main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oh I hate mummies - The Mummy Series

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Moleman1138, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Wasn't the size of the Medjai force dramatically reduced between the two battles?

These are some of my favourite popcorn movies ever. Ardeth Bey = :cool:
    I actually like the second one more than the first; the action sequences are more memorable to me, and I love those freaky little pygmy mummies.

2. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    You stand in that rock circle and the pygmies won't get you. , Oh my mistake. :p I always liked that scene. Gave Jonathan something to do in this final act as well as many other things.

3. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I loved the first one, watched it a week straight after had it on VHS because Rachel Weisz(sp) is one hot lady, she looked exactly like this one girl from my school that I had a crush on. I liked the second one aswell but not as much, the reicarnation thing kind of sucked but other than that it was good.

As for the Scoripion King...atleast it had Kelly Hu in it. :)

4. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I almost didn't recognize her when the Mummy Returns came out. Now that she's kept the brunette hair since, it's hard to think back before that like with the original Mummy.

5. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I laughed my butt off during that scene, it was a great scene.

6. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Mummy 3 Update

Seems that they're calling it: The Mummy: Curse of the Dragon (to reflect the CHinese Teracotta Warrior storyline)

We know so far:

Jet Li - The Emperor
    Michelle Yeoh - Wizard

Alex has been recast as a mid-20 yr old. NO Freddie Boath. Surprise surpise.

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    and Rachel Weisz isn't coming back either

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah they're apparently testing several actresses to recast her with. And Luke Ford has been cast as the son.

9. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    Another Mummy movie? Great...

10. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Without much of the original cast, this will suck. Weisz is irreplacable.

No - Arnold Vosloo (The Mummy)
    Patricia Velasquez (Anuc-Su-Namun)
    Oded Fehr (Ardeth Bay)
    John Hannah (Johnathan)

Why even call it Mummy 3 except to lure people in off the name.

11. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    No Oded Fehr or Arnold Vosloo? Frak! Those two were the only decent characters in this series...I foresee a gigantic bomb.

12. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Its a shame Oded Fehr not going to be in, I always thought he was the coolest character, but Rachel Weisz is hardly irreplaceable. She was OK but I don't think anyone went to a Mummy movie just because she was it.

13. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    She is an Academy-Award winner now. I'd go to see a movie just for her.

14. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    You don't go to a movie like the Mummy because its Academy Award winning actresses in it. If she wanted to be in it, then thats a bonus, but I doubt her not being in it is seriously going to make much of a differance.

15. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Character continuity. It's like Maggie Gyllenhaal replacing Katie Holmes in Batman 2. Unless somebody dies like Richard Harris did and the role of Dumbledore went to Michael Gambon, try all you can to keep the actor or write them out of the story.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oded Fehr will be the only one really missed- the Medji were the Samurai/Ninja/Jedi badasses of the series.

Arbold Vosloo was great but Imhotep's story is finished and they have to move on.

The annoying brother-in-law is utterly dispensible though- he was completely annoying in the first movie and only barey worked as actual comic relief in the 2nd movie.

Rachel though- well, her character is more important to the series, but Weisz is replaceable.

17. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    so, what does it have to do with the other two movies except the title??

18. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Egyptian Mummies then - Chinese Mummies now.

19. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    mummy movies should stay in egypt

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, it seems they're going for a transitory thing by setting up the son to be able to carry the series past Frasier, so maybe while the parents dealt with Egyptian mummies, the son has to deal with the chinese/other mummies?

21. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    This could work. I loved the first two mummy movies but Rachel Weisz, Oded Fehr and John Hannah will be missed. However the casting of Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh is starting to make up for that. Cast enough good actors and release a kick-*** trailer and I'm there. Looking back on Stephen Sommer's last film Van Helsing I couldn't help but think how much better it would have been if the O'Connells were battling Dracula and the monsters. Sort of like Abbott and Costello, ever film the O'Connells battle a new Universal Monster. I wish the series had gone that way intead.

22. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Keep to the mummies. Maybe after China and the movie isn't a bust, go to mexico and battle the Aztec mummies.

23. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Yeah of course. Van Helsing ruined my The O'Connell Meets The Monseters series anyway. Aztec mummies sounds cool. Are there any other cultures that had mummies?

24. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    keep characters from the mummy movies with the mummies

25. MidnightRain

MidnightRain Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2003
    There's the Chinchorro of Chile and Peru, which actually pre-date the Egyptian mummies, and a few Japanese Buddist monks who starved themselves in order to mummifiy their own bodies. And of course, if you want to count natural mummification, there are countless others -- the bog bodies of Europe, bodies that were preserved by extreme cold in mountainous regions, etc. Quite fascinating, really.

(I should have been an anthropologist.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.