main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oh, come on (YJCC Mods Please Read)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by xie, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Perhaps this should be taken directly to a single moderator, but I think it would be best for the Community as a whole to voice their opinions.

I recently posted a thread entitled OMG SPAM RANKINGS!!#!@!@!@!!. Fine, maybe it wasn't aptly named. It recieved over 50 replies, and a few joking +1's.

It was locked, because "It promotes people to post just to up their post count."

No it doesn't. There are numerous threads around here that promote post count. Line by line threads, which are now not allowed, added thousands of posts to member's totals. Social threads, there are dozens of them, all of which enable a user to post "OMG HI!!@!@!@!" every time they log on, and participate in what is mostly mindless chatter.

They're allowed to do such activities, but when I post something that might be (please, sit down if you aren't, and perhaps grab on to your chair, this might shock you) fun and enjoyable, it gets locked.

This has been an ongoing thing between the moderators (who seem to think we are incapable of deciding what is fun and what is not), and a decent amount of users who feel that moderators are being overzealous to lock threads, and overbearing in stopping anything that resembles fun.

I quote from users in the thread:

"Woohoo! I'm ranked 143!!" "Ok, 3 people said +1 spread out over 3 pages........I don't thats enough to close a whole thread that looks like alot of thought went into....." - [b]deepbluejedi[/b]

"Wow this is so cool!" "Excellent work xie." - [b]Boba_Fett_2001[/b]

"Wooo. 125 yeah baby. :D" - [b]Raincloud[/b]

"Darn that three-month vacation. I'm only at #122. :p" - [hl=midnightblue][color=skyblue][b]Hama-Ryu Kinnebi[/b][/color][/hl]

"Cool." "Anyway, why didn't I think of this! It's a genius idea! Good going xie!" - [b][color=red]Night4554[/b][/color]

"Good job, xie. :)" - [b]DarthBurns[/b]

"Sweeeeeet... top 100! :)" - [hl=darkblue][b][color=white]dp4m[/b][/color][/hl]

"LOl, funny." - [b]VadersLaMent[/b]

"Woo hoo! I'm number 9! :D" - [b]JediPrincessKas[/b]
    [hr]

Yeah, I'm really sorry for putting together a nice list of posting information, which nearly everyone found fun, enjoyable, and interesting.

Like I said, someone is going to say "Take it up with the moderator in question," and I don't mean to rag on that person, but this is an issue that has come up many times before, with many mods. If the members like it, and it isn't "OMG PLZ SP4M HEER!!!#!1!93" or "OMG WUL ME," then what's the harm? It doesn't promote people to spam more, a lot of people on that list are intelligent posters, and those who aren't, well maybe they will continue to post a lot, but if it was already spam, then how can there be more spam?

It didn't take a long time to do, 20-30 minutes, but someone did me a big favor in doing this, and if the mods had [b]such[/b] a problem with it, maybe say that this is the only thread allowed of it, don't do it again, and PM me.

This has been done on the IGN [b]Free board[/b], which has 760,000 users able to post on it, and the mods look at it, and laugh along with everyone, or cheer about their ranking. It is done BY moderators on the Vault Network boards, which I believe are the size of the JC. Everyone likes to see where they stand at the end of the week.

Again, the underlying issue is, you complain about the drama, you complain about the seriousness of these "fun, escape from your day" boards, yet you [b]don't allow[/b] anything that people concieve as funny.

2. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    PM I sent to Bria immeadiately after lockage.

plz stop closing good threads and leaving hogwarts open

I don't want to sound edgy but closing xie's thread is complete crap, especially for the reason you gave. By that line of thought, every MU ever must be closed now. Most of them are authoured by mods and therefore I figured they were allowed.

kthxbye

All together: I agree with you xie. Would you guys stop closing quality threads for lame reasons. sheesh

3. Jobo

Jobo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2000
    Closing remarks:
    Please do not +1 people. Instead of doing that, contact a moderator. Thank you.
    They weren't +1-ing people, it was a joke based on the thread contents.

And for the record, I was 245.
    _jOBO

4. citizen-tom

May 20, 2002
    Ha Jobo! I was 22! Thanx for the awesome thread xie!

Oh, and I think the main closing remark was "It promotes people to post just to up their post count" [face_plain]

5. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]Why don't we just get rid of post counts so that way nobody can ever be accused of "upping their post count"?[/color]

6. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    "Please do not +1 people. Instead of doing that, contact a moderator. Thank you."

This also makes it seem as though this was amazingly blatant spam, which it wasn't. I doubt the thought to contact a moderator even popped into anyone's head. If it is spam, it wasn't blatant enough (IMO) to warrant scads of PMs.

