main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oh I hate mummies - The Mummy Series

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Moleman1138, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Bello takes over Weisz's role in Mummy

Maria Bello (A History of Violence, Flicka) has joined the cast of the third installment of The Mummy as Evelyn Carnahan O'Connell, the role played by Rachel Weisz in the first two movies. She joins Brendan Fraser, Luke Ford, Jet Li, and Michelle Yeoh in the Rob Cohen-directed film, which Universal Pictures plans to release next summer. The story follows the O'Connells and their grown son (Ford) to China, where they battle a shape-shifting mummy, a former Chinese emperor (Li) cursed by a wizard (Yeoh). Bello next stars in The Jane Austen Book Club for Sony Pictures Classics, and Butterfly on a Wheel, which Lionsgate will release in August. (Variety)

Bad idea. Bello is a terrible replacement for Rachel Weisz. As a matter of fact replacing Weisz is a terrible idea. If she doesn't want to make the movie simply make it a father and son adventure film where her character isn't featured.

[image=http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/2994/weiszsn8.jpg][image=http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/7233/bellowi7.jpg]

2. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    A father and son movie probably would have a better idea, but Weisz isn't irreplaceable and Bello will probably do an adequate job in the role.

3. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    You could give Weisz a cameo. Nothing more, just so she's in the movie.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Looks like they're readying a sequel to The Scorpion King as well.

Ya know, though the first movie wasn't anything noteworthy, I'm actually rather glad they're making the sequel, because how he went from hero to villian is the more interesting part of his character's backstory, and really shoulda been the story they told to begin with.

Who knows, though- I still feel the first Mummy movie was very uneven and nothing noteworthy, much like TSK, but The Mummy Returns was damn awesome and really nailed what the first tried to do, makybe the same will apply to TSK sequel.

5. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    According to BOM, Mummy 3 is now known as

Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

and instead of 7/11/08 we can see an 8/1/08 date.

6. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    With Jet Li starring as the new mummy in "Tomb of the Dragon Emperor," the studio might want to tie the movie in more with the Beijing 2008 Olympics, taking place August 8 - 24. Li was born in Beijing.

"Hellboy" will now face Ben Stiller's Tropic Thunder on July 11. Just a week later, The Dark Knight hits theaters. "The Mummy" has no competition on August 1 so far.

Source

Maybe it's a wise decision not to go up against The Dark Knight. Or maybe it's all about marketing with the upcoming olympic games.

7. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    The Mummy should've taken Iron Man's spot (first week of May)

8. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001
  9. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Woah, Evy's still in?

I can't imagine that the two of them can be as good a pair as Fraser and Weisz were, but I am glad they decided to keep the character, for it's their relationship that really makes the story. Without Rick and Evy and the interplay between them, we just get another bland special effects creature film.

Also I learn that Johnathan's back, which is also a good thing. Wouldn't mind seeing Oded Fehr's character return as well, though I am glad they're not trying to do yet another Egypt story.

I thought this was a bad idea from the time they announced that Rachel Weisz would not be returning, but I may actually be interested enough to give this a shot. We'll see what the trailers do, anyway.

-Paul

10. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    The first two films were entertaining, but I too, am skeptical about the success of a third without Weisz. The pictures look good however, good enough to hold my interest until a trailer is released.

11. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    I think it looks pretty good so far and I really doubt that the absence of Weisz will make a differance.

12. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001
    He's not in Mummy 3.

It could also have been hard to fit him in since they have moved the mythology from Egypt to China?

13. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    It just won't be the same without Rachel.:(

14. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Oct 3, 2004
    That seems likely. It's a shame though, I liked Fehr's character.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It'd be funny if he arrives in China off a plane as the mummies are unleashed.

"That was my first plane ride". ;)

16. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001

Yeah, I second that. One of the most interesting characters from the other films. I wonder if we get another similar character in the upcoming film?

17. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    They really should've stopped making these flicks after they ruined the second one. The first one had great characters and a decent plot and it was reminiscent of Indiana Jones in a way. They could've easily taken Fraser's character and thrown him into different adventures and it would've been great, but they had to do a lame sequel with all the same gags and a much bigger budget. I mean, come on, they even reused the whole wall of sand thing only made it water. They couldn't come up with anything better?

The movie could've almost been good, but they just had to make a jungle full of stupid pygmies, and a CG Scorpion King that looked like something in a "made for sci-fi channel" movie.

And not having Rachel Weisz in this new one doesn't help it any... She brought some credibility to the flick, and it doesn't hurt that she's stunningly beautiful.

D_M_S_L

18. soitscometosith

soitscometosith Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2005
    I'm in the minority that think The Mummy was overrated, while The Mummy Returns is underrated and a lot of fun. I don't think a third Mummy film is a good idea, though, especially without Weisz.

19. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm just the opposite. While I enjoyed both films, I felt that Returns was certainly the weaker of the two.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Count me among those who prefer the second film. The first film had a horrible time trying to balance it's camp factor, and the attempts at it just failed miserably and were just downright annoying. It had a couple ok action sequences, and it could have seized upon the Indiana Jones factor had they foregone the camp altogether. But the brother in law and the British pilot were pointless characters and just irritating.

On the flipside, the sequel was a massive improvement over the original. Characters who were previously really damn annoying (like Evy and the brother in law) were actually given stuff to do, while pointless "comedic" sidekicks were at least replaced by actually amusing sidekicks. They also managed to find the right balance of camp factor too, and with it, the vast majority of the film's humor actually worked very well.

It developed the mythology of the first film (to the degree that I almost considered getting the first film on DVD to accompany my copy of the second movie, if only to have the full story, but I eventually came to my senses and didn't), and expanded it's scope to true Indiana Jones levels with some great action sequences, new creatures that were actually creepy (the Pigmy Mummies were particularly awesome, as well as amusing). The kid, surprisngly, wasn't annoying, and was even a capable character.

The Anubis warriors and Magi, even if underused, also added a nice level of Jediesque flair to the mix, and the score to the movie was actually exciting and rather memorable. All of which combined to make it a far superior film, or at the very least, a far more entertaining one.

There's just so many reasons why the second movie is better than the first, it's hard to list them all.

That said, there are a couple faulst with it still, mostly revolving around the Evy resurrection and Scorpion King (thoguh the prologue was fantastic).

21. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    While I eventually did get the first movie on DVD, I also prefer the second for reasons I never pondered that thoroughly, except that I saw the second one first :p

22. soitscometosith

soitscometosith Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2005
    The2ndQuest, I agree with pretty much everything you said (except I didn't have a problem with Evy being resurrected). One of my favourite small moments is O'Connell and Ardith Bey discussing who would use which gun when rescuing Evy.

23. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    I like both, but I thought the second one was better. Everything seems more epic and even the son wasn't as annoying as I was afraid he would be.

24. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001

The picture are under the (11/08/07) post.

25. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Oct 3, 2004
    Some more nice images there, Luke Ford looks like he could be a good Alex.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.