main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oh I hate mummies - The Mummy Series

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Moleman1138, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Stephen Sommer poor writing brings The Mummy movies down at times but overall I would still recommend them.The cast works great together,and there are scenes of creative genius(The plaques) Returns was hard to get into because it was pretty much a retread of one.

The Scorpion King is actually pretty good,I`d recommend it.It`s better than Mummy Returns

2. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    it would be nice to have that book of the dead [face_mischief]

3. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I like both movies. However, I saw the second one first, so I tend to like it a bit more. Imhotep has more screentime in the second, no? That's cool.

If anything's annoying it's the balloon owner guy. But I do like one of the last lines in the movie, when he and Jonathan fight over share of the diamond. "I have no idea what you're talking about." Sure, it's generic, but I've used it in that exact same way a million times ever since :D

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    great quote :D

5. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Izzy was a pretty good addition to the cast.

Every time I hook up with you, I get shot. Last time I got shot in the ass. I'm in mourning for my ass!

The whole fake eyepatch thing was pretty funny. Makes me look dashing. :D

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I enjoyed both Mummy movies greatly. Saw the first the day it came out and thought it so much fun I called another firend and went to see it a secnd time that night.

The guys are definitely eye candy, which doesn't hurt one bit and I thought them a delightful old fashioned romp.

7. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    The first two movies are light-hearted fun. The first more so than the second. The absence of Jonathan Hyde and the guy who played Beni really hurt it. And I hated the kid in the second one. Kids tend to always sabotage films like these.

8. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Alex was one of the plot devices in Mummy Returns. I really can't see of another way they could've done this. He has both his mother and his father in him.

And for the record, I saw both Mummy movies opening weekend. [face_dancing]

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i can't remember seeing the 1st one in theaters. i did see The Mummy Returns in theaters though.

10. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    The first one I thought was never going to end because I didn't understand the concept of the paradigm when I was 12. By the time they return to Cairo and the ten plagues are unleashed, I was like isn't this over yet. But hey that was 7 years ago so I can appreciate that final act and plot point a lot more.

11. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I saw both of the Mummy movies and enjoyed them. Never saw the Scorpion King.

Can we discuss the original Boris Karloff Mummy here? That movie was quite good, though completely different from the remake.

Oh, I loved that old movie. I used to watch those old Saturday night movies all the time. :) Though there is some similarity. He was wrapped up and buried alive, and the girl did have her connection through Egyptian ancestors. That scene where he got wrapped up freaked me out as a kid.

12. MatRags

Feb 5, 2001
    Change the plot? :p

I do like "The Mummy Returns" better than "Abbot and Costello Meet The Mummy." That was just a weak entry. ;)

13. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    But the plot was decent. Plus I think having it 8 years later is the inevitable let's bring a kid into the picture type deal.

14. jag29

jag29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 13, 2002
    I heard somewhere that Part 3 would be about the Old Chinese Emperors, or something like that.

Jag29

15. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I wasn't interested enough to see The Mummy and The Mummy Returns until I ended up watching them at a New Year's party, lol.

16. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    That's what I've heard. I said something along those lines on Page 1. ;) I wonder how they'll incorporate the Egyptian Mummies and Chinese Mummies into one movie. We have to have the Medjai back as well as Imhotep or it wouldn't be the mummy.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    yeah, gotta have the Medjai- their basicly the Jedi of the series, even sounds the same ;)

18. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Yeah, he was awesome in the role.

I saw Mummy Returns in theaters on its opening weekend, but the first time I saw The Mummy was... at a mall. My parents had a little kiosk at the mall and there was this big TV next to it, so I just sat down and watched most of it. Then I rented it on VHS and saw it again. And then I bought the DVD and saw it yet again. I was kind of obsessed with the movie for a little while.

19. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Both Mummy movies rock IMHO - I think my favorite part of either one of them was the army of Anubis. I love those creatures. :D

20. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    The army of Anubis was campy CGI, but it was still fun. The shot in the prologue of them overtaking the city where the OConnells go looking for the braclet of Anubis is prttty cool.

21. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    I liked the first one more than the second. The second seemed to drag a bit in places, IMO.

22. MatRags

Feb 5, 2001
    They may have looked cool, but they were a terrible army. I don't think they even scratched anyone in the big battle.

23. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    That flashback fight between Evey and Ank-su-namun... [face_drool]

24. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I agree. It's a great choreographed moment that reflects a scene later in the movie making it more than just an eye candy fight. It's good to see more flashbacks of Egypt to add more to the Pharaoh, Anuk-su-Namun and Imhotep characters.

25. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    True, but I loved the going-back-to-dust effect. That's the effects :-B in me completely pushing out the rest of the story for a few minutes. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.