main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oh, How He Loves The Dark (side)........

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Padawan_of_Palpatine, Jul 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padawan_of_Palpatine

Padawan_of_Palpatine Jedi Youngling

Mar 4, 2003
    Did anyone notice how Anakin has a habit of creating a dark setting for sabre duels? When he was fighting Dooku in ATOC, he cut some kind of cable on the floor that made the lights go out. He used that same technique when he was battling Luke in ROTJ. I guess he really had a thing for the dark (side).

2. MELKOR-MORGOTH

MELKOR-MORGOTH Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2003
    If you ask me, it's artistic. Logically speaking, it's tricker to fight someone in the dark. Anakin probably wants to use the dark to confuse Dooku. Lightsabre light excluded, it looked like Dooku was having a hard time. He's lucky to be alive.

3. JFettG

JFettG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    MELKOR has a good point. If Anakin can utilize the dark to his advantage so his opponents can't see then he has the ability to be a great duelist!

4. DarthZchour

DarthZchour Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2002
    He cut those two poison worm-things in Padme's bed pretty nicely even though it was dark in her room.

5. Ktulu_Terumo

Ktulu_Terumo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Never thougth of it that way, but it's an interesting idea. Whe'll have to wait and see if he uses the same tactic against whoever he duels in Episode III.

6. RKMeibalane

RKMeibalane Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2002
    The carbon-freezing chamber was not well-lit, either. Anakin/Vader must prefer that setting for some reason. Maybe his increased Force sensitivity manifested itself in his vision, allowing him to see in spite of poor lighting and visibility. On the other hand, it may just be more symbolism from Lucas.

7. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    I never noticed that patern connected to the PT, although I did notice in the OT movies. I always thought that Vader liked the dark so much because his mask gave him low light advantages, and his armor helped him blend in.

8. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    It wasn't dark when Obi-Wan fought him on the Death Star. ;)

Here's a little bit more about his duels:

9. Attack of the Clones: Anakin and Obi-Wan vs Dooku

10. The setting in the hanger isn't brightly lit when they enter in the first place. After a bit of dueling, Anakin cuts the "power cord" for the lights, which was conveniently located on the ground. ( :p ) This provides an even darker setting.

One of the skills of a trained Force user, whether he/she be dark side, light side, or somewhere in between, is to be able to sense your surroundings. This includes who you are battling too. A little bit more advance, but still somewhat basic skill is to sense your apponents next move. This is how lightsaber battles can last so long.

Anyway, Anakin sets the dark stage for the battle. He does a pretty good job until his arm gets cut off.

11. A New Hope: Darth Vader vs Obi-Wan Kenobi

12. Here there wasn't really a way to make the setting dark, working to Vader's advantage. They were in a fairly open area of the Death Star, and Vader couldn't just turn off the lights. So he was stuck, but yet the battle worked to what he thought was his advantage.

13. The Empire Strikes Back: Darth Vader vs Luke Skywalker

14. The setting here was dark from the beginning, when Han was frozen in carbonite. It was a very dimly lit area, and I think Vader had the lighting that way for a reason -- he knew he was going to battle Luke, and he likes his battles dark.

It seems that once Luke arrives and they get into battle, it gets even darker. It's tough to see, and Luke is not an expert at recognizing his surroundings, and Vader wasn't helping by shielding himself through the Force. Of course, Vader had the obvious upper hand in that battle.

15. Return of the Jedi: Darth Vader vs Luke Skywalker Part II

16. Once again, this battle was an obvious set up. Palpatine knows that Vader likes to duel in the dark, and he knows the reason for it. (I'll get to that in a minute. ;) ) So, while the Emperor's throne room is probably kept pretty dark anyway, it is darker than what may be the normal for the set up of the battle.

Vader has the upper hand for a while -- then loses it, as well as his arm. (Ok, I know it was corny...) He still battles really well, and I think he may have been slipping a little on purpose.

17. Putting it all together: What does it mean?

18. Something I feel that is going to be very important in Episode III is going to be the "living Force" and the "midichlorians," both of which are spoken of by Qui-Gon.

It's my theory that the midichlorians help you connect with the living Force, therefore being closer connected than the midi's having something to do with overall Force power. They give you extra living Force power.

Now, we must understand what the living Force is: Connecting with the present and the surroundings around you. In other words, once you are deeply in tune with the living Force, you are also deeply in tune with your surroundings. The midis connect to you, you connect to things around you. One big symbiotic circle -- Obi-Wan spoke of "symbiotic circles" in Episode I, probably a term he picked up from Qui-Gon along the way.

So, if the midis help you to be in tune with your surroundings, wouldn't it mean the more midis you have, the deeper in tune you are with your surroundings? Battling in the dark is very tough, you have to be deeply in tune with your surroundings so as not to trip over something, bump into something, fall off of something, ect.

See the reacurring theme here? Speaking of reacurring themes, they're something George Lucas has said he likes to use in the films.

So, since Anakin has a midichlorian reading off the charts -- higher than Yoda's, he would be very deeply in tune with his surroundings, in which he would know exactly where he is going in the dark.

I think this is why he likes to fight in the dark..

19. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    It always Looked to Me in ESB when Vader says "This Facillity is Crude, but...." That He was Lookiing around thinking to himself... You Know, this would be a great place for a Duel!

Maul Had to have done the same thing for the Theed Power Generator... Mapping out A confusing chase to lead the Jedi On, untill he could seperate and kill them one at a time...

20. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    He is a creature of the Dark.

Notice, in ROTJ, Darth Vader is driven out of the dark and into the light. (During the duel.)

That makes sense. I always wondered why Anakin would cut the lights.

21. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Oooh, nice sybolism with Vader and Luke in ROTJ. Love it! :D

22. Crispy_Fried_Dentic

Crispy_Fried_Dentic Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2003
    I have no other comment than to say:

Dang, jedi_master_ousley, that was a great post!

23. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
  24. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
  25. Agriias

Agriias Jedi Master

Jun 25, 2000
    I think vaders liking to the dark also gives him a psychological edge. especially in his encounters with luke.

He is a half-man half machine, sith, who is lukes fathers and is clearly more skilled then him, it only adds to the fear of him that a duel be in the dark, darkness makes peopel afraid, vader blends in to the dark.

26. count--poodoo

count--poodoo Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2003
    or mabye lightsaber fights look better in the dark.

27. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    How quickly we forget Anakin's most under-rated "duel": "Anakin's Scuffle with Greedo," from TPM's deleted scenes. Even in that one, Anakin and Greedo fight within the shadow, just this side of a boundary dividing shadow from light.

28. Mad_Jon

Mad_Jon Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2003
    It's definitely an artistic decision made by Lucas. It keep continues the Dark Side theme, and it makes the battles seem more dramatic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.