7. Jobo

Jobo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2000
    Those were the remarks after the ones I posted, though; I have no ability to argue against those exceptto say that it doesn't encourage this activity, which is opinion based, for the most part.
    _jOBO

8. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    See the point, don't understand the mod execution. Thought the squad is more logical, etc etc, preventing harmless/controled fun, Locking the thread to prevent the 'spam craze' from increasing, which would result in more pointless posts so people could increase their rankings. Although, that would only be the case if we were all spam hungry imbeciles, which I'm sure none of us are, +1ing of people, etc, so on and so forth...

9. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    "Why don't we just get rid of post counts so that way nobody can ever be accused of "upping their post count"?"

Blasphemy!

[Braveheart] "They can take our stars...but they can never take away our post count!!! *angry spammers storm the forums with blue painted socks* [/Braveheart]

:p

10. citizen-tom

May 20, 2002
    This also makes it seem as though this was amazingly blatant spam, which it wasn't. I doubt the thought to contact a moderator even popped into anyone's head. If it is spam, it wasn't blatant enough (IMO) to warrant scads of PMs.

Xie, don't speak that way. Your thread was the most quality/original/interesting thread that I've seen in awhile.

I always thought you lock threads that are either redundant(xie's was bloody original!!) or disruptive to the community!(I think not!)

11. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I didn't see the problem with that thread either. Since it wasn't a direct database hack, it should've been left open.

12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Bria is gone until later on this evening or tomorrow, so I wouldn't expect many answers right now.

13. citizen-tom

May 20, 2002
    KW: Can't any other mod un-lock it, as you can obviously see that there is nothing wrong with it?

14. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    No, because what if she has a valid reason?

Again, the underlying issue is, you complain about the drama, you complain about the seriousness of these "fun, escape from your day" boards, yet you don't allow anything that people concieve as funny.

Oh stop overreacting.

15. citizen-tom

May 20, 2002
    She posted a reason in the thread.... and it wasn't valid (atleast to me)!

16. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    No, because what if she has a valid reason?

If she did, she didn't post it. But I agree, it isn't another mod's job to lock/unlock this thread.

Again, the underlying issue is, you complain about the drama, you complain about the seriousness of these "fun, escape from your day" boards, yet you don't allow anything that people concieve as funny.

Oh stop overreacting.

This isn't just about this thread, it is an ongoing thing. If the mod doesn't get the joke, or if they think it isn't funny, or if it seems to be just a fun thread, they lock it. Many members will tell you the same thing.

17. citizen-tom

May 20, 2002
    I agree with xie. Read sections of my over-moderation thread and other various posts for more info.

18. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > KW: Can't any other mod un-lock it, as you can obviously see that there is nothing wrong with it?

If anyone other than Bria is going to unlock it, it's going to be a call made by the other JC mods.

I dare say though, that the consequences of all simply waiting for Bria to return and re-evaluate the lock are negligible.

So just be patient...

19. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    This isn't just about this thread, it is an ongoing thing.

Ongoing meaning I only noticed you here since you got banned? ;)

If the mod doesn't get the joke, or if they think it isn't funny, or if it seems to be just a fun thread, they lock it. Many members will tell you the same thing.

Many people buy Britteny Spears and Christina Aguilera. Your point?

20. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    This isn't just about this thread, it is an ongoing thing.

Ongoing meaning I only noticed you here since you got banned?

What the heck is that supposed to mean? And which banning are you talking about? The three weeks? That's because I didn't even know about this forum until then, I rarely strayed from JCC/EUC/Lit.

If the mod doesn't get the joke, or if they think it isn't funny, or if it seems to be just a fun thread, they lock it. Many members will tell you the same thing.

Many people buy Britteny Spears and Christina Aguilera. Your point?

Invalid argument. It's a false analogy, we're not talking about which music is good, and which music is popular, we're talking about what is considered "good" by a lot the users, which is ignored by the Mods, who are supposed to be making this board better.

21. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Actually xie, it is a perfect analogy. You see, the majority can be wrong :)

22. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I would point out that it no more encourages people to up their post count then member updates.

My feelings on those aside, I don't think there has been any new rule outlawing MU's has there?

Furthermore, if a mod makes the wrong decision can someone explain to me why it has to be that mod who corrects it? I mean the system should be in place to make the JC a better place, not cover the mods asses.

Besides it's not just a list of which posters are most active, but of which active posters has been here longest and who has the most posts.

In any case, I look forward to the thread being reopened.

(Number 31... w00t!)

;)

Oh and since it's set up alphabetcally it's much easier to find yourself. Well done.

23. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

I agree with farraday on this issue.

How 'bout that?

AYBABTU?

24. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Actually xie, it is a perfect analogy. You see, the majority can be wrong.

Yet another fallacy, because now we're assuming that Britany Spears, and Christina Aguilera are "wrong" choices of music, when actually, music is a choice made by the listener. There are no right or wrong choices. Fallacy #3: Begging the question.

EDIT: I did actually get diverted by your "Straw Man," so to speak.

25. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    :eek:

I'm speechless about DA and Farrie agreeing.

I understand the respect issue for the mod that locks a thread, but this seems like a harmless thread that should be reopened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.