main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oh I hate mummies - The Mummy Series

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Moleman1138, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    The Mummy

[image=http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00000JQB6.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg]

The Mummy Returns

[image=http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00003CXTA.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg]

The series isn't bad. It's just campy. The first one really had that Egyptian feel to it almost being a shadow of the Indy films. I liked how they managed to work in so much like the ten plagues and the secret society.

The second one is definitely Mummy Gone Hollywood. Has a different feel. It is darker than the first one and takes a lot longer to get started. And many of the elements from the first are reguritated in the second. First had a sand wall, this had a wall of water. And the Scorpion King CG don't even get me started on that.

I also thought the idea of Evey being reincarnated princess was kind of far-fetched. I did like the flashback fight with Anuk-su-namun. :D

The films definitely had a good ensemble, but it's doesn't have that serious feel to it which is good in some aspects and bad in another.

Also there may be a Mummy 3, so we can discuss that as well. ;)

2. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    overall i liked the series. i thought that The Mummy 2 was a little misleading in that the way they advertised The Rock being in there it made it seem like he'd be a big character but ended up only having like 5 minutes of screen time. i didn't even see the spinoff The Scorpion King.

oh yeah. a person who graduated from my high school was in the first movie. Kevin J. O'Connor. he played Beni Gabor

3. Minder

Minder Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    I loved the movies. All 3 of them.
    I love DJ (The Rock), Brendon Fraiser, and Auded Ferr (sp?)

Sure it was a bit toung in cheek but that gave it character.

"Honey! What are you doing? Theese guys dont use doors!"

4. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    The Mummy was fun and also very creepy for a PG-13 movie. Some of the death scenes were quite disturbing. Arnold Vosloo was awesome as Imhotep.

The Mummy Returns had its moments, but overall, it was a tired retread. The water sequence was a complete ripoff of the sand sequence from the first one. And I hated that they made everyone "The Chosen One". Come on, it's just an adventure movie! And let's not forget the horrendous CG Scorpion King at the end...

The Scorpion King was a pretty forgettable action flick.

Can we discuss the original Boris Karloff Mummy here? That movie was quite good, though completely different from the remake.

5. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    The first was great. A lighthearted successor to Indy Jones. But the second was bad and the Scorpion Kin was badder. :p

6. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Beni was awesome. I loved the confrontation with Imhotep. One symbol doesn't work. Try another.

BTW, I was planning on giving Scorpion King it's own thread, because it's not a sequel and a spinoff. This is the Sommers series. I don't want to intermix so many different films of the same genre ;)

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I love the first film. It perfectly combined action and comedy without being an action-comedy film like, say, the Rush Hour films (those were good too though).

"I loved the sand wall trick, it was beautiful....you bastard!"

8. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Sand wall totally pwns the water wall from the second movie. The only thing that I like about the water wall was its location.

Now here's some continuity errors

When Rick Goes to Hamunaptra the first time at the beginning it is 1923

The scene after with Evey in the library takes place in 1926

Mummy Returns takes place in 1933

Now their kid is said to be 8 or 9 when in reality he should be 7 at the oldest.

9. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    I think the original Mummy is a very fun and entertaining story. I remember seeing it in theaters in 8th grade. Good movie!

The second one, eh! It's alright in places. Scorpion King creature seemed a bit too silly.

The Scorpion King spinoff movie by the way though, ugh. Awful awful awful.

10. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    I love The Mummy, because it's just so over-the-top. Now I'm old enough to watch the scarab scenes without screaming, it's fantastic entertainment if nothing else.

The Mummy Returns isn't half as good. The CGI's overambitious and unconvincing, and the whole reincarnation thing IMO just doesn't cut it.

11. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I love The Mummy and The Mummy returns. At first I was very skeptical about the movies since I'm not a big fan of any sort of horror stories, but I really enjoyed the story. The only parts of the movies I hate is when those evil scarab beetles show up. *shudder* Out of the two, The Mummy Returns is my favorite. I did see The Scorpion King, but I didn't like it as much as the other two movies.

My favorite lines from The Mummy Returns:

Ardeth: [to Alex] By putting on the bracelet, you have started a chain reaction that could bring about the next apocalypse.
    Rick: [to Ardeth] Hey, you, lighten up.
    [to Alex]
    Rick: You, big trouble.
    [to Jonathan]
    Rick: You, get in the car.

On another note. I'm a huge LOST fan and then one day I started watching The Mummy Returns with my sister. I started freaking out when I saw Lock-Nah, because that's the same guy who is Mr. Eko in LOST! It made my day.

12. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    one of my favorite scenes visually in The Mummy Returns is the Wall of Sand that Imhotep(i think that's him) sends through the canyon after the people in the balloon ship

13. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I like all the movies. All entertaining with good action scenes. Only thing I didn't like was the CGI Scorpion King at the end of the Mummy Returns. I didn't think it looked very good on screen.

14. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    I really enjoy the first one. O'Connell is a pretty cool character. Just a cut below Indy...but I like the "man of action" role that he is. Got some good lines in it as well.

Mummy Returns: not a bad follow up..but not as good.

Lillyhobbitjedi: That is one of my favorite lines..very funny.

Never saw "The Scorpion King": word of mouth killed that one for me.

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Great cast. Not even the little kid in the second one could spoil it. I really liked both of them. The Scorpion King CG was really, really bad, but I tolerated it.

I thought they were both great; just pure sugar high cinema.

16. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    The best part of both films was Oded Fehr as Ardeth.

[face_love] [image=http://www.cinema.com/image_lib/3888_0803_thumb.jpg] [face_love]

They are campy fun movies. Escapist action adventure - it's great.

17. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Oh yes I've heard the ladies really dig both Oded Feher (Ardeth Bay) and Arnold Vosloo (Imhotep)

I really liked Rachel Weisz. She changed so much from film 1 to 2. Almost didn't recongize her.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The first movie is sorta enjoyable in a "watch it on cable" sort of way- but it never was able to find teh right balance of camp and tongue-in-cheek humor, so a lot of the film's comedic attempts fall flat and come across as just plain annoying- usually dragging down the better portions of the film. It really made The Mummy "kinda suck", really. Wouldn't even buy it on DVD.

The second film took what worked in the first and combind it with the right balance of humor and went with it, combined with a GREAT score, it turned into a fantastic adventure film instead of the "Indiana Meh" impression of the first film. Hell, it even made the first film more interesting with it's added layers of flashbcks. Not to mention the action was much more entertaining (sure the water wall was ripping off the sandwall, but the sandwall in the first film was a very boring and pointless sequence). Kickass film overall. Definitely had to have it on DVD (so much so that it kinda annoys me that I can't really include both films in the series on my shelf since this so blatantly shows how lackluster the first was).

Scorpion King was bland overall. A shame really- I'd really like to see the sequel story to it, of how he became a conquering King, his downfall, if you will, that leads to the prologue events of The Mummy Returns. That'd be a much more interesting story than the one we got in the first movie.

19. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Mummy Returns is good until the final act when they go through the jungle and to the Gold Pyramid then it just loses it for me. The first two acts are pretty good.

I also felt the opening (not the prologue, that pwned) dragged on for far too long and story doesn't really get interesting until the sequence at O'Connell Manor.

20. digitalman2006

digitalman2006 Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2006
    Very good anlysis on both movies. It will be very interesting to find out where the third installment picks up from.

21. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    The third, digitalman, is rumored to be about the Chinese mummies of some dynasty and it should be set in the 1950's. There's just rumors. Nothing is certain yet. But it long overdue.

22. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    =P~ Much drooling ensuing. One thing to be said for these films is LOTS of fabulous male eye-candy for women - Oded Fehr, Brendan Fraser, and Arnold Vosloo =P~

Ok enough of that!

I love the first movie. To me it's absolute perfection as a top notch popcorn flick. It's funny, charming, witty, and moves FAST. The characters are also wonderfully rounded.

I think that Hollywood managed to kill the chemistry from the first film w/ the sequel. I know that Rachel Weiss asked for her character to be made "less of a wuss" and they turned a klutzy, accident prone woman into an action hero [face_plain] A large part of the appeal of the first film to me was that Evelyn was way more brains than brawn. Rick and she worked because he was the man of action whereas she was the brains behind the operation. By making her an action star along w/ Rick it took a lot of the soul out of the characters. They also didn't bicker as much as in the first film which again further destroyed the original chemistry of the main characters.

I also thought that the script for Mummy 2 was flawed in it's overall execution, there were ways they could've better written it...but oh well - guess it's pointless to pick it apart, what's done is done.

I still watch the sequel once in a while - the kid is quite good and Jonathan is still funny as ever. We do get to see lots of our favorite hot guys - so it's not a complete waste of 2 hours :p

23. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I liked the first of the Mummy series to an extent, but it was nothing great. The rest of the series was exactly like the first (to me, at least), and it just got old. The Scorpion King was horrible.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Mummy Returns is good until the final act when they go through the jungle and to the Gold Pyramid then it just loses it for me. <<

The jungle was great, I thought- those Pigmy Mummies were awesome, one of the better original additions to the series. I can see how the resurrections and such afterwards could grate, however.

25. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I mean they break your heart by giving "Evey" a cheap death, but since you can resurrect anyone with the Book of the Dead it doesn't matter how many times they kill the main characters back. As long as they know that last symbol. It's a bird. A stork. an Ahmenophus!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.