AND the ability to transport it wherever it is needed.

As for the Canada/US border being poorly defended, what do you expect? It's almost 5,000 km long and by 2012, Canada and US will have been at peace for 200 years. It's poorly defended because we're good neighbors, we don't need to defend against each other. We're friends.

If you want to know about tight boarder security, talk to someone who lived in Germany or France or Belgium in the 70s, when boarder guards openly carried automatic weapons and there were wanted posters of Badder Meinhoff and Red Beret members all over the place. Go there now and all of that IS GONE. The benefits of a slight peace dividend economy, no doubt.

The scary thing is, that diatribe was written by me, a peace mongering liberal.

22. Entil`Zha

Entil`Zha Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 1999
    Third largest navy?? Counting our commercials ships maybe.. don't forget Germany and Japan, I'm pretty sure they outnumbered our Fleet.

23. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    He probably meant 3rd largest on our side.

24. MASTER_OBI-DAN

MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    "Third largest navy?? Counting our commercials ships maybe.. don't forget Germany and Japan, I'm pretty sure they outnumbered our Fleet."

I've actually heard this statistic mentioned quite a few times (on the History Channel especially). As far as I know, there was a time when Canada did have the third largest navy in the world. But I believe (I could be wrong though) it was only after the conclusion of hostilities in WWII, after the remaining vessels of Kriegsmarine and the Japanese Imperial Fleet were handed over to the Allies and/or scuttled (I can't remember which). ;)

25. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Ah, Ok, if it was after the war, then it's possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